Are We Required to Tithe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he was addressing the multitude and disciples. He did upbraid the pharisees but it was to teach the disciples how NOT to do it. Its not too different than 1 Tim 5:20 which says rebuke them that sin before everyone, that others may fear.

The bottom line is that Jesus approved of proper tithing. Jesus said back in matt 23:1-3 to fo what they say to do, but not what they actually do. If you want an out then we can note that at that ttimethey were still under the law. All of them; not just the pharisees.

Ok. Acts 18:3. Yes Paul made tents. Now where is your scripture thats says he used that to support himself? There isn't any!

If I didn't have any verses that state Paul relied on givers you would have somewhat a point. However, I do! 2 Cor 9 is entirely about this subject and in chapter 10 he says its to preach in regions beyond Greece.

1 Thess 2:9 says Paul preached the gospel so he wouldn't be chargable to them.

Phillipeans 4 says they "communicated" with Paul by giving to supply his necessities. And in Gal 6:6 Paul says let him that is taught communicate (give) with him that teacheth in all good things.

So there are plenty of verses that show Paul lived and traveled off the offerings. You have but one verse that says he was a tentmaker and none that say thats where he got his travel and living expenses from.

Well... In post #9 of this thread I referenced Gen 14:20, Gal 3:15-17, Matt 23:23, 2 Cor 9:7, Luke 4:6 and Cor 8:9.

In post #41 I referenced Matt 23:1-3 and corrected your assertation that "tithe" isn't in the NT by saying it was at least 7 times. That would be Mat 23:23, Luke 11:42, 18:12, Heb 7:5,6, 8 and 9. That's a total of 18 verses and I couldve quoted more!

You, on the other hand have referenced Matt 23:23 (because I brought it up), matt 23:13 and Acts 18:3. That's 3 verses.

So tell me again how i haven't quoted one single scripture.

Luke 4:6 KJV
And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

You are right in that Satan was tring to take something. He failed... My point is that he did try to give Jesus something. Its right there in bold print.

Whats worse is that you are missing the important point here. There are 3 parties here: God, Satan and us. God's a giver. We can give and Satan can't give. He tried but he isn't a giver.

Here is something I wrote in post #9:

"I know the talking points and debating ooints against these verses, but I won't go any farther in defending tithing, though I could. What I would like to focus on is the simple act of giving. "

The only reason we are discussing tithing is because you picked that ball up. I have one or two other discussions going on with other people in this thread, and we are talking about giving. You are the only one diacussing tithing with me.

Paul also said this
2Cor 2:17
Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but the English word for love is or can mean anything, love of money ? love of want, love of foolish desires etc sadly and that's a big problem nowadays that the word Love can be bastardised so easy.
Like nowadays I hear many fools claim love is love, wrong ! two wrongs do not make a right.

True Love is Charity of the soul.

Charity, a word that can be used for! Giving, Spiritually first and foremost, But, to express Spiritual need's most time there is the lesser use of the word! as in taking care of physical needs, food, clothing, caring as in doing welfare visit's, elderly,sick, people in prison - without merit to be there, and then those that are there for the wrong's they have done! that said, If we give a drink of water in the name of an Apostle, we can receive an Apostle's reward! Our Savior has made it clear, if you have done these thing's to them then you have done it unto Me!
Yes LOVE is far more than anything, the world has to offer to love!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul also said this
2Cor 2:17
Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

The KJV says it differently, but I have no problem with this verse either way.

Christianity was in its infancy when Paul wrote that. We tend to think that profitting on the gospel is a new thing... But appearantly it happened within 20 years of the Death and Resurrection.

I believe in giving. And I believe you must give to someone preaching truth. Many are giving to false preachers and I do pray that God will honor their sincerity.

Reactions: Truth

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask God what you should do as to giving. Don't let some high flying prosperity syndrome preacher condemn you into doing anything. They preach that the only holdover from the OT law is tithing...to them of course.

1 Corinthians 16:2 KJVS
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

One visiting preacher wanted a $39 offering. One dollar for every stripe Jesus took so that a surgeon's knife would never touch your body.

Sounds very spiritual! A few of us remained seated. My wife stood and gave while I remained seated...later she had three caesarian sections for our children. Oops! Out of say 100 in the congregation only about 5 did not agree with this charlatan.

We give what He tells us where He tells us.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask God what you should do as to giving. Don't let some high flying prosperity syndrome preacher condemn you into doing anything. They preach that the only holdover from the OT law is tithing...to them of course.

1 Corinthians 16:2 KJVS
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

One visiting preacher wanted a $39 offering. One dollar for every stripe Jesus took so that a surgeon's knife would never touch your body.

Sounds very spiritual! A few of us remained seated. My wife stood and gave while I remained seated...later she had three caesarian sections for our children. Oops! Out of say 100 in the congregation only about 5 did not agree with this charlatan.

We give what He tells us where He tells us.
So what were you doing listening to that charitan?

Here's my problem Frank: Giving is a blessing. Yea... There are charotians out there. I get that. But God is a giver and he wants us to be givers too.

Yet you want to soil that blessing by your stupidity? Ley me tell you something, bud... If you thought he was a man of God and if he taught you anything, you should've gave too!

Your wife is blessed by her giving. You are cursed because you are not a giver!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not giving to a crook will curse a person?

Do you have a scripture for that? Lol
Do you have evidence he was a crook? He preached false doctrine for sure... But can you tell me what he preached wrong?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That guy was not preaching truth as far as I can see.

One dollar for every stripe Jesus took so that a surgeon's knife would never touch your body.

What kind of weird talk is that?
Yea... It is weird, but only because the Bible never says how many times he was whipped.

Thats what makes him false and he should've just said give whats in your heart .

My point is that giving is looked as a bad thing. Why is Frank telling this story? He's telling it to shun giving!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He probably does not want to be tricked into giving by a preacher who comes up with weird gimmicks and false doctrines.
I wouldn't either.

Knowing Frank, and reading his many posts on this forum, I can sense that he's a firm believer in giving, like we all should be.

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why this person's attack on me? His hate filled words will only come back to him.

Prayers for this pitiful man who has allowed a denomination to rule him.

Can a saved person call a stranger cursed? Do Christians do such things? They worship the doctrines of their denomination.

The Holy Spirit is absent in his words. I feel some anger but more pity.

To be attacked for urging others to seek God about what they give or do is not according to grace.

Christians have no control over who is invited to speak at their church.

This person's idol is apparently a man that portrays a hardened killer in movies.

His name is forever on my ignore list.

Why does he hate? I don't understand.

I do not know whether or not this person is saved. If he is then I do know that he has not been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Whatever he may believe about giving he is not a teacher for he uses coercion and harsh judging words to attack, not instruct or relate his opinion.

He has set himself up as a judge, jury and executioner.

May the Lord help me never to come to this site again.

To the few gentle souls I've seen here may the Lord help you through life. May all the unsaved on this site become saved.

May God reveal the deadness in denominations and their cold, anti Bible traditions and doctrines.

I looked for fellowship here and a chance to share with others. I find that Christian Forums are as much a trap as denominational churches.

Last edited:

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV says it differently, but I have no problem with this verse either way.

Christianity was in its infancy when Paul wrote that. We tend to think that profitting on the gospel is a new thing... But appearantly it happened within 20 years of the Death and Resurrection.

I believe in giving. And I believe you must give to someone preaching truth. Many are giving to false preachers and I do pray that God will honor their sincerity.
That translation is from the NIV.

I believe in giving to those who are preaching truth, also. The problem is that, after you get saved, you will hear very little truth from any mainstream denominational preacher. The following list is what they basically preach, none of which applies directly TO any Gentile living during the past 1900 years. Nowhere in the Bible will you find anything on the list applying to today's Gentiles. Those Gentiles during Acts were totally different, since they were all part of Israel, being grafted into Israel. Also, all of the blessings the Acts Gentiles had, belonged to Israel, who were sharing them. The Gentiles had no blessings of their own. In today's dispensation of the Mystery, all of the fantastic blessings we have are 100% our own, and Israel plays no part AT ALL.

All of these things are for past all-Israel dispensations. The doctrine for us Gentiles today is found in one place, and one place only, Paul's 7 after-Acts epistles - Eph, Phil, Col, 1&2Tim, Titus, and Philemon. Although the other 59, 100% ISRAEL books are necessary for our learning, there is NOTHING in them that is directly TO us or ABOUT us. And there is nothing in those 59 books that says that anyone would ever go to Heaven. The only people that will ever go to Heaven, according to the Bible, are those members of the brand-new Church Which is Christ's Actual Body, Where Christ is the Head, found ONLY in Paul's post-Acts books.

Just remember that,"Many are called, but few are chosen". All of us are Called to this Church in the Uncreated Highest Heaven, where Christ now sits at the right hand of God. To be Chosen, though, you must see it, believe it, and claim it. The only way that will happen is if God gives you the eyes of understanding to see the Hope of your Calling (Eph 1:16-18). I can't see God doing this if most all your beliefs revolve around things that are ISRAEL-ONLY. These are things you'll never get, because none of these things were ever intended for Gentiles. When they were originally given, they were given ONLY to Israel and the Gentiles had NO part in them. If they weren't given to Gentiles then, what makes Gentiles think they can claim them today? Especially when there is no scripture that says that anything on this list was ever given to us Gentiles today.

1- The Lord's Prayer applies to us today.
2- Saved Gentiles today will participate in the earthly Kingdom of Heaven
3- The Gospel taught by Jesus Christ takes precedent over everything else.
4- The Great Commission is the marching order for the Church today
5- The present day Church started with Christ's earthly ministry
6- The present day Church started at Pentecost, in Acts 2
7- True Israel is the Church
8- Israel are still God's chosen people, during this 2000 year period we're now in.
9- The Kingdom of Heaven is the hope of the Church.
10- The New Covenant is in effect for the Church today
11- The Sermon on the Mount applies to us today
12- The Church has replaced Israel
13- Water Baptism applies to us today.
14- The Gifts of the Spirit, as given in Acts 2, are still applicable today.
15- Today's Gentile Church will be taken up in the rapture.
16- Abraham is the Father of all saints
17- We saved Gentiles are grafted into Israel, the good olive tree.
18 -The rapture is the same as the Appearing in Titus 2:13
19- Our future home is the New Jerusalem
20- The purpose during Acts was to start the church.
21- The Law is for us Gentiles today
22- The Lord's Supper applies to today's Gentile Church

Last edited:
Reactions: charity

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why this person's attack on me? His hate filled words will only come back to him.

Prayers for this pitiful man who has allowed a denomination to rule him.

Can a saved person call a stranger cursed? Do Christians do such things? They worship the doctrines of their denomination.

The Holy Spirit is absent in his words. I feel some anger but more pity.

To be attacked for urging others to seek God about what they give or do is not according to grace.

Christians have no control over who is invited to speak at their church.

This person's idol is apparently a man that portrays a hardened killer in movies.

His name is forever on my ignore list.

Why does he hate? I don't understand.

I do not know whether or not this person is saved. If he is then I do know that he has not been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Whatever he may believe about giving he is not a teacher for he uses coercion and harsh judging words to attack, not instruct or relate his opinion.

He has set himself up as a judge, jury and executioner.

May the Lord help me never to come to this site again.

To the few gentle souls I've seen here may the Lord help you through life. May all the unsaved on this site become saved.

May God reveal the deadness in denominations and their cold, anti Bible traditions and doctrines.

I looked for fellowship here and a chance to share with others. I find that Christian Forums are as much a trap as denominational churches.

I may have been a little harsh, and that I apologize for... But you don't understand the importance and blessing of giving. If you aren't a giver you ARE cursed. See Mal 3:9. To not give to him that teaches and then above that to actually boast about not giving? Seriously?

You want to say the Holy Spirit is absent in my words... Well lets analyze that. The Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth. So if you can find anything I've said that isn't truthful, you might have a point. But let's look at something else: what is the evidence of the Holy Spirit? The tongue talking community will point to Acts 2 and say tongue talking. But go a few chapters ahead to chapter 5 and we find that when the HS moved on the believers they not only gave, they sold all their possessions to give!

So I have BIBLICAL EVIDENCE that if you aren't a giver the HS isn't in you!

By the way... They gave to the Apostles and the APostles distributed as they saw fit. The people didn't ask where the money went to and they didn't give directly to the poor.

So again, I am sorry if I was too harsh, but I am not backing down from my stance: Giving is a gift and those who aren't givers are under a curse (simply not being a giver and partaking in the blessing itself is a curse). Furthermore, to brag about it is rediculous.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But you don't understand the importance and blessing of giving.

Giving money to a false teacher is a waste of money.
No spirit filled Christian would do such a thing.

We need to be responsible where our tithes and offerings are going.
I myself have refused to give to a guy who was a false prophet.
Does that make me a cursed person? No.

--------------------------

I think Frank did the right thing:

Posted by Frank:
Quote: One visiting preacher wanted a $39 offering. One dollar for every stripe Jesus took so that a surgeon's knife would never touch your body.

End Quote.

-----------------------------

Gimmicks:
This is related both to greed and pressure. All sorts of gimmicks are used to get people to give: “For your donation, I’ll send you my latest book.” I get fund-raising phone calls, where I’m told I can charge it on my Visa! I’ve been told that if I will give, the names of my loved ones will be entered in a special book to be placed in the lobby of the new building! Or, the worst is, “We’ll send you a special prayer cloth, blessed by brother so-and-so.”

These are all worldly gimmicks, opposed to biblical giving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Giving money to a false teacher is a waste of money.
No spirit filled Christian would do such a thing.

We need to be responsible where our tithes and offerings are going.
I myself have refused to give to a guy who was a false prophet.
Does that make me a cursed person? No.

--------------------------

I think Frank did the right thing:

Posted by Frank:
Quote: One visiting preacher wanted a $39 offering. One dollar for every stripe Jesus took so that a surgeon's knife would never touch your body.

End Quote.

-----------------------------

Gimmicks:
This is related both to greed and pressure. All sorts of gimmicks are used to get people to give: “For your donation, I’ll send you my latest book.” I get fund-raising phone calls, where I’m told I can charge it on my Visa! I’ve been told that if I will give, the names of my loved ones will be entered in a special book to be placed in the lobby of the new building! Or, the worst is, “We’ll send you a special prayer cloth, blessed by brother so-and-so.”

These are all worldly gimmicks, opposed to biblical giving.

What made him false aside from the 39 stripe part? There is nothing wrong with asking for an offering. I don't believe in gimmicks either, But all he did was ask for an offering and suggested he would pray for a health need. He shouldn't place a limit on giving nor should he sell a prayer. I agree. Is that what makes him a charlitan? I want to know what he preached and if he was false, why sit there and listen? If he's false, get out! Simple!

But I don't agree with God robbing nor bragging about it after you did it.