April's Virtual Valentine's Day Dance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not all that bad,.. but when I was a teenager I sort of was a catfish myself because I took the game of pretend a bit too far and I'm ashamed of it too. :oops:

I guess I'm too old to understand "catfishing"...

Reactions: Mayflower

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catfishing - Wikipedia

Btw, I forgot to mention last night that I first heard and fell in love with the song "Girl On TV" from The Amanda Show. :D Anyways,.. I'm about to make an announcement in fellowship about our next party. ;)

Reactions: Tone

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catfishing - Wikipedia

Btw, I forgot to mention last night that I first heard and fell in love with the song "Girl On TV" from The Amanda Show. :D Anyways,.. I'm about to make an announcement in fellowship about our next party. ;)

Oh okay, yeah, I've been away too long...plus I'm 41...old...

So, It's basically not being who you are (or think you are) online? And this in order to try to get someone else to reveal themselves so that the perp. can disclose info. about the vic.?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm, I just finished listening to it and I must admit, I don't really get it. Is it an anti-abortion thing?
In short: "The Giver" s theme is that life is more plentiful and fulfilling with a real challenges, triumphs, bonds, and diversity. These create deep and meaningful life for oneself, and bonds with loved ones.

In long: "The Giver" starts out in a community, which on the surface seems absolutely perfect. Everyone is provided for, there's no pollution, no unemployment, no divorce, no death, no loneliness, no regret, no hardship, perfect equality, perfect honesty. Every person's life is perfectly planned out and provided for. The community's elders will pick you out the perfect job for you, if you want a spouse you apply and they will the perfect spouse for you, if wanted children will also be literally given to you (up to one boy and one girl, assuming you pass their approval). Everyone has the same house: it's perfect equality. There's no racism: everyone looks the same. Everyone is provided the exact same education. Same medical needs provided for Etc.

It's black and white perfect.

Literally black and white: there's no color in this world (hence why no one can be judged on skin color). There is "no death" because when person is deemed unbeneficial for the community (for age, birth defects, etc), they are sent to "Elseware" in a big celebration (and once the celebration is done, the person is euthanized and discarded into the trash, and the caretakers completely lie about it). There's "no pain" because there's no real emotion, the medical treatment literally stunt your emotional capacity and everything is so shallow there's zero real bonding even with your spouse (in your sexless marriage). There's no sense of accomplishment because there's no challenges-- like there's no even a literal hill for you to climb, everything is flat and easy. Etc. It's a total dystopia.

In the community's desire to make the world more equal and more painfree, they actually destroyed the depth of emotions and bonds that really make life worth living. The book's protagonist, Jonas, discovers what makes life really worth living throughout the book's journey. For example, he takes in a baby whom struggles with health issues, bonds with with this younger brother, struggles to keep him safe, and even gives up his place in the "perfect" community to protect the baby when the adults declare the baby to be "sent Elseware" (aka euthanized). And by leaving the community, he wakes them up to the depth of emotions he feels (both good and bad), freeing them from that dystopian cage.

Speaking as a Christian now, part of the reason this resonates so much for me is that I do believe that this world/life is truly a gift from God-- yes, miserable moments included. That these teach of depth of emotion, knowing pain to also know true deep happiness. Knowing wrong to also know good and ultimately choosing good in Him. A forging fire to (in the the end) make us into our most pure goodly Christian selves, deeply rejoicing with Him in eternity.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In short: "The Giver" s theme is that life is more plentiful and fulfilling with a real challenges, triumphs, bonds, and diversity. These create deep and meaningful life for oneself, and bonds with loved ones.

In long: "The Giver" starts out in a community, which on the surface seems absolutely perfect. Everyone is provided for, there's no pollution, no unemployment, no divorce, no death, no loneliness, no regret, no hardship, perfect equality, perfect honesty. Every person's life is perfectly planned out and provided for. The community's elders will pick you out the perfect job for you, if you want a spouse you apply and they will the perfect spouse for you, if wanted children will also be literally given to you (up to one boy and one girl, assuming you pass their approval). Everyone has the same house: it's perfect equality. There's no racism: everyone looks the same. Everyone is provided the exact same education. Same medical needs provided for Etc.

It's black and white perfect.

Literally black and white: there's no color in this world (hence why no one can be judged on skin color). There is "no death" because when person is deemed unbeneficial for the community (for age, birth defects, etc), they are sent to "Elseware" in a big celebration (and once the celebration is done, the person is euthanized and discarded into the trash, and the caretakers completely lie about it). There's "no pain" because there's no real emotion, the medical treatment literally stunt your emotional capacity and everything is so shallow there's zero real bonding even with your spouse (in your sexless marriage). There's no sense of accomplishment because there's no challenges-- like there's no even a literal hill for you to climb, everything is flat and easy. Etc. It's a total dystopia.

In the community's desire to make the world more equal and more painfree, they actually destroyed the depth of emotions and bonds that really make life worth living. The book's protagonist, Jonas, discovers what makes life really worth living throughout the book's journey. For example, he takes in a baby whom struggles with health issues, bonds with with this younger brother, struggles to keep him safe, and even gives up his place in the "perfect" community to protect the baby when the adults declare the baby to be "sent Elseware" (aka euthanized). And by leaving the community, he wakes them up to the depth of emotions he feels (both good and bad), freeing them from that dystopian cage.

Speaking as a Christian now, part of the reason this resonates so much for me is that I do believe that this world/life is truly a gift from God-- yes, miserable moments included. That these teach of depth of emotion, knowing pain to also know true deep happiness. Knowing wrong to also know good and ultimately choosing good in Him. A forging fire to (in the the end) make us into our most pure goodly Christian selves, deeply rejoicing with Him in eternity.

Wow, thank you so much for this response...it's really awesome!

Your last paragraph is reminiscent of my signature on another Christian forum.

Shalom.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, It's basically not being who you are (or think you are) online? And this in order to try to get someone else to reveal themselves so that the perp. can disclose info. about the vic.?

No, it's actually just pretending to be anybody that you're not like celebrities or whatever.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol is that a burn? :p

I know, that wasn't fair huh...I guess I was just thinking about the plastic ones...

I think I'm gonna head over to your thread about lying and sin...and stuff, in a bit. I've had some thoughts bouncing around my head recently that may or may not have to do with it...!

It's just been hard for me to organize my musings of late...too much feeling happening...I believe.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I need to poeticize...