Books Outside the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kristen Davis

Jul 27, 2018
Alpharetta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The b
So I have heard about the Book of Enoch, the Book of Wisdom, and Book of Macabees. They are from the Apocrypha right?

Do those who read this see it as "God breathed?" Like the Bible. Or.does it just provide more wisdom and insight. Do these books add or take away anything from what is in the Bible or just considered different books?

I am leery to read anything apart from the Bible, because I don't want to be lead astray. But where do these books come from if not divinely inspired?

I have read and studied about Bible Canon. But those books that were not included in the Bible, I am just curious if they are worth reading and for what purpose. Is it just for history and inspiration? Or are there different theologies the Bible doesn't speak of that can confuse. If not for my church family, I probably would have completely dug further into the Book of Mormon. But this is why I am cautious to read anything that isn't God's Word now.

I am just curious of yalls thoughts.
The book of Enoch as reiterated in Hebrews discusses how God lifted Enoch up into the heavens without dying. This means that God only sends to heaven his chosen people and you must be ready when he comes. I also recommend that you read Matthew that discusses how Jesus's death helped the 12 apostles inspire others to follow Jesus's word in his passing.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The b

The book of Enoch as reiterated in Hebrews discusses how God lifted Enoch up into the heavens without dying. This means that God only sends to heaven his chosen people and you must be ready when he comes. I also recommend that you read Matthew that discusses how Jesus's death helped the 12 apostles inspire others to follow Jesus's word in his passing.

Ive read Matthew unless you mean one outside of the Bible.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The b

Amen. By faith Enoch was translated...just as we by faith are also translated to walk in the Spirit. If we live in a way that is pleasing to God...He takes us into the Spirit.

Col. 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas (dec.25) is not Yahushua's birthday. He was born sometime in Sept. This is where my studies have taken me.. the church used this to pull pagans in, and unfortunately we were led thru generations to believe it. The church has alot to answer for, and I Pray we all see through their deceptions.
This is the heart of Protestantism - total individual confusion.
"I think"
"MY studies say this . . ."
"It seems to ME"

YOU don't have the first CLUE as to when Jesus was born.
If you did your homework on Church history and read the Early Church Fathers - you would know that December 25th wasn't just pulled out of thin air - and it has NOTHING to do with paganism. The pagan feast of Sol Invictus ends on December 23rd.

Do some REAL research . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I have heard about the Book of Enoch, the Book of Wisdom, and Book of Macabees. They are from the Apocrypha right?

Do those who read this see it as "God breathed?" Like the Bible. Or.does it just provide more wisdom and insight. Do these books add or take away anything from what is in the Bible or just considered different books?

I am leery to read anything apart from the Bible, because I don't want to be lead astray. But where do these books come from if not divinely inspired?

I have read and studied about Bible Canon. But those books that were not included in the Bible, I am just curious if they are worth reading and for what purpose. Is it just for history and inspiration? Or are there different theologies the Bible doesn't speak of that can confuse. If not for my church family, I probably would have completely dug further into the Book of Mormon. But this is why I am cautious to read anything that isn't God's Word now.

And I am curious about WHO told you that these Books were not canonical??
Where did you hear that??

Reactions: Marymog

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christmas (dec.25) is not Yahushua's birthday. He was born sometime in Sept. This is where my studies have taken me.. the church used this to pull pagans in, and unfortunately we were led thru generations to believe it. The church has alot to answer for, and I Pray we all see through their deceptions.

Well Said! This year the date of Our Savior's Birth was Sept 25th on the Pagan Calendar, but Tishri 14th at sundown on God's Calendar, He was Born on the First High Sabbath of the Feast of Tabernacle's, also known as the Feast of Booth's. The name of Our Savior is the same as Moses sidekick Joshua, and His name was pronounced Yahushua, the is no j in Hebrew, even to this day, in some of the European country's they still pronounce the J as a Y, Jorganson = Yorganson ! Yes the Church, But it began with a Roman Emperor, Constantine!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am curious about WHO told you that these Books were not canonical??
Where did you hear that??

Interesting question....I haven't studied Canon in forever, but I learned how the Bible was put together in a campus ministry back in 2006. This is one of the articles on it:

http://www.campuschristians.info/reading-library/how-did-we-get-the-bible/

I have heard about canon by other people, but this is where I learned why I can trust the Bible as a reliable source. Are you saying you believe other books are canonical as well? Do you believe them to be God-breathed and without error, like the Bible?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was skimming through that article again and it had some interesting information on the Apocrypha and things as to why they are not part of Canon. Like I said, it has been forever since I have studied this, and have never read any Bible like books besides the Bible and one other. I read like the first 10 chapters of the Book of Enoch today though and found it pretty fascinating.

I am no Theologian. I base what I know from the Bible and stand on that Truth. I don't need nothing else other then the Word of God to help me be successful in this life and grow closer to God.

I ain't a history buff either. I just want to grow in Christ and walk in the Spirit. If other books will help me, so be it. But Ill never see any other book as beneficial as God's Holy Word. This is what will be the lamp unto my feet and the light unto my path.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same time I want to be careful not to be reading sources that can.confuse my understanding of God's Word. I will pray carefully of anything I decide to check out.

I wonder what guidelines I should make. It would all be to understand what is written in the Bible better.
I point again to always listening to the Holy Ghost.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got to start following my gut. I am steering clear of these type of books. Bible has never steered me wrong.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The word of God down through the ages has been under His providence alone. Men will tell you otherwise. But at any given time in history (His story) it would be wise to heed the limits God set in the garden: “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but..."

Stick with the Bible. It is the Word, which is the tree of Life.

Reactions: LC627 and Mayflower

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I think"
"It seems to ME"

If you did your homework on Church history and read the Early Church Fathers - you would know that December 25th wasn't just pulled out of thin air - and it has NOTHING to do with paganism. The pagan feast of Sol Invictus ends on December 23rd.

Quite judgemental for a mortal.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"I think"
"It seems to ME"

BOL , it's not like you to be rude to new members such as @Acolyte
I think that you got out of the wrong side of the bed today. :(

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"I think"
"It seems to ME"

nice to see you finally admitting the RCC to Sol worship BoD, ty
Sept is prolly right on, not that we should be seeking out Jesus' birthday anyway,
imo that is a big clue right there, looking for the literal, etc
that's your dept, why you don't have Sept nailed yet i can't figure

i won't get a tag for your reply, but you can yell at the air some more if you want to i guess

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting question....I haven't studied Canon in forever, but I learned how the Bible was put together in a campus ministry back in 2006. This is one of the articles on it:

How Did We Get the Bible? | The Sacred Canon

I have heard about canon by other people, but this is where I learned why I can trust the Bible as a reliable source. Are you saying you believe other books are canonical as well? Do you believe them to be God-breathed and without error, like the Bible?
Thank you for your response. Since my friend ByGrace has informed me that I was rude to you – I apologize. I certainly didn’t mean to come off that way.

First of all – the 7 Books that are not included in Protestant Bibles are referred to as the “Deuterocanonical Books” (second canon)NOT part of the “Apocrypha” (hidden). Apocryphal works include the Gospel of Judas, the Apocalypse of Peter, the Gospel of Thomas, etc. The Deuterocanonical Books include Sirach, Baruch, Wisdom, Tobit, Judith, 1 & 2 Maccabees, and portions of Daniel and Esther.
As a matter of fact, there are some 200 or so quotes, references, and allusions on the pages of the New Testament.

Now - your source cites an HUGE error when it states: “The Old Testament canon was completed with the Book of Malachi and closed around the year 425 B.C.”

The OT Canon was NOT closed until AFTER the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. As a matter of fact – the Babylonian Talmud actually QUOTES and refers to Deuterocanonical Books as “Scripture”. The Deuterocanonical Books were part of the OPEN Jewish Canon before and DURING the life of Christ. It wasn’t until AFTER His death, resurrection and Ascension and AFTER the destruction of the Temple that the Jewish Canon was CLOSED.

- The Canon of Scripture was first officially declared in 382 AD at the Council of Rome.
- It was reiterated at the Council of Hippo in 393 AD.
- It was again reiterated at the Council of Carthage in 397 AD.
- In 405 AD, Pope Innocent listed the same books established by the Council of Rome in a letter to Exsuperius, the Bishop of Toulouse.
- At the 2nd Council of Nicaea in 787 AD, The Canon of Scripture was again formally ratified.
- In 1441 at the Council of Florence, this list was once again ratified.
- Finally – at the Council of Trent in 1546 AD – the Canon was officially CLOSED. By then, the Protestant Rebels had done their damage to future Protestant generations.

Unfortunately, the OT Canon of Scripture that you and your Protestant brethren adhere to was decided on by a Jewish rabbinical school LONG after Jesus ascended to the Father – by men who HATED Him . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nice to see you finally admitting the RCC to Sol worship BoD, ty
Sept is prolly right on, not that we should be seeking out Jesus' birthday anyway,
imo that is a big clue right there, looking for the literal, etc
that's your dept, why you don't have Sept nailed yet i can't figure

i won't get a tag for your reply, but you can yell at the air some more if you want to i guess
Are you really this dense??
I thought it was just an act - but now I'm starting to think differently . . .

Ummmmm - go back and R*E*A*D my post. Nowhere did I "admit" that the Catholic Church is into "Sol worship".
If you can't follow the conversation or stay lucid - maybe you should think of a better place to spend your time . . .