A Thief Named Cognitive Dissonance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cognitive Dissonance is perhaps the most notorious thief out there because what he's after is more precious than all the gold in the world: he's after our minds. When we read or hear something that is inconsistent with our long cherished beliefs, healthy skepticism and suspicion initially keep us from bending whichever way the wind blows. However, when prayerful consideration of these new ideas leads to the inability to dismiss them as false, the resulting mental stress is known as Cognitive Dissonance.

The natural cure for this condition is simple: trust that the Spirit of Truth will lead us out of all error and into all truth. Unfortunately, the cure most people choose is the poisonous drug of "not as Thy will but my will." The desire to remain in ignorant bliss outweighs the desire to follow wherever the truth leads, be it a fiery chariot or fiery furnace.

A perfect example of this concerns the popular "Left Behind" belief that there will be a period known as the last seven years of tribulation following after Jesus comes "as a thief in the night" to rapture away the church. Rise of Antichrists, rebuilt temples, thrones, sacrifices, peace treaties, Armageddons, etc., are events that are to unfold during this time.

However, 2 Peter 3:10 KJV, says in no uncertain terms what will happen in the day that Jesus comes as a thief:

"But the day of the Lord shall come as a thief in the night, in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat; the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Peter 3:10 KLV

The obvious question arises, "How can there be a last seven years of anything when there won't be much of anything left of this planet???!!!"

But, instead of immediately accepting that there is a serious problem with "Left Behind" theology and that further Bible study is needed, Christians allow Cognitive Dissonance set in. The brain begins to consider that a little compromise now is better than the pain and discomfort of whatever necessary changes may bring. Therefore, truth is discarded unloved and error is fast retained. I've actually heard someone suggest that Jesus will come as a thief in the night "two times, the first time at the rapture and the second time at the Second Coming". After I pointed out that there is no way that can happen twice because after His first coming there'll be a giant digital clock erected in Times Square called "7 Years Countdown To The Second Coming" complete with a celebratory ball encrusted with all the trappings of Ecumenicalism and a top billed CCMM rock band waiting in the wings. An apparent realization of how absurd his suggestion was must have kicked his Cognitive Dissonance into overdrive because the debate ended there. How sad that people would rather worship at the foot of popular ideas, robbed of their good sense, than at the foot of Jesus.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
trust that the Spirit of Truth will lead us out of all error and into all truth. Unfortunately, the cure most people choose is the poisonous drug of "not as Thy will but my will."
Of course believers will still be here after the great tribulation Matt 24:29-31 NIV. Who said otherwise? Do you know who your Father is Phone?

John 15:18-25 NIV “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
It probably best to get a proper definition from professionals.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/f/dissonance.htm
Professionals stand in pulpits every week convincing people everywhere to ignore Peter's description of the destruction that Jesus is bringing with Him when He comes "as a thief in the night" so that they may continue to be held fast ensnared in the false eschatology of Jesuit Futurism aka "Left Behind theology".