Am I alone

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always consider the KJV to be the Pure Word of God, not by any means the only Pure Word in the English language I love most translation written at that time also NKJV, the Amplified Bible, Webster and Jubilee just to name a few. Don’t care for most modern translations not because of little word changes but questioning at least twice a 12 verse passage or more Mark 16:9-20, John 7:53-8:11. I say at least twice because some in this area of Bible Criticism have question whole books, like James, II Peter and Jude.

IMO some of these are wolves in sheep’s clothing, but I have known many a True Believer who do this and it just disheartening to me. I guess one little verse hurts the most I John 5:7; why I would say at least half of the True Church if not much more, consider this verse added at a much later date. So am I alone, or perhaps many of you are like me and keep hearing the serpent’s word to Eve: …Yea hath God said… Genesis 3:1?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always consider the KJV to be the Pure Word of God, not by any means the only Pure Word in the English language I love most translation written at that time also NKJV, the Amplified Bible, Webster and Jubilee just to name a few. Don’t care for most modern translations not because of little word changes but questioning at least twice a 12 verse passage or more Mark 16:9-20, John 7:53-8:11. I say at least twice because some in this area of Bible Criticism have question whole books, like James, II Peter and Jude.

IMO some of these are wolves in sheep’s clothing, but I have known many a True Believer who do this and it just disheartening to me. I guess one little verse hurts the most I John 5:7; why I would say at least half of the True Church if not much more, consider this verse added at a much later date. So am I alone, or perhaps many of you are like me and keep hearing the serpent’s word to Eve: …Yea hath God said… Genesis 3:1?

I wanna make sure im understanding your question. Are you asking about which translation of the Bible is best? Or are you asking if we agree that 1 john 5:7 was written by john himself?

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanna make sure im understanding your question. Are you asking about which translation of the Bible is best? Or are you asking if we agree that 1 john 5:7 was written by john himself?

i am asking why so many Christian today think it is our job to try to correct the Bible and question the Word, just as the serpent did the women, Yea, hath God said? Instead of letting the Scriptures correct us. About the best translation of the Bible, I happen to believe there are many perfect English Translations of the Bible as listed earlier not just the KJV. Would never recommend any Translation I didn’t think was Perfect. I would recommend the Amplified Bible to anyone, but not the NIV. While I don’t recommend the NIV my father, mother, brother, and sister all read it and i am so thankful to God they do, they know I don’t care for it, but I rather they read that than try to force them to read a translation I like but in doing so driving them away from God.

The message of Christ should be a simple easy to understand message, but with all thee higher learning Bible Criticism experts, each day it loses it simplicity: But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. II Corinthians 11:3.

Many years ago I heard a joke that made me laugh now it brings tears to my eyes. “If modern Bible translators keep it up pretty soon the 5000 will be feed on a bucket of Kentucky fried chicken,” tha I thought it was so absurd but now I think it coming true.

I know I believe I John 5:7 to be authentic and I’m don’t want to know any bodies else’s view on it because I know this is an area which i am weak in my Christian liberty. But why, oh why is it okay for believers to try and correct the perfect Word of God? I know there view is it has mistake because it had been copy to many times.

I apologize for this rant and hopefully I didn’t confuse you more. Just so frustrated with people questioning my All Powerful God not being able to preserve His perfect love letter to His church.

Reactions: ScottA and Nancy

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do understand that the All Powerful God is capable of correcting man made errors too though, aren't you?

I have always consider the KJV to be the Pure Word of God, not by any means the only Pure Word in the English language I love most translation written at that time also NKJV, the Amplified Bible, Webster and Jubilee just to name a few.
Was that because you were raised with it? I personally find the archaic language off-putting and as a Bible teacher, would never recommend a KJV or similar to a new student. Its language is too confusing. The reason being that a "translation" is intended to convey what is written in one language clearly expressed in another. Some treat the KJV as if was written by God himself, but we have to remember that the original scripture was not written in English...especially not in archaic English, which no one today speaks unless they are in a Shakespearean play.....

The fact is that languages change over time, which also affects Bible translations. A translation that was easy to read when it was first produced may not be so clear later on.
A good example of this is the King James Version, first produced in 1611. It became one of the most popular English Bibles. However, the wording used in the King James Version was actually revised over time to make adjustments for minor language changes. This translation used the name "Jehovah" a few times. In most places in the Hebrew Scriptures where God’s name was originally found, it used the word “LORD” in capital letters. Later printings also used the word “LORD” in capital letters in some verses in the Christian Greek Scriptures that were quoted from the Hebrew scriptures. In this way, the King James Version at least acknowledged that God’s name belonged in the so-called New Testament.
The Bible is one testament....none of it is 'old or new'....it is all the unalterable word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Don’t care for most modern translations not because of little word changes but questioning at least twice a 12 verse passage or more Mark 16:9-20, John 7:53-8:11. I say at least twice because some in this area of Bible Criticism have question whole books, like James, II Peter and Jude.
If we believe that the whole Bible is God's word, then we can be confident that any additions or subtractions would come to light, be exposed and corrected. No?
Those verses were not included in the earlier manuscripts and hence do not belong in God's inspired word. If they were not in the earliest manuscripts then someone added them later. Do you still want them there? I have to ask why?
what

IMO some of these are wolves in sheep’s clothing, but I have known many a True Believer who do this and it just disheartening to me.
We have a duty to teach God's word in its entirety.....identifying what belongs there, and what was added later is important....isn't it?

I guess one little verse hurts the most I John 5:7; why I would say at least half of the True Church if not much more, consider this verse added at a much later date.
There is a good reason for this....it was not in the earliest manuscripts either.
1 John 5:7-8....
"For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement." (NASB)

From the Greek Interlinear....."For hoti there are eimi three treis that ho testify martyreō: 8 the ho Spirit pneuma and kai the ho water hydōr and kai the ho blood haima; and kai the ho three treis are eimi in eis · ho accord heis."
So there was nothing in the original manuscripts that confirmed the trinity because the Jews never knew their God as a threesome.
Their God was "One". (Deuteronomy 6:4)

So am I alone, or perhaps many of you are like me and keep hearing the serpent’s word to Eve: …Yea hath God said… Genesis 3:1?
I'm sure you are not alone......but since the devil is a very busy fellow...who knows what he is capable of doing...?
Maybe the serpent has been whispering in other quarters....maybe he was saying to the translators, you need to add a bit here?
dunno

Reactions: JohnPaul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess one little verse hurts the most I John 5:7; why I would say at least half of the True Church if not much more, consider this verse added at a much later date.
That is the power of propaganda and disinformation. Westcott & Hort perpetrated a hoax on Christendom, and very few protested against it and rejected the Revised Version (RV) of 1881. Today that version lies in the dust heap.

1 John 5:7 is authentic Scripture and once it is removed from that passage, the passage makes absolutely no sense (just like the removal of John 7:53-8:11 destroy the sense of that section of the Gospel). But even Jerome's Latin Vulgate completed around AD 380 has this verse (subsequently corrupted in the newer editions). And the Bishop's Bible of 1568 also has this verse.

LATIN VULGATE
Quoniam tres sunt, qui testimonium dant in cælo: Pater, Verbum, et Spiritus Sanctus: et hi tres unum sunt.
BISHOPS' BIBLE
For there are three which beare recorde in heauen, the father, the worde, and the holy ghost, and these three are one.
KING JAMES BIBLE
For there are three that beare record in heauen, the Father, the Word, and the holy Ghost: and these three are one.
(original words)
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (standard text)

So we can rest assured that there is overwhelming support for a very important verse which plainly declares that the Holy Trinity is in Heaven.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It appears many of the longer readings were added into the received text, Arkansas James, but I've come to realize there were just reasons for doing so. I think they were clarifications on the earlier texts to keep heresy from spreading as the Christian faith developed. Unfortunately this did not stop it from happening anyway.

That said, I'm a strong proponent of studying the original texts in both the longer and shorter readings. In most cases you will find absolutely zero theological contradictions; it's just a matter of what was included in some texts and what wasn't in others.

As for heavy duty "Bible Critics" who throw out entire books, those are rank heretics who have no business even commenting on the word of God, and a true Christian has no business giving them the time of day either.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Jesus is the only pure word of God AJ; listen to him!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not getting into another argument about bible translations. i want something more edifying.
Identify the 'Word of God' and all arguments will gain their perspective. Fail to identify it and the confusion and arguments become as plentiful and intense as those of Christ denying religious Jews

Reactions: bbyrd009

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johannine Comma - Wikipedia

Mark 16 - Wikipedia

I wouldn't assume nefarious motives of the translators. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they are motivated by a sincere desire to recover God's Word in its original form. Yes, these are fallible human beings with biases and agendas, and that includes Erasmus and those men who decided what should and should not be defined as the Textus Receptus.

Ultimately, our trust MUST be not in the Bible itself, but in the Christ to whom the Bible points.

39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. (John 5:39, NKJV)

(Ironically, in the verse above, the KJV mistranslates the Greek verb ἐρευνᾶτε ("You search") as an imperative ("Search!"), when the Textus Receptus has it in the Present Active Indicative case. The NKJV corrects the error.)

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i used to have a website on my favourites that compared different translations of the bible but have lost it. Does anybody know of it.

Reactions: Nancy

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The modern translations starting from 1881 have done more harm than good.

The Devil loves them, as he helped lead to the creation of quite a few.

Here is what a believer must always find out.....
You have to find out what the SOURCE believes, and then you have found the truth about the source.

So, if a (Scholarship/Translator) group of Mormons or JWs, or Preterist's, or Catholics get together, and create 4 "New" Bibles, and they all use the same LIE.....to sell it...... as uaual....>"easier to read and more clear".....as that is the 100 yr old hype that is always the reason for the "next new Bible".....
Then look ...
Look.
Look....= who has created the "new Bible"? See the SOURCE?

So, always go to the source to find out what they BELIEVE and then, you can protect yourself from bibles that are not bibles, and denominations that are not of God.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wouldn't assume nefarious motives of the translators.
Wikipedia will not give you the truth about this issue and is know to be deceptive and biased.

But as a matter of fact Westcott & Hort did have nefarious motives. Hort called the Received Text "that vile Textus Receptus", even though it was the exact opposite of vile. He subverted the plan of the Revision Committee to make as few necessary revisions to the Authorized Version as possible by introducing a brand new Greek text based upon the two most corrupt manuscripts. As a result the Bible was changed in several thousand places.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Biblegateway or Biblehub are my go to's.
I use those and blue letter bible website. But the one I was meaning was a comparison of what was good and bad about different translations.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not getting into another argument about bible translations. i want something more edifying.

Thanks for this, Pearl. I almost responded to another one of Enoch's belligerent and "informed" posts, but then read a legitimately intelligent one that followed it and thought otherwise.

God bless,
- H