All Are Under Sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
All are under sin:

It was asked by someone “would God ask us to do what we couldn’t do?“

The answer is yes, He asked the Jews to keep the Law of Moses. However, when they, the Jews, killed their Messiah (Jesus) He concluded that no man could keep the Law of Moses and He had another plan to save sinful men, a plan to shed the blood of His righteous Son on the cross to pay for the sins of mankind.

Romans 3:9-10
9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
NKJV

Galatians 3:21-26
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.
22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
NKJV

In this age of God’s grace salvation in not obtained by “not sinning in the flesh.” It is only obtained by a person placing their belief in the work of God on the cross. That means to deny that the person can do anything righteous to save him/her self and to simply place all their faith, trust, confidence and hope in what Jesus did on the cross. To claim His work on our behalf is our salvation. Jesus (God) gets all the glory and praise.

In this age of God’s grace all God asks a person to do is trust in His plan of salvation by placing their faith in His Son’s work on the cross. It is the only way that a person can be saved and yet many do not believe it is that simple.

2 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
NKJV

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
I don't see a single thing to debate. The bible makes it very clear from OT - NT that we are sinful and need to repent or we will surly perish.
For anyone to deny that we are sinful is to also say that Christ died for nothing. No one can fulfill the law of Moses or be considered righteous before God without the blood of Christ.
Nice to see a post where everything is in order...no twisting of scripture or some weird interpretation.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
I don't see a single thing to debate. The bible makes it very clear from OT - NT that we are sinful and need to repent or we will surly perish.
For anyone to deny that we are sinful is to also say that Christ died for nothing. No one can fulfill the law of Moses or be considered righteous before God without the blood of Christ.
Nice to see a post where everything is in order...no twisting of scripture or some weird interpretation.
What came first, think about it now before answering, faith or works( you call it repenting) in your experience with God? Think about it... Not looking for a nice post to see, just honesty...
fivesense

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
What came first, think about it now before answering, faith or works( you call it repenting) in your experience with God? Think about it... Not looking for a nice post to see, just honesty...
fivesense
If I understand your question correctly then you wanted to know whether I repented or believed first in my own personal experience with God...I am assuming you mean the moment of conversion. In all honesty I can't say...I believed which caused me to repent...but my repentance resulted in me believing. I guess what I am trying to say is that I didn't repent and then believe or believe and then repent...they were both combined. Can't explain how too well but both faith and repentance were present at the moment of my conversion.
One thing is for sure...both the my faith and repentance came from God...not of myself...

I hope this helped answer your question...

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
the question is

once we have repented and forgiven of our sins, are we still sinners or "living in sin"

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
the question is

once we have repented and forgiven of our sins, are we still sinners or "living in sin"
When a person repents and places their faith in Christ, they are justified. It is a legal declaration that comes from the throne of God declaring that person to be righteous. So are we still sinners? Not at that moment but we still do sin. Will we still live in sin? No.
Can we live in sin like we did before? No.
Upon receiving salvation, there will also be evidence that we have been saved through the work of sanctification or growing in holiness. When we stumble the father will discipline us and put us back on the right path. There is also a necessity to continue on in repentance and in faith.
A person can't just repent one time in their life and expect to be justified from that point on. They must continue in repentance...unless you can abstain from sinning from that point on. However that is impossible and anyone who claims otherwise is, in the same breath, denying the need for God to come and die for us.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
When a person repents and places their faith in Christ, they are justified. It is a legal declaration that comes from the throne of God declaring that person to be righteous. So are we still sinners? Not at that moment but we still do sin. Will we still live in sin? No.
Can we live in sin like we did before? No.
Upon receiving salvation, there will also be evidence that we have been saved through the work of sanctification or growing in holiness. When we stumble the father will discipline us and put us back on the right path.A person can't just repent one time in their life and expect to be justified from that point on. They must continue in repentance...unless you can abstain from sinning from that point on.
I find your responses to be accurate and true to the word James. I enjoy your usage of sound, biblical wording. I am merely trying to amplifiy what is being overlooked in this thread, that

it is God Who is both working both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Php 2:13.
There is not alot of room for any more players here. It's not quite what I would call a "team effort". Like all God's gracious dealings with men in the past; it is overwhelmingly one-sided, with God being faithful while we are not.

There is too much emphasis here on the power of sin working in our members, a power that will seek dominion over us til death arrives according to Paul, and not enough light on the power of God. His complete package deal for us as Paul was told by the Lord to lay out to us, is being ignored. What about us being His workmanship, His elect, His Body, His superabounding grace?

The whole sin thing is a dead issue.
First at Calvary,
then the calling out personally by His Father,
then the giving of the earnest of the Spirit as a seal,
then the justification,
and this on-going process of "glory to glory" diminishing our flesh by grace trumping sin.

I mean, at which point do you insert."that's the moment I must have ceased from sinning, or mostly ceased, or kind of strongly wanted to anyway? Doesn't it clearly say that we needed a Savior, that He was supplied, it is finished, and we are HIS workmanship? How far down the sewer of human reasoning does one need to go before realizing that what they perceive don't really matter once He has His call on your life, that it don't stop til your dead, and He never quits? Is He playing games with us, or what?
And what kinda message is this?

"There is also a necessity to continue on in repentance and in faith.
However that is impossible and anyone who claims otherwise is, in the same breath, denying the need for God to come and die for us."
Sounds like something a politician would say, or some kinda salesman.
fivesense

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Hey fivesense. You kind of butchered my response by mixing in your response. I'm sure it was an accident. It had me confused at first...

I mean, at which point do you insert."that's the moment I must have ceased from sinning, or mostly ceased, or kind of strongly wanted to anyway?
If you ask people this question, you will get a variety of different answers. The main reason is that people tend to place themselves higher or more important than God. You see this all the time and especially in regards to salvation. People will refer to salvation as a decision they have made. Salvation to most people is no more than making a decision to accept Jesus or to pray a prayer and ask to receive Him.

The problem with this is people fail to realize that salvation belongs to the Lord. It comes from Him and is to return to Him in praise, honor and glory. It's not about us making a decision to get saved. It's about God working repentance in our hearts along with faith. Why? To display His greatness and power and mercy and everything else, not just to us or heaven but even beyond. When we come to Him, he transforms our hearts to desire Him above all things. As we grow in that desire (sanctification) we will over time hate sin more and more and commit sin less and less while at the same time we will love righteousness more and more. This all starts at the moment of our salvtion. How do we know we have been saved? There will be a huge turning point. You will shift from living in the world and loving the things of the world to Christ in that exact moment. There will be immediate and noticeable changes. Not just noticeable by you, but also by others...

No one can cease from sinning. God knew this from the beginning and He made it possible for us to receive salvation through His Son...which of course is nothing new to us.

Doesn't it clearly say that we needed a Savior, that He was supplied, it is finished, and we are HIS workmanship?
We do need a Savior and the only ones who reject it are lost and damned. Christ's work on the cross was completed when He rose from the dead and ascended up to heaven. This was to fulfill His promise and demonstrate His attributes. And yes, we are His workmanship if we are truly born again. I keep mentioning sanctification, but it applies to everything. Those who are truly in Christ will be molded and shaped by the work of the Holy Spirit according to the will of God.

What's the will of God? Your sanctification! It's one of the evidences that we are truly children of God because it will be a reality in our lives.

How far down the sewer of human reasoning does one need to go before realizing that what they perceive don't really matter once He has His call on your life, that it don't stop til your dead, and He never quits?
I'm glad you brought this up because it makes a really good point about Christianity and that is this...eternal life begins at the moment of our salvation. Not when you die and go to heaven. It starts right now and will continue...