Am I the only one on the planet who understands Romans 7?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok
O kinda knew you didn't know what you were talking about. You have no basic understanding of walking in the Spirit. That is WHY YOU GOT OFF TRACK.
Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:18
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Galatians 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

I know you are trying to make it look like you are knowledgeable.
You are not.
And you have been proven wrong over and over.
That is WHY you answer my posts with slick sidesteps
I have no concept of slick sidesteps nor have I ever thought I was proven wrong about anything on here. Take for example the spirit inside of us is not the Spirit which is God. The words “HOLY SPIRIT” in the Bible are primarily used in two very different ways: One way is to refer to God Himself and the other is referring to God’s nature that He gives to people. God is holy and is spirit and therefore “the Holy Spirit” with a capital “H” and a capital “S” is one of the many “names” or designations for God. God gives His holy spirit nature to people as a gift and when HOLY SPIRIT is used that way it should be translated as the “holy spirit” with a lowercase “h” and a lowercase “s.” The Bible says there is one God, and one Lord, who is the man Jesus Christ; and one gift of the holy spirit. Most Christians are aware that the original manuscripts of the Bible were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. However, it's not well known that Hebrew and Aramaic do not have upper-case and lower-case letters, but rather they just have one form for their letters.

Greek does have upper and lower-case letters, but the early Greek manuscripts were all written with only upper-case letters. Therefore, the early manuscripts had no such thing as the “Holy Spirit” or the “holy spirit” because what was always written was the "HOLY SPIRIT." The capital or lower-case letters are always a translator’s interpretation whenever we read “Holy Spirit” or “holy spirit” or “Spirit” or “spirit” in the English Bible. The difference is usually due to the theology of the translator. The bottom line is we cannot know from the Hebrew or Greek texts whether the Author meant the “Holy Spirit” or the “holy spirit” because we must decide based on the context and scope of Scripture whether the reference being made is to God or God’s gift.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing of your post is relevant.
Everyone here is in agreement with those verses.
When you are cornered by verses that disprove your deity of your sinlessness you deflect in circular assumptions
They say you lost the argument when you stop talking about the topic and start attacking the other guy. And that's what you have started to do with me. You do not comment on what I write. You attack me personally.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUOTE; ""I have given this much thought as to why folks on here keep telling me Christians sin when they are walking in the flesh""

WE see paul crucifying what you claim you do not have.

Your error is in not comprehending the need to crucify the flesh.
As paul and every believer has the need to do....except for you deity types
Crucify is a good biblical word. I use it a lot. I do wonder why you say that I don't. Here it is again right off my very own writings...

We undergo a miraculous exchange at the center of our being once we have the spirit of Christ. Who we were in Adam is no longer there. We become a new person because we are now a child of God who is in Christ. The key event causing this exchange is a death, burial, and resurrection with Christ. This miraculous exchange is not figurative or symbolic, but literal and actual.

The spiritual part of every Christian has literally and actually been crucified, buried, and raised with Christ. The fact that this occurs spiritually and not physically doesn’t make it any less real. So what happens to the old self that was in Adam? The old self is entirely obliterated once the spirit of Christ enters the Christian.

I know this comes as a complete shock to many of you who have been indoctrinated in the-old-nature-versus-the-new-nature theology. Most Christians have been taught to believe that after salvation, they are still the same at their core, and they live the rest of their lives trying to restrain this old nature. They believe they have two natures.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are talking nonstop about you.

Re read your post.
You accused me of not being like you.
But seems your answers of late have nothing to do with actually reading for comprehension and answering directly
I respond to what folks say. As they turn from what I write and start attacking me is when I write about me. Here's an example. Folks say you are an idiot if you do not believe we are sinners in God's eyes. Therefore you need to learn how to read the Bible. So I come back with I'm already an expert in biblical concepts. Then along comes another reader like yourself who says see he only talks about himself.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok
O kinda knew you didn't know what you were talking about. You have no basic understanding of walking in the Spirit. That is WHY YOU GOT OFF TRACK.
Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:18
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Galatians 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

I know you are trying to make it look like you are knowledgeable.
You are not.
And you have been proven wrong over and over.
That is WHY you answer my posts with slick sidesteps
Here's a few pages I wrote on walking in the spirit. Does it look like I don't know the subject... www.carb-fat.com/walking-by-the-spirit.html

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respond to what folks say. As they turn from what I write and start attacking me is when I write about me. Here's an example. Folks say you are an idiot if you do not believe we are sinners in God's eyes. Therefore you need to learn how to read the Bible. So I come back with I'm already an expert in biblical concepts. Then along comes another reader like yourself who says see he only talks about himself.
Contesting what you are asserting is not attacking.
Ahem...you first accused me of talking about myself. So my declaration over your self engrandizement was just following your example.
Like i said you are not reading for comprehension.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul tells us right up at the top of the chapter that he is talking to those who are into or know the law. And then the context of the whole chapter is how we can see it's all about Israel and their Law and how they toy with their flesh.
The first half of the chapter is an analogy based on the Law concerning Marriage. Do you know what the analogy means?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first half of the chapter is an analogy based on the Law concerning Marriage. Do you know what the analogy means?
The bottom line is Paul is not writing about Christians. In Romans 7 he's writing about those living in the flesh and in this case it's Israel.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contesting what you are asserting is not attacking.
Ahem...you first accused me of talking about myself. So my declaration over your self engrandizement was just following your example.
Like i said you are not reading for comprehension.
We do seem to be on two different pages. Could it be that I speak too much concerning that which is spiritual? That's often the case even for Paul or Jesus.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So to claim that I walk 100% in the spirit and that I'm never tempted I actually place myself above Jesus because this guy named Peter that's in here promoting himself is actually claiming that he is above the Lord Jesus Christ.
Can you find a post where I ever said I walk in the spirit 100 percent?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you to explain the analogy and you couldn't. This is clear evidence that you don't understand the passage.
There is nothing I can't explain about the New Testament.

Paul did all this self talk while he was thinking of himself under the Law before he received the spirit of Christ. Because after he became a Christian he had no sin within him that God could see...

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

And then when Paul started walking in the spirit it became impossible for him to sin...

1 John 3:6I
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

To abide in him is to be in Christ. It's the same as walking by the spirit. This is a lost art because the Bible preachers teach their people to walk in the flesh. The Catholics were the first to teach we are sinners and that we should look at ourselves and our sin. Paul taught we should look at Christ and to walk in his spirit.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is basing his entire doctrine on the notion that rom 7 is before salvation and rom 8 is now addressing a believer.
So he concludes there is no sin nature in his self.
No desire to sin.
SMH
Let us examine this my friend .
Before coming TO CHRIST i did many sins , sins i had no conscious that were wrong or even sin .
YET later , when by grace i was drawn to FAITH in CHRIST and my heart changed
SIN became exceeding sinful to me , AKA i became aware of its evil , i now see the sin in my flesh
as A MONSTER . no longer do i have any peace in sin , rather its but a vexation to my soul
when the flesh arises to pop them lustful thoughts into my head . SO yeah . Just a reminder my friend .
One it seems you might already know yourself . too many just love to twist romans seven
as they do other scrips unto their own destruction . SIN , i became aware of it AS SIN , DIED TO IT etc .
hate it now . That occured AFTER having come to CHRIST .
the more i read that bible , the more by grace sin became more evil to me
and soon i too had to cry for the LORD to save me even from my own flesh and evils . A deep need
FOR JESUS grew and grew and grew . I came to the realization that all are evil and there is no good in the flesh
BUT THAT IN JESUS CHRIST we can OVERCOME and shall overcome .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing I can't explain about the New Testament.
I'm not asking you to explain the New Testament. Paul is using the Law concerning marriage as an analogy. If you can't explain the analogy, how can you claim to understand the chapter?

Paul did all this self talk while he was thinking of himself under the Law before he received the spirit of Christ.
What language in the passage supports your contention that he had his epiphany before he received the spirit of Christ? Your view seems forced.
Because after he became a Christian he had no sin within him that God could see...
I don't think you are paying attention to the passage. You seem to ignore verses that contradict your view. Consider the following verse for instance.

Romans 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

The question is, "Who WILL set me free . . . " indicating what will happen in the future. Unless you want to claim that Paul plans to be come a Christian in the future, this verse contradicts your view.