Absolute must watch...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the way Lt. Commander Phillip Queeg (Humphrey Bogart--my old favorite) put it in "The Caine Mutiny":
"The right way, the wrong way, the Navy's way, and MY way."
Trouble is, I'm not the Skipper of this tub. (Thank heavens) :D
Communication is very often a problem for people bearing the label of Christian [and everyone else too]. There is another saying: "My way or the highway!" A lot of people believe that even if they do not quote it.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Communication is very often a problem for people bearing the label of Christian [and everyone else too]. There is another saying: "My way or the highway!" A lot of people believe that even if they do not quote it.
It's j-u-d-g-m-e-n-t; one "e" lol lol rotfl ;)

Or it could be Beurteilung. Hey, it does have two "e"s!!! :eek:

Reactions: amadeus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, it's gone. Who could've seen that comin'?
It even says the user account is gone.
I'm glad I don't depend on Youtube for my bread and butter. Yikes!
To be fair, the right is kinda goin' over the edge.
Although I don't really pay much attention to the left. They're too long gone.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's j-u-d-g-m-e-n-t; one "e" lol lol rotfl ;)

Or it could be Beurteilung. Hey, it does have two "e"s!!! :eek:
Ach! Kannst du Deutsch sprechen? Auf Deutsch man sagt Beurteilung oder Gericht aber auf Spanisch sagt man "Juicio".

Se debe hacerlo así:

"No tengáis respeto de personas en el juicio; así al pequeño como al grande oiréis; no tendréis temor de ninguno, porque el juicio es de Dios; y la causa que os fuere difícil, la traeréis a mí, y yo la oiré" Deut. 1:17

Oder man kann es so machen:

"Ihr sollt im Gericht nicht die Person ansehen; den Kleinen wie den Großen sollt ihr hören. Ihr sollt euch vor niemandem fürchten, denn das Gericht ist Gottes Sache. Die Sache aber, die zu schwer für euch ist, bringt vor mich, daß ich sie höre! " Deut 1:17

But for the English speaking world look at the KJV:

"Ye shall not respect persons in judgment [no "e"]; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it" Deut. 1:17

¿Puedes entenderlo ahora?
Kannst du es jetzt verstehen?
Can you understand it now?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ach! Kannst du Deutsch sprechen? Auf Deutsch man sagt Beurteilung oder Gericht aber auf Spanisch sagt man "Juicio".

Se debe hacerlo así:

"No tengáis respeto de personas en el juicio; así al pequeño como al grande oiréis; no tendréis temor de ninguno, porque el juicio es de Dios; y la causa que os fuere difícil, la traeréis a mí, y yo la oiré" Deut. 1:17

Oder man kann es so machen:

"Ihr sollt im Gericht nicht die Person ansehen; den Kleinen wie den Großen sollt ihr hören. Ihr sollt euch vor niemandem fürchten, denn das Gericht ist Gottes Sache. Die Sache aber, die zu schwer für euch ist, bringt vor mich, daß ich sie höre! " Deut 1:17

But for the English speaking world look at the KJV:

"Ye shall not respect persons in judgment [no "e"]; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it" Deut. 1:17

¿Puedes entenderlo ahora?
Kannst du es jetzt verstehen?
Can you understand it now?
Man, don't get me started.
Ich bin ein Pfalz Tramp!
Vie keine anderes!
Sembach Air Base, Class of '85.
Mein Deutsche est nicht so viel.
It always got better the more beer I drank. Spiritually dark days for me but fond memories. And I met my beautiful bride of 35 years there!!!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, don't get me started.
Ich bin ein Pfalz Tramp!
Vie keine anderes!
Sembach Air Base, Class of '85.
Mein Deutsche est nicht so viel.
It always got better the more beer I drank. Spiritually dark days for me but fond memories. And I met my beautiful bride of 35 years there!!!
Although I was in the Army for 3 years, I did not go to Germany until about 3 years after my separation from active duty. I learned my German in school and I keep it up now by reading a German Bible regularly. [Same with my Spanish]. I could get along if I had to in a limited conversation, but reading a German Bible does not help my hearing. I listen to German broadcasts once in a while and usually am unable to understand much of it because they usually speak too fast for me to follow it all.

My last friend who spoke a little German with me died in 2009. He had the questionable distinction of being an native born American citizen who was actually in the the Hitler Youth in Germany. He was born in Texas in 1926 to a German father who was a naturalized U.S. citizen. His mother was a Mexican American who had never lived anywhere but Texas when they went for a long visit with the paternal grandparents in Germany in the 1930s. War came while they were there and his father was forcibly inducted into the German Army and was killed on the Eastern Front [versus the Russians]. His paternal grandfather was a commercial sea captain and helped my friend escape with his mother via Sweden to the United States in 1941 a few months before the U.S. entered the war. My friend was a tiny little fellow about 4'10" and never in his life weighed as much as 100lbs. Even smaller than your namesake, Barny Fife!

Reactions: BarneyFife

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I will say that my SDA bro's and sisters truly have a very interesting take on eschatology. This is what first peeked my interest in truly knowing the Truth, end times.
Cannot say as i understand it all but, I do enjoy and agree to some of what you teach on this subject. Still much on the shelf...and He has made me patient in these areas.
God Bless brother!
truth is truth Nancy and like Winston said, 'malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it but in the end, there it is!'

Reactions: Nancy

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To be fair, my friend, you're no stranger to the occasional dose of verbosity yourself, you know. Or maybe it just seems that way because you use large print. :) I must admit, we have a tendency to be long-winded. I think that subconsciously, we feel that our stuff is a hard sell and, let's face it, slashes brutally across the grain of the modern western lifestyle. So again, largely subconsciously, we figure if we yell it loud enough, long enough, and often enough it'll stick to something or somebody. I'm just tryin' to be transparent, I guess. :rolleyes: (directed at myself--I have a latent fear/guilt of being disingenuous.)

I definitely express myself differently in writing than I do verbally. I suppose most people do. :cool:
I can certainly empathise with that. I have read some posts I offered years ago and they are, to be boringly brief, long winded. And I agree with your reasons why. When there is so much to offer, you get caught up in the wonder of it all and want to give everything at once. Jesus could have talked non stop night and day for decades and only scratched the surface. I don't know how He was so patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I thought it would come. I wondered how it stayed up for so long. Does it make you wonder why the left fear this information so much? I mean, if it was all just blow and nonsense, why not leave it and let everyone gloat in their stupidity?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought it would come. I wondered how it stayed up for so long. Does it make you wonder why the left fear this information so much? I mean, if it was all just blow and nonsense, why not leave it and let everyone gloat in their stupidity?
No offense, Brother B., but I just don't do the left/right thing. I don't get it. I never have. When the mark of the beast is set up all of that stuff will be long gone. So, I figure, why waste time with it now? :)

The way I see it you've got two kinds of people in the world:
People who have a time-sensitive, urgent, and relevant message;
and the people to whom the message-bearing people are indebted. :D

I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (Romans 1:14)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No offense, Brother B., but I just don't do the left/right thing. I don't get it. I never have. When the mark of the beast is set up all of that stuff will be long gone. So, I figure, why waste time with it now? :)

The way I see it you've got two kinds of people in the world:
People who have a time-sensitive, urgent, and relevant message;
and the people to whom the message-bearing people are indebted. :D

I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (Romans 1:14)
I think the left right thing is something to be observed. It really is only a recent phenomenon. It's manipulated and it's a controlled hoax, but it's in your face every day and is being used as a weapon to manipulate minds and shape society. In that sense it needs to be watched. In doing so it is difficult to not be offended at the hypocrisy and lies and ignorance that emanates from both... And one day from all of that hooplah will arise the image. It's fascinating watching it all unfold and important in our message to cut through all that thick smokescreen and bring light to the darkness. Yes, the 3am does that. Pointing to Jesus as the ONLY Savior of man. Not a synthesis of left and right, not a product of either, but the hope and glory of His kingdom now coming.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Getting back to Adventist theology and Ellen White. I haven't read everything Ellen White had written. I don't think anyone has. I mean she wrote more I think than any other female author anywhere at any time. But the general consensus among non Adventists that Adventists look to her rather than Jesus comes from a complete lack of appreciation for who she is and what she taught, and in particular what she counseled the church to do. Here an example.
It comes from a devotional called "The Faith I Live By". Incidentally, this devotional is for today, January 15.
January 15FLB 21Vital Power of the Word
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63.
Every seed has in itself a germinating principle. In it the life of the plant is enfolded. So there is life in God's Word. Christ says, "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." ... In every command and in every promise of the Word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulfilled and the promise realized. He who by faith receives the Word is receiving the very life and character of God.59
By partaking of this Word our spiritual strength is increased; we grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. Habits of self-control are formed and strengthened. The infirmities of childhood—fretfulness, willfulness, selfishness, hasty words, passionate acts—disappear, and in their place are developed the graces of Christian manhood and womanhood.60
In its power, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have been transformed into the image of God.61
Would you become assimilated to the divine image? ... Would you drink of the water which Christ shall give you, which shall be in you a well of water springing up into everlasting life? Would you bear fruit to the glory of God? Would you refresh others? Then with heart hungering for the bread of life, the Word of God, search the Scriptures, and live by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Your soul's sanctification and righteousness will result from faith in the Word of God, which leads to obedience of its commands. Let the Word of God be to you as the voice of God instructing you, and saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." Isaiah 30:21. Christ prayed, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17 FLB 21 - FLB 21.5

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting back to Adventist theology and Ellen White. I haven't read everything Ellen White had written. I don't think anyone has. I mean she wrote more I think than any other female author anywhere at any time. But the general consensus among non Adventists that Adventists look to her rather than Jesus comes from a complete lack of appreciation for who she is and what she taught, and in particular what she counseled the church to do. Here an example.
It comes from a devotional called "The Faith I Live By". Incidentally, this devotional is for today, January 15.
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63.
Every seed has in itself a germinating principle. In it the life of the plant is enfolded. So there is life in God's Word. Christ says, "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." ... In every command and in every promise of the Word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulfilled and the promise realized. He who by faith receives the Word is receiving the very life and character of God.59
By partaking of this Word our spiritual strength is increased; we grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. Habits of self-control are formed and strengthened. The infirmities of childhood—fretfulness, willfulness, selfishness, hasty words, passionate acts—disappear, and in their place are developed the graces of Christian manhood and womanhood.60
In its power, men and women have broken the chains of sinful habit. They have renounced selfishness. The profane have become reverent, the drunken sober, the profligate pure. Souls that have borne the likeness of Satan have been transformed into the image of God.61
Would you become assimilated to the divine image? ... Would you drink of the water which Christ shall give you, which shall be in you a well of water springing up into everlasting life? Would you bear fruit to the glory of God? Would you refresh others? Then with heart hungering for the bread of life, the Word of God, search the Scriptures, and live by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Your soul's sanctification and righteousness will result from faith in the Word of God, which leads to obedience of its commands. Let the Word of God be to you as the voice of God instructing you, and saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." Isaiah 30:21. Christ prayed, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17 FLB 21 - FLB 21.5
Man, that's just good stuff. You never see any of that under the microscope. And nearly all of her output is easily digestable for the uninitiated. But all you hear about is the 1% that cuts across cherished sin. I haven't read all of her work, but I can probably say that by this time I rarely if ever hear something from her that doesn't sound very similar to something I've already read or heard. She lifts up Jesus. A lot of her contemporaries were of the same mind. Many non-Adventists, in fact.

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There's a war going on B. You may not "do the left/right thing, but they are at war, and Jesus warned of such wars in Matthew 24. The first casualty of war, so they say, is truth. And the best means of cancelling truth is to cut the communications...the present media control by the left (planned by Jesuits) was accomplished a long time ago...first by controlling communications and political science etc in education so that the only product to emerge from Universities would be left leaning journalists. The rest was a cake walk. Cancel culture in full swing. This is conflict. The right of course will react. Are reacting. And resorting to desperate measures to counter attack. Many avenues of rebuttal have been taken away from them. She's a fascinating watch. None of it of course impacts God's will. If anyone think God is being handicapped or removed from His throne of sovereignty over the nations and the lives of His people, think again. "For we have a more sure word of prophecy".

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a war going on B. You may not "do the left/right thing, but they are at war, and Jesus warned of such wars in Matthew 24. The first casualty of war, so they say, is truth. And the best means of cancelling truth is to cut the communications...the present media control by the left (planned by Jesuits) was accomplished a long time ago...first by controlling communications and political science etc in education so that the only product to emerge from Universities would be left leaning journalists. The rest was a cake walk. Cancel culture in full swing. This is conflict. The right of course will react. Are reacting. And resorting to desperate measures to counter attack. Many avenues of rebuttal have been taken away from them. She's a fascinating watch. None of it of course impacts God's will. If anyone think God is being handicapped or removed from His throne of sovereignty over the nations and the lives of His people, think again. "For we have a more sure word of prophecy".
You're talkin' above my pay grade. :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In every command and in every promise of the Word of God is the power, the very life of God, by which the command may be fulfilled and the promise realized.
I love the above quote in particular. You can apply this to any text or passage of scripture one chooses. It doesn't just apply to Israel and it doesn't just apply to the church. It applies to the reader. Which is why the Sabbath isn't just for Jews, its for everyone who reads by faith and accepts the promise.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're talkin' above my pay grade. :)
LOL. Sometimes when I talk about this stuff I feel like an undercover agent about to get exposed. Out of my natural environment discussing things which can be poison to the unwary. Like me, a Kiwi living in Australia. When I first arrived here I still remember watching the berm of the motorway for snakes for the entire journey to eventual place of residence some 30 miles away. I felt exposed a little, even in the van lol.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I love the above quote in particular. You can apply this to any text or passage of scripture one chooses. It doesn't just apply to Israel and it doesn't just apply to the church. It applies to the reader. Which is why the Sabbath isn't just for Jews, its for everyone who reads by faith and accepts the promise.
And if anyone reads the Ten Commandments but doesn't believe they are relevant anymore for Christians, then the promises inherent in them...the power to obey them...will be nullified by our unbelief right? What hope of obedience then? Now some may say they obey nine of them, fine. But what did James say about those who disobey in just one? The just shall live by faith. It isn't our disobedience that will keep us out of heaven. Its our unbelief. Just as it was unbelief that kept Israel out of Canaan. Which is why, and how, righteousness comes by faith.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
which believer in Jesus can object to words of this nature?

Reactions: Brakelite