A serious questions for the Jehovah's Witnesses on these threads.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was the significance of the empty tomb? Where did the body go?
He appeared to Thomas in his flesh body. The bible doesnt say what happened to it. But Jesus was given all authority in heaven and on earth, thus can appear in his flesh body, or any flesh body he chooses. They did not recognize him the first day after being raised, so he obviously wasnt in his original body then.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What was the significance of the empty tomb? Where did the body go?
God disposed of Jesus' remains because his resurrection was not physical. (1 Peter 3:18) The scriptures prophesied that his body would not be left in the grave to decompose. Removing the body prevented those with bad motives from having access to parts of the Christ to either venerate as sacred relics later on, or to profit from financially as the tomb raiders did in Egypt.
Just as God disposed of Moses body in a place undisclosed, so God would also dispose of Christ's earthly remains in a fitting manner.

Reactions: Keiw

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God disposed of Jesus' remains because his resurrection was not physical. (1 Peter 3:18) The scriptures prophesied that his body would not be left in the grave to decompose. Removing the body prevented those with bad motives from having access to parts of the Christ to either venerate as sacred relics later on, or to profit from financially as the tomb raiders did in Egypt.
Just as God disposed of Moses body in a place undisclosed, so God would also dispose of Christ's earthly remains in a fitting manner.
You have no scripture for that, it’s speculation and whatever happened to Moses’ body is irrelevant, he wasn’t resurrected from the dead. If what you say is true Lazarus would have came back as a spirit. 1 Peter 3:19 who are the spirits in prison Jesus preached to when he was in the Spirit since you say everyone sleeps until the resurrection?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He appeared to Thomas in his flesh body. The bible doesnt say what happened to it. But Jesus was given all authority in heaven and on earth, thus can appear in his flesh body, or any flesh body he chooses. They did not recognize him the first day after being raised, so he obviously wasnt in his original body then.
There were other reasons they didn’t recognize him. He could have concealed his identity from them or it may have been because he had been beaten so badly and his beard plucked off.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were other reasons they didn’t recognize him. He could have concealed his identity from them or it may have been because he had been beaten so badly and his beard plucked off.
The bible doesnt say what you may think about it. So you cant be sure, only speculation.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was raised in the spirit.
Given the fullness of Scripture, I take this ‘in Spirit’ to apply to how God raised Jesus from the dead, NOT to mean Jesus was raised from the dead disembodied.

What spirit did God raise Jesus? In the spirit that Jesus would not be the last but first fruits. Do you believe people will be raised bodily or will they, like Jesus, be raised disembodied?

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Given the fullness of Scripture, I take this ‘in Spirit’ to apply to how God raised Jesus from the dead, NOT to mean Jesus was raised from the dead disembodied.

What spirit did God raise Jesus? In the spirit that Jesus would not be the last but first fruits. Do you believe people will be raised bodily or will they, like Jesus, be raised disembodied?
Only the little flock is promised heaven, they will be raised as spirits. The others resurrected will be flesh on earth.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What Scripture verse says this?
Read this whole passage carefully....
1 Corinthians 15:35-57.....
"Nevertheless, someone will say: “How are the dead to be raised up? Yes, with what sort of body are they coming?36 You unreasonable person! What you sow is not made alive unless first it dies. 37 And as for what you sow, you sow, not the body that will develop, but just a bare grain, whether of wheat or of some other kind of seed; 38 but God gives it a body just as it has pleased him, and gives to each of the seeds its own body. 39 Not all flesh is the same flesh, but there is one of mankind, there is another flesh of cattle, another flesh of birds, and another of fish. 40 And there are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies; but the glory of the heavenly bodies is one sort, and that of the earthly bodies is a different sort. 41 The glory of the sun is one sort, and the glory of the moon is another, and the glory of the stars is another; in fact, one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So it is with the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised up in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised up in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised up in power. 44 It is sown a physical body; it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one. 45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 However, what is spiritual is not first. What is physical is first, and afterward what is spiritual. 47 The first man is from the earth and made of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 Like the one made of dust, so too are those made of dust; and like the heavenly one, so too are those who are heavenly. 49 And just as we have borne the image of the one made of dust, we will bear also the image of the heavenly one.

50 But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Look! I tell you a sacred secret: We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption, and this which is mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when this which is corruptible puts on incorruption and this which is mortal puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will take place: “Death is swallowed up forever.” 55 “Death, where is your victory? Death, where is your sting?” 56 The sting producing death is sin, and the power for sin is the Law. 57 But thanks to God, for he gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!"

There is so much in that passage that tells us what the spiritual resurrection is all about....those who will rule with Christ in his Father's Kingdom, (his elect, who will be resurrected "first"....Revelation 20:6) have to shed their earthly bodies and be given a new spirit body in order to exist in the spirit realm.....in the presence of God. Mere mortals of flesh would perish.

Jesus is the "firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18) which means that he is the first mortal human to be raised as an immortal spirit....all who were "baptized into his death" (his joint heirs) will experience the same kind of death and resurrection as he did. But there is another resurrection to come....when Christ calls all the dead from their graves to resume their lives here on earth (John 5:28-29)....this is where God created mankind to live forever. It was never to be a training ground for heaven.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is sown a physical body; it is raised up a spiritual body

Jesus is the "firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18) which means that he is the first mortal human to be raised as an immortal spirit
Body. You forgot to end with spiritual body.

Even though I think you are wrong on this point, I still love you and believe you are a Christian. O

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t understand their insistence that he was a spirit.
I suppose that is what doctrinal purity is all about.

I'm reading a book my wife got me for my birthday about the Wild Heart of Men. In it, the author explains that Eve was created in the Garden of Eden but Adam was created from clay, the Earth itself before Eden was made and therefore outside of Eden. I'm not sure where the author is going with this or why it's important to the thesis of the book. He's laying this foundation for a reason.

Part of the JW argument that he was a spirit is that he walked through walls. To me, this is speculation. We know he was resurrected into a glorified body but all the attributes of this glory are not specified, nor do I believe they need to be.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose that is what doctrinal purity is all about.

I'm reading a book my wife got me for my birthday about the Wild Heart of Men. In it, the author explains that Eve was created in the Garden of Eden but Adam was created from clay, the Earth itself before Eden was made and therefore outside of Eden. I'm not sure where the author is going with this or why it's important to the thesis of the book. He's laying this foundation for a reason.

Part of the JW argument that he was a spirit is that he walked through walls. To me, this is speculation. We know he was resurrected into a glorified body but all the attributes of this glory are not specified, nor do I believe they need to be.
He ascended to Heaven in that body. Do we have to imagine everything the body would go through travelling through space? I just accept it’s a miraculous thing and we will have a body like that one day.

Reactions: Wrangler

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No flesh lives in heaven. Its the spirit realm. His body was raised. You actually think he wanted to remain in the flesh when he was spirit all throughout from his creation onward?

So says you- God says different! Jesus raised His body from the grave and ascended to heaven in that body now glorified which will happen to all who believe in His death and physical resurrection for sin!

Until you accept that truth- y0u have no part in the kingdom of God, no matter how religious you are with the Watchtower.

John 2:19-24

King James Version

19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
22 BUT HE SPAKE OF THE TEMPLE OF HIS BODY.
22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Until you can accept that- Gods wrath remains upon you --John3:36.