Apostolic councils?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
then who is sitting in the chair (Greek cathedral) of Moses at the time of Jesus?
The successors of Moses authority and power! The same authority and power were given to Peter and the apostles and they must have successors to fulfill Matt 28:19
Like I said, Moses' reign ended after Joshua. Unless you consider the Levites to be carrying on the torch of Moses. And therefore, the Aaronic lineage were the High Priests, but this function ended with the death of Christ and equally, with the destruction of the Temple. And Jesus alone, is now our High Priest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said, Moses reign ended after Joshua. Unless you consider the Levites to be carrying on the torch of Moses. And therefore, the Aaronic lineage were the High Priests, but this function ended with the death of Christ and equally, with the destruction of the Temple. And Jesus alone, is now our High Priest.

you did not answer my question

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that only produces spiritual anarchy
Without the church of the apostles you can’t even know what is scripture and what is not much less have authority to correctly interpret them, the Bible give no one Authority to read for yourself and make your own faith eph 4:5 Jude 1:3
You have to be taught

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.
the teaching is thru the work of the Holy Spirit, not thru Rome!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the teaching is thru the work of the Holy Spirit, not thru Rome!
Not thru Rome by thru Jesus Peter the apostles and their successors

Without a central authority there can be no unity of the spirit, no obedience to the faith!
God - Christ - Peter - the apostles - the apostles successors - the people

The nature of authority is hierarchy!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not what Jesus and the Bible say
Matt 28:19 I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS EVEN TO THE END! Must be apostles to the end

you never answer my question on the authority (keys) and power (binding) of those who sit in the chair of Moses?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same authority (keys) and power (binding) is given to Peter the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18 matt 18:18

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church exists in her faithful bishops and those in Union with them

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church exists in her faithful bishops and those in Union with them

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!
So are pastors

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 23 the Lord is my shepherd!
Jn 10:11 good shepherd!
Jn 10:16 one shepherd!

why does thee shepherd say for Peter to feed His sheep? Jn 21:17

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Paul rebuked Peter ....because he wasn't infallible. Galatians 2:11-21
The fact that Paul rebuked Peter for his behavior doesn't negate Peter's infallibility in his teaching.

Infallibility has NOTHING to do with personal behavior - that would make him impeccable, not infallible.

Reactions: theefaith

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
You don’t have any authority to denounce anything your not an apostle or successors of an apostle!

Matt 28 I am with you (the apostles)

Jesus said to obey the authority of the successors of Moses mt 23 authority of the keys and power to bind and loose and this power and authority was taken from them and given by Christ to Peter, the apostles and their successors, mt 16:18 18:18 this same authority and power must be obeyed!

mt 28:18-20 all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end! Revelation 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and Priests: and we shall reign on the earth. Reign with kingdom authority (keys) power (bind loose) matt 16:18

————————

Without a central authority there can be no unity of the spirit, no obedience to the faith!
God - Christ - Peter - the apostles - the apostles successors - the people

The nature of authority is hierarchy!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

————————-

Matt 23 why does Jesus say to obey the successors of Moses?

The successors of Moses sit in the chair of Moses having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Matt 23 and Jesus commanded them to be obeyed! Then the kingdom was taken from them matt 21:43 and given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the authority of the keys and the power to bind and lose!

—————————
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

(None of the so called reformers were apostles) (no man has authority to start a church)

—————————

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

if there was a successes it would have been James, not Peter. James gave the final judgment in the acts 15.
James by all historic accounts was the leader of the church of Jerusalem.
and again historians always note James as the most significant one, Josephus, Pliney. he even went into the most holy place of the temple. and when he was killed they almost lost control of the city due to the peoples anger.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did Jesus say thou art James and upon this rock I will build my church?
Matt 16:18

Pope, papa, father, yes spiritual father!

Is 22

Matt 10:2
First apostle Peter:

Matt 17:27
Jesus and Peter are one:
Jesus even works a miracle to make this point. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: and the power to bind and loose:

Mt 17:27
Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Peter is the prince of the apostles, head of the universal church on earth!

Jn 20:21-23
Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins:

Acts 1:15 1:17 1:26
Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor:

Acts 2:14
Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost:

Acts 2:38
Peter requires baptism as the outward sign and initiation into the new covenant!
etc.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
When did Jesus say thou art James and upon this rock I will build my church?
Matt 16:18

Pope, papa, father, yes spiritual father!

Is 22

Matt 10:2
First apostle Peter:

Matt 17:27
Jesus and Peter are one:
Jesus even works a miracle to make this point. 27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: and the power to bind and loose:

Mt 17:27
Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Peter is the prince of the apostles, head of the universal church on earth!

Jn 20:21-23
Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins:

Acts 1:15 1:17 1:26
Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor:

Acts 2:14
Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost:

Acts 2:38
Peter requires baptism as the outward sign and initiation into the new covenant!
etc.
When did Jesus say Peter would lead the group.
However gospel of Thomas does in fact have Jesus saying James will lead the group.

And now we know why that book was thrown out. Thanks to nag hammidi that's one book that escaped the roman book burning.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s a late gnostic heretical work not authentic not scripture

no one has authority or a right to publish rubbish and bad books should be banned and burned

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
That’s a late gnostic heretical work not authentic not scripture

no one has authority or a right to publish rubbish and bad books should be banned and burned
its dated back to 100 AD, so its not late
not authentic according to who? roman councils? didnt those councils teach the sun revolved around the earth? not sure i would trust those guys whos only interest was keeping the masses in darkness.
its only a bad book because it teaches against roman politics.
its not authentic yet it lines up with history.
i get why you want to burn it, bad guys always hide the evidence.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did Jesus say Peter would lead the group.
However gospel of Thomas does in fact have Jesus saying James will lead the group.

And now we know why that book was thrown out. Thanks to nag hammidi that's one book that escaped the roman book burning.
The Gospel of Thomas?? You actually have the courage to publicly claim this as truth??

You would be laughed right out of ANY scholarly discourse - Catholic OR Protestant. It's a Gnostic pile of manure that is filled with error and contradiction - and being from the mid-to-late 2nd century, IMPOSSIBLE for Thomas to have written.

Dude - I know I said you were ignorant - but this takes you over the EDGE . . .

PS -
If Peter WASN'T the leader . . .
a. Tell me WHY Jesus singled out Peter when He gave him the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt. 16:18-19) if did not put him in charge.

b. Tell me WHY Jesus asked Peter and Peter alone to feed His lambs and tend His sheep (John 21:15-19) if did not put him in charge.

c. Tell me WHY Jesus said that He prayed for Peter ALONE to strengthen the others and bring them back to faith (Luke 22:31-32) if did not put him in charge.

d. Tell me WHY Peter called "Protos" (First) in the Gospel (Matt. 10:2) if he was not in charge??

e. Tell me WHY Peter's name occurs first in all lists of apostles (Matt. 10:2; Mk 3:16; Luke 6:14; Acts 1:13) if he was not in charge??

f. Tell me WHY Peter is specified by an angel as the leader and representative of the apostles (Mark 16:7) if he was not in charge??

g. Tell me WHY Peter takes the lead in calling for a successor for Judas (Acts 1:22) if He was not in charge??

h. Tell me WHY Peter is the first person to speak (and only one recorded) after Pentecost, making him the first Christian to preach the Gospel in the Church (Acts 2:14-36) if he was not in charge??

i. Tell me WHY Peter works the first miracle of the Church Age, healing a lame man (Acts 3:6-12) if he was not in charge??

j. Tell me WHY Peter utters the first anathema (Ananias and Sapphira) affirmed by God (Acts 5:2-11) if He was not in charge??

k. Tell me WHY Peter is the first person after Christ to raise the dead (Acts 9:40) if he was not in charge??

l. Tell me WHY Cornelius is told by an angel to seek out Peter for instruction in Christianity (Acts 10:1-6) if he was not in charge??

m. Tell me WHY Peter's name is mentioned more often than all the other disciples put together if He was not in charge??

His name is mentioned 191 times (162 as Peter or Simon Peter, 23 as Simon and 6 as Cephas). John is the next with only 48 mentions, and Peter is present 50 percent of the time we find John in the Bible.

Good luck . . .

Reactions: Illuminator