Better spirituality...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm seeing a lot of threads against marriage, baptism, the sacrament, which are all ordinances instituted by Jesus for our good. I'm finding it affecting my spirituality in a negative way. So I'm looking for areas in CB that do not draw people away from God, like the prayer forum, this forum, and fellowship, is there any other ideas? Thanks. I'm getting bored and all there is is heretic threads.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm seeing a lot of threads against marriage, baptism, the sacrament, which are all ordinances instituted by Jesus for our good. I'm finding it affecting my spirituality in a negative way. So I'm looking for areas in CB that do not draw people away from God, like the prayer forum, this forum, and fellowship, is there any other ideas? Thanks. I'm getting bored and all there is is heretic threads.
Hi Devin,

Marraige, Baptism, Communion, let's say we're all on the same page there, and are following God's will for us in those respects. I suppose you could say, leaving these, let's go on to maturity.

The Spiritual life - what does it look like, and how do I get from here to there?

Sound like a better conversation? If so, I'm your huckleberry!

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin,

Marraige, Baptism, Communion, let's say we're all on the same page there, and are following God's will for us in those respects. I suppose you could say, leaving these, let's go on to maturity.

The Spiritual life - what does it look like, and how do I get from here to there?

Sound like a better conversation? If so, I'm your huckleberry!

Much love!
Sure, I've found daily Mass to be inspiring for me spiritually, and service to God (but unfortunately not much in the form of service is available to me right now). What are your ideas?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, I've found daily Mass to be inspiring for me spiritually, and service to God (but unfortunately not much in the form of service is available to me right now). What are your ideas?
I find a good daily routine to be extremely helpful! My wife and I share a Bible reading and prayer together everyday before I go to work. For me, I need to keep my mind focused on God. To that end, I don't listen to radio or watch TV (except our recorded media), with the exception of Family Radio. Not saying that's important for others, but it is for me.

There was something that happened a while back that really gave me a different approach of what "service to God" means.

I was home one night doing dishes, that is, rinsing and loading the dishwasher. My back was hurting, and I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to finish, and I prayed that I could do this in the strength of the Spirit. Now, I said, rinsing and loading. My wife had long wished that I'd actually brush off the dishes first, but I only did that some of the time. After that prayer, and without a thought, I picked up the dish brush and started using it.

That had nothing to do with what I had prayed. But the outworking was immediate, and without any thought on my part. Not only had God given me the strength to continue, but also to "do it right", that is, pleasing to my wife. She wasn't even there at the time.

It really left an impression on me that this was clearly a Spirit-filled service, a supernatural work, and it was just washing the dishes. So I'm realizing that our "spiritual service of worship" can mean really anything we do, if we are seeking to do it out of our believing this is what God wants, and that we are not making it our personal conquest, rather, to use even the most mundane daily tasks to show God's love through our lives as we look to Him for every last little thing.

All that being said . . . I do miss all the things I was doing pre-pandemic!

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find a good daily routine to be extremely helpful! My wife and I share a Bible reading and prayer together everyday before I go to work. For me, I need to keep my mind focused on God. To that end, I don't listen to radio or watch TV (except our recorded media), with the exception of Family Radio. Not saying that's important for others, but it is for me.

There was something that happened a while back that really gave me a different approach of what "service to God" means.

I was home one night doing dishes, that is, rinsing and loading the dishwasher. My back was hurting, and I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to finish, and I prayed that I could do this in the strength of the Spirit. Now, I said, rinsing and loading. My wife had long wished that I'd actually brush off the dishes first, but I only did that some of the time. After that prayer, and without a thought, I picked up the dish brush and started using it.

That had nothing to do with what I had prayed. But the outworking was immediate, and without any thought on my part. Not only had God given me the strength to continue, but also to "do it right", that is, pleasing to my wife. She wasn't even there at the time.

It really left an impression on me that this was clearly a Spirit-filled service, a supernatural work, and it was just washing the dishes. So I'm realizing that our "spiritual service of worship" can mean really anything we do, if we are seeking to do it out of our believing this is what God wants, and that we are not making it our personal conquest, rather, to use even the most mundane daily tasks to show God's love through our lives as we look to Him for every last little thing.

All that being said . . . I do miss all the things I was doing pre-pandemic!

Much love!

Thanks, you seem to understand things pretty well.

Well I had something happen to me that God, in a round about way, showed me how to fix terrible back problems I had been having for months. And it worked. So I understand the need for God in all things, and I had been to doctors for months and no one could figure out what was wrong, they just kept sending me to the physical therapist which wasn't helping.

I watch internet movies all day as I work, but that's just temporary for now. And I'm careful what I watch. And now that I'm doing better I'm hoping to return to a normal work day.

I find the daily Mass on Catholic TV to take the place of daily scripture as they have that for me. But it really helps I agree.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I had something happen to me that God, in a round about way, showed me how to fix terrible back problems I had been having for months. And it worked. So I understand the need for God in all things, and I had been to doctors for months and no one could figure out what was wrong, they just kept sending me to the physical therapist which wasn't helping.
That's another thing too . . . learning about how God interacts with me on all sorts of things.

The more I understand God's care for me in all areas of my life, the more that He takes the position of "primary relationship" in my life.

For me, that seems to be the heart of living a truly spiritual life, is to not be as concerned about my life, but to be mostly just focused on staying in a conscious communion with God.

One thing I love about a good Christian forum is the opportunity to remind myself, Jesus is here with me, sharing my life with me, as I'm writing to you, and He is with you. And if I'm walking in the Spirit, and you are walking in the Spirit, Jesus is filling both of our posts with gracious words that build us both up.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing I love about a good Christian forum is the opportunity to remind myself, Jesus is here with me, sharing my life with me, as I'm writing to you, and He is with you. And if I'm walking in the Spirit, and you are walking in the Spirit, Jesus is filling both of our posts with gracious words that build us both up.

Yes that's what I'm looking for is places on CB that aren't leading people away from Gods ways, but instead spirit filled. There are a few sections devoted for that purpose. Cheers.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, that'll happen sometimes. :)

It's been worse here at times actually. But you are always better off on the forums if you let the Spirit guide you in general.

I drift. I gravitate more towards discussion of actual scripture passages now. The rest is just opinion and fluff. On the upside, at least most of the threads are on theological subject matter here. Go to someplace like CF and you'll usually see a mountain of frivolous drivel.

Last edited: