born of spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Haruto2024

Jan 15, 2024
Tokyo
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Japan
Please, what does this mean, born of spirit? I think we all have a spirit
at child birth. How you say, born of spirit?

Reactions: Papa Smurf

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To be born of the spirit is the same as being born again. It means that our own spirit is brought to life by the spirit of God - the Holy Spirit. That is how we become Christians. It means that our own sinful nature is taken over by Jesus and our sin is forgiven. Hope this helps @Haruto2024

Reactions: Papa Smurf

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

(John 6:63, NABRE)

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Haruto2024, first off, welcome to CB :)

You are correct, we all have spirits, but many of the passages in the Bible (like the opening passage of John 3) that speak of being born of spirit are actually referring to being born of ~the~ Spirit (IOW, of the Holy Spirit).

As others have already mentioned, our natural/physical birth is not all that is required for us to become Christians, because we also need to be "born again or born from above/quickened/made alive" by God ~spiritually~ (when we first come into this world we are born alive "physically", but not "spiritually"). As the Scriptures tell us (speaking to Christians in this particlar case),

Ephesians 2 (NASB)
1 You were dead in your trespasses and sins,
2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were ~by nature~ children of wrath, even as the rest.
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).

If you take a look at John 3:10, you will see the Lord Jesus gently chiding Nicodemus (who was a Pharisee and was also considered to be "the teacher of Israel" at that time) for not already knowing/understanding what He was talking to him about in the 9 previous verses (about our need for/what it means for us to be quickened by God to spiritual life in Him/born again, for instance, because the best description that we have in the Bible for that is found in the OT .. see below .. this is God Himself speaking to us through the prophet Ezekiel, just FYI).

Ezekiel 36 (NASB)
25 “I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.
26 Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.”

There is more to this, but I think that I'll stop here to see if you have any thoughts and/or questions before I continue.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - here's an additional passage for you to consider about this that shows some of the differences between those who are already born again and saved by God (who are alive "spiritually", as a result .. see v's 12-13 & 15-16 below), and those who are not (those who are still "natural"/unsaved men and women, IOW .. see v14 below).

1 Corinthians 2 (NASB)
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,
13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again @Haruto2024, I apologize for assuming that you are a Christian/not noticing that you are agnostic instead before posting what I did to you above (had I noticed, I would have said most of the same things to you, but I would have said them in a slightly different way that I believe would have been helpful).

So, please don't hesitate to ask me questions about what I wrote to you (as many as you need to) and I'll do my best to answer them (so that there will be no misunderstandings between us :)).

Thanks!!

--Paps Smurf

Reactions: Ziggy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
おはようございます、春斗さん
Good morning, Haruto-san.

Being "born of the spirit" is something that the Spirit of God does to you.

Jesus rather poetically said being "born of God's Spirit" is like the wind: The wind blows where it wants to. You hear the wind, but you do not know where the wind comes from or where the wind is going.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only ribbon of truth on these matters down through all of history--including Japanese history, is recorded in the collection of books known as the modern Christian Bible. As for Japanese history, does not show "to" "women" "a platform" or "garden" as the "beginning?" This is the same story written in the Bible, saying "In the beginning..."

Thus, the "women" first to have sinned against God gave birth to the many races of humanity after God clothed them with a covering and body of flesh. Within that flesh covering is indeed a spirit, but one that has been condemned to death by God because of sin.

Therefore, one must be born again of the original seed of God whom is spirit--but without sin. This is the ministry of Jesus the Christ who came to make such a thing possible, by first paying the price for all sin by His own death, then rising from the dead having conquered death, then to ascend back to God and send the Holy Spirit to those who would receive Him. Wherein a new life is born, not of flesh and blood, but of the spirit of God. One may receive such a new creation and spirit within, either in life or in death; for which Jesus stands at the door within each of us knocking with the offer of new life, for which before ascending back to God, He also descended unto the dead of times past since the beginning.

When Jesus knocks--open the door and let Him in.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A chip off the old block is someone who is in the image of their father by expressing same character traits through doing the same works as them, which is the concept that the Bible is referring to by being a child of son of someone, such as in John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him. So being a child of God refers to being in His image by having the same character traits as Him expressed through obeying His law, and the character traits of God are fruits of the Spirit, so that is what it means to be born of the spirit. This is why those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not born again (1 John 3:4-10) and why Paul contrasted those who are born of the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to God's law (Romans 8:4-14).