Are We Required to Tithe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anybody here quote NT scripture on "tithing" in one single epistle? Other than referred to in Luke 11:42 and Matthew 23:23 , where Jesus is calling the Pharisees hypocrites as they were beating their chests and bragging on their tithing...and tithing was about dill, cumin spices and such, btw.
Jesus said they were ignoring the "weightier matters of the Law" (as they, in rejecting His grace, were still under the Law) such as mercy, justice...now, Christians are supposed to be dead to the Law Galatians 2:19 "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God". Christ is the end of the Law - Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
NT says to give from the heart: Matthew 6:21 , 2 Corinthians 9:7 and cheerfully "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7. Just sayin :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Charity, a word that can be used for!...
"Charity" in Scripture is Christian love, or more precisely Divine love (agape). It can be expressed in many ways, including charitable giving. But Paul calls Christian giving "a grace", which means that it is a product of the Holy Spirit working within the believer. Therefore it is "liberality", the opposite of stinginess or miserliness.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Can anybody here quote NT scripture on "tithing" in one single epistle? Other than referred to in Luke 11:42 and Matthew 23:23 , where Jesus is calling the Pharisees hypocrites as they were beating their chests and bragging on their tithing...and tithing was about dill, cumin spices and such, btw.
Jesus said they were ignoring the "weightier matters of the Law" (as they, in rejecting His grace, were still under the Law) such as mercy, justice...now, Christians are supposed to be dead to the Law Galatians 2:19 "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God". Christ is the end of the Law - Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
NT says to give from the heart: Matthew 6:21 , 2 Corinthians 9:7 and cheerfully "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7. Just sayin :)
Mathew 6:3-5
3“But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

5“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Reactions: Nancy

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i thought i remembered it being more direct.

As we can see here, Paul is doing another syntax thing in this passage where what we are reading is not what he is really saying imo; here he is rebutting an accusation that he is taking advantage of his office, right, and he is stating that while he has the right to do what he was being accused of anyway, he actually was doing exactly the opposite, iow providing a template for true pastors of the Gospel imo, as one cannot preach the Gospel if they are worried about offending tithers
If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it too much if we reap material things from you? I've been taking this verse completely out of context. A syntax thing...thanks!

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen.
Good word.

..Thumb.gif

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any preacher that teaches that anything on the list above (#116) is truth for today's Gentile church is a false teacher and doesn't deserve a nickel from anyone.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May the Lord help me never to come to this site again.

May the Lord keep you here, this forum need's people of experience, You ever heard the question? A teacher ask's a group of people, Has anyone here ever had anything go wrong in your life, so by a show of hand's, a few raise their hand's, and then the Teacher say's, for those that didn't raise your hand, YOU JUST HAVEN"T LIVE LONG ENOUGH !!!
Life experience, along with Faith has a great value, to those that haven't lived long enough! Be Blessed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Any preacher that teaches that anything on the list above (#116) is truth for today's Gentile church is a false teacher and doesn't deserve a nickel from anyone.
Leaving aside the idea of a nickel to anyone, your list in post #116 is mostly PURE BALONEY. You have manufactured your own theology.

Reactions: Truth

Kristen Davis

Jul 27, 2018
Alpharetta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing was an integral part of the Old Covenant and the Levitical priesthood. Since that does not exist any more, Christian giving has replaced tithing, and would in fact be far more than tithing. There are several passages which give us this teaching.

Exodus and Leviticus help explain this

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Tithing was an integral part of the Old Covenant and the Levitical priesthood. Since that does not exist any more, Christian giving has replaced tithing, and would in fact be far more than tithing. There are several passages which give us this teaching.

Agree....Giving is a heart thing ❤️
...it ALL comes under the royal law..Love God , love neighbour....

Everything is a test of our heart... and will be at the end.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes but the English word for love is or can mean anything, love of money ? love of want, love of foolish desires etc sadly and that's a big problem nowadays that the word Love can be bastardised so easy.
Like nowadays I hear many fools claim love is love, wrong ! two wrongs do not make a right.

True Love is Charity of the soul.
But as I said before that it does not mean money as claimed by someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Can anybody here quote NT scripture on "tithing" in one single epistle?

No one can unless they want to twist scripture to mean what it doesn't mean.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No one can unless they want to twist scripture to mean what it doesn't mean.
Yes, there is nothing in the epistles...just some reference to it in Matt. and Luke-Gospels -and that is not at all speaking to Christians. Actually giving above and beyond if we are so blessed that way. I wish Churches would change their wording of "Tithing" to "offering". Tithing does not work anyway as law based religion sucks the Life out of us. If we are free to give what our hearts will, offering of our money, time, talents, gifts. So, there is more to just offering money needed to further God's Kingdom. If someone tells me to do something, I want to say NO. But, if God is working in our hearts-and He sure is in mine, I find now that I LOVE to give which, is the opposite of what I was. Praise Our AWESOME God!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well if we wish to get really technical, there is a complete passage on tithing in the NT (but not necessarily for Christians to be tithing).

HEBREWS 7
1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; [TITHE] first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.[TITHE]

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: [NOTICE: "ACCORDING TO THE LAW"]
6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since Christians are not under the Old Covenant, the New Testament principles of Christian giving are different.

2 CORINTHIANS 8 -- CHRISTIAN LIBERALITY
1 Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia; [CHRISTIAN GIVING = A GRACE]

2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. [CHRISTIAN GIVING = LIBERALITY]

3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves; [CHRISTIAN GIVING = EXCEPTIONAL LIBERALITY]

4 Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.
[CHRISTIAN GIVING = A GIFT TO SHOW FELLOWSHIP TO OTHER SAINTS]

5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.[CHRISTIAN GIVING = FIRSTLY A LIVING SACRIFICE OF SELF TO GOD]

6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.[CHRISTIAN GIVING = A GRACE]

7 Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also. [CHRISTIAN GIVING = A GRACE]

8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love. [CHRISTIAN GIVING = AGAPE LOVE IN ACTION]

9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich. [CHRIST IS THE EXAMPLE OF TRUE GIVING]

10 And herein I give my advice: for this is expedient for you, who have begun before, not only to do, but also to be forward a year ago.

11 Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to will, so there may be a performance also out of that which ye have. [CHRISTIAN GIVING = AGAPE LOVE IN ACTION]

12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. [CHRISTIAN GIVING = USING ONE'S OWN RESOURCES]

13 For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: [CHRISTIAN GIVING = NOT A BURDEN]

14 But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:[CHRISTIAN GIVING = USING ONE'S BLESSINGS]

CHRISTIAN GIVING MUST BE HANDLED RESPONSIBLY
15 As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.
16 But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you.
17 For indeed he accepted the exhortation; but being more forward, of his own accord he went unto you.
18 And we have sent with him the brother, whose praise is in the gospel throughout all the churches;
19 And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:
20 Avoiding this, that no man should blame us in this abundance which is administered by us:
21 Providing for honest things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men.
22 And we have sent with them our brother, whom we have oftentimes proved diligent in many things, but now much more diligent, upon the great confidence which I have in you.
23 Whether any do enquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be enquired of, they are the messengers of the churches, and the glory of Christ.
24 Wherefore shew ye to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love, and of our boasting on your behalf.[CHRISTIAN GIVING = PROOF OF LOVE]

Reactions: GodsGrace

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I looked for fellowship here and a chance to share with others. I find that Christian Forums are as much a trap as denominational churches.
yea, though i walk through the valley of death...

posting for the commendations of men, Frank? Your ignore button broke or something?

:eek:

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That translation is from the NIV.

I believe in giving to those who are preaching truth, also. The problem is that, after you get saved, you will hear very little truth from any mainstream denominational preacher. The following list is what they basically preach, none of which applies directly TO any Gentile living during the past 1900 years. Nowhere in the Bible will you find anything on the list applying to today's Gentiles. Those Gentiles during Acts were totally different, since they were all part of Israel, being grafted into Israel. Also, all of the blessings the Acts Gentiles had, belonged to Israel, who were sharing them. The Gentiles had no blessings of their own. In today's dispensation of the Mystery, all of the fantastic blessings we have are 100% our own, and Israel plays no part AT ALL.

All of these things are for past all-Israel dispensations. The doctrine for us Gentiles today is found in one place, and one place only, Paul's 7 after-Acts epistles - Eph, Phil, Col, 1&2Tim, Titus, and Philemon. Although the other 59, 100% ISRAEL books are necessary for our learning, there is NOTHING in them that is directly TO us or ABOUT us. And there is nothing in those 59 books that says that anyone would ever go to Heaven. The only people that will ever go to Heaven, according to the Bible, are those members of the brand-new Church Which is Christ's Actual Body, Where Christ is the Head, found ONLY in Paul's post-Acts books.

Just remember that,"Many are called, but few are chosen". All of us are Called to this Church in the Uncreated Highest Heaven, where Christ now sits at the right hand of God. To be Chosen, though, you must see it, believe it, and claim it. The only way that will happen is if God gives you the eyes of understanding to see the Hope of your Calling (Eph 1:16-18). I can't see God doing this if most all your beliefs revolve around things that are ISRAEL-ONLY. These are things you'll never get, because none of these things were ever intended for Gentiles. When they were originally given, they were given ONLY to Israel and the Gentiles had NO part in them. If they weren't given to Gentiles then, what makes Gentiles think they can claim them today? Especially when there is no scripture that says that anything on this list was ever given to us Gentiles today.

1- The Lord's Prayer applies to us today.
2- Saved Gentiles today will participate in the earthly Kingdom of Heaven
3- The Gospel taught by Jesus Christ takes precedent over everything else.
4- The Great Commission is the marching order for the Church today
5- The present day Church started with Christ's earthly ministry
6- The present day Church started at Pentecost, in Acts 2
7- True Israel is the Church
8- Israel are still God's chosen people, during this 2000 year period we're now in.
9- The Kingdom of Heaven is the hope of the Church.
10- The New Covenant is in effect for the Church today
11- The Sermon on the Mount applies to us today
12- The Church has replaced Israel
13- Water Baptism applies to us today.
14- The Gifts of the Spirit, as given in Acts 2, are still applicable today.
15- Today's Gentile Church will be taken up in the rapture.
16- Abraham is the Father of all saints
17- We saved Gentiles are grafted into Israel, the good olive tree.
18 -The rapture is the same as the Appearing in Titus 2:13
19- Our future home is the New Jerusalem
20- The purpose during Acts was to start the church.
21- The Law is for us Gentiles today
22- The Lord's Supper applies to today's Gentile Church

Thank you for this @Ac28. Very helpful.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: GodsGrace