A Study of Peter's sermon at Pentecost

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
I have given my life to Christ a long time ago, and God's HOLY Spirit helps me to follow the Christian walk, which includes following God's Ten commandments....transgression of God's law the Ten commandments are no longer an issue, because the spirit of God keeps me away from transgression and also provides me the Love of God, and Love of neighbour and has softened my heart to all people...yes even you MJR and others who keep spouting their false doctrines...you are to be pitied and prayed for..you will learn the truth someday.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No man but Christ has ever kept the law, and you are not Jesus, ffor if Christ died to help you keep the law, than he died for nothing because you will be teh one found worthy and your righteousness will come by the law and not Him as it says.

Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

and

Rom 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

as for the jews

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

That is why you have such an issue wiith the law it condemns you for that is all it can do

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
And yet you gloify teh law and not Him
You should know by now, you glorify God by keeping His commandments..Jesus said in Matthew 14.15 "if you love me keep my Commandments"...and Apostle John reiterated this by saying in 1st John "by this we know we have the love of God, in that we keep His commandments and they are not burdensome"...
That is simple enough even you should understand it...

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sounds like beautiful music.

Of course that does not tell me the message that Mjrhealth gets from it nor heretoeternity understands about it. As for me a schoolteaches exists to teach me something and when I graduate I have learned that something. The Prophets not the Law are where most teachings of Christ are though there are some in the books of the Law. The lesson is in having faith according to verse 25.

I am not completely mature in faith so does that mean I am still a student in front of a teacher?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kerwin said:

Sounds like beautiful music.

Of course that does not tell me the message that Mjrhealth gets from it nor heretoeternity understands about it. As for me a schoolteaches exists to teach me something and when I graduate I have learned that something. The Prophets not the Law are where most teachings of Christ are though there are some in the books of the Law. The lesson is in having faith according to verse 25.

I am not completely mature in faith so does that mean I am still a student in front of a teacher?
The law convicts of sin. The law condemns. It does not save anyone. The lesson it teaches is that man has to trust in what God can do because a man can not keep the law. Since the law only convicts of sins God has made a better way; through the work of His Son Jesus Christ

If your faith is in what you do then you are not a child of God. God's children believe God and what He says. God (Jesus) sent Paul with His gospel of grace to a world full of sinful people. That gospel states that if you will completely trust in Jesus' work on the cross and accept it as to be your work you will be saved, period. A person must trust (have faith) in what Jesus did for mankind.

All the religious works of people will not save them. Only Jesus' work on the cross will save them. But how can it save them if they refuse to believe in what God said through Paul? To say it in another way, a person's faith must be in what God has done and not in what that person does in religion.

Acts 13:39
39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.
NKJV

Rom 3:20-22
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
God's Righteousness Through Faith 21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
NKJV

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
H.Richard,

If your faith is in what you do then you are not a child of God

Are you stating faith in yourself is a sin? If so than I agree since it is equivalent to faith in the flesh.

That gospel states that if you will completely trust in Jesus' work on the cross and accept it as to be your work you will be saved, period.

Unless you are summing it up, Paul wasted a lot of ink adding to the gospel.

I myself have found it is easier to do than to put in to words.

Paul sums it up with the words.

Romans 10:8-10New King James Version (NKJV)

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”[a] (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Footnotes:

Romans 10:8 Deuteronomy 30:14

There is not one word of grace in the passage so should we conclude grace is not involved in the gospel? By no words for those words merely sum up the gospel.

Paul also teaches those who walk according to the flesh will not inherit the reign of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)

Do you disagree with him?

Note: I may be misunderstanding you because of what parts of the gospel you chose to emphasize.

I don't think I am understanding your words.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

I assume you are speaking to H.Richard as your words do not address my point.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
heretoeternity,

Still not addressing my point though you have addressed one of H.Richard's.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

What points?

As far as I know yours are the same that think I have been hearing since I was a child and they are true to an extent. God did peak the Ten Commandments from the mountains but he only cried out for mercy. Because they asked he spoke to Moses face to face and one friend to another and had Moses declare the rest of the Law to the people of Israel.

He also wrote the ten on two tablets of stone and Moses broke those tablets in anger at the unbelieving actions of the disobedient people. God must have agreed that they did deserve his writing even those ten on tablets as he had Moses write them the second time. The rest of the commands wrote as he communicated with God in the tent of meeting.

The bottom line is that even the sacrificial Law is from God and has a purpose though that purpose has been served for Christians and did not apply to Gentiles.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
The ten commandments are written on stone by God Himself, was placed inside the Ark of the Covenant and will endure forever, and we are to follow them if we call ourselves Christian and think we are saved...the law of Moses was written by Moses in the book of ordinances which Moses read to the people and instructed them on the 600 circa circumcision, sacrificial, feast, festival, cleanliness, food laws etc..these ended in Acts 15 with the exception of the 4 mentioned.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

You act as if Scripture is not the word of God unless God himself spoke or wrote it.

Scripture on the other hand teaches us " All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.

In addition you mention Acts 15 but the letter to the Gentiles therein mentions obeying commandments that are not part of the ten.

For instance there is no command to "abstain from things offered to idols", blood, or from things strangled. In addition sexual immoral are more than just adultery, which is mentioned in the ten. In short those at Jerusalem at that time were not teaching the Gentile to obey the ten. They did not even mention most of the commandment though the list they made is not all inclusive which is why they sent Judas and Silas to cover it better.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
" All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.
Which part of the bible is scripture? The Koran is considerd a holy book and therefore is scripture do you believe it too. There was a reason why Christ gives us the Holy Spirit neglected by so many.

the law of Moses was written by Mose
The law. the ten commandments and teh law all teh bits one nneded to do to purge one os the effects of sin was all given to teh ISARAELITES by Moses from God. Yes the Law is Holy and it is good, yet here you are putting a STUMBLING block before us gentiles that was and is not ours. But you insist on TRYING to prove yourself and still you sin just like everyone else a,d you are Condemned of your sins by the law that you are so determind to keep even at the cost of your own life. There is no more sacrifces to save your from the law, Jesus did not die to save you from teh LAW He died so you would not be condmend by your sins. But since you insist on the law. there is no sacrifice for you. As you say the sacrificial laws are done away with, so now you have to pay with your own blood, as teh LAW demands it.

Act_15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Gal_6:13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

Boasting

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
mjrhealth,

The Koran was not written at the time that verse was written and neither Paul nor I are Muslims. Paul was speaking of the old testament as the new was just being written. For example the book of Revelation would not written for a number of years afterwards and I am not sure how those parts that were written were regarded in the church of that time.

It is still applied to the new testament including Revelation.

True believers that have obtained the Spirit are taught by it but Scripture is still a teaching tool they use.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If teh universe was teh extent of Gods wisdom and knowledge the bible would be less than a molecule on teh pin point of a needle yet men have made it an idlo and given it more power than God Himself. Not all teh bible is scripture, ony that what has being revealed by God, You should read it with your eyes open and soon you will see, There is much ootside teh bible that God has to give, just that few want it.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

You got it reversed, those who follow God's commandments, demonstrate love of God, and love of neighbor.

I missed these words of yours but I do not understand how they disagree with my words you say I have reversed.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
mjrheath,

I agree that God is not silent outside of Scripture. Sola Scripture should not be taken literally as it means that the correct interpretation is the supreme authority of doctrine and practices as many teachers and evangelists also believe they speak the word of God.

Sometimes I have to go outside of Scripture to get the correct contexts of Scripture especially in situations where teaching therein has been abandoned or mostly abandoned. Some of it uses an obsolete translation method that causes confusion among modern and even more ancient interpreters. For example, "Out of Egypt I called my Son" in its OT context is speaking of the children of Israel and not specifically Jesus which Matthew was well aware of. Never the less he quoted the Scripture in a new context because it is true in that context as it was a passage that the Spirit used to him of the later truth and through him to others. Matthew and the book of Hebrews both use that method though I don't believe is used much if at all in the other NT books.

I also know God speaks is symbols outside of Scripture but I have trouble interpreting them due to lack of knowledge or faith and most likely both.