A serious questions for the Jehovah's Witnesses on these threads.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything that makes any individual the “special one” is not promoting humility, it violates the scriptural admonition to be givers rather than receivers, and it promotes selfishness.
I cringe when I hear people say......”you can get me that for my birthday.....mother’s day....Christmas”...
Your hateful opposition to love others is palpable.

You got it all backwards. Generally speaking, occasions are for a personal milestone a loved one has reached. Each person has these special occasions - including birthdays.

Most people consider a wedding to also be that persons special day. How is that not lacking humility since the couple getting married organize the day for their benefit. Why is that okay in JW land?

Most people do not organize their own birthdays. Rather it is organized by the loved ones for the person they love.

Regarding you cringing when people say you can get my something in particular for a special occasion - like my birthday, Fathers Day, etc; it is part of a culture you abhor! I want to give to the loved ones in my life AND I’d prefer to give them something they need or want. My wife did that just this weekend. It was both, her Birthday and Mother’s Day.

AND THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT - morally, scripturally, spiritually or any other way AND it is offensive and wrong to claim such displays of love are demonically motivated.

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like the uncircumcised Gentile Christian’s of Biblical times, modern Christian’s in the West exist in a culture that has appropriated various customs from various cultures. It no longer matters what the origins are; we’ve made it our own and most people neither know nor care about history.

We’ve talked about this before....there is no such thing in the Bible......for both Jews and Christians their separation from what the pagans commonly practiced was what made them different....separated from what the world was doing.
What do you mean there is no such thing in the Bible? I just provided 2 precedents - Gentile Christians could keep eating certain foods and not undergo circumcision.

It's like you are advocating some kind of ascethic like style, not required by Christ. We are not saved by what we do but by Grace. And we are commanded, not to not celebrate birthday's, but to love others.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You oppose celebrating life of others - on the oppressive principle of not displaying love of others. Again I ask, do you think people celebrate birthdays is done out of love for that person or out of some malevolence?

No Wrangler, that is ridiculous. I personally have no horses in this race. From my viewpoint I see clearly a line of demarcation in these issues, whereas the line is blurred purposely in Christendom so that the point of separation is ambiguous and based on personal choice...that is not what the Bible teaches.
You have no horse in this race? You are deceiving yourself. Loving others is EXACTLY what the Bible teaches. Embracing the customs of others is EXACTLY what the Bible teaches! When it is convenient for your doctrine, you abandon the freedom in Christ of the new covenant and pretend like Gentiles are under the Jewish law. We never were under the law you rely on to guide you.

To influence people, you have to meet them where they are. This is why Scripture says to be ‘all things to all people by which some may be saved.’ Denying this is why you ignored my question; is it better to Paganize Christian customs or Christianize Pagan customs?
You keep skipping over these fundamental questions because it goes against your doctrine to not display love people, to not celebrate a person's life, etc.

One of the reasons Christianity has been so successful is because "being all things to all people" looks like Christianizing Pagan customs. Do you know it is not prohibited to thank God and pray in celebrating someone's birthday?

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would mean that God has abandoned his own standards.
You need to read and understand the New Covenant.

6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises. For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another ... By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
Hebrews 8:6, 7...13

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a different aspect of a serious question for JW is leaving. Last year, @Aunty Jane and I talked about my SIL's experience. You said he could formally leave. I had the opportunity to talk to him about that this weekend at a party.

He said the process is called reproving, which has the same consequences as being disfellowshipped. The victim is still shunned by their family. These 2 articles support that reality.
the elders may contact you to confirm your intention. Once confirmed an announcement will be made, "So-and-so is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses." This announcement carries an implied command to faithful members to begin shunning you, not even saying "hello" if they see you.

Abstract

What Happens to Those Who Exit Jehovah’s Witnesses: An Investigation of the Impact of Shunning
Shunning and ostracism have severe impacts on individuals’ psychological and social well-being. Members of Jehovah’s Witnesses are subject to shunning when they do not comply with the stated doctrine or belief system. To investigate the effects of shunning, interviews with 10 former Jehovah’s Witnesses, ranging in age from 20 to 44 years old, were conducted; six male, six White, one Native American, one Black, and two Latinx. Transcripts were analyzed with interpretative phenomenological analysis for narrative themes pertaining to their life after exclusion from their former faith using the context of Jehovah’s Witnesses culture. Results suggest shunning has a long-term, detrimental effect on mental health, job possibilities, and life satisfaction. Feelings of loneliness, loss of control, and worthlessness are also common after leaving. The culture of informing on other members inside the Jehovah’s Witnesses also leads to a continued sense of distrust and suspicion long after leaving.
Conclusion Excerpt​
The combination of the threat of Armageddon, the policy of shunning those who disobey Watch Tower policy ... Given the similarities between the outcomes of shunning, combined with the reported patriarchal nature of the group and the vulnerability of those who leave a high control religion, former JW populations fit the profile for familicide perpetrators and may be at high risk for suicide. The seriousness of these outcomes requires more in-depth qualitative, and quantitative analyses to further understand the implications of leaving a high control organization.
Acknowledgements
Dr. Kristalyn Salters-Pedneault, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Eastern Connecticut State University and Dr. Mary Kenny, Ph.D., Professor of Anthropology at Eastern Connecticut State University, supervised and reviewed this paper for quality as faculty supervisors.

At the party, I happened upon my SIL uncle. He was talking about how the JW has split a previously very close family. It's important to point out that my SIL and his disfellowshipped relatives continue to talk about the pain - the negative psychological and social well-being - years after leaving the organization. I did not initiate the conversation with the uncle. He was already lamenting the ongoing damage to family harmony.

So, the question is - and maybe you don't know - is there a way to leave the JW without losing your family via shunning and ostracizism?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably has something to do with slandering fellow Christians who celebrate birthdays as being true demon worshipers.
How funny!!! :jest:

I don't think a servant of Jehovah would leave his life within the Christian brotherhood because he is so eager to celebrate his birthday. Those ideas only occur to anti-witnesses, eager as they are to find excuses to hate us.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the JW religion, self is confused with selfishness.
I dont like people making a fuss over me on my birthday because I know I am nothing great.

But am I being selfish when I celebrate my birthday?
Birthdays in my family has mostly always been about my parents celebrating their children's birth.
I dont know any Christian that is so selfishly thinking about how much stuff and attention he/she can get for self on birthdays.
Birthdays are not spiritualized as being a religious practice, or bound as something that is an ordinance of God.
It is a secular celebration of ones birth.
This in and of itself does not make it a selfish act.

Matthew 16:24,
-Then Jesus said to His disciples, if anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.

Are we putting self over Jesus by celebrating our birthdate?
Is this an act of selfishness?

I've had birthdays were I was physically sick with flu, my birthday is December 8 during cold and flu season.
My parents(especially my wonderful Christian Mother) loves to let her children know just how much she loves us, how much she loved playing the part of bringing us into the world( for hope of eternal life with God of course).

Based in knowing how much my parents love to show me their love for me, when I feel terrible and would much rather ignore my birthday I go along with the celebration because OF THEM NOT FOR MYSELF!!!

I've had a number of birthdays where I hid what i really wanted to do was stay home and not go out to eat with family. All because i know my family will have a good time.
I put others over self on my birthday.
I make sure my Parents get the first choice on what part of cake they want.

I make sure to entertain my family as much as they try to entertain me.
I make sure to clean the dishes after the part and help my mother tidy up the house.

I return the love my family shows towards me and try to give back more than I received.

Jesus is teaching we must give up the selfish desires of the flesh that is SINFUL desires.
If we are to truly follow after Him.
Deny self and follow Christ is to obey the Lords commandments, John 14:15,
- If you love Me keep My commandments
- If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word....

Having birthdays is not breaking Gods commandments and practicing willful sin. One is still denying self when celebrating birthdays.
Nor is birthdays a pagan religious practice. I guess some pagan could make it so, but not so in my Christian family.

Many in the world use their birthday as an excuse for sin. more drinking, fornicating, drugging, etc. Its a practice of the world Jesus said to be no part of.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That still doesn't make a birthday siful.

Jesus also told His disciples to not have an extra pair of shoes or an extra cloak. Are you disobedient and sinning here with 2 coats and more than one pair of shoes? He also said take no money bag with you. What's in your wallet?????????

If a celebration is one huge ego trip- it is wrong. but if it is given in love by people who love another, to thank god for the day they were born and celebrate that day- nothing wrong. we are to esteem and love others. try esteeming others instead of running them down through man made rules and regulations like the Pharisees of old did.

Love comes from the heart--holidays are set by a calender date-- a big difference of what love is. Your celebrations are by man made rules and regulations.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many in the world use their birthday as an excuse for sin. more drinking, fornicating, drugging, etc. Its a practice of the world Jesus said to be no part of.
My birthday has never been a practise of sin!!!
Folks can turn any event into a sinful activity even worship!
Give some scriptures to your claim that Jesus taught against birthday remembrance?

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do not believe in esteeming others? WOW how sad! for trhat is a biblical command. And self doesn't throw a borthday party. Others do to esteem a person and hopefully thank god for their birth and life! Just like a retirement party or wjhen the Jews celebrated a bar or bat mitzvah!

Romans 14​

King James Version​

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

If you in conscience before God wish not to celebrate birthdays, fine! I defend that! but don't you dare judge another for doing so in good conscience befre God and sin a grievous sin!

Jesus accepted no glory from men-John 5:41-44-- he directed all glory to the Father.
Does a sinner deserve to be celebrated?

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a sinner deserve to be celebrated?
Sounds like you are against loving oneself.
Are you a wicked sinner?
I'm righteous, holy, justified, sanctified, and loved by God and brethren.
You think born again Christians are only wicked sinners?
Would you celebrate a lost soul who chose to give their life to God?
The angels rejoice over them in heaven, yet you wont?
What's wrong with you?
Luke 15:10,
- Likewise I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the Angel's of God over one sinner who repents.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Wrangler, it is apparent to me that you are missing the point in all these things you raise.

Love (genuine agape, whether good deeds or giving gifts) can be expressed every day, not just on the days a calendar says you must buy someone a present. The commercial system is laughing at you and taking advantage of the gullible by pulling emotional heartstrings. No sooner has one event filled their coffers, than the next one is filling the shelves. $$$$ Cher-ching. People fill in the blanks with their birthdays.

Who said wedding Anniversaries were pagan? We have no problem with wedding anniversaries because all of Jehovah’s important occasions were anniversaries....yearly commemorations of special events, but NONE of them were borrowed from paganism. They were events specific to Himself and Israel.
Weddings are God’s arrangement and a yearly remembrance breaks no law of Jehovah. All the others do....every one of them was borrowed from a satanic source, dressed up to look respectable, and never given back.

Last year, @Aunty Jane and I talked about my SIL's experience. You said he could formally leave. I had the opportunity to talk to him about that this weekend at a party.

He said the process is called reproving, which has the same consequences as being disfellowshipped. The victim is still shunned by their family. These 2 articles support that reality.
Now I wanted to address these points particularly.....as I probably already did back then....

“Reproving” is not the same as “disfellowshipping” at all.
Someone who is “reproved” has been counseled over a violation of Jehovah’s laws or standards and has expressed repentance. They are therefore NOT disfellowshipped and no shunning takes place. They may lose some privileges of service for a time. Apparently your SIL has not been truthful with you on that.

“Disfellowshipping” occurs only when someone has flagrantly violated Jehovah’s laws or standards and has expressed no regret or repentance over the action(s). Justifying and blaming someone else goes back to Eden.

Scripturally then, the elders are obligated to remove unrepentant wrongdoers from our ranks, but they are still free to attend meetings if they wish, and that is in full knowledge of the consequences of their own actions.

On what do we base our actions in shunning an unrepentant individual?
Do you understand the meaning of the word “excommunication”? It is defined as....
“the action of officially excluding someone from participation in the sacraments and services of the Christian Church.” This includes any church.

A further explanation is found in this Online Dictionary
a cutting off or casting out from communication, deprivation of communion or the privileges of intercourse," specifically the formal exclusion of a person from religious communion and privileges, mid-15c., from Late Latin excommunicationem(nominative excommunicatio), noun of action from past-participle stem of excommunicare "put out of the community," in Church Latin "to expel from communion," from ex "out" (see ex-) + communicare "to share, communicate," related to communis "common".

It is self explanatory....these people are cut off from communication with the faithful....and it is entirely biblical. You don’t have to like it.....

1 Cor 5:9-1.....
“In my letter I wrote you to stop keeping company with sexually immoral people, 10 not meaning entirely with the sexually immoral people of this world or the greedy people or extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, you would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

It is an obligation to “remove” such ones from the congregation....if they have not already removed themselves. Either way we are to treat them as violators of Jehovah’s laws or standards. The elders have authority to remove those ones and also those who cause division or who want to be contentious as if they are somehow exempt from punishment.

2 John 9-10....
“Everyone who pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. The one who does remain in this teaching is the one who has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him.”

Jesus did not say that becoming a Christian would bring joy to everyone because sometimes these hard decisions divide families as is evident in your own family’s case....bad feelings hang around like bad smells....and they like to blame everyone but themselves, remaining all bitter and twisted....telling their sad story to whoever will listen.

Matt 10:34-38....Jesus said....
Do not think I came to bring peace to the earth; I came to bring, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and whoever has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me.”

This is nothing new or unusual because it’s human nature at work......justification can lead us down a very dark path and the light of truth reveals the flaws we want to hide...but we can never hide from the one who will judge every single one of us. Standing before the same judge we will soon see who it is that has upheld Bible truth and who has sacrificed it for personal convenience or advantage....the doing of our own will rather than Jehovah’s. (Matt 7:21-23)

I know this makes you angry, but this is truth from the horse’s mouth, not from our opposers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love (genuine agape, whether good deeds or giving gifts) is to be expressed every day, not just on the days a calendar says you must buy someone a present
Contradiction alert!
Quote: "Love(genuine agape, whether good deeds or giving gifts) is to be expressed EVERY DAY, not just on days a calendar says you must buy someone a present"

But NOT on birthdays! lol

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Serious question for all witnesses to answer.

Some facts first.

1. You all in parroting the Watchtower teaching say anyone who celebrates the holidays are worshiping idols or false gods.

2. You write and speak that having a christmas tree= idolatry or even buying gifts at Christmas is a sin. Same with thanksgiving and Valentines day and birthdays. That somehow people are honoring false gods by even acknowledging these as legitimate.

So why do you call teh days of the week the same names as everyone else do? By calling MOnday , Tuesday etc. you are calling the days in honor of the p[agan gods that each of these days were dedicated to!

The Jews and early Christians did not call the days after names of pagan gods. They were the first day of the week, etc.etc. The seven day week was not officialized until the fourth century in the empire and their names also. they were named to honor gods .

so why are you so hypocritical and condemn people who celebrate Christmas to honor the birth of Jesus, but feel it is perfectly okay to name trhe name of pagan gods in honoring the days of teh week?
I wonder how you, and most others on this thread, can challenge a people for refusing to honor a day not sanctioned in scripture, yet turn a blind eye to your own stubbornness in denying the 4th commandment and upholding Sunday as sacred. The same goes for the JWs, who strain at gnats by focusing on Christmas day but honor Sunday.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you are against loving oneself.
Are you a wicked sinner?
I'm righteous, holy, justified, sanctified, and loved by God and brethren.
You think born again Christians are only wicked sinners?
Would you celebrate a lost soul who chose to give their life to God?
The angels rejoice over them in heaven, yet you wont?
What's wrong with you?
Luke 15:10,
- Likewise I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the Angel's of God over one sinner who repents.
All sin. Its only Gods view of who is righteous that counts. 99% of all religion on earth =babylon the great-the harlot-misleading billions into thinking they are righteous. However, they do NOT listen to Jesus, They give him lip service, teach very little of what he taught and have failed all who listen to them.
A real disciple of Jesus' Matt 28:19-20-- Have been taught-Every command Jesus gave and applied them. All can look at their teachers right now, as easy as 1+1=2 and see if Jesus is with them-- Jesus taught--Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God= OT-NT--without fail the teachers who Jesus is with teach EVERY utterance from God to the flock without fail.

Any can be told or think they are standing, but the test i have shown proves who is who in Gods view-the only view that counts in the end.
So if ones teacher is not ALREADY doing that--- RUN FROM THEM.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wonder how you, and most others on this thread, can challenge a people for refusing to honor a day not sanctioned in scripture, yet turn a blind eye to your own stubbornness in denying the 4th commandment and upholding Sunday as sacred. The same goes for the JWs, who strain at gnats by focusing on Christmas day but honor Sunday.
Hang on there Brakelite... Who honors Sunday among JW's?
Because we do not observe the Sabbath, all days are equally holy to us, so that our times and days of worship can be any day.
Sundays for many are just for convenience....there is no religious significance attached to the day we gather for worship.

The Sabbath was only between God and Israel. He reminded the Israelites in Deuteronomy 5:15...
"Remember that you became a slave in the land of Egypt and that Jehovah your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. That is why Jehovah your God commanded you to observe the Sabbath day."

Gal 3:24-25...
"Therefore the Law has become our guardian to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

Sabbath observance was part of the Law....it was not incumbent on Gentiles as was plainly stated in Acts 15:28-29. Sabbath was not required to be observed by Christians....though Jews could still observe it if they wished. Nothing wrong with having a day of rest.

Reactions: Keiw

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sin. Its only Gods view of who is righteous that counts. 99% of all religion on earth =babylon the great-the harlot-misleading billions into thinking they are righteous. However, they do NOT listen to Jesus, They give him lip service, teach very little of what he taught and have failed all who listen to them.
A real disciple of Jesus' Matt 28:19-20-- Have been taught-Every command Jesus gave and applied them. All can look at their teachers right now, as easy as 1+1=2 and see if Jesus is with them-- Jesus taught--Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God= OT-NT--without fail the teachers who Jesus is with teach EVERY utterance from God to the flock without fail.

Any can be told or think they are standing, but the test i have shown proves who is who in Gods view-the only view that counts in the end.
So if ones teacher is not ALREADY doing that--- RUN FROM THEM.
Second time you have posted to me which has nothing to do with the points I've made.
I beginning to think you are trying to distract folks from my points.

I was specifically referring to righteous born again christians!

You're changing the discussion to unrighteous folks claiming to be righteous.
Which dis- proves nothing about what I have already said in post #872.

However, they do NOT listen to Jesus,
John 8:24,
- Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins
Neither do the JW's

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second time you have posted to me which has nothing to do with the points I've made.
I beginning to think you are trying to distract folks from my points.

I was specifically referring to righteous born again christians!

You're changing the discussion to unrighteous folks claiming to be righteous.
Which dis- proves nothing about what I have already said in post #872.

John 8:24,
- Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins
Neither do the JW's
Yes believe he is the one sent forth from God=the Messiah-my king.
However, he is not God, he is Gods son, he has a mortal mother. God always was and always will be. Jesus has a God just like we do-John 20:17, Rev 3:12
The righteous know Gods truth-John 4:22-24--God will not accept any less. And there is no excuse. Dan 12:4 assures truth became abundant here in these last days. Thus not the truths taught through the centuries because some of them were hidden, yet still in the bible and taught on in error. Thus corrections had to be made here in these last days. All of creation saw who made corrections.