Are New Testament Believers Required To Tithe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
let me ask a hyperthetical question.

if i give you $20.00 for your birthday or you sell unwanted garage items in a yard sale for $50.00 or find a wallet with $10.00 in it with no id, are you gonna pay tithes on it?

No, because the tithe is only part of the old covenant through Moses.
smile.gif

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Well, there you go Jiggyfly, I can't come up with something better or more funny, on the fly.....................

YOU WIN...........(this time) I will always be in the shadows with my bible, ready to strike. Muhahahahaha..

Jesus Is Lord.

gator347

May 7, 2008
Well, there you go Jiggyfly, I can't come up with something better or more funny, on the fly.....................

YOU WIN...........(this time) I will always be in the shadows with my bible, ready to strike. Muhahahahaha..

Jesus Is Lord.

God is Our Father and he loves us no matter what we do, have done, or will do. If we believe in our heart & confess with our mouth we are saved.

That being said:

I don’t go to services, read the Bible or help out my neighbor, because I want to go to heaven.

I don’t Tithe to gain favor.

I am not stealing if I don’t Tithe 10%. Why? Because it is ALL His money.

Why do I do these things? Because I LOVE the Lord. I want to be close to God. I want to Honor our Lord.

Christ said to tithe from the heart not the law. God won’t love you any more or any less. But if you want to live life to the fullest, follow Christ’s example.

01CobraVortech

May 2, 2010
NJ
I've come to agree with Brother Mike's position on tithing. God forgive me for stealing from you Lord for so many years. I think back how well I've done over the years and credited that to myself and how dumb and ignorant I was for believing that this was all because of my own hard work. The Lord has blessed me financially and gave me one job opportunity and money making possibility after the next and boy how little credit, if any did I give the Mighty Lord. So much good can be done with tihing and giving back. Hoarding it up for yourself and self indulgence doesn't seem to me to be any way to bless others. Tithing FTW!

gator347

May 7, 2008
I've come to agree with Brother Mike's position on tithing. God forgive me for stealing from you Lord for so many years. I think back how well I've done over the years and credited that to myself and how dumb and ignorant I was for believing that this was all because of my own hard work. The Lord has blessed me financially and gave me one job opportunity and money making possibility after the next and boy how little credit, if any did I give the Mighty Lord. So much good can be done with tihing and giving back. Hoarding it up for yourself and self indulgence doesn't seem to me to be any way to bless others. Tithing FTW!

Do you not think that God will bless you if you don't give?

Do you have kids? Do you not help them because you love them or because you will gain something?

However, there is a reason God wants you to give back. When ever you give of your free will it is a blessing to ALL. He wants us to expience the joy of giving.

gator347

May 7, 2008
Got some scripture to support your statement?
smile.gif

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV)7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver

OK it was Paul. But who loves a cheerful giver?

Where do you think he came up with that little nugget?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Just to warn you Gator................ Jiggyfly will think that scripture you used has nothing to do with tithing.............. He already knew that scripture before he asked you.

Mike.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Just to warn you Gator................ Jiggyfly will think that scripture you used has nothing to do with tithing.............. He already knew that scripture before he asked you.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, and I agree it has nothing to do with tithing I see no mention of ten percent either.
tongue.gif

But Paul did say "You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully."

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
I suppose your Welcome Jiggyfly..........................Though I am pretty sure if Paul was not rushed that day, He would have added the tithe part in..........Remember he was always very busy. :rolleyes:

Jesus Is Lord.

revdw76

Jan 12, 2010
Richland City, Indiana
Thanks Mike, and I agree it has nothing to do with tithing I see no mention of ten percent either.
tongue.gif

But Paul did say "You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully."

HMM... Seems to me a lot of people here were wanting me to do the very things I underlined in the quote.
biggrin.gif

Actually I have been giving my tithe to God while paying my monthly bills. ONe of my bills each month is the cost of the church website I maintain, Sandridge Ministries.com or www.sandridgeministries.com . I operate this site with no money being donated to this ministry.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
[email protected]................The Thread is about giving to God a ten percent of what your earn, or make. It sounds like you do give.

I am sort of concerned though about the attitude of the Church doing something for you?? I get word that changes my life, Healing scripture that can heal my body, The word of God has saved me and my family. I am at church to learn how to serve God the rest of the week. I am not there to take anything from the Church. At times the Church spends a few hundred thousand dollars a year and we have what we call Celebration Sunday with rides and all the free food you want. We invite everyone that wants to come, and all free. The church also buys gifts for mothers day for all the ladies or for fathers day (Not for the ladies, but men :rolleyes:)

Now, put your family first if you like, but I am sorry. God always comes first in my life.

Jesus is Lord.

OK, brother. Let me be more specific so that you can at least give a modicum of effort to understanding my point of view.

Regarding my statement about the church doing something for me.
It hasn't. I've been unemployed for lengthy periods of time AND THE CHURCH NEVER HELPED A BIT.
My wife had cancer and instead of comfort, members of our church asked her what sin she committed.
(In my mind it was the sin of fellowship with such a bunch of heartless, judgmental, self-righteous, pompous snobs.)

Since when does a battle for one's life, the preservation of one's family and livelihood become a side issue to land development, repavement of the parking lot, a bond issue, and the purchase of an obscenely expensive sculpture for the lobby? Oh and did I mention twelve foot LCD TV screens on each side of the stage and an open-for-business coffee shop DURING THE WORSHIP service?

Whatever happened to holiness, reverence and worship? It went the way of Wal-mart, Starbucks and American Idol.

I never said that I put my family before God. Read my post again.
God and the Church are TWO different things. (Thanks be to God for that.)

I DID SAY that I put my family before the church.
Why? Bottom line folks is that the church is gimme, gimme, gimme all the time.
When a man needs comfort and REAL HELP, the church is there to profoundly and emphatically state that I need to search somewhere else.

I attended seminary for a couple of years. In the end I left because of my adamant refusal to reject Christ as my Lord and Saviour.
A day came in my life when I sat before the board of ministry and was told that unless I did so I would not be allowed to be ordained.
That was the Episcopal Church, by the way, and I still remember the Dean's question to me, "Why can't you understand that it's just a job?"

Meanwhile the Dean and his buddies were busy covering up a fellow priests' sexual misadventures with mentally handicapped teenagers.
And a bishops adulterous affair with the aforementioned priests' wife.
And of course the unspoken back room agreement that any Bible believing heterosexual young man would be rejected from THE CHURCH.

This is how it plays out - ye who are so holy ..... in order of devotion and duty in my life.
MY GOD
MY FAMILY
MY JOB
MY ENTERTAINMENT
MY CAR
MY DOG
MY TOILET PAPER
my church

I'm not surprised to hear how you believe that the church is more important than God, family, bills, etc. You and your future empty halls will one day ask God why everything went south (along with THE PEOPLE who needed help and never got it).

And you won't have a clue why everything seemed to go wrong.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
I'm not surprised to hear how you believe that the church is more important than God

Go back and read......... I never said that...... Sorry to hear your church is like that, or the one you did go to.

Jesus Is Lord.

bling

May 5, 2009
I find this thread a little disturbing.

The Law was nailed to the cross, but it can still be used for examples and it helps a lot to know how God interacted with the Jews.

To many times I have seen the tithe use to justify spending the 90% selfishly. I have also heard some use it to suggest God will repay them with lots more money if they give a 10% and will not let them go hungry.

The tithe was initial established like a tax to pay for the education, health and religious institution and also provide some of the executive function of the Government with the Levi tribe (prior to the Jews having Kings, since they were not to have them).

Today we are under the Christian Dispensation (this is the age of Jubilee) and the time and place where we can worship 24/7. The good news is: we are the priests, we are the temple, we are the sacrifice and we carry the alter around all the time. Our worship is in our offering up to God obedience to His commands, which include serving/loving others. We are not 10% committed to the cause but 100% committed, so all our money can go toward helping the cause.

As far as the gift of giving it has nothing to do with the amount or percentage, but the attitude and sacrifice. Paul as an example gave sacrificially and did not make lots of money. First century Christians were imprisoned, hungry, cold and tortured, not because they were poor givers.
It has been my experience: if you want the gift of being a giver, God will help you by making it easier for you to sacrifice like the widow who gave. Your joy, Love and witness will increase but your pocketbook will decrease.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Hello Bling!!!!!!

I don't know what you see so disturbing................ Some here want to keep their money, not everyone wants to tithe.

You can throw the principle of tithing under the Old Laws and never bother with it. God won't bug you with it.

As for me? God said bring the tithes into the storehouse........... and prove that I will not pour you out a blessing there shall not be room enough to receive........ Then he said he would rebuke the devourer for our sake, that things will not break down before it is time, or what is of value to you. The vine shall not cast it's fruit down before it's time. So, what you have the devourer will not take it early. Satan is the destroyer........

Now, in my simple thinking I read something God says, and just believe it. I want blessed, I want my things to last. I want to put God first before any bill or family need gets taken care of. The tithe is a good way to do that. God first............Always first.

Now if you Honor God, He will Honor you.

If I have a need, I don't have to even think about it. Each year it is better and better. More than once I have sowed all my bill money. Why? God is first.

In this month alone not only have we tithed but given over 1,500 dollars for someones rent, food, and we sowed our 800.00 brand new bed........ ya, the room is empty, but at least one of my Sisters is not sleeping on a air mattress anymore.

God is good!!!

Now I have been believing for a house for four years............ took that long to get that faith. Not just any house. I wanted a Dock to the Lake here in Branson MO. That is Tanney commo Lake where there is trout and they hold professional bass tournaments here.

Most of those houses start at 300,000. Way past what I could start to believe for at the start...........
God is good though. Not only did we find a house this month, but I get my dock!!!! God also dropped the price of the house 100,000 dollars.......... We sign for it June 24, 2010. Glory to God!!!!

Both my vans, someone sowed to us, someone is sowing a newer van to my wife this month, and I can't count the times someone has just handed us money and we did not even know them. God also knows that if he tells me to give anything, I don't give it a second thought. I won't be attached to things...................

So Bling........ don't fret........ you don't have to tithe and just give if you wish. As for me, I am extremely blessed, and will continue to tithe faithfully, that the blessings of the Lord will someday come where I will not have room enough to receive........Everyone around me then will be blessed.

Jesus Is Lord.

revdw76

Jan 12, 2010
Richland City, Indiana
OK, brother. Let me be more specific so that you can at least give a modicum of effort to understanding my point of view.

This is how it plays out - ye who are so holy ..... in order of devotion and duty in my life.
MY GOD
MY FAMILY
MY JOB
MY ENTERTAINMENT
MY CAR
MY DOG
MY TOILET PAPER
my church

I'm not surprised to hear how you believe that the church is more important than God, family, bills, etc. You and your future empty halls will one day ask God why everything went south (along with THE PEOPLE who needed help and never got it).

And you won't have a clue why everything seemed to go wrong.

With me MY DOG(OR IN MY CASE CATS) and MY TOILET PAPER actually come before MY ENTERTAINMENT.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Jesus said if we seek God, The kingdom of God, His things first, then everything under that list will be added. Things just take care of themselves!!! :)

Jesus Is Lord