Are Protestants "saved? "

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How sad it must be to have such resentment. Most Protestants are much more willing to accept all of God's people. Were you mugged by a nun, or something?
No resentment at all. Simple Glorious Truth.
Martin Luther and all the Reformers for a while all made this very clear.
Now the daughters of the whore have become like her, and joined with her.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been a member of various communities of online believers for maybe 20 or so years now. I discovered them when i first discovered the internet, and was brave enough to buy my first computer and dive in.
In that time, I have discovered two very important things. First, I have noticed that many, even a great many, Christians who in their own eyes are theologically correct, "who understand the truth and desire everyone else to understand the truth just as they do", are often some of the more obnoxious members of those communities. " knowing truth" I have discovered does not always equate with true undefiled religion. They are impatient... Rude... Insulting... And generally a pain to talk to.
The second thing I have discovered is that I am no exception. I too can skip into that "I am right and have the truth and you are wrong and believe a lie" mode... For what? To gloat? To feel better about myself... Better than others?
@Marymog Im not interested in arguing with you further. I don't think it benefits either of us. Have you read all the posts on this thread? Numbers 306,307,308 of mine reveal my perspective. I'm not arguing over theology with you. But history has revealed who I should trust. Your church's own writings reveal who I should trust.
Christianity isn't about being right or wrong. The gospel isn't about right or wrong. Don't get me wrong, truth matters. I didn't come into this thread to discuss theology. I simply wanted to comment on the historical fact that in the eyes of the Catholic system, going back over centuries, Protestants are not saved, for the very reasons you are currently attempting to prove. That the Catholic Church is the only true church. And Mary, that isn't what the gospel is about.
The greatest deception of the human mind in Christ's day was that a mere assent to the truth constitutes righteousness. In all human experience a theoretical knowledge of the truth has been proved to be insufficient for the saving of the soul. It does not bring forth the fruits of righteousness. A jealous regard for what is termed theological truth often accompanies a hatred of genuine truth as made manifest in life. The darkest chapters of history are burdened with the record of crimes committed by bigoted religionists. The Pharisees claimed to be children of Abraham, and boasted of their possession of the oracles of God; yet these advantages did not preserve them from selfishness, malignity, greed for gain, and the basest hypocrisy. They thought themselves the greatest religionists of the world, but their so-called orthodoxy led them to crucify the Lord of glory.
The same danger still exists. Many take it for granted that they are Christians, simply because they subscribe to certain theological tenets. But they have not brought the truth into practical life. They have not believed and loved it, therefore they have not received the power and grace that come through sanctification of the truth. Men may profess faith in the truth; but if it does not make them sincere, kind, patient, forbearing, heavenly-minded, it is a curse to its possessors, and through their influence it is a curse to the world. DA 309.2 - DA 309.3
Thank you brakelite!

Since you don’t want to talk about theology.....what would you like to talk about?

Respectfully, Mary

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible.
"ACCURSED" are those who bring a false gospel.
God cannot lie, and does not, as He is not a man, and His Words Will By No Means Pass Away - they are a safeguard and a refuge and a light for us who abide in Jesus Christ.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ did give His apostles that authority, but with the passing of the apostles, that authority also passed on. Elders in the apostolic churches did NOT have any such authority.
Thank you Enoch.

Is it your belief that Matthew 18:17 was only in effect until the last Apostle died?

Where does scripture say after the death of the last Apostle the Elders of The Church no longer have authority?

The Apostles did not leave us with a list of letters that were to be included in the Christian NT. Christian men, who met several hundred years after the death of the last Apostle, decided what letters were considered scriptural. Do you accept the authority of those men?

Curious Mary

Reactions: Yehren

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the church started on pentecost, when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit and the body of Christ was formed....
Hi EG,

Ummmm.....In all fairness you did not answer my question.

I will re-word the question since it appears my original question might be a bit confusing:

Can any denomination that was started after the Reformation be taken out of consideration as being part of the foundation of The Church (which started on Pentecost)?

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible.
"ACCURSED" are those who bring a false gospel.

Lots of Christians have erroneous ideas about the Gospel. So long as you love God and love your neighbor, the errors won't condemn you. When the King returns to separate the sheep and the goats, He won't be giving you a theology test. That's not what determines your eternal home.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it so es down to this

there are three gospels being taught throughout all who claim to be the church

1. salvation through faith plus works

2. salvation by grace through faith, and those who have faith are sanctified by God and he completes in them what he started

3. salvation by saying some sinners prayer, but you can live your life however you want, faith is not true faith, it is mere belief, even demons believe

sadly many many denominations teach the first one, including the Roman Catholic Church (yes, your not the only one)

quite a few denominations teach the second

I will be honest, I know a few people who teach the last, but not sure I know of any denominations

your right in one thing, only one of these gospels is right,

your wrong in the theory your church is the only one who is right
Thank you EG.....What other denominations are claiming to be “The Church”?

You said that only one of the teachings is right. Which one of the 3 you listed is the right teaching?

If my Church is NOT the only one who is right then which other church is right?

Curious Mary

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of Christians have erroneous ideas about the Gospel. So long as you love God and love your neighbor, the errors won't condemn you. When the King returns to separate the sheep and the goats, He won't be giving you a theology test. That's not what determines your eternal home.
? Do you know the Scripture I am referring to? (I forget what chapter/verse)
It is not at all talking about erroneous ideas about the Gospel.
THe false gospel is a false Jesus, a false redemption, a false doctrine, ACCURSED BY JESUS - not placated, not allowed, not to be tolerted. (and it condemns the souls deceived by it,if they do not repent of it)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I am making a point you refuse and have refused since the begining to acknowledge

let’s okay your game

did God give (your words) THEM? (Not Peter only)

yes, as foundation stones

god is the STONE who gave them the authority, it was built on HiM, not them
Hola EG,

The foundation was started with Him or as you say “built on Him”. The Apostles then completed that foundation. That was 2,000 years ago. Has nothing been built upon that foundation since then?

Curious Mary

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot was built in error, in rome, starting with Constantine, and continued in the abominations from the popes.

Thanks be to God, HIGHEST IN HEAVEN, He Started a RESTORATION OF TRUTH/ of salvation by faith, of exposing the prince of darkness,

by, during, in, and so forth , the Reformation (i.e. Protestants who learned the truth and were set free from the abominations and the false gospel of Catholicism) ,
though now, that is not clear to most.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
? Do you know the Scripture I am referring to? (I forget what chapter/verse)
It is not at all talking about erroneous ideas about the Gospel.
THe false gospel is a false Jesus, a false redemption, a false doctrine, ACCURSED BY JESUS - not placated, not allowed, not to be tolerted. (and it condemns the souls deceived by it,if they do not repent of it)

If your love for God and your fellow man is greater than your anger at those who don't agree with your theology, this will cease to bother you. Theology is not how God decides where we will spend eternity. It's merely a way for evil to divide God's people.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostles did not leave us with a list of letters that were to be included in the Christian NT. Christian men, who met several hundred years after the death of the last Apostle, decided what letters were considered scriptural. Do you accept the authority of those men?

This is where they always end up between a rock and a hard place. But even on this, their salvation does not depend on it.

Reactions: Marymog

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority of those opposed to Jesus is like the authority of the Scribes and Pharisees in the first century, in the NT, who sought to put Jesus and His followers to death.
This is not changed today.
It is not an authority ever to follow, nor to live like they do, as Jesus called them frauds, sons of the devil, hypocrites.
Jesus says "BEWARE" not like, those fellows.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority of those opposed to Jesus is like the authority of the Scribes and Pharisees in the first century, in the NT, who sought to put Jesus and His followers to death.

I don't think you're opposed to Jesus. You're just uncomfortable with a lot of things He says.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you're opposed to Jesus. You're just uncomfortable with a lot of things He says.
Sorry, what ! In union with Him - this is , as written, the strength of my joy, in Him. The errors of the enemy, the darkness, vexes us and wears us out , it is so common, and so prevalent here and everywhere.
If you are comfortable in all the sin, instead of vexed (as Lot was , when surrounded by so much wickedness (greater wickedness today, btw) ) ,
then as Jesus Himself says: WOE to you who are comfortable, for you have received your comfort... (what follows later is destruction, not comfort, for those who are at ease surrounded by such sinfulness) ....

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, what ! In union with Him

I see your denial. But your behavior is more persuasive. Set your pride aside, and let it be His way. We are all sinners. You, too.

And we all do tend to be more comfortable with our sins than with the sins of others.

Just once, move to the back of the church and say "have mercy upon me, a sinner!"

You're just like the rest of us. And it would be good for your soul for you to realize it.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see your denial. But your behavior is more persuasive. Set your pride aside, and let it be His way.
Jesus denied the Scribes' and Pharisees' lies also.
You see my denial of the false gospel, GOOD - it is GOOD TESTIMONY THEN - seen even by the wicked.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi EG,

Ummmm.....In all fairness you did not answer my question.

I will re-word the question since it appears my original question might be a bit confusing:

Can any denomination that was started after the Reformation be taken out of consideration as being part of the foundation of The Church (which started on Pentecost)?
I did answer your question

the church started at pentecost

you will find the truth church expands across many denomination,

a denominational difference is really based on how different they are and how they worship. Most have the same basic doctrines

if people are sick of the “status quo” and start a different church which does things differently, is this a bad thing?

it has gotten to the point we are seeing numerous non denominational churches, because the traditional church has stopped what paul commanded, and lived as an example, of being all things to all people

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because the traditional church has stopped what paul commanded
and paul was trained by Jesus.
So the traditional church opposes Jesus.
So it is good for people to obey Jesus and God ALmighty: "Come out of her my people" Do not participate in her wanton abominations.