CALVINISM: The height of Spiritual depravity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What is the effectual calling/call?​

The term effectual call, as related to salvation, comes from Chapter X of the 1647 Westminster Confession of Faith. The effectual call is understood as God’s sovereign drawing of a sinner to salvation. The effectual call to a sinner so overwhelms his natural inclination to rebel that he willingly places faith in Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul refers to the effectual call when he writes, “It is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose” (Philippians 2:13). The necessity of the effectual call is emphasized in Jesus’ words, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them” (John 6:44).

Paul further affirms that God must impress His will on the natural state of man when he writes that those who oppose God “must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth” (2 Timothy 2:25). The apostle Peter writes that God “called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Peter 1:3). Peter’s use of the Greek word kaleo, which is translated “called,” expresses the action of God calling sinners. Whenever kaleo is used in the participial form, as it is in this passage, with God as the subject, it refers to the effectual call of God on sinners to salvation. Kaleo carries the idea that a sinner is being drawn to God rather than simply invited to come.

The effectual calling is more commonly known as “irresistible grace,” which is the I in the acronym TULIP. The doctrine of effectual calling is closely related to the doctrine of total depravity, the T in TULIP. Since the unregenerate man is “dead in transgressions and sins” (Ephesians 2:1), he is incapable of reaching out to God or responding to the gospel of Jesus Christ on his own. “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God” (Romans 3:10–11). This state of total depravity makes the effectual calling of God necessary to give anyone the opportunity for salvation.

Jesus said, “For many are invited, but few are chosen” (Matthew 22:14). In this statement, Jesus distinguishes between the general call that everyone receives by hearing the gospel and the effectual call that leads to salvation. The effectual call is also taught in passages such as Romans 1:6, where Paul greets the believers as those “who are called to belong to Jesus Christ”; and Acts 16:14, where Luke says of Lydia that “the Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message.” The effectual call, therefore, is God’s action toward the elect, those whom He chose in Christ “before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless. . . . He predestined [them] for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 1:4–5).

The general call, on the other hand, is for all of humanity, not just the elect. The famous passage, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16), portrays God’s general revelation to everyone in the world. The gospel is available to everyone, but, because of humanity’s sinful nature and total depravity, no one will turn to God without God first impressing Himself on them.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God granted to you your believe in Christ and also to also suffer for His sake. Both apostolic teachings are contained here in Philippians and Romans
He did this so that Christ would have brothers, that is why God predestined some people to salvation, and not other people. Not everyone is of the family of God, and the Glorious God gives to Christ His children, otherwise you would not believe in Christ, otherwise, no one would have believed in His Son.

All those God predestined, as in chosen to be in Christ from before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1) , are glorified together with Christ, having salvation as they are of His family. God justifies the elect whom God foreknew before time began, as in those whom God knew He would save as God loved them with a great love, which He did not have towards the others, as Ephesians 2 teaches.

Philippians 1

27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [f]to you of salvation, and that from God.

29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, 30 having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me.

Romans 8

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

God’s Everlasting Love​

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:

“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God's children do have suffering in this world as the rulers and powers of this world's present darkness and God are enemies of each other.
God promises though that his elect end up in glory together with Him and that God will destroy ALL His enemies.

Romans 8:16-18
New King James Version

16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I did call on HIm and placed my faith in the death burial and physical resurrection of Jesus to gain my salvation! that is what everyone who is a believer in Jesus must do.
I have noticed several certain types here telling those who believe in the grace of God which actually brings salvation (doctrine of grace alone by faith alone being a gift by which we are saved, Calvinism type thinking) saying we are not born again and saved. They have said the same things to me. What I worry about for them is they mock and speak evil of the things they do not understand.

Jude 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.

They will of course say the same things about us, but God will judge between us all. It will not be a good day for the ones found guilty of speaking against the things of God. God does not reward such things with good things.

James 3:1

The Untamable Tongue​

My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ronald Nolette

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People come to Christ by hearing and believing the Gospel.

On the day of Pentecost 8,000 Jews came to Christ because they heard and believed Peter's Gospel, Acts 2:41 also Acts4:4.

Paul said, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17.
explain this to the all inclusive sin accepting broad road group . The false love group .
the very group that has infected almost the entire realm of what considers itself to be of Christ
HAS ANTI CHRIST TAKEN CAPTIVE , as well as the false religoins of the world . THERE IS A love , a love that cometh not of God
it is a love we are told to beware of .....................LOVE NOT THE WORLD ETC ..................
WATCH OUT , ITS HOLD IS ALL OVER THE PLACE and grows daily .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of people confess that they love Jesus, but when they are confronted with the historical Gospel of Jesus Christ that is not the Jesus that they love.
Now for this reminder as well .
MANY folks of all religoins , as well as christendom , profess to LOVE GOD
BUT SURE DONT SEEM TO LOVE THE TRUTH , the GOSPEL , the sayings of CHRIST .
INDEED WE GOT Many , oh MANY a deceptoin within not only the world and satans religoins like ISLAM and etc
but ALSO WITHIN CHRISTENDOM ITSELF .
FOR even within christendom many lip the name of JESUS , oh MANY CALL HIM LORD INDEED
but DO NOT THE THINGS HE COMMANDED . WHY DO YOU CALL ME LORD and YET DO NOT .............................
MAny gonna weep my friend . many . and how much worse a punishment awaits
those WHO USED THE NAME OF JESUS and did evil IN HIS NAME and under guise of satans love
LED THE WORLD RIGHT INTO A LIE . A LIE THIS LAMB WONT BUY . YET MANY have .

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now for this reminder as well .
MANY folks of all religoins , as well as christendom , profess to LOVE GOD
BUT SURE DONT SEEM TO LOVE THE TRUTH , the GOSPEL , the sayings of CHRIST .
INDEED WE GOT Many , oh MANY a deceptoin within not only the world and satans religoins like ISLAM and etc
but ALSO WITHIN CHRISTENDOM ITSELF .
FOR even within christendom many lip the name of JESUS , oh MANY CALL HIM LORD INDEED
but DO NOT THE THINGS HE COMMANDED . WHY DO YOU CALL ME LORD and YET DO NOT .............................
MAny gonna weep my friend . many . and how much worse a punishment awaits
those WHO USED THE NAME OF JESUS and did evil IN HIS NAME and under guise of satans love
LED THE WORLD RIGHT INTO A LIE . A LIE THIS LAMB WONT BUY . YET MANY have .
No one will enter heaven that does not have faith in God and his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. All that have faith in God and in his Son Jesus Christ have found it. The rest have not found it, what they have found is the road that leads to destruction which is religion.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't have the slightest idea about how you are saved.
Well I will take Gods Word over the Word of the myopic judge Robert Pate everyday. I know whom I believe in. As if you can peer into a soul by practicing the abominable practice of divination.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off... Jesus Christ is the One Who said this so you are offended at His sayings.

Secondly, if you could read and understand what it is you are reading... you would note that Jesus is not saying all men will be saved... He is simply saying He will "draw" all men unto Himself.

Men have the ability to choose to ignore then Lord and remain lost which is what those that are offended at His says do.
Still doesn't stop you from being a universalist. You need to look up the meaning of the word we translate "draw". (Elko)

I believe all men have the ability to reject Jesus. That is the very nature of every human . We are objects of Gods wrath by our very nature and as Paul also said that mankind in his natural state can do NOTHING that pleases God. Accepting Jesus is something that pleases God so a man in his natural state will automatically reject jesus.

Reactions: Scott Downey

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one will enter heaven that does not have faith in God and his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. All that have faith in God and in his Son Jesus Christ have found it. The rest have not found it, what they have found is the road that leads to destruction which is religion.
yet many within the realm of christendom are halt RIGHT SMACK in the middle between two opinions.
A lot of wailing is coming if they repent not . We must hurl the all inclusive rainbow many path love lie flag OUT OF THEM CHURCHES .
TIME to CHOOSE YE THIS DAY , either all incluisive baal or GOD and HIS CHRIST . BUT IT CANNOT BE BOTH. and that BE A FACT .

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
many are following that which is of anti christ and not CHRIST .
many are lipping a lie that cannot save but only grave .
TIME we remind all , YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST or perish . cause allie akbar , muhammed , budda and etc
and all the so called lovey do and good works , WONT BE SAVING SQUAT . BUT JESUS HE CAN . SO ITS HE WE MUST POINT TOO .

• Love

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
many are following that which is of anti christ and not CHRIST .
many are lipping a lie that cannot save but only grave .
TIME we remind all , YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST or perish . cause allie akbar , muhammed , budda and etc
and all the so called lovey do and good works , WONT BE SAVING SQUAT . BUT JESUS HE CAN . SO ITS HE WE MUST POINT TOO .
Jesus saves and he saves to the uttermost, Hebrews 7:25.

"Behold I show you a mystery; We shall not sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal shall put on immortality. So, when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall it be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory" 1 Corinthians 15:51-54.

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus saves and he saves to the uttermost, Hebrews 7:25.

"Behold I show you a mystery; We shall not sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal shall put on immortality. So, when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall it be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory" 1 Corinthians 15:51-54.
JESUS CHRIST does save and does so to the uttermost .
But another jesus does not save .
For more info we bess get in our bibles and ensure its HE we be a following
and the very pattern for instruction for all things the apostels left us in said letters .
TOO many are following very cunning men who have omitted parts , twisted parts , and done so
to fit their own pre concieved idea of what they think is truth or doctrine . Many wont be making it my dear friend .
Cause they never truly did come to CHRIST , were never truly drawn to Christ
rather they were drawn to the pulpits of men that preached their own versions of who JESUS IS and what JESUS taught .
NOT LOOKING GOOD my friend .
We need be BACK IN THE BIBLE and learning it daily and staying refreshed in that DOCTRINE , being built up .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I will take Gods Word over the Word of the myopic judge Robert Pate everyday. I know whom I believe in. As if you can peer into a soul by practicing the abominable practice of divination.
I have a few very simple questions i want us to know and to ponder upon ..........................while there still be time to do so .
number one . Can satan and his men , USE the name of JESUS CHRIST
to draw men to an image of jesus that really is the dragon himself . YES HE CAN and yes THEY DO .
number two . can satan and his men say GOD is LOVE and yet preach a love that denies GOD , CHRIST .
YES HE can and yes they DO .
Can satan and his men preach another gospel that does say GOD is love
and yet the gospel they preach is a social gospel and NOT THE GOSPLE that does save .
YES HE can and yes THEY DO .
and lastly can satan use any word , say like unity , freedom , liberty etc
under guise its of GOD and its the biblical version
WHEN IT AINT . YES HE CAN and yes they do .
FOR More info , WE better fast track ourselves RIGHT back into the BIBLE AGAIN .
wont take long before folks who do so will realize , OH MY OH ME , satan is running a lot of christendom right now
and many be buying the lie .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a few very simple questions i want us to know and to ponder upon ..........................while there still be time to do so .
number one . Can satan and his men , USE the name of JESUS CHRIST
to draw men to an image of jesus that really is the dragon himself . YES HE CAN and yes THEY DO .
number two . can satan and his men say GOD is LOVE and yet preach a love that denies GOD , CHRIST .
YES HE can and yes they DO .
Can satan and his men preach another gospel that does say GOD is love
and yet the gospel they preach is a social gospel and NOT THE GOSPLE that does save .
YES HE can and yes THEY DO .
and lastly can satan use any word , say like unity , freedom , liberty etc
under guise its of GOD and its the biblical version
WHEN IT AINT . YES HE CAN and yes they do .
FOR More info , WE better fast track ourselves RIGHT back into the BIBLE AGAIN .
wont take long before folks who do so will realize , OH MY OH ME , satan is running a lot of christendom right now
and many be buying the lie .
Just as was prophesied was to happen in these last days and the church age of Laodicea

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as was prophesied was to happen in these last days and the church age of Laodicea
and just as it was prophesied to happen during those times , the true lambs will do exploits
no matter the cost . They gonna point too JESUS CHRIST no matter who it offends
and they will embrace His every word as TRUTH and procliam and exhort by THEM WORDS and not the words of men
that contradict them lovely words . so get ready , cause WE WONT BE LOVED FOR DOING SO .
but If we love them we must correct them .

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is really all that I had in mind; I was not addressing anything relative to the efficacy of the cross. . Traducianism is the belief that our spirits come not from God but through our parents at birth and carry the stigma of our parents fallen condition over to us, thus making us sinners from birth. That is simply not true.
This is an over reaction or a simple misunderstanding of the doctrine. Traducuianism is not the equivalent of Origin Sin. All it really teaches, so far as I can tell, is that each human being is not a new special creation of God but that people fully reproduce by normal sexual means as God designed.

The doctrine of original sin is clearly compatible with this doctrine but they are not the same thing.

Indeed, the issue of our inherited fallen nature is not only the primary reason why Jesus had to be born of a virgin but it was His death and resurrection that corrected the issue for everyone. No one will die because of Adam's sin or for anyone else's sin but their own. (Ezekiel 18)
Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)​
18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.​

So do we inherent Adam's nature? Sure!
Are we condemned because of it? Certainly not!
Why? Because Christ died instead!

But in relation to Jesus, it gets rid of all the falderal of trying to explain why Jesus was not a born sinner like the rest of humanity in the doctrine of traducianism.
Jesus wasn't born a sinner because He had no Earthly father. It was not in Eve that all died, it was in ADAM! It was through the offense of Adam that judgement came to all men, not through Eve!

I Corinthians 15:20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.​

45 And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.​
46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.