Are Beliefs and Faith the Same?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me a year to understand the difference between faith and belief.

Here is my example: One can have the faith can move mountains. I mean, they
love God, know that God can do a-n-ything, they know God loves them and can
heal them...it's even beyond faith.
BUT, if they're core belief is, even subconscious belief (unaware)..that they are "notworthy...
they do not deserve to be healed...they deserve this cancer...they were bad...God
is punishing them".
Guess what? They will not be healed because of their beliefs....though they have faith that
God can heal and does heal....(others, not them).

Was their faith really doubt, so they were double-minded? No, their faith was
like a rock!
It was their belief that was 'it'.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re Thomas, a side note of mine...
Remember Jesus said those that have not seen and yet have faith are blessed.
Yes, indeed, of course.
BUT, there is nothing wrong with actually seeing something for yourself. Ha!

In fact, I ask people to please see things for themselves, don't believe anything, blindly.
You can, of course, that's fine, not trying to start an argument...but see things for yourself.

Feeeeel God's love yourself, for example...otherwise you just have faith and some belief in
some else's words that did know His love....
'Know' God's love personally...and if you don't ...Be still...until you do.
Again, my .02.
glasses9.gif

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It took me a year to understand the difference between faith and belief.

Here is my example: One can have the faith can move mountains. I mean, they
love God, know that God can do a-n-ything, they know God loves them and can
heal them...it's even beyond faith.
BUT, if they're core belief is, even subconscious belief (unaware)..that they are "notworthy...
they do not deserve to be healed...they deserve this cancer...they were bad...God
is punishing them".
Guess what? They will not be healed because of their beliefs....though they have faith that
God can heal and does heal....(others, not them).

Was their faith really doubt, so they were double-minded? No, their faith was
like a rock!
It was their belief that was 'it'.
wow, ty

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already know that those verses mean something different to me than they do to you. I believe that the Spirit of truth will guide anyone who is paying attention and is obedient into all truth. You believe that those words were meant for the Church as do I. What the Church is exactly is where we part company.
Not if you understand Scripture in it's proper context.

When Jesus instructed the crowds - He was instruction every individual.
When Jesus instructed his inner circle - He was instructing the LEADERS of His Church.

There is a reason why only the Apostles were at the Last Supper and received these instructions.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP Subject,
"Are Beliefs and Faith the Same?". NO, belief set the goal, and faith accomplish it. best describe in an example. if a man was sitting in front of food, he believes that the food will fill his hunger, but if he never lift a hand in bringing the food to his mouth his hunger will never quench. he could believe all day that the food will fill him, until he do something about the hunger it will always be in the belief stage.

that's my 2 cent worth.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see the food scenario differently...
Sounds to me action would fill his tummy.
(Even if he was full of doubt).
So seeing for himself after taking action would eliminate a need for faith or belief...all he needed to lift the fork was curiousity and wonderment.
From my viewpoint.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see the food scenario differently...
Sounds to me action would fill his tummy.
(Even if he was full of doubt).
So seeing for himself after taking action would eliminate a need for faith or belief...all he needed to lift the fork was curiousity and wonderment.
From my viewpoint.
they work hand in hand.
action is worthless if he didn't believe the food would fill him.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not if you understand Scripture in it's proper context.

When Jesus instructed the crowds - He was instruction every individual.
When Jesus instructed his inner circle - He was instructing the LEADERS of His Church.

There is a reason why only the Apostles were at the Last Supper and received these instructions.
Well we have both had our say on this and now we can leave it in the hands of God who does know all of the correct answers. If we follow Him in sincerity neither one of us will go wrong.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can say we have to have faith or we can say we have to have belief and mean exactly the same thing... or we can say there is a difference as you explained, but what does God really say?

A belief is our own but faith is a gift of God. We can believe in Jesus but do we have the faith of Jesus? Does our faith meet His faith? Even the demons believe and tremble.

Galatians 2:16, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Justified by the faith of Jesus Christ and we place our faith in Jesus Christ and without the faithfulness of Jesus, faith is meaningless.

Galatians 2:20, I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A belief is our own but faith is a gift of God. We can believe in Jesus but do we have the faith of Jesus? Does our faith meet His faith? Even the demons believe and tremble.

Galatians 2:16, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Justified by the faith of Jesus Christ and we place our faith in Jesus Christ and without the faithfulness of Jesus, faith is meaningless.

Galatians 2:20, I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I understand your definitions and the verses you quoted. My point is that communication often fails because people use the words the way they do without making sure the other guy understands what you are saying.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:3 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith". and faith must be built on, supportive scripture, 2 Peter 1:5 "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge". and the rest are listed.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well we have both had our say on this and now we can leave it in the hands of God who does know all of the correct answers. If we follow Him in sincerity neither one of us will go wrong.
That's yet another one of your relativist responses. There is only ONE truth and we can't both be correct.
And you can't follow God "sincerely" if you don't know Him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is indeed a difference between belief and faith.

With belief, the matter is possibly finished. Whether or not you need to wait to see the outcome, you are convinced and committed, and if it aligns with God's truth, it is finished.

With faith, the matter is not finished with you, even if it is with God.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
they work hand in hand.
Oh...and that was my point...action was not worthless....he didn't have to 'believe or have any
faith' at all!
He could be just filled with simple childlike curiosity...food smelled good he
was hungry ..."Let's try this..."

We probably agree on faith and belief...just not this particular example, is all, my new friend.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A belief is our own, but faith is a gift of God.
We can believe in Jesus, but do we have the faith of Jesus?
Does our faith meet His faith?
Even the demons believe and tremble.
That was very astute.

Reactions: pia

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
they work hand in hand.

Well said.

Likewise also, "belief" is worthless if not accompanied by "action". Thus, to say we "believe", if we do not combine that with the "action" of doing that which "God" has asked / instructed of His people. Is it truly "belief". For if we do not combine the "action" with our "belief", it is not really "belief", but "unbelief" in that we did not "act" upon it. Or rather, we did not believe enough to "act", thus, faithless / unbelieving.

Luk 18:8b ... Nevertheless, when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likewise also, "belief" is worthless if not accompanied by "action".
Thus, to say we "believe", if we do not combine that with the "action" of doing that which "God" has asked / instructed of His people.
Is it truly "belief".
For if we do not combine the "action" with our "belief", it is not really "belief", but "unbelief" in that we did not "act" upon it.
Or rather, we did not believe enough to "act", thus, faithless / unbelieving.
Exactly. And this is why I am a healer... (an easy way to say the Holy Spirit does
all the work and I just basically stand there...hahahaha)...and I believe every
single Christian 'should' be...I don't usually use 'should sentences'.
Ya gotta put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.
Lemme tell ya...putting yourself in front of people when they ask for healing prayer...
is action based on faith and belief and banishing any form of ego (doubt, fear,shyness).
icon_thumleft.gif

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
There is indeed a difference between belief and faith.

With belief, the matter is possibly finished. Whether or not you need to wait to see the outcome, you are convinced and committed, and if it aligns with God's truth, it is finished.

With faith, the matter is not finished with you, even if it is with God.
ah ty, i knew i started this thread for a reason. This post is why i guess. i would minus 'possibly' there tho, prolly more like 'prolly.'

Reactions: ScottA