Age for first ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age for first ear piercings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck PS: I think you would enjoy these hymns, speaking of the blessedness of imputed righteousness, following on from Ezekiel 16.12.

"When I stand before the throne
Dressed in beauty not my own,
When I see Thee as Thou art,
Love Thee with unsinning heart;
Then, Lord, shall I fully know,
Not till then, how much I owe." (Robert Murray M'Cheyne 1813-1843)

"How rich the precious blood He spilt,
Our ransom from the dreadful guilt
Of sin against our God;
How perfect is that righteousness,
In which unspotted beauteous dress
His saints have ever stood!" (Samuel Medley 1738-1799)

Ezekiel 16.12-14: "And I put a jewel on thy forehead (ASV & ESV: nose), and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

13 Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.

14 And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God."

The fact is that earrings and nose rings here are part of the very language of Scripture which speaks of imputed righteousness through faith.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck PS: I think you would enjoy these hymns, speaking of the blessedness of imputed righteousness, following on from Ezekiel 16.12.

"When I stand before the throne
Dressed in beauty not my own,
When I see Thee as Thou art,
Love Thee with unsinning heart;
Then, Lord, shall I fully know,
Not till then, how much I owe." (Robert Murray M'Cheyne 1813-1843)

"How rich the precious blood He spilt,
Our ransom from the dreadful guilt
Of sin against our God;
How perfect is that righteousness,
In which unspotted beauteous dress
His saints have ever stood!" (Samuel Medley 1738-1799)

Ezekiel 16.12-14: "And I put a jewel on thy forehead (ASV & ESV: nose), and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

13 Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.

14 And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God."

The fact is that earrings and nose rings here are part of the very language of Scripture which speaks of imputed righteousness through faith.
Beautiful hymns... I love those ones! I wonder how they confused forehead with nose, though..

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Beautiful hymns... I love those ones! I wonder how they confused forehead with nose, though..
@FluffyYellowDuck I just saw Ellicott's Commentary: "Literally, a nose-ring on thy nostril, the custom of the time sanctioning this mode of ornament."

(It's more and more undeniably becoming a custom of today, also.)

I think when young ppl grow up and acquire earrings, etc., these are undeniably in a sense perfectly natural developments. (At the small, very conservative local church that my wife and I attend, even a majority of the young men and boys seemed to wear earrings: particularly in some areas in a sense undeniably a quite straightforward development.) For both genders, really, do it/don't do it: it's very much an individual preference; but it's also undeniably part of the language of Scripture, isn't it?

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck I just saw Ellicott's Commentary: "Literally, a nose-ring on thy nostril, the custom of the time sanctioning this mode of ornament."

(It's more and more undeniably becoming a custom of today, also.)

I think when young ppl grow up and acquire earrings, etc., these are undeniably in a sense perfectly natural developments. (At the small, very conservative local church that my wife and I attend, even a majority of the young men and boys seemed to wear earrings: particularly in some areas in a sense undeniably a quite straightforward development.) For both genders, really, do it/don't do it: it's very much an individual preference; but it's also undeniably part of the language of Scripture, isn't it?

Yeah, I can see that! Actually I think there's something about the slaves having their ear pierced, or something, if they loved their owner and wanted to stay with them.

I had mine pierced as a baby. I cried for the first piercing in the mall (those existed) and my dad picked me up and carried me away to soothe me, until my mother caused a lot of attention by screaming as loud as she could, "Give me back my baby!!!!" :D:D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah, I can see that! Actually I think there's something about the slaves having their ear pierced, or something, if they loved their owner and wanted to stay with them.

I had mine pierced as a baby. I cried for the first piercing in the mall (those existed) and my dad picked me up and carried me away to soothe me, until my mother caused a lot of attention by screaming as loud as she could, "Give me back my baby!!!!" :D:D
@FluffyYellowDuck

This is from a hymn by Handley G. Moule (1841-1920):

"My glorious Victor, Prince Divine,
Clasp these surrendered hands in Thine;
At length my will is all Thine own,
Glad vassal of a Savior’s throne.

My Master, lead me to Thy door;
Pierce this now willing ear once more;
Thy bonds are freedom; let me stay
With Thee, to toil, endure, obey."

I don't think the hymn writer was particularly thinking of the custom of double piercing ears - it used to be one each side was the norm for a very long while. Although for several decades now doing 2 each side has become almost the norm for women. I think probably when young men and boys started doing it, it was in the context of when 40 - odd years ago teen girls (and their moms) were doing 2 each side and so if a son or a brother wanted to do it, it was probably a kind of natural justice sort of thing, like, if mom and sister had 2 each side, then for a son or brother it might seem unfair if denied even 1.

(Anyway, 2c...)

When young ppl already want to do it anyhow, then there's something nice about it (harmless...and even wholesome).

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do understand ones desire to get a tattoo, but ear piercings, if it's a girl understandable, but I don't understand guys doing it haha.

But if you then go on to talk belly buttons pierced, lips pierced and tongues pierced, it just sounds ridiculous to me and I see no point at all. I don't know how they feel eating with tongues and lips pierced even haha. Eating if you get a mouth ulcer can be painful enough anyway.
From back @Josho Well, your opinion noted... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah, I can see that!
@FluffyYellowDuck I know the thread is technically about ear piercing rather than earrings.

But the term earrings, according to varied preferences, can mean anything from the tiniest pair of studs to shoulder-hugger pendants.

And depending on what these preferences are, the pierced holes follow suit: from a single set to a row of holes for small multiple earrings.

(So it's a bigger subject maybe that it may first appear, right?)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck I know the thread is technically about ear piercing rather than earrings.

But the term earrings, according to varied preferences, can mean anything from the tiniest pair of studs to shoulder-hugger pendants.

And depending on what these preferences are, the pierced holes follow suit: from a single set to a row of holes for small multiple earrings.

(So it's a bigger subject maybe that it may first appear, right?)

It could be. :D I had 2 in one and 3 in one but they closed up when I was a teenager. They weren't professionally done.

We were kids and it was done in the front yard behind the bushes so my gran wouldn't fight out. Somehow we did one and decided I would do it three* times.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It could be. :D I had 2 in one and 3 in one but they closed up when I was a teenager. They weren't professionally done.

We were kids and it was done in the front yard behind the bushes so my gran wouldn't fight out. Somehow we did one and decided I would do it three* times.
@FluffyYellowDuck I think doing doubles/triples in the lobes came in around the late 70s. Some who do doubles/triples let the 2nds / 3rds close up, while some have worn earrings in the double / triple pairs ever since.

For guys it's now both ears that they usually do, if done at all. Usually only one each side, though.

For both genders, doing it - with however many or few holes - is so often part of growing up, isn't it?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck To have it done well there's probably a strong case to use a parlor that specializes in piercing (as well as other bodyart), rather than rely on mall kiosks where teen employees without a lot of experience use the gun method. (In hindsight you would probably agree...)