Bible Study - 'The Second Coming of Christ'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert, I do not believe Jesus is misleading at all, and he was speaking the truth about the Kingdom of God being with-in a person.

Perhaps due to your disbelief of what Jesus Christ has said, you haven't experienced the truth oft he Kingdom of God actually being with-in you - your heart - being spiritually born again from above - being part of the heavenly Jerusalem and which the Spiritual Kingdom on High, that will never stop increasing.

In Luke 17: 20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’because the kingdom of God is in your midst.'

The word midst - in the greek 1787, entos,

The usage of entos is within, among, inside, the inside.

Jesus was explaining how that Kingdom of God would not be something people are able to physically be apart of, however from with-in them those who were believers (inside the souls of believers), they would have hope in knowing that they are a part of the Spiritual kingdom.

Jesus is speaking the truth, he is not lying.

That doesn't seem to say that in the text sir, where did you get that answer from?

How could unbelievers have the kingdom of God with-in them? They are spiritually dead, not yet born from above as talked about in John 3. (The Pharisees and Scribes rejected Jesus, envied him and desired to kill him.)

Okay, thank you for taking time to share what you believe. I will share with you too, however do not accept my word for it, may God guide you.

The Kingdom is a government sir. It has already been established in heaven, and soon will make drastic changes to the earth. Not all understand it, but it is heavily involved in the theme of the Bible. The good news of that Kingdom being preached to the ends of the earth, was the primary reason Jesus came Luke 4:43. If you do not research what it is, it is impossible to seek it first in your life, a requirement for Christians sir Mat 6:33

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s alright that we differ @Robert Gwin . Maybe you are right and I am wrong. There is one essential thing that can be agreed upon however that is that God sent the Word that became flesh, lived a perfect life, died on the cross for the sins of all the people in the world, and the Father of Jesus rose him up again from the dead. And anyone who believes on Him are able to have access to the Father as adopted children by and through faith which pleases God/Yahweh/Jehovah. For without faith it is impossible to please him.

Love to you and all.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Tim 2

[7] Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
[8] Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
[9] Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
[10] Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
[11] It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
[12] If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
[13] If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
[14] Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
[16] But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
[17] And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
[18] Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
[19] Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
[20] But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
[21] If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
[22] Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
[23] But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
[24] And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
[25] In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
[26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a very interesting quotation, @Taken
That was a letter written specifically to Timothy.

See here that it is not a falsehood;

• 2 Timothy
  • 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
  • 2 To Timothy, my dear son:
  • Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
So in Timothy’s day in age there were people who were making a mockery of God and they had said the resurrection had already passed, most scholars agree that this letter was written around the time of 64-65 AD.

Before the Lord had come and returned in 70Ad to bring come back and take his bride (the first fruit believers in Christ), and also bring forth judgment and wrath upon the nation of Israel. And all that commenced with it such as those who were in hell were dumped out and judged and all of that other stuff.

Today people say when a person died they are resurrected is it not true?

Though some people also say, people sleep in their graves and they will come out upon the Lords return.

Maybe you are right by quoting that scripture, and maybe I am wrong about my estimation, however it really is up to the individual to decide how they are gonna see these things and how they all come out to play and may all be encouraged to do their own studying.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More and a greater proof that men's doctrine of Full Preterism is garbage, is how Apostle Peter proclaimed man's works would be burned off this earth on the "day of the Lord" that will come "as a thief in the night" (2 Peter 3:10). That means if Full Preterism were true, then man's works should have been burned off this earth back in the days of Christ's Apostles!

It thus amazes me how some people get wrapped up into religious movements (like Preterism) because of not staying with the actual written Scripture and its context. Pulling a verse out here, and a verse there, is an assured path to deception.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s alright that we differ @Robert Gwin . Maybe you are right and I am wrong. There is one essential thing that can be agreed upon however that is that God sent the Word that became flesh, lived a perfect life, died on the cross for the sins of all the people in the world, and the Father of Jesus rose him up again from the dead. And anyone who believes on Him are able to have access to the Father as adopted children by and through faith which pleases God/Yahweh/Jehovah. For without faith it is impossible to please him.

Love to you and all.

You definitely have a great humble attitude Matt. I definitely agree with most of that for sure. It is really an unimportant issue as the instrument of Jesus' death is not important, but many have idolized it, so I use the original term when I speak of the instrument of Jesus' death, a stauros. and I would have stopped right after access to the Father, because they will not become as adopted children until at the very least they make their dedication.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When was the Second Coming Imminent?

A. The coming of Jesus was imminent in the days of the Apostles. An event that was imminent 2,000 years ago cannot still be imminent today.

B. Our God is not a decider and He has not been purposely misleading HIs people for 2,000 years regarding His imminent coming.

C. The imminent return of Jesus was not always taught by the apostles.

D. The Apostles began to teach the imminent coming of Jesus only when His return was actually imminent. Their imminence message intensified as His coming drew nearer.

E. The only time in history when the Second Coming of the Lord has been imminent was in those final years just prior to AD 70. This is the only period of time in which the Bible says that Jesus coming was near. No Scriptures support the teaching that Jesus' coming is imminent today. NOT ANY!

Source:
https://www.amazon.com/Christianitys-Great-Dilemma-Jesus-Coming/dp/1453873740

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When and what was the Judgement?

A. The Judgement was the wrath of God unleashed on the nation of Judah and the Jewish people for centuries of sin and wickedness. They had kill HIs prophets, and persecuted and killed His servants, and they rejected and crucified His Son. The Nations's utter destruction by the Romans in AD 70 was the Judgement.

B. The arrival of John the Baptist signaled the nearness of the Judgement, the great and terrible Day of the Lord.

C. The coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost likewise signaled the approaching Judgement Day.

D. The Judge was standing at the door, ready to judge.

E. It was time for Judgement to begin.

F. Bible reference to the events listed below all refer to the Judgement of God on the lan and on the people of Judea in the first century:

1. The End of the World (Age)
  2. The tares being gathered and burned
  3. The wicked being cast into the furnace of fire
  4. A time of weeping and gnashing of teeth
  5. Heaven and Earth passing away
  6. The king destroying the murderers, and burning their city
  7. Heaven and Earth being burned up, the element melting (The heaven and earth the Jews understood)
  8. The damnation of hell (Gehenna)
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Christianitys-Great-Dilemma-Jesus-Coming/dp/1453873740