Calvinism is a Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting question but I suspect that God wanted to reinforce the idea that He was doing something new--that His Salvation was now available to all humans--not just Israel.

He wanted to make it crystal clear to the apostles how important they were and wanted to empower them to do their work.

He wanted to get the church up and running.

Now remember at Pentecost were Jews, not gentiles.

But of course what happened there quickly have spread through both Jews and Gentiles.

If you look at the history of Israel at the beginning you see some things happen with them. As an example, the Exodus. And the invasion of the promised land.

That spread through all the surrounding countries. Because remember Israel was supposed to be a light to the world, not just Israel.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CoreIssue,

I am noy a Calvinist, but to call it a cult is a BIG call.

Would you please define the criteria that make Calvi ism a cult?

I notice in your post you provided no Scripture to support your claims

Oz

Then go back and read from the beginning of the thread. Plenty of proof was posted.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CoreIssue,

I am noy a Calvinist, but to call it a cult is a BIG call.

Would you please define the criteria that make Calvi ism a cult?

I notice in your post you provided no Scripture to support your claims

Oz
Unfortunately in several threads many have attempted to get him to offer biblical proof. He has yet to do so, and the requests are generally met with insults, claims he's done so already, or avoidance

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now remember at Pentecost were Jews, not gentiles.

That spread through all the surrounding countries. Because remember Israel was supposed to be a light to the world, not just Israel.

Yes, I know--Acts 2: 5 says they were "devout Jews." But they were in the diaspora and devout Jews even today worry about keeping their faith in the diaspora, amidst the Gentiles. Even Jews in Israel had been greatly impacted by the Greek culture and language. (They had become "Hellenized"). So it appears that God was not only calling them back to Himself but also sending them out into a lost world in darkness to reveal just WHO was and IS, The Light of the World.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know--Acts 2: 5 says they were "devout Jews." But they were in the diaspora and devout Jews even today worry about keeping their faith in the diaspora, amidst the Gentiles. Even Jews in Israel had been greatly impacted by the Greek culture and language. (They had become "Hellenized"). So it appears that God was not only calling them back to Himself but also sending them out into a lost world in darkness to reveal just WHO was and IS, The Light of the World.

It is always complicated. Especially in this time of the apostasy.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No--either that person is wrong, I am wrong or we both are wrong (or both right).
How do you know who is right or wrong? If salvation is so important then shouldn't the knowledge of how we are saved be more clear?

Even in the Bible, there were people who had not the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. There is no reason to believe that the merely religious in the Roman Catholic hierarchy were being guided by the Holy Spirit. Some of the Popes were horrible men doing horrible things. The Holy Spirit was given to the Bride as her "helper" in holiness.
Was the Holy Spirit involved with the slavery and genocides ordered by god in the OT? Do you get to decide who has the spirit and who does not?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you know who is right or wrong? If salvation is so important then shouldn't the knowledge of how we are saved be more clear?

That really is a red herring. It is abundantly clear in the Scriptures. What Calvinists and non-Calvinists are arguing about are much more subtle points of theology. We pretty much all agree that salvation and faith come by the agency of God alone and that we can do nothing to earn either one.

Was the Holy Spirit involved with the slavery and genocides ordered by god in the OT?

The people whom He ordered killed were wiped out in order to protect the Israelites from the absolutely horrible people around them. Read Genesis 18 to understand some of how corrupt and deviant the Canaanites were. The Ras Shamra documents (written by their own heathenish hands) have revealed further about these demented, depraved and demon-infested people.

Do you get to decide who has the spirit and who does not?
No, I do not, but that is not my particular concern. Each individual must work that out with God. I WANT people to have the Holy Spirit indwelling them, but it is not my decision at all.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong still. Do you just make up everything you believe? You have no clue what you're talking about above. You should try reading Scripture.
You are correct of course. There were at least 15 different nationalities represented at Pentecost, hence the miracle of speaking in tongues hearing the Gospel in their own language.

To God Be The Glory

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct of course. There were at least 15 different nationalities represented at Pentecost, hence the miracle of speaking in tongues hearing the Gospel in their own language.

To God Be The Glory
I'm perplexed as to why some (@CoreIssue; @Lady Crosstalk @justbyfaith) continue to make posts of untruths while claiming things are in Scripture that are not there. I would say that is the "core issue." Of course, @CoreIssue is possibly the most contributing offender.

Wonder why they don't have integrity with God's word?

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory.[Romans 3:23]

The Bible says that God commanded Saul to kill all Amalikites, even the children and babies.[1 Samuel 15:3]

Moses commanded the Jews to kill all the males that were of the little ones.[Numbers 31:17]

Ppl have zero clue that distain God has for sin.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If salvation is so important then shouldn't the knowledge of how we are saved be more clear?
It is clear as crystal. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. Repent and be converted that your sins may be blotted out.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
That really is a red herring. It is abundantly clear in the Scriptures. What Calvinists and non-Calvinists are arguing about are much more subtle points of theology. We pretty much all agree that salvation and faith come by the agency of God alone and that we can do nothing to earn either one.
Don't you believe that someone has a choice to be saved or not? If so, how is that god alone saving someone?

The people whom He ordered killed were wiped out in order to protect the Israelites from the absolutely horrible people around them. Read Genesis 18 to understand some of how corrupt and deviant the Canaanites were. The Ras Shamra documents (written by their own heathenish hands) have revealed further about these demented, depraved and demon-infested people.
If you are correct, then all children including babies are responsible for their sin and deserve death since it says to kill everyone.

But,

Deuteronomy 20 doesn't say the "Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites" were killed for their sin but so that the Israelites would not learn their ways and sin against god.

"but the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites, as the Lord your God has commanded, that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices that they have done for their gods, and so you sin against the Lord your God." Deut 20:17-18 ESV

God ordered the killing of all these people so that his chosen people would not sin against him in this way. Even though they were going to sin anyway. Why not just tell the Israelite's not to do these things? Well he did in Duet 18 and I guess he did not trust them to not do them. Would this be a reasonable way to stop people from sinning today?

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
It is clear as crystal. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. Repent and be converted that your sins may be blotted out.
You guys don't get it do you. I can go to different Christians and get different answers. This is just one of many that claim to follow the bible and have the holy spirit.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Calvinism, including those on this forum, say that if a baby dies and is not a chosen goes to Hell.

That's because John Calvin basically adopted the theology of Augustine wholesale. In fact, it was called "Calvinistic Augustinianism" when it first started to be popularized. Augustine spent much of his life as a pagan before his conversion. It may have affected his theology but I suspect that Augustine's theology was even more affected by the fact that he did not speak Greek (as the early church fathers did) and that Augustine used an inferior Latin text of the Bible as the source for his theology. The Eastern Orthodox do not accept a number of Augustine's teachings. Among them would be Augustine's notion that Original Sin sent babies to hell. If there was ever a curse of Original Sin on babies, it was removed by the Blood of Christ. Saying that infant baptism would prevent infants and young children from going to hell, was, in my opinion, a sop to the many millions of parents who lost babies and young children during that period. No babies go to hell, baptized or not.

Reactions: Enoch111