Calvinism is a Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Then consider John 7:17, determine to obey the word of God, and be confident that the Lord will reveal Himself to you as the result. That is what I did; and the Lord was quick to make Himself known to me
Not to me. But I have a feeling you will say I just didn't try hard enough.

There are those who indeed do have this attitude. But I think that you might consider them to be arrogant and/or misled.
My point was how can anyone be confident if so many Christians use the bible for truth but have so many different ideas about salvation.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no question that God conceals His affairs from the heathen. But, as His children, we can ask Him to reveal the answers to our questions.
How do you determine which Scripture is for the unsaved and which is for the saved? Does not Scripture tell us God is no respecter of persons?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you determine which Scripture is for the unsaved and which is for the saved? Does not Scripture tell us God is no respecter of persons?

That simply means that God does not change Himself at the request of a human being.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
ALL true Christians believe that we are "saved by grace through faith". There are those who SAY they are Christians but who haven't a clue about the necessity of believing that the Bible is true. But that is only by the Holy Spirit that we are convinced of such things.
Says you. Some believe works are required, some believe you need to be sinless, some believe in lordship salvation, some require baptism etc. and they are all reading the same book you are.

So, what must one do to be saved? It depends on which bible-believing evangelical you ask. Even though they all agree that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, they cannot agree on what it says. As I stated at the beginning, it seems to me that if the Bible were really a divine revelation, it would be clear and unambiguous throughout but at the very least it would be plain on how one is to be saved. - Ken Pulliam

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Says you. Some believe works are required, some believe you need to be sinless, some believe in lordship salvation, some require baptism etc. and they are all reading the same book you are.

No true Christian believes that works are required for the "new birth". People have erroneous interpretation of Scripture all the time, but that doesn't mean that the Bible has errors.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No true Christian believes that works are required for the "new birth". People have erroneous interpretation of Scripture all the time, but that doesn't mean that the Bible has errors.
You are not confronting the problem. My issue is not that the bible may contain errors or that Christians disagree on what scripture days. That will happen.

My issue is that there is no effective way to know what god is saying through scripture. You have your interpretation and you base that on your understanding of the bible, teachings you received, maybe direct revelation etc. You claim others are wrong but the other "false" doctrines are using the same method you use to determine how we are saved. Why are you right and they are wrong if you both use the same method to determine how we are saved.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He did not. And thats what all the people did that led them to a different conclusion on salvation.

Hebrews 11:6---> "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." One of your problems may be that you have never been convinced by the Holy Spirit that you should fear God. The "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". You are not alone. There are a great many on the "wide path" who have no fear of God.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Although Romans does indeed speak of 'the obedience of faith' and 'obedience to the faith' at the end and at the beginning of the Epistle, it is indeed true that salvation is 'not of works, lest any man should boast' (Ephesians 2.9).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hebrews 11:6---> "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." One of your problems may be that you have never been convinced by the Holy Spirit that you should fear God. The "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". You are not alone. There are a great many on the "wide path" who have no fear of God.
I do love that chapter of Hebrews.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are not confronting the problem. My issue is not that the bible may contain errors or that Christians disagree on what scripture days. That will happen.

My issue is that there is no effective way to know what god is saying through scripture. You have your interpretation and you base that on your understanding of the bible, teachings you received, maybe direct revelation etc. You claim others are wrong but the other "false" doctrines are using the same method you use to determine how we are saved. Why are you right and they are wrong if you both use the same method to determine how we are saved.

One of the problems is that the Roman Catholics brought scholasticism into the study of Scripture because many in the hierarchy were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit--who "leads to all truth." Doesn't matter how many years you spend in school, if you don't have the Holy Spirit guiding your understanding, you will miss the truth.

Reactions: farouk and Enoch111

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I assume that this is anyone that disagrees with you on salvation even if they come to a different conclusion based on the same information you have.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
One of the problems is that the Roman Catholics brought scholasticism into the study of Scripture because many in the hierarchy were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit--who "leads to all truth." Doesn't matter how many years you spend in school, if you don't have the Holy Spirit guiding your understanding, you will miss the truth.
So anyone that disagrees with you is not beiong guided by the holy spirit even though they claim to be?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Scholasticism tends to the reading into Scripture of man-approved ideas.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I assume that this is anyone that disagrees with you on salvation even if they come to a different conclusion based on the same information you have.

No, it only applies to those who don't even pretend to be Christians.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So anyone that disagrees with you is not beiong guided by the holy spirit even though they claim to be?

No--either that person is wrong, I am wrong or we both are wrong (or both right).

Even in the Bible, there were people who had not the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. There is no reason to believe that the merely religious in the Roman Catholic hierarchy were being guided by the Holy Spirit. Some of the Popes were horrible men doing horrible things. The Holy Spirit was given to the Bride as her "helper" in holiness.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No--either that person is wrong, I am wrong or we both are wrong (or both right).

Even in the Bible, there were people who had not the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. There is no reason to believe that the merely religious in the Roman Catholic hierarchy were being guided by the Holy Spirit. Some of the Popes were horrible men doing horrible things. The Holy Spirit was given to the Bride as her "helper" in holiness.
It seems that Pentecost was pivotal as regards the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.