Apostolic councils?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul quoted Menander in the book of Acts and in 1 Corinthians, and quoted Epimenides in the book of Titus. By doing so, he is not affirming their divine auspices, but merely applying wisdom to his defense of the Gospel, and making reference to philosophies that they can understand and relate to (I become all things, to all men)

Acts 17:28, 1 Corinthians 15:33, Titus 1:12
Yes - and HOW did God use those quotes?
He used the poet's own words AGAINST him and the pagans who held him in high esteem.

For example - in Acts 17, Paul is dialoging with pagans and uses the words of their own beloved Menander to convey truths about God.
A skilled debater could do the very SAME with a speech from Hitler.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
And this is more of your revisionist nonsense.

As I educated you before - "possessing" a vernacular translation of the Bible wasn't the issue.
It was their perverted and heretical translations. the ONLY ones who "possessed" vernacular translations prior to the 15th century were the men responsible for these perverted and heretical translations.

Do your HOMEWORK, dude . . .

This is nonsense.

not nonsense, that was a real thing. the roman church would not allow bibles in peoples common language until the 1100s. pope Innocent iii even forbid private readings like Jesus did on the outskirts of town. the church always maintained the people were not smart enough to read scripture for themselves, the sad thing is that it was the church that destroyed the knowledge and kept everyone in darkness.
corrupt leaders always want the masses ignorant so they are easier to control and manipulate.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
OF course it has truths . It simply lacks one thing . THE TRUTH .
MY dear friend , even the worst pope in modern time can speak truths , YET IS HE TRULY OF THE TRUTH .
EVEN satan said , what GOD WOULD LATER SAY , but does that mean HE IS OF THE TRUTH .
YE shall be as gods knowing good and evil . YET EVEN GOD says THEY have become as gods , knowing good and evil .
DO YOU really think that a lie cometh without having some truths cloaked in it . ONLY THE TRUTH has not lies .
THE THOMAS OF GOSPLE was BORN OF SATAN . BIRTHED from the bowles of darkness .

well the people that kept the Gospel of Thomas sure didnt act like they were from the bowels from hell. the example they sat were devoted followers of Jesus.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not nonsense, that was a real thing. the roman church would not allow bibles in peoples common language until the 1100s. pope Innocent iii even forbid private readings like Jesus did on the outskirts of town. the church always maintained the people were not smart enough to read scripture for themselves, the sad thing is that it was the church that destroyed the knowledge and kept everyone in darkness.
corrupt leaders always want the masses ignorant so they are easier to control and manipulate.
Thank you for another idiotic and historically-bankrupt post.

It might interest you to know that until the latter part of the 19th century - the VAST majority of the world was still functionally illiterate. Back in the Middle Ages - only the RICH and educated knew how to read. Up to 90% of the people couldn't.

Do your homework . . .

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SPOT ON RIGHT MY FRIEND . SPOT ON RIGHT . Guess that is the three words today . SPOT ON RIGHT .
STICK TO BIBLES my friends .
Did you know that a Roman pope and a Roman emperor removed one of the most popular books from the bible? That being Enoch.
I was closed and opposed to anything outside of scripture (I'd been warned) until Yahweh changed my mind about it. He took 6 months to prepare me for it.
I'd not recommend it to the spiritually young or children; I suspect there is a lot that Abba keeps from us for our own good.
I believe that the book of Enoch is inspired and in the same category as the daily cross: actively opposed by most and both gifts for the maturing and the equipping of the army of Messiah in the last days.
The enemy's propaganda is among its most virulent with subjects such as Enoch, the 5-fold, and the return of the House of Israel, all of which are returning to the consciousness of the household of God.
The book of Enoch was prophesied to be for a remote generation. I believe this is us.
Once I was reading 2 Enoch and it was talking about the sun like it was a living being. I thought this must be a bad part that'd I'd heard about. I put the book down.
One day a week or so later I was half-consciously thinking about it when I heard a still, small, voice within me, much like my own, say, "stars, in another realm, are angels."
Before I could respond, I recalled a time years before when my room filled with God's presence. I was looking up at what appeared to be the star-filled night when the Lord said, "They are angels." I realized I was seeing in the Spirit.
I would say that God called me to Enoch. I would never expect one to read it. Shalom.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well the people that kept the Gospel of Thomas sure didnt act like they were from the bowels from hell. the example they sat were devoted followers of Jesus.
OH but the book is . Folks will be the folks . But the gospel of thomas , well that cometh of darkness .

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Thank you for another idiotic and historically-bankrupt post.
responses like this usually means i am correct.

It might interest you to know that until the latter part of the 19th century - the VAST majority of the world was still functionally illiterate. Back in the Middle Ages - only the RICH and educated knew how to read. Up to 90% of the people couldn't.

Do your homework . . .

thats what i just said, the leaders did not want the common people to read.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
OH but the book is . Folks will be the folks . But the gospel of thomas , well that cometh of darkness .

so the book was of darkness yet it produced people of light. does that make sense?
and the ones saying it was of darkness were in fact living examples of darkness.
and what did Jesus say about teachers and the fruit they produce?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Did you know that a Roman pope and a Roman emperor removed one of the most popular books from the bible? That being Enoch.
I was closed and opposed to anything outside of scripture (I'd been warned) until Yahweh changed my mind about it. He took 6 months to prepare me for it.
I'd not recommend it to the spiritually young or children; I suspect there is a lot that Abba keeps from us for our own good.
I believe that the book of Enoch is inspired and in the same category as the daily cross: actively opposed by most and both gifts for the maturing and the equipping of the army of Messiah in the last days.
The enemy's propaganda is among its most virulent with subjects such as Enoch, the 5-fold, and the return of the House of Israel, all of which are returning to the consciousness of the household of God.
The book of Enoch was prophesied to be for a remote generation. I believe this is us.
Once I was reading 2 Enoch and it was talking about the sun like it was a living being. I thought this must be a bad part that'd I'd heard about. I put the book down.
One day a week or so later I was half-consciously thinking about it when I heard a still, small, voice within me, much like my own, say, "stars, in another realm, are angels."
Before I could respond, I recalled a time years before when my room filled with God's presence. I was looking up at what appeared to be the star-filled night when the Lord said, "They are angels." I realized I was seeing in the Spirit.
I would say that God called me to Enoch. I would never expect one to read it. Shalom.

are you saying that Enoch was once scripture but later removed? i remember the roman church teaching against it for many years. their argument was that it was totally made up and not written until 900-1100s. eventually the people accepted this as fact, then the DSS were found in the 1940s and the Enoch scrolls matched with the other Enoch book. a lot of people had egg on their face on that one.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And this is more of your revisionist nonsense.

As I educated you before - "possessing" a vernacular translation of the Bible wasn't the issue.
It was their perverted and heretical translations. the ONLY ones who "possessed" vernacular translations prior to the 15th century were the men responsible for these perverted and heretical translations.

Do your HOMEWORK, dude . . .

This is nonsense.

If you believe in the man-made inventions of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, if you adhere to a 66 Book Canon of Scripture - you are a descendant of your Protestant Fathers like Luther, Zwingili, Melanchton, Calvin, et al.

These things didn't just "pop" into your head. They were declared 500 years ago by these men.
You're scary i.e. an indoctrinated conspiracy theorist. You're very credulous BOL.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes - and HOW did God use those quotes?
He used the poet's own words AGAINST him and the pagans who held him in high esteem.

For example - in Acts 17, Paul is dialoging with pagans and uses the words of their own beloved Menander to convey truths about God.
A skilled debater could do the very SAME with a speech from Hitler.
Focus BOL, try and focus. The point was that various literary works may be quoted by inspired authors, that doesn't make the quotation divine - IRRESPECTIVE OF THE POINT THAT THE AUTHOR WAS TRYING TO MAKE!
You're under bondage of the Roman Catholic Church - two extremely precarious dispositions to have.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
responses like this usually means i am correct.
thats what i just said, the leaders did not want the common people to read.
And that's why I called your last post, "idiotic" - because I already explained to you than an illiterate population CAN'T read in the first place, Einstein.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Focus BOL, try and focus. The point was that various literary works may be quoted by inspired authors, that doesn't make the quotation divine - IRRESPECTIVE OF THE POINT THAT THE AUTHOR WAS TRYING TO MAKE!
You're under bondage of the Roman Catholic Church - two extremely precarious dispositions to have.
It's not the Catholic Church who declared that ALL Scripture is God-breathed (Theopneustos), Einstein - it is Scripture ITSELF:
2 Tim. 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

If you have a problem with that - take it up with GOD, who is the Author of Sacred Scripture - not with His Church . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're scary i.e. an indoctrinated conspiracy theorist. You're very credulous BOL.
No - just a student of history.

The founder of the Anglican Church, Henry VIII also condemned Tyndale's heretical and perverted version of the Bible in 1531, when he declared:
“The translation of the Scripture corrupted by William Tyndale should be utterly expelled, rejected, and put away out of the hands of the people.”

That's one of your fellow PROTESTANTS objecting to Tyndale's perversion.
You REALLY need to do your homework, son . . .

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
And that's why I called your last post, "idiotic" - because I already explained to you than an illiterate population CAN'T read in the first place, Einstein.

you really think that in the entire Christian world, only the church leaders knew how to read? who told you this?

but lets say this is correct, in your twilight zone world, where only the church leaders knew how to read, wouldnt it be on their shoulders to teach others how to read?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Where do you guys get this rubbish from?

i dont think he means it was removed from the canon, i think what he means is that the church spread false information about a book they didnt want people to read. what does the bible say about bearing false witness?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016

The founder of the Anglican Church, Henry VIII also condemned Tyndale's heretical and perverted version of the Bible in 1531, when he declared:
“The translation of the Scripture corrupted by William Tyndale should be utterly expelled, rejected, and put away out of the hands of the people.”

what was wrong with the translation? did he tell people to turn away from Jesus and bow down to fallen angels?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's not the Catholic Church who declared that ALL Scripture is God-breathed (Theopneustos), Einstein - it is Scripture ITSELF:
2 Tim. 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

If you have a problem with that - take it up with GOD, who is the Author of Sacred Scripture - not with His Church . . .
Focus, concentration, pay attention to the argument - the fact that all Scripture is God breathed, does not mean that the characters, events, behaviours and environments were all God ordained - Satan acts in the Bible also, as there are liars, thieves, murders, idolaters AND PAGAN CULTURES AND WRITINGS EINSTEIN???????
Honestly BOL, you are just weird, like seriously!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Look simpleton, I cannot believe that this needs to be brought to your attention, Mr. History?
King Henry declared Anglicanism in 1536, thus he was Catholic when he murdered Tyndale.