Age for first ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age for first ear piercings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That was going back about 35 years farouk and they are all old men by now. I just got myself some new ones:
1401967971-45932300.png
@Pearl Those are nice. And long ones, too. Among the longest ones you've tried so far, maybe?

Anyway there is something nice and special about long ones.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Those are nice. And long ones, too. Among the longest ones you've tried so far, maybe?

Anyway there is something nice and special about long ones.
I think they are about 1 1/2 inch drop so not too long. The stone is a peridot. Ray has bought them for my birthday but because he can't type anymore with his fingers not feeling anything I ordered them. And I bought these for my daughter's birthday next Friday. They are quite tiny. She doesn't like danglers.
1515767452-48961500.png

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think they are about 1 1/2 inch drop so not too long. The stone is a peridot. Ray has bought them for my birthday but because he can't type anymore with his fingers not feeling anything I ordered them. And I bought these for my daughter's birthday next Friday. They are quite tiny. She doesn't like danglers.
1515767452-48961500.png
@Pearl Yes, those peridot stones seem to hang effectively from the cavities in the pendants. Kind of, a pendant within a pendant, each of which 'live' according to their own little dynamics, I guess, within the surrounding ones; jewelry design can be very absorbing, can't it? Seems like your daughter is more minimalist, when it comes to simple earlobe studding. (She is the one who you said acquired the family names' tattoos that you mentioned?)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Yes, those peridot stones seem to hang effectively from the cavities in the pendants. Kind of, a pendant within a pendant, each of which 'live' according to their own little dynamics, I guess, within the surrounding ones; jewelry design can be very absorbing, can't it? Seems like your daughter is more minimalist, when it comes to simple earlobe studding. (She is the one who you said acquired the family names' tattoos that you mentioned?)
The one with the tattoos is my other, older daughter.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The one with the tattoos is my other, older daughter.
@Pearl Yes, well bodyart can be like that; each individual member will have very individual tastes, often; not unusually it's the sons and daughters that are around 18 or so who will want to get inked up first, but not necessarily so. Interesting how in the same family also some will be into long pendants, others into minimalist ear studs. It's not family conditioning that makes them like that, as regards piercings and ink; it really is individuality that is asserting itself, isn't it?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...hey Farouk was right about ear rings.
@MatthewG Yes, well, it can be a really manly thing for adolescent young men to get accustomed to wearing a pair of thick little rings or chunky ear studs; I guess the idea is that it shows they are growing up. Their moms or sisters might expect sometimes to wear rows of multiple earrings but the really manly equivalent may well be keeping a simple pair of thick, chunky ones in.

(It's not surprising if a growing young man aspires to have them put in; a bit like growing a beard, I suppose.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That was going back about 35 years farouk and they are all old men by now. I just got myself some new ones
@Pearl For men they are often kind of more optional, although for many women they are more a part of their essential sense of how they are. Like, my wife does not consider herself dressed if she does not put on her face. Likewise, putting something through the ears is kind of similar, for many, I think (and perhaps for you also).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Earrings for men seems to be a trend that has died a death over here. It's our Golden wedding anniversary next month and my husband doesn't wear a watch, cufflinks of tie pin so i asked if he'd like his ears pierced so I could get him some earring instead. I can't describe the face he pulled. :D
Hi @Pearl

This is the post I was referring to when you mentioned about your 50th anniversary.

(I guess that earrings are likely to feature as a gift that might be wished for.... :) )

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Pearl

This is the post I was referring to when you mentioned about your 50th anniversary.

(I guess that earrings are likely to feature as a gift that might be wished for.... :) )
I'd forgotten about that. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I bought these for my daughter's birthday
@Pearl Yes earrings do make excellent b-day, Christmas, anniversary, etc. gifts. The little chunkies are probably better for men. (It's worthwhile having a good idea beforehand what the person's taste in her or his earrings is, though.)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After my wife's father died, we'd spend Thanksgiving with her Mom down in Florida, then bring her up here for a week. She'd never worn anything but clip-on earrings, so my wife took her to the mall to get her ears pierced for the first time when she was in her early eighties.

I was blessed to have had a mother-in-law who was an absolute delight. A classic southern lady from Georgia.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now as for me, I'm holding off getting my ears pierced until it has reliably been determined that Hell has frozen over.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
After my wife's father died, we'd spend Thanksgiving with her Mom down in Florida, then bring her up here for a week. She'd never worn anything but clip-on earrings, so my wife took her to the mall to get her ears pierced for the first time when she was in her early eighties.

I was blessed to have had a mother-in-law who was an absolute delight. A classic southern lady from Georgia.
@Lambano Sounds like she was a fine lady, indeed...

Yes, and it's not unusual for older women in their 80s to have double pairs of pierced earrings; you mentioned your MIL getting her first pair pierced in when she was in her 80s. Fact is, in the late 70s teen girls and their moms were having double piercings put in; and now those daughters would be approaching 60, and their moms maybe in their 80s.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm holding off getting my ears pierced
@Lambano Not for everyone but it's so, so widespread.

With all the things that can sometimes go wrong, the tattoo parlor is often the best place to have them done, right? with all the facilities that they have.(I think @Heart2Soul said that in her work she sometimes sees the effect of when it does go wrong; she would probably advise similarly, IDK...)

PS: I should say, Possibly, not probably...

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano Not for everyone but it's so, so widespread.

With all the things that can sometimes go wrong, the tattoo parlor is often the best place to have them done, right? with all the facilities that they have.(I think @Heart2Soul said that in her work she sometimes sees the effect of when it does go wrong; she would probably advise similarly, IDK...)

PS: I should say, Possibly, not probably...
Absolutely!