Acts 2:38 is hidden from Christendom like Jesus is hidden from the blinded Jews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Partial reprint of the commentary from Gill
AND Peter was talking to the Jews here, who had rejected Jesus Christ, so Peter was emphasizing the name of Jesus Christ, they must believe and receive him as their Messiah and be baptized in that name of the One whom they had rejected.
Context of the occasion is important in understanding.

Acts 2:38 Commentaries: Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (biblehub.com)

In the name of Jesus Christ; not to the exclusion of the Father, and of the Spirit, in whose name also this ordinance is to be administered, Matthew 28:19 but the name of Jesus Christ is particularly mentioned, because of these Jews, who had before rejected and denied him as the Messiah; but now, upon their repentance and faith, they are to be baptized in his name, by his authority, according to his command; professing their faith in him, devoting themselves to him, and calling on his name. The end for which this was to be submitted to, is,

for the remission of sins; not that forgiveness of sin could be procured either by repentance, or by baptism; for this is only obtained by the blood of Christ; but the apostle advises these awakened, sensible, repenting, and believing souls, to submit to baptism, that by it their faith might be led to Christ, who suffered and died for their sins, who left them buried in his grave, and who rose again for their justification from them; all which is, in a most lively manner, represented in the ordinance of baptism by immersion: the encouragement to it follows,

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost: not the grace of the Spirit, as a regenerator and sanctifier; for that they had already; and is necessary, as previous to baptism; unless it should mean confirmation of that grace, and stability in it, as it appears from Acts 2:42 they afterwards had; but rather the extraordinary gifts of the Spirit, particularly the gift of speaking with tongues, which Christ had received from the Father, and had now shed on his apostles; see Acts 19:5.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 36:25
Contemporary English Version
25 I will sprinkle you with clean water, and you will be clean and acceptable to me. I will wash away everything that makes you unclean, and I will remove your disgusting idols.
That is not the proper replacement verse for Acts 2:38.

It is for the Jews after Jesus returns.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grow UP. I used a historical search about how the early church baptised.
They were taught by the apostles themselves. If your theology does not line up with theirs then you are teaching another gospel.
Stick to the Bible, not early RCC fathers and their forgeries.

Sola scriptura.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly you do not know of what you speak.

"At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example.

The first question is:
On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:
Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

In 2019, reference to the holy spirit was removed altogether.

“(1) “Have you repented of your sins, dedicated yourself to Jehovah, and accepted his way of salvation through Jesus Christ?”

(2) “Do you understand that your baptism identifies you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with Jehovah’s organization?””
baptism-questions-2019.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS May 2019
Rather than follow the Biblical example of confession in Christ prior to baptism, a Witness must prove they intricately know Watchtower doctrine and law, and devote themselves to an organization - the Watchtower Society.
Nearly 90% of all denominations, including the RCC and JW's baptize in the titles of Jesus instead of his actual name.

Thay are all daughters of the RCC with differing minor opinions.

She rules them with a rod of titles.

The very worst of the bunch teach folks just to skip baptism altogether.

Theses are anti-baptismal modernists that despise their Acts 2:38 birthright.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I've said my bit. We're not going to agree. I'll never believe Water Baptism is necessary for Salvation or is the agency of our Salvation. But you can believe according to your own conscience.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

....yes, you too, Randy.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not really sure what you're trying to teach here. We are to be baptized in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost. And the Mormons did that for me and it was a good baptism.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

A...Joe.

B...Jesus.

C...Son?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

A...Joe.

B...Jesus.

C...Son?
Oh, I see the point you are trying to make I think. Hmm, well when you get to heaven let me know what Jesus said about that. But if churches are following the words of Matthew 28:19 then I believe that they are OK.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I see the point you are trying to make I think. Hmm, well when you get to heaven let me know what Jesus said about that. But if churches are following the words of Matthew 28:19 then I believe that they are OK.
Just do this my friend...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

....and don't trust the modernist phonies.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What on earth are you talking about? Professing Christians do *not* do away with Acts 2.38! You must be a member of a Christian cult?
Let's not be dishonest here. Plenty of "Christians"disagree with what is plainly written in Acts 2:38. Allen Parr is one of many "Christian" YTers and pastors that consistently argues against getting baptized. It is becoming a more frequent position among Protestants outside of the Baptist groups.

Reactions: Truther

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's not be dishonest here. Plenty of "Christians"disagree with what is plainly written in Acts 2:38. Allen Parr is one of many "Christian" YTers and pastors that consistently argues against getting baptized. It is becoming a more frequent position among Protestants outside of the Baptist groups.
Honest, I don't know many people who have a problem with Acts 2.38 if they are Christian. Sounds like there is a doctrinal debate brewing there? ;)

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Randy, 90% of all Christians refuse and openly oppose obeying Acts 2:38.(and most are evangelistic about it).

Welcome to the Christian Twilight Zone....

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Randy, 90% of all Christians refuse and openly oppose obeying Acts 2:38.(and most are evangelistic about it).

Welcome to the Christian Twilight Zone....
Well, nobody should comply with Water Baptism if it is ministered in a *legalistic* way. It is *not* necessary for Salvation. But it the recommended testimonial to accompany Salvation. I don't believe anybody has a problem with that?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, nobody should comply with Water Baptism if it is ministered in a *legalistic* way. It is *not* necessary for Salvation. But it the recommended testimonial to accompany Salvation. I don't believe anybody has a problem with that?
Do you call this "legalistic"?..

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you call this "legalistic"?..

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...
Yes, it simulates the previous appeal for forgiveness, which takes place when one repents and receives Jesus as their Lord.

If you confess your sins in the name of the Lord, you *will be saved!*

Those people who Peter called out to *were not yet saved.* He was appealing to them to accept the Lord and be baptized to show that in one fell swoop. It can certainly take place that way.

Don't turn an initiation rite into a legalistic requirement for Salvation. Don't turn a ritual into something more than it is, which does simulates a sincere demonstration of a repentant heart.

That repentance can take place *at* Baptism, or it can take place *before* Baptism. What is essential is not Baptism, but the act of repentance in Jesus' name!

And we do it in Jesus' name because Baptism in any other name simulates repentance apart from the Spirit of God, which then lacks substance. It lacks the righteousness necessary to put on in place of our old carnal way of living.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it simulates the previous appeal for forgiveness, which takes place when one repents and receives Jesus as their Lord.

If you confess your sins in the name of the Lord, you *will be saved!*

Those people who Peter called out to *were not yet saved.* He was appealing to them to accept the Lord and be baptized to show that in one fell swoop. It can certainly take place that way.

Don't turn an initiation rite into a legalistic requirement for Salvation. Don't turn a ritual into something more than it is, which does simulates a sincere demonstration of a repentant heart.

That repentance can take place *at* Baptism, or it can take place *before* Baptism. What is essential is not Baptism, but the act of repentance in Jesus' name!

And we do it in Jesus' name because Baptism in any other name simulates repentance apart from the Spirit of God, which then lacks substance. It lacks the righteousness necessary to put on in place of our old carnal way of living.
Acts 2:38 is a simulation and not a direct command?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

Who among modernism started this idea?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is a simulation and not a direct command?
Yes, you have that right. Water Baptism does not provide Salvation through the removal of bodily pollution. Nor does the external act of Water Baptism ensure that Salvation takes place on the inside.

The *only thing* that guarantees Salvation is confessing Jesus as your Lord and living it. That is repentance in Jesus' name. Don't put your faith in an external act, in an initiation ritual. Put your faith in Jesus, whose righteousness becomes yours the instant you repent of your own carnal ways.

Legalism is defined as the requirement that you do something in order to obtain Salvation. The only thing we can *do* to obtain Salvation is to repent of our own ways, adopting Christ's ways in its place.

Getting Water Baptized in order to get Saved places the onus on us to earn Salvation by obeying God in matters of rites and ceremonies. That has *never* obtained Eternal Life.

The only one who can provide Eternal Life is Christ himself, and he offers his own life free of charge, not contingent on Water Baptism, nor on other external ceremonies. Salvation is only dependent on our willingness to put our faith in Christ as the source of eternal righteousness.

When we repent of our own ways and adopt his righteousness, that's Salvation in the biblical sense. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Water Baptism provides us Eternal Life.

It only says it saves us in the sense that in doing so we accept Jesus. That can be done apart from Water Baptism as well. Baptism is *not* the essential element, but only one way of expressing our repentance.

We might as well say that getting up out of bed Sunday morning to go to church saved us because we then went to church and repented in Jesus' name. But it wasn't actually getting up out of bed that saved us! ;)

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you have that right. Water Baptism does not provide Salvation through the removal of bodily pollution. Nor does the external act of Water Baptism ensure that Salvation takes place on the inside. The *only thing* that guarantees Salvation is confessing Jesus as your Lord and living it. That is repentance in Jesus' name. Don't put your faith in an external act, in an initiation ritual. Put your faith in Jesus, whose righteousness becomes yours the instant you repent of your own carnal ways.
You keep saying what I think also.

The conscience(spirit man) is cleansed, not the flesh(carnal man).

Get up to speed in our conversation, Randy.

It is the name of Jesus while being immersed that remits sins(for conscience sake).

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Baptism is the classic example of non-unity in important matters (not just the so-called “secondary” ones), which is why I have always highlighted it as an example of a disproof of the Protestant authority principle and of perspicuity of Scripture in (miserable) application.

Scripture directly ties baptism to salvation. I fail to see how that is not fundamental doctrine:

Acts 2:38 (RSV) And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins;

1 Peter 3:18-21 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit; in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Romans 6:3-4 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. (cf. Romans 8:11, 1 Cor 15:20-23, Col 2:11-13)

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Mark 16:16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit,

John 3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, unless a man is born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. (cf. 3:3: “unless a man is born again …”)

Protestants can’t even figure out whether it regenerates or not. Some say it does; others deny it. Martin Luther certainly agreed baptism is central doctrine...

All the major Lutheran denominations hold to baptismal regeneration.... Of course, to get out of this dilemma, you can always argue that Lutherans are not Protestants, or that Luther wasn’t the founder of Protestantism.

Reactions: Truther

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep saying what I think also.

The conscience(spirit man) is cleansed, not the flesh(carnal man).

Get up to speed in our conversation, Randy.

It is the name of Jesus while being immersed that remits sins(for conscience sake).
I am up to speed. If your language changes, I will try to take that into consideration. As it is, I'm only responding to what you said last.

My point in saying that Water Baptism does not provide Salvation by removing bodily pollution is to show that it is not a required act for Salvation. It is a simulation. And that was the question.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am up to speed. If your language changes, I will try to take that into consideration. As it is, I'm only responding to what you said last.

My point in saying that Water Baptism does not provide Salvation by removing bodily pollution is to show that it is not a required act for Salvation. It is a simulation. And that was the question.
Look....

....who is right?

Peter or Randy?