Are Beliefs and Faith the Same?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Lemme tell ya...putting yourself in front of people when they ask for healing prayer...
is action based on faith and belief and banishing any form of ego (doubt, fear,shyness).
icon_thumleft.gif
hmm, finding it hard to reconcile that last bit with Benny Hinn...

(and now i'm curious if you get a notification for this edit? ty)

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, finding it hard to reconcile that last bit with Benny Hinn...
Well, I'm not Benny...and a lot of
other healers aren't, you can tell the difference because we are all poorer!
icon_geek.gif

Added later: What stops you? You are a Christian, right?
I haven't been here long enuf to know everyone.
I'm not challenging your faith...in fact, don't ans me...it's a rhetorical question for any Christian to consider if
they feel like it....I don't make a habit of telling people what to do..tho, it
may seem it at times! Ha
But, I think it is still 'on topic'...faith, belief...has turned into talking about action.

bbyrd...you can unlike this if you'd like with the new edit....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just to clear up your rhetorical Q here, so we can consider it; what stops me from what, sorry?
Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear...
What stops 'anyone' from healing, healing with prayer, praying for healing,
laying on of hands or faith healing ....(whatever name one calls it), being an
intercessor for the Holy Spirit...calling forth healing?

Like, going into the ICU, when asked, of a friend of a friend, that is dying, being kept alive on lung and heart machines (being breathed), in a coma....and praying for her to be healed ...head to toe, no vegetable brain!
What would stop a Christian from doing that...(not you,bb, I don't want to put any one person 'on the spot', really.)
If someone wants to think out loud here...great, it might help someone else.

This is where the rubber hits the pavement!
icon_cool.gif

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear...

Like, going into the ICU, when asked, of a friend of a friend, that is dying, being kept alive on lung and heart machines (being breathed), in a coma....and praying for her to be healed ...head to toe, no vegetable brain!
What would stop a Christian from doing that...(not you,bb, I don't want to put any one person 'on the spot', really.)
If someone wants to think out loud here...great, it might help someone else.

This is where the rubber hits the pavement!
icon_cool.gif
hmm. i'm not at all sure what would stop someone; healing is a gift though i guess. Strictly for effect i'd like to quote something pertinent imo, to see how you might reply:

"You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery"

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"speaking in tongues"
Absolutely! I do speak in tongues, but it is between me and God because for me that is the purpose. Other people, even where I attend services, as I see it, misuse and abuse it and criticize others for not letting their tongues be heard it public.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Absolutely! I do speak in tongues, but it is between me and God because for me that is the purpose. Other people, even where I attend services, as I see it, misuse and abuse it and criticize others for not letting their tongues be heard it public.
ah, well, i meant a different reference there, but ok, that too, if you like. ref Paul's "gurgling and cooing like a baby" imo

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's yet another one of your relativist responses. There is only ONE truth and we can't both be correct.

Consider the Body of Christ: If I am an ear and you are a foot, then you had best leave hearing to me and I had best leave walking to you. If in that scenario I am hearing and you are walking then we are both right.

And you can't follow God "sincerely" if you don't know Him.
Everyone who is not reprobate has a glimmer of light given. To follow the glimmer to find the Light may well be sincerity without really knowing the Lord. God understands about those who are still on mild versus the ones have started eating meat.

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9

That means every man born of woman. This is NOT speaking of being born again or born from above.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strictly for effect i'd like to quote something pertinent imo, to see how you might reply:
"You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery"
I don't now what that means 'strictly for effect'.
If someone calls me for anything ...and they do, because word gets around...I'm there...
immediately.
And actually some psychics and some Christians do win the lottery and many many other things (talking horse races Trifectas and stuff...my mom did a lot! Was she ever psychic....
or intuitive or whatever you call it!)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I don't now what that means 'strictly for effect'.
meaning not sure i entirely agree with the intent of the quote, yet nonetheless it apparently contains some truth
And actually some psychics and some Christians do win the lottery
hmm. Strikes me that a healer actually healing in a hospital would be pretty easy to document...

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What stops "anyone" from healing could be their natural mind overriding the spiritual and the healing happens through God gifted doctors and not in what Jesus has done, Matthew 8:17. Doctors are human, you're still sick and there's the kick in the pants to get spiritual and it is a faith thing, 1 Corinthians 2:5. The belief is there that God wants you healed and it's faith in what Jesus has done that gets you healed and with that, you don't get the credit.

We all have a personal responsibility of applying the Word, understanding with the heart, to turn and be healed, Isaiah 6:9,10.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is indeed a difference between belief and faith.

With belief, the matter is possibly finished. Whether or not you need to wait to see the outcome, you are convinced and committed, and if it aligns with God's truth, it is finished.

With faith, the matter is not finished with you, even if it is with God.

EXCELLENT and so clearly said....I wish I had said that. :)

Reactions: ScottA

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are Beliefs and Faith the Same?
They are similar in the sense that they are agreements we have made for ourselves. Both carry the agreement that they are true.

There are differences:
Belief is mainly to do with what is.
Faith is mainly to do with what is yet.

Belief is an agreement which is still not at a stage of being whole, complete, and obvious. There is still some reserve, even if it is subtle. We do not look at the blue sky and say "I believe that is the sky". It is obviously the sky, and we say "That is the sky". However, the 'obvious' is easier in the realm of the visible, but not so easy in the realm of the invisible. That is why most Christians normally say "I believe in God" instead of always saying "God is". This is where faith comes into it.

Faith is an agreement that a belief will become fruitful (become obvious). So in this regard, faith is a belief but more so.
Faith unreserved is already at the stage of being obviously so. This type of faith, coupled with Truth, creates miracles (manifestations). IMHO

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider the Body of Christ: If I am an ear and you are a foot, then you had best leave hearing to me and I had best leave walking to you. If in that scenario I am hearing and you are walking then we are both right.

Everyone who is not reprobate has a glimmer of light given. To follow the glimmer to find the Light may well be sincerity without really knowing the Lord. God understands about those who are still on mild versus the ones have started eating meat.

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9

That means every man born of woman. This is NOT speaking of being born again or born from above.
Uh-huh, and there s only ONE Light - and God isn't going to lead somebody to only PART of that light.
He leads us to the fullness of Truth - His Church. Some follow - and others don't.

You cannot reject His Church and expect to find the fullness of Truth (Luke 10:16).

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
imo belief hinders faith; or at least usually

Depends upon the circumstance / belief I would say. However, it certainly can. For we can lock ourselves away by standing upon a given "belief", that does not line up with aletheia.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Faith,
Faith is what you stand on, when you choose to get close to God and the devil finds out. Than one day there is an explosion, and all around you there is dust settling as if a bomb just went off, You look ahead but can see nothing you look behind and all you see is the aftermath, Then you wake up, and you wonder what happened, yesterday you had a life, today you seemed to have nothing left. You listen for Gods voice but it seems silent in teh midst of teh moment, so you cry out to Him, wondering where He is, but still you hear nothing. Yet all around you is bad new, this is wrong that is wrong, and you stand there bewildered, so you again cry out to God, and you tell Him, it doesnt matter what I see, nor what I hear, for I know you have purpose for me, and what teh enemy set up for my destruction you will raise up so that you will be glorified.

That is faith, it is something that belief will not see you through.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh-huh, and there s only ONE Light - and God isn't going to lead somebody to only PART of that light.
He leads us to the fullness of Truth - His Church. Some follow - and others don't.

You cannot reject His Church and expect to find the fullness of Truth (Luke 10:16).
Sometimes I just want to kick myself for trying. Reading and trying to understand the other person's viewpoint would at least make it a discussion... even if no one changed on a single point.