Apostolicity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:13-15,

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you are wanting to be said here? Are you an apostle with the signs of an apostle? 2 Corinthians 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
I think it means different things in the North and South. In the South, Apostolic was very similar to Assembly of God doctrine. Up North, it is close to Mennonite or Amish. They wear coverings on their heads, and would never pray in tongues or anything like that. So Id need to research what definition it is. I would say I have Christian doctrine most closely related to Independent Baptist.

Sorry, but I grew up near one of the three largest Amish and Mennonite areas in the country.

They would have a fit pairing them to apostolic. There is nothing similar about them.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always believed that an Apostle is one anointed to build and establish churches as the went from place to place preaching . They set in leadership , elders ,to tend and keep...and then circled round those churches teaching and establishing them to maturity.

That what Paul and the others did. A traveling preacher is just that...but an apostle started, settled, built , and then moved on and did it again . He was the overseerer of all the churches that he had “birthed”. That’s way he traveled and visited so much to visit them all regularly.

My belief.
You just described missionaries.

Reactions: marks

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You just described missionaries.

No way...in the sixties we were in a Holiness Mission. Most of our friends were missionaries. None of them established churches...neither did many travel around ...the built or established school and hospitals. But actually all of them worked in mission station which they may have built, or just joined. My husband and I were asked to go out ( from England) to the then Malawi Africa to an existing Mission Station. Neither they, or ourselves were Apostles!!!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No way...in the sixties we were in a Holiness Mission. Most of our friends were missionaries. None of them established churches...neither did many travel around ...the built or established school and hospitals. But actually all of them worked in mission station which they may have built, or just joined. My husband and I were asked to go out ( from England) to the then Malawi Africa to an existing Mission Station. Neither they, or ourselves were Apostles!!!

In the 60s my church supported missionaries of nondenominational backgrounds like us.

Establishing churches was one of the things they did. But churches and often met in shacks, huts, homes etc.

As Mayor I met with an organization that trained missionaries who wanted to establish a school in my city.

They were missionaries, not apostles.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that the OPC practice apostolicity?
Some of the Oneness Jesus Only churches use the word, Apostolic, as a part of their title. I belonged to two different ones that did that in my own history. One of them consisted primarily of black members and the other one consisted primarily of Hispanic members. However the largest of the Oneness Jesus Only churches is the United Pentecostal Church which obviously does not use the word in their title. They did consider themselves Apostolic, but likely their doctrines would differ from yours, and therefore their definition of the term, Apostolic, would also differ.

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the one that defended a lack of apostolicity in our practice in the first place....using your type of circular reasoning.

So then we have to start at the OP again... in a circle.

What makes something apostolic?
Indeed, what makes an apostle and apostle? By scripture alone how difficult is it to write an accurate definition?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Practically speaking...how do you recognize and act upon Christ being the "head" in an assembly? No leadership? Allowing the Spirit to lead? How?
Most church groups [assemblies] in my experience do not allow the Spirit to lead. They set up their own hierarchies and rules and prescribed programs; and then within those boundaries they may say they allow the Spirit to lead, but from I have seen being led by the Spirit is a rare thing in such groups...

Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of the Oneness Jesus Only churches use the word, Apostolic, as a part of their title. I belonged to two different ones that did that in my own history. One of them consisted primarily of black members and the other one consisted primarily of Hispanic members. However the largest of the Oneness Jesus Only churches is the United Pentecostal Church which obviously does not use the word in their title. They did consider themselves Apostolic, but likely their doctrines would differ from yours, and therefore their definition of the term, Apostolic, would also differ.

I have heard as well in WOF churches.

Reactions: amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but I grew up near one of the three largest Amish and Mennonite areas in the country.

They would have a fit pairing them to apostolic. There is nothing similar about them.

Oh okay....I've visited two. They sing everything aucapella and have coverings on their heads. Men and women sit on two different sides. Now Ive been to one down in Texas and it was like assembly of God. But yeh. Part of Teen Challenge and "A Friend's House" programs, are we had to visit different churches and spake/sang at some of them. Just the coverings reminded me of mennonite. There is a huge Mennonite church in Berne and they wear coverings too. Doctrines I don't know.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I don't even know what apostolic is to answer this question, so I am just going to follow and learn. Very interesting topic.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay....I've visited two. They sing everything aucapella and have coverings on their heads. Men and women sit on two different sides. Now Ive been to one down in Texas and it was like assembly of God. But yeh. Part of Teen Challenge and "A Friend's House" programs, are we had to visit different churches and spake/sang at some of them. Just the coverings reminded me of mennonite. There is a huge Mennonite church in Berne and they wear coverings too. Doctrines I don't know.

The history of the Mennonites go back to Europe under Menno.

Amish go back to about the same time and are much stricter.

Both fled Catholic persecution.

I'm talking about covering about two counties being nothing but Amish.

Indiana Amish Country & Beyond

Other similar groups are out West.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What makes something "apostolic?"
Catholics believe their church is such based on a bizarre reference to "succession." (As if there was a family kingship being passed down)
Others believe it means the "headship of Christ"....whatever that means in practical terms.
But mostly people are unconcerned about how apostolic their doctrine and practice is....as long as it is somewhat biblical
What say you?
Do you espouse apostolic doctrine?
Engage in apostolic fellowship?

Hello @Episkopos,

The word 'Apostolic' relates to the teaching of the Apostles of Christ during the period covered by 'The Acts of the Apostles': and recorded in the epistles written during that period.

However, as a member of the church which is the Body of Christ: though I recognise all Scripture as being profitable to me (2 Timothy 3:16), only the epistles written by Paul, following the laying aside (temporarily) of the nation of Israel in unbelief: *written by Divine revelation by Paul, as it's Divinely appointed Steward; is particularly applicable to me as a member of that called out company. Founded, as they (the later epistles) are, upon the doctrinal basis recorded in the epistle to the Romans (especially 5:12 to 8:39).

* Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While there are the 12 Apostles, and Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles, the word apostle itself means one who is sent.

Jesus commissioned and sent the Apostles we know as such, and some of whom penned portions of the New Testament, but otherwise, so far as I can tell, when we send missionaries, if we were speaking in Greek, we'd say apostles were going. The ones we are sending.

I know many who, in my opinion, co-opt the title apostle to make them self equal to Peter, or James, or Paul. Churches, I think, sometimes do the same. Take the title for themselves unrightfully, to puff up their importance.

How can we tell when someone is sent by God?

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But mostly people are unconcerned about how apostolic their doctrine and practice is....as long as it is somewhat biblical

What does this mean?

Will "somewhat biblical" be different from "apostolic"? What about "totally Biblical"? Will that differ from "Apostolic"?

Much love!
Mark

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The history of the Mennonites go back to Europe under Menno.

Amish go back to about the same time and are much stricter.

Both fled Catholic persecution.

I'm talking about covering about two counties being nothing but Amish.

Indiana Amish Country & Beyond

Other similar groups are out West.

I am close to some of those places!!! That would be neat to visit. I remember first coming up from Texas and seeing an Amish girl on a greyhound on the way to Indiana. I kept trying not to stare. I just never saw anyone dressed like that before. She seemed nice, but didn't really talk to me.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does this mean?

Will "somewhat biblical" be different from "apostolic"? What about "totally Biblical"? Will that differ from "Apostolic"?

Much love!
Mark

People tend to do easy things. They pick and choose what they believe based on that. Apostolicity is to submit that to obediance to God through the testimony of the bible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People tend to do easy things. They pick and choose what they believe based on that. Apostolicity is to submit that to obediance to God through the testimony of the bible.

So what you are talking about then is to submit yourself fully to Scripture, is that right?

Much love!
Mark