A Prophetic Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are we not commanded by the Lord to judge all doctrines and practices by scriptures?

Hello YeshuaFan,

Have you got a verse where Jesus commands that?

I recall Him saying: 'he who hears you hears me' and 'teach them everything I have commanded you'

I also recall Him saying 'do everything they tell you for they sit in Moses seat..'

But I dont recall Him ever saying 'judge all practices and doctrines by scripture'

Peace be with you!

Reactions: Giuliano

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello YeshuaFan,

Have you got a verse where Jesus commands that?

I recall Him saying: 'he who hears you hears me' and 'teach them everything I have commanded you'

I also recall Him saying 'do everything they tell you for they sit in Moses seat..'

But I dont recall Him ever saying 'judge all practices and doctrines by scripture'

Peace be with you!
The Bible alone is what we judge all doctrines by!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible alone is what we judge all doctrines by!
Isaiah 8
18 Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isaiah 8
18 Behold, I and the children whom the Lord hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the Lord of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believers need to be aware of false teachers and it's sad that when questions are raised about the legitimacy of something it is labeled as "slander". It is kind of scary that it only takes someone to say, "I have a word from the Lord for you" and people just accept it without any questions asked or using discernment. The verse stated by her was, in fact, clearly out of context as it related to Israel and the Temple (2 Chronicles 7:14). But, clearly God was thinking about 21st century America. Just like how Jeremiah 29:11 is for High School graduates.

Agree. Many times the Bible is looked at as something modern just "to me" type of thing but in reality the Bible is an ancient book written by Ancient people, written to Ancient people. Many times people ignore the context, the culture, and the literally style of Scripture.

Reactions: LC627

YeshuaFan1

Jul 22, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree. Many times the Bible is looked at as something modern just "to me" type of thing but in reality the Bible is an ancient book written by Ancient people, written to Ancient people. Many times people ignore the context, the culture, and the literally style of Scripture.
They were inspired by God, and so their truth is just as fitting for us today as they were back then!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus only relied upon the OT scriptures, and our NT books were just as inspired to us!

Dear YeshuaFan1,

If the Bible itself does not specify that doctrine, then the doctrine is self refuting..

Consider Jesus' words:

You search the scriptures, because you think you have eternal life through them; even they testify on my behalf.

But you do not want to come to me to have life.

And this:

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul tells us us that all scriptures are inspired to us and for us, and so to be used to correct doctrines and practices!

Yet, no where does the Bible say to use itself alone. The idea to use the Bible alone is man made

Reactions: Giuliano

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. made by Lord jesus and His Apostles!

Nope, not at all. Christ nor His Apostles said to go by the Bible alone. Man, not God, said to go by the Bible alone and no where in Scripture does it say to go by the Bible alone

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, not at all. Christ nor His Apostles said to go by the Bible alone. Man, not God, said to go by the Bible alone and no where in Scripture does it say to go by the Bible alone

Although I think I understand your point, and at least partly agree with it, it can be misleading. When most of us refer to the need to use written words as an authority, we are talking about the inspiration of Scripture, meaning that God gave us written words to help us retain the truth.

Obviously, it's equally important to hear the word of God in our heart, or in our conscience. Without this spiritual sense of God's word, written words can become very weak and almost nonsensical. To apply a word from God properly, in the right context, we need guidance from God Himself. His living word must accompany written words to obtain revelation from them. And we need spiritual virtue from God to put these words into action.

We just need to recognize that God set up testimonies to be written so that the truth could be preserved. As such, the Scriptures are to be used to retain orthodoxy, to correct heresy, to edify and to enlighten, so that we all grow up into one man, Christ.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I think I understand your point, and at least partly agree with it, it can be misleading. When most of us refer to the need to use written words as an authority, we are talking about the inspiration of Scripture, meaning that God gave us written words to help us retain the truth.

Obviously, it's equally important to hear the word of God in our heart, or in our conscience. Without this spiritual sense of God's word, written words can become very weak and almost nonsensical. To apply a word from God properly, in the right context, we need guidance from God Himself. His living word must accompany written words to obtain revelation from them. And we need spiritual virtue from God to put these words into action.

We just need to recognize that God set up testimonies to be written so that the truth could be preserved. As such, the Scriptures are to be used to retain orthodoxy, to correct heresy, to edify and to enlighten, so that we all grow up into one man, Christ.

I understand but I don't see it that way. I do not go by the Bible alone because to most Traditional Christians that is chucking a great portion of Christianity. St. John stated that not everything Jesus did could fit in one book and St. Paul tells us that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. The problem is the west splintered so much that there is no one universal Church like the east, where the Orthodox Church is the Church. So in that light I follow my own Church and do not think I can pick up a Bible and figure it out, for me it is at St. Paul says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth not a book. I look to the Church Fathers, my Church, and the Bible but I do not ever at all believe a book has any authority. Of course Catholics follow their Church (I am not a Catholic btw), Anglican follow their Church, and etc and than evangelicals, non denominations folk and other types follow a book that never says to go by it alone but insist that it must be gone by alone.

To me truth is just not preserved in Scripture but in oral and written both as St. Paul tells us, which includes the Church and the Fathers

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we not commanded by the Lord to judge all doctrines and practices by scriptures?

Nope, no where. Christ wasn't Bible alone nor were the Apostles. Did you know the Apostles wet against the Bible of the day. In Acts at the very first Church Council the Apostles went against Scripture and said one didn't need to be circumcised yet God's command was to be circumcised. How can this be? St. Paul gives us the answer "The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth"

Last edited: