Age for first ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age for first ear piercings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I voted 16-18. I think the decision should be the persons when they're old enough to realize what they're asking for.
I've seen newborns with pierced ears. That's ridiculous. That little precious bundle suffering the pain of that piercing gun and not knowing what it is all about does have an emotional impact on that youngster. It's a parents selfishness not a child's choice.
What to pierce next? Please.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I voted 16-18. I think the decision should be the persons when they're old enough to realize what they're asking for.
I've seen newborns with pierced ears. That's ridiculous. That little precious bundle suffering the pain of that piercing gun and not knowing what it is all about does have an emotional impact on that youngster. It's a parents selfishness not a child's choice.
What to pierce next? Please.
@WaterSong Thanks for your comment and vote. I see what you say. The broader issue I guess may be that some secularists think they have the right to ban Jews from circumcising their sons until they are virtually adult. This is why parental discretion is an important thing to respect, IMHO.

Reactions: WaterSong

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
To be honest,
what I see going on today with the youth...
I never seen blue hair until I was in my 30's.
@Ziggy Actually some older women seem to like to put red or blue streaks in their hair. (My wife doesn't color hers any more, though. She did do maroon at one stage.)

Double ear piercing, though, has been around for decades that often it's older women who have had their doubles for 40 years.

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WaterSong Boys often do it about then. Girls sometimes a bit younger. Pretty harmless for both, I guess; it's so widespread.
Men or boys with both ears pierced isn't something I find attractive. I remember when that began as a trend. And shortly after and not all that surprising came the murse. A man's purse. And on and on.

Feminizing the male image. One tile on the road to normalizing immoral sins like transsexualism and homosexuality.
Just my view.

Reactions: Brakelite

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WaterSong Thanks for your comment and vote. I see what you say. The broader issue I guess may be that some secularists think they have the right to ban Jews from circumcising their sons until they are virtually adult. This is why parental discretion is an important thing to respect, IMHO.
Thanks for sharing that. Though I am at a loss as to how circumcision enters into a talk about pierced ears. I've witnessed newborn's being circumcised in hospital. I have pierced ears. Not even close to the same thing. :eek:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@WaterSong PS: As regards women doing double ear piercing, it's been around for so long now that women of all ages do it; e.g., as when teen girls (and their moms) were doing it in the late 70s, so that a 19 year old in 1979 would now be 60 and her mom aged around 49 in 1979 would now be 90: it really is very established to do doubles now.

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@WaterSong Well, it's in the Bible as regards bondservants of both genders. Including underlying the language of Psalm 40, anyway. Thanks for your comment.
Something I've noticed in your posting style. It reminds me of an article I read not long ago that related how to tell someone they're wrong by first seeming to agree their view is right.
It's a bit of a condescending tone. If that's not your meaning please understand that's how it comes across in a few of your posts now.

I'd suggest you consider the pierced ears we're speaking of in this thread has nothing at all to do with bond slaves. Nor with the boring into one's earlobe by the ceremonial martzayah.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

I have a grand daughter who is allergic to some of the available earrings etc. because of the metals that they are made out of and her ear become infected.

I was on a food van the other day and I noticed an older gentleman who had pierced earrings and one of his ear lobes was infected badly. It was very red and did not look good or healthy to endure.

There is a requirement of the Lord that suggests that the Saints should not indulge in any cutting or piercings of the body like the heathens do.

But why worry about that when we can encourage people to freely indulge in those sorts of practices.

That is why the "never" box was added. It was not originally part of the options in the survey for this thread. I had to ask that it be added as an option to vote for.

Shalom

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boys often do it about then. Girls sometimes a bit younger. Pretty harmless for both, I guess; it's so widespread.

Sometimes harmless perhaps, but should we judge according to black and white rules? What if God speaks to our heart of another Way?

"And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem." Gen 35:4

What does the scripture say to us? What does God say to His sheep? Are we His sheep hearing Him or are we hearing only the voices of strangers?

"But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep." John 10:2-7

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello,

I have a grand daughter who is allergic to some of the available earrings etc. because of the metals that they are made out of and her ear become infected.

I was on a food van the other day and I noticed an older gentleman who had pierced earrings and one of his ear lobes was infected badly. It was very red and did not look good or healthy to endure.

There is a requirement of the Lord that suggests that the Saints should not indulge in any cutting or piercings of the body like the heathens do.

But why worry about that when we can encourage people to freely indulge in those sorts of practices.

That is why the "never" box was added. It was not originally part of the options in the survey for this thread. I had to ask that it be added as an option to vote for.

Shalom
@Jay Ross Important comment about allergies and infections; thank-you. One can bear in mind also that in North America a huge proportion of preachers' wives, not to mention members of the their congregations, would not unusually wear earrings.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sometimes harmless perhaps, but should we judge according to black and white rules? What if God speaks to our heart of another Way?

"And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem." Gen 35:4

What does the scripture say to us? What does God say to His sheep? Are we His sheep hearing Him or are we hearing only the voices of strangers?

"But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep." John 10:2-7
@amadeus Great verses there; thank-you. We can bear in mind also that the bondservant's ear piercing is part of the language of Scripture, even of Psalm 40, speaking Messianically; and Ezekiel 16 includes earrings as seemingly part of the symbolic description of the truth of imputed righteousness bestowed by the Lord.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus Great verses there; thank-you. We can bear in mind also that the bondservant's ear piercing is part of the language of Scripture, even of Psalm 40, speaking Messianically; and Ezekiel 16 includes earrings as seemingly part of the symbolic description of the truth of imputed righteousness bestowed by the Lord.
All the verses may be as you put it, "great", but what we hear as His sheep is what matters. God is always speaking to His sheep, but those who are not his sheep in the moment may well be hearing from strangers even as they read the scriptures. Who is a sheep and who is a stranger? We don't decide... rather God does! We need to be listening!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hadn’t seen this, I’ve kinda backed off the forum for a while. I’ll take a look and vote

thanks.
@Waiting on him Thanks for your vote. Yes, a lot of families see the wisdom of doing it at 15 or under, anyway. A lot of boys do it also; at the small, conservative local church where my wife and I attend, probably a majority of the young men and boys would wear earrings, in fact; it's probably got a lot to do with what their moms think is appropriate for them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
All the verses may be as you put it, "great", but what we hear as His sheep is what matters. God is always speaking to His sheep, but those who are not his sheep in the moment may well be hearing from strangers even as they read the scriptures. Who is a sheep and who is a stranger? We don't decide... rather God does! We need to be listening!

I take your point indeed; thanks; at the same time we can't get away from the language of Scripture itself, as mentioned in the contexts elaborated.