Another question for mormons.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Idk why you say nope when you just confirmed they are against caffeine or were in the past. This was in the 1970's and 1980's. Idk why you feel a need to deny then confirm...? Btw, my aunt and uncle were from the south...nowhere near Utah. But my uncle does hold some sort of position. He also is connected to some well known people (worldly speaking).
Two different things:
LDS Doctrine - no problem with caffeine.
Culture of one state especially decades ago - dislike of caffeine because it's not good for you. And yes, people from that one state do move other places and people from other places do move to that state.

Two different things.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two different things:
LDS Doctrine - no problem with caffeine.
Culture of one state especially decades ago - dislike of caffeine because it's not good for you. And yes, people from that one state do move other places and people from other places do move to that state.
Only they didn't move to the south. My aunt was born in Louisiana and my uncle was raised in Texas from toddlerhood. They remained in the south for pretty much all their lives to this day ...Texas to Georgia....never lived in a northern state, let alone Utah.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only they didn't move to the south. My aunt was born in Louisiana and my uncle was raised in Texas from toddlerhood. They remained in the south for pretty much all their lives to this day ...Texas to Georgia....never lived in a northern state, let alone Utah.
Do you have to live in Texas to display Texas culture? Nope, I live in WY and there's a ton of Texas culture people here.

I also gave you some examples in my own family that don't match your aunt & uncles. People aren't clones of one another: there's difference in personalities, cultures, beliefs, etc.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have to live in Texas to display Texas culture? Nope, I live in WY and there's a ton of Texas culture people here.

I also gave you some examples in my own family that don't match your aunt & uncles. People aren't clones of one another: there's difference in personalities, cultures, beliefs, etc.
That's a bit confusing. Culture has to do with where one is from...their roots. I just know and knew then that their rules were connected to their religion. I also was told ....after I told my aunt that I didn't like my name ....that I chose my name when I was in heaven before I was born on earth. (I do not ascribe to that belief whatsoever.)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a bit confusing. Culture has to do with where one is from...their roots. I just know and knew then that their rules were connected to their religion. I also was told ....after I told my aunt that I didn't like my name ....that I chose my name when I was in heaven before I was born on earth. (I do not ascribe to that belief whatsoever.)
And how do you reconcile that with me (a very devote & involved LDS lady) regularly buying my daughter bubblegum?
People aren't clones of each other, and there are beliefs that are more rooted in culture than anything doctrinal.

There are odd-ducks sitting in every set of pews.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the thing about keeping detailed records of genealogies? My uncle is big on that and has access to that information. I know some other people who are also huge on genealogies for specific reasons.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how do you reconcile that with me (a very devote & involved LDS lady) regularly buying my daughter bubblegum?
People aren't clones of each other, and there are beliefs that are more rooted in culture than anything doctrinal.

There are odd-ducks sitting in every set of pews.
Perhaps you are the odd duck. You seem to veer (or at least claim to) from everything that is presented from people who are ex-mormon or the mormon documents, or those who have mormon family members.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the thing about keeping detailed records of genealogies? My uncle is big on that and has access to that information. I know some other people who are also huge on genealogies for specific reasons.
Same reason the Bible has long "begat" sections: families are important. It's important to know about our heritage and also to connect with each other, reaching out and being there for each other. I do intend to spend the eternities with my family (and Christ of course :) ). I can elaborate / provide links on this if you like.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has the world's biggest library of family history stuff, and the have it 100% free to anyone anywhere (just need a computer). There's even more resources at local church building whom have physical libraries attached and knowledgeable folks to help. Again, all free.
Perhaps you are the odd duck. You seem to veer (or at least claim to) from everything that is presented from people who are ex-mormon or the mormon documents, or those who have mormon family members.
If somebody offers a junk source, then I call it as it is. Rechior's posts (for example) all all blindly copied paste from "anti-cult" hate sites and give blatantly false information to their readers from "sources" which aren't even actual LDS Christian doctrinal sources. These sites don't encourage real investigation-- you know: like actually visit and LDS Christian church service, actually talk to an LDS Christian about their faith, read a full text, etc. No, such is actually DIScouraged! If you want me to break down a example of this, I can.

And when a person doesn't want to actually think or talk about anything, and instead tout that decades old prejudice around, what conversation is there to be had with that person? I get tired of spending my time writing a post a prejudice person will just completely ignore out of hand. I'm human like that.

When a person does want an answer (which I do think you do @TLHKAJ), I always take the time to answer directly, and provide quotes when asked. Like this earlier post where I provided actual LDS doctrinal sources on the eternal nature of God (they're all scripture from the LDS Christian perspective).
  • eternal God is thy refuge, Deut. 33:27.
  • from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God, Ps. 90:2.
  • established of old: thou art from everlasting, Ps. 93:2.
  • thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end, Ps. 102:27.
  • Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, Ps. 146:10.
  • lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, Isa. 57:15.
  • thy name is from everlasting, Isa. 63:16.
  • I am the Lord, I change not, Mal. 3:6.
  • I am endless, D&C 19:10.
  • God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, D&C 20:17.
  • Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, D&C 38:1.
  • From eternity to eternity he is the same, D&C 76:4.
  • Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end, Moses 1:3.
  • Endless and Eternal is my name, Moses 7:35.

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If somebody offers a junk source, then I call it as it is. Rechior's posts (for example) all all blindly copied paste from "anti-cult" hate sites
I actually sourced them from the sources I cited. I went to no anti-LDS site. I do not need to. The LDS material is anti-LDS all on its own.

Care to retract your false accusation?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jane_Doe22
Do you believe that there is one God? Do you believe Jesus is one of many of God's children...such as Lucifer? Do you believe humans can eventually become Gods like Almighty God?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Mexico or South America significantly connected or important in relation to Mormon history? (Odd question, I know.)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jane_Doe22 There are other ways they store genealogical files. But do you have a link?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
actually talk to an LDS Christian about their faith
I have actually talked with many LDS members, mostly online, and some directly in person. The family, with whom I live, on their land is an LDS Elder (Samoan). I have been over to his house several times now to fix his computer issues. I talked with him about a few things, and left him the same material I left with you about the sabbath (sapati). I even handed two LDS palagi missionaries a tract on health, and waved to them every time they walked by (they never stopped by).

I tried talking with you before you 'ignored' me.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doing quick answers for your connivence, feel free to ask for elaboration and/or quotes at any point.
Do you believe that there is one God?
The Father, Son, and Spirt are 3 persons in 1 God. Christ's doesn't pray to Himself, He prays to the Father, etc. They are one (John 17 is a great chapter)
Do you believe Jesus is one of many of God's children...such as Lucifer?
Jesus Christ alone is the Son of God. The perfect redeemer, 100% divine.

The Father is the Father of all though. Everyone are His sons (and daughters). Which technically makes everyone siblings, though what you do is up to you. There aren’t two people more different than the perfect Son Jesus whom so perfectly carried out the Father’s will, versus Lucifer whom completely rebelled and was cast out.
Do you believe humans can eventually become Gods like Almighty God?
Through Christ's atonement, become His disciples will eventually become one *with* God, co-heirs with Christ. There's no replacing Him, rather joining Him (again, John 17 is wonderful).
Is Mexico or South America significantly connected or important in relation to Mormon history? (Odd question, I know.)
This can be answered in two regards--
In the 1800's: the LDS Christian people and church faced heavy persecution from other folks in the USA and repeatedly were driven out of their homes. Eventually, they fled to what was then Mexico and settled Salt Lake City and lot of towns in the Rocky Mountain west, and Mexico. A second wave of people then moved down to Mexico in the late 1800's and set up more towns.

Pre-Columbus times: it is believed that ~600 AD a group of Jews were guided by God to take a boat and settled in the America's. They had families, eventually Christ visited, and their righteous way of life eventually got wiped out (this is the plot of the Book of Mormon). Where exactly is unknown.
@Jane_Doe22 There are other ways they store genealogical files. But do you have a link?
FamilySearch • Free Family Trees and Genealogy Archives

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pre-Columbus times: it is believed that ~600 AD a group of Jews were guided by God to take a boat and settled in the America's.
What day was the sabbath for that 'group' of 'Jews'?

Also, the scriptures, that they brought with them. Were thy corrupt in the OT, and if so where? Did they bring any NT material, and if so, was any of it corrupt, and if so where?

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoa! @ReChoired ...that video is right at 4 hours long! :O
lol ...I will give it a listen. I have more to share, and a video. But probably not here.
Here, same guy, much shorter:

This is what Mormonism did to this man.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ReChoired I can't listen to those people any further because they advocate that the Bible isn't literally true. I'll look for other content.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the problem you have at the moment. You are interpreting. Whereas on my side, it is God who interprets His own words (Genesis 40:8; 2 Peter 1:20; etc), and I interpret nothing for that would be private interpretation, which is forbidden.
I am interpreting? Me in my carnal self alone? When and if I am wrong I certainly would be. When however what I say comes from God through my mouth... Not so!

Do I claim something for myself? No, I simply try always to walk with God and strive to surrender always to Him. To speak when He wants me to speak and to remain silent when He wants me to shut up. After all who is the Leader, me or my Head? Who is my head, my own gray matter working alone or Jesus

When I do... it is all 'good' because He in me is always good. Yes, He is good, but then when I quench the Spirit of God in me and take my own reins because I am smart, I am back in trouble again... no?

When you are, on the other hand, the one who is walking with God then it is your mouth that speaks God's Word. When two or more claim to have God's Word and to be walking in Him but in fact are strongly opposed to each o
ther, then God alone is the final arbiter, not you, not me and not some other man unless that man has God's conclusion on it. Again:

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

It does not follow that the best Bible students walk the closest to God and are the most correct in the things of God. To believe that is to believe as carnal completely secular minded men believe. Go into a public school classroom and there you may be put by the teacher at the head of the class because of your expertise and ability and understanding and knowledge... but not so in
God's classroom!

Referring to some Bible studies or reference books by men of God or to the Bible itself does not mean that your conclusion will always be equal to
God's conclusion. Some men wrote every book and even the best of them were fallible and did at times fail... did at times makes mistakes.

Words even from the Bible not quickened in a man by the Holy Spirit are also dead. This is why we and others on this forum can and do disagree when our words are all based on written scripture. You may know the Bible in your head better than any man on this forum, but knowing the Bible you should know that knowledge alone and your interpretation and the conclusions of the Bible scholars you are able to consult are Not enough!

"Better is a poor and a wise child than an old and foolish king, who will no more be admonished." Ecc 4:13

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." I Cor 1:19-21

"Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." I Cor 2:13-14

Sorry I did not go to that "wall". Too many people have too many places they suggest as 'good' places to go. I don't have that much time to please all of them. So, I do go to God regularly although I am not yet to the point of 'rejoicing in the Lord always' or in 'praying without ceasing yet'! I am working with God to approach Him in those things more closely.