An Ode for the looming Brexit situation in Great Britain?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol - well I have never experienced that in the cinema - so how far back are you going ?
I have this mental image of everyone fleeing in haste so that they wouldn't have to stand X
I am not really a royalist, but do like Harry and William- but I wish the press would leave Megan alone.

Years ago we had a program over her called ' it's a knock out ' back in the 70's the royal family took part- it was the first time they had done anything like that ( it was the younger royals )
Rita

Early 1970s.

Fleeing is the only word to describe it. They were at the starting line and didn't slow down until they were gone.

I've never understood British obsession with royalty. But that is just me.

Never saw the TV show, the kids were just being kids constant being called and hauled back to their seats. I thought it was cute and funny.

Of course the queen had her hat. She always has her special hats.

Royal bands were outstanding. All that gold and silver armor on so many military.

The caber toss was fascinating, as long as you didn't look too close since they did it compete kilts. As was the throwing of the ancient stone.

The annoying part was none of the roadsigns were accurate. Got GPS for a good map, which didn't exist, you just hoped to get where you're going.

Brownouts every day since they were on a three electrical plug system. You pretty much had to carry a three-way adapter is anything.

The cars were something else. The old Morris Minor required adding water immediately if you want a steep hill or mountain. But it was so light if you got stuck on a curb two of you could just lift it and push it off.

The Towns near us were Edzel, Montrose and Brechin. The nearest city was Aberdeen.

I looked in recently on the Internet and about the only change to the Brechin Main Street was the cobbles were all paved. Even the entrance arch was the same.

B

Butterfly

Maybe they did things differently in Scotland, I use to go to the cinema a lot in the 70's and I cannot recall ever having to stand for the national anthem.

I have only been to Scotland once, back in1979 - but It was more in the Edinburgh area - such a beautiful place though, but cold. ( bet it's cold in the kilts !! ) I think we also went to St Andrews.
I remember the Morris minor cars, and of course the lovely Mini - which is really popular again now.

I know many places up north , in Yorkshire still have the old cobble streets.
I would love to go back up to Scotland, may do it with my brother and his wife one year as they have never been there. I also would like to visit Ireland - my newest daughter in law is from Belfast, so my son goes over the quite a bit. Southern Ireland is suppose to be really nice.

It was on that trip to Scotland that I found out they put salt on their porridge, not sugar- never understood that, still don't !!
And I hate haggis !!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe they did things differently in Scotland, I use to go to the cinema a lot in the 70's and I cannot recall ever having to stand for the national anthem.

I have only been to Scotland once, back in1979 - but It was more in the Edinburgh area - such a beautiful place though, but cold. ( bet it's cold in the kilts !! ) I think we also went to St Andrews.
I remember the Morris minor cars, and of course the lovely Mini - which is really popular again now.

I would love to go back up to Scotland, may do it with my brother and his wife one year as they have never been there. I also would like to visit Ireland - my newest daughter in law is from Belfast, so my son goes over the quite a bit. Southern Ireland is suppose to be really nice.

It was on that trip to Scotland that I found out they put salt on their porridge, not sugar- never understood that, still don't !!
And I hate haggis !!

Edinburg is a different kind of place. But a lot of beautiful statuary.

Dundee was always such a sooty black city. I found it depressing.

Always started kind of funny Brits complaining about cold I came from northern Indiana. It goes below zero every winter, with the coldest I remember -80 F. but hit a few days over 100 every summer.

I remember the Austin Minis as well.

I wonder if the Cairngorms are still loaded with Gaelic speakers.

I wonder how much the Glasgow airport has grown. I still remember all the grass growing in the runway.

I still wear my gold and Cairngorm Stone pinky ring.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

And I hate haggis !!
Dublin is impressive architecturally! :)

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dublin is impressive architecturally! :)

My grandad was born here ...
He was also in the Boar War..
He had a hook for his left hand ....and a metal hand for Sunday church.
But he always wore his hook , he hated the clumsy metal hand.

I remember being about 3 or 4 and he let me go to his bedroom , get his hook from the side of the bed, and screw it on for him. :)

Lovely old man...I was seven when he died.
That was the first time I remember kneeling down to pray by my bedside and praying before God to look after my grandad for me. ✟

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

It's rediculous , I have no idea of anything has happened in parliament this week. We can leave before Oct, but that's the next dead line !
Just seen that Notre Dame cathedral in France has been destroyed by fire, that's just so sad to watch.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's rediculous , I have no idea of anything has happened in parliament this week. We can leave before Oct, but that's the next dead line !
Just seen that Notre Dame cathedral in France has been destroyed by fire, that's just so sad to watch.
And by October, if the corporate bosses - for which Parliament seems to be a rubber stamp - don't get what they won't, the goal posts will likely get moved for yet another time...

B

Butterfly

I guess it could go on and on and on ......perhaps they are hoping we will forget it all !!!!

B

Butterfly

Hi Corelssue ,
Okay I read the whole article- firstly, this is obviously to put down what they want to bring to the USA - the reporter states the negative, then states that fact.
Right , then later on it states that many are waiting so long and the vision gets so bad that they ' are nearly blind ' - yes, that is the case with catteracts. We have the biggest older generation that we have ever had in the UK, therefore the demand for this actual kind of op is high, this is the down side of the NHS with some things. Hip operations is another thing, you have to be really bad , or had a fall to get priority. I guess it has always been that way, I have never known anything different. I have had to wait for ops.
My dad is 87 he was diagnosed with cattaracts two years ago, but they started to get worse as last year progressed - he had one removed in December, and is now waiting for the next one, it will be in the next few months, it is how it is.
The day he had his op there were ten other people having theirs done that day, as I said the demand is high.
It is a downside in some areas, so the report is not wrong, but if the motive for the report is to persuade the USA not to go for this kind of health care, then it is not considering the good side of the NHS. My son was talking to someone from the US, think they live in New Orleans - she is young, has carpal tunnel, she cannot get it sorted because she cannot afford it- so what's better, no treatment, or waiting for treatment !
Rita

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Corelssue ,
Okay I read the whole article- firstly, this is obviously to put down what they want to bring to the USA - the reporter states the negative, then states that fact.
Right , then later on it states that many are waiting so long and the vision gets so bad that they ' are nearly blind ' - yes, that is the case with catteracts. We have the biggest older generation that we have ever had in the UK, therefore the demand for this actual kind of op is high, this is the down side of the NHS with some things. Hip operations is another thing, you have to be really bad , or had a fall to get priority. I guess it has always been that way, I have never known anything different. I have had to wait for ops.
My dad is 87 he was diagnosed with cattaracts two years ago, but they started to get worse as last year progressed - he had one removed in December, and is now waiting for the next one, it will be in the next few months, it is how it is.
The day he had his op there were ten other people having theirs done that day, as I said the demand is high.
It is a downside in some areas, so the report is not wrong, but if the motive for the report is to persuade the USA not to go for this kind of health care, then it is not considering the good side of the NHS. My son was talking to someone from the US, think they live in New Orleans - she is young, has carpal tunnel, she cannot get it sorted because she cannot afford it- so what's better, no treatment, or waiting for treatment !
Rita

I did a lot of research for on the European model versus US model for healthcare. Neither are perfect, but you can get better healthcare much faster in the US.

The point is it isn't free. In Europe your health tax doesn't pay for all care. It also comes out of the general tax fund. You pay a lot more in taxes than we do.

Your system restricts which procedures you can get a lot more than Medicare does.

You talk about having to wait. I had a serious issue beginning of the year. On the telephone my doctor said call an ambulance.

I had complete examinations and surgery and went home in less than two weeks. Then he put me on home visits from nurses.

That would've not happened in Europe.

My health cost for Medicare with supplemental is $125 a month. My state and federal taxes are zero.

I do grant you that younger people have a lot more struggles. But for anything serious you just go to the emergency room and they get treated at taxpayer expense.

I live in an area that has a huge senior population, including me. At 68 years old I am one of the youngest in my subdivision.

In fact my wife has an issue. She is going for surgery May 1.

There is no good solution to healthcare. Having served in elected office it is always a balance between cost, want and need. But I want my doctor of my choosing determining what I need, not a politician or bureaucrat.

B

Butterfly

Hi Corelssue,
I will read your response in the morning, and hopefull get chance to post a reply, I am just too tired tonight - been on a long shift at work x

Reactions: CoreIssue

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Welcome to Canada!

A cowboy named Bob was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Alberta when suddenly a brand-new 2019 BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust. The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Fred looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Apple i phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany ...

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Apple iPad® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Galaxy S5® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on hishi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Fred.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Fred says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Member of Parliament for Justin Trudeau's Government", says Fred.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, and to a question I never asked.
You used millions of dollar's worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know nothin' about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.
This is a herd of sheep."

"Now give me back my dog!

AND THAT FOLKS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

Reactions: Butterfly

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to Canada!

A cowboy named Bob was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Alberta when suddenly a brand-new 2019 BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust. The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Fred looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Apple i phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany ...

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Apple iPad® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Galaxy S5® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on hishi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Fred.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then Fred says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Member of Parliament for Justin Trudeau's Government", says Fred.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, and to a question I never asked.
You used millions of dollar's worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know nothin' about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter.
This is a herd of sheep."

"Now give me back my dog!

AND THAT FOLKS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.
That was a good one.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That was a good one.

I thought so. :)

But sadly how true..we have them in office 'over' us who have no clue.
( OR worse....deliberately saboteurs!! o_O )

Last edited: