Calvinism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, Christ died, but his blood is ineffective so long as I choose to make it so. I have more power in my own salvation than the blood of Christ.

This is what happens when a person doesn't understand the gospel.

The blood/life of Jesus is a gift given so that we can walk as He walked. Just because you don't believe that or you have not experienced that...doesn't mean that others haven't.

Not everyone will be saved. Not everyone will receive praise from God. There are many variables because of US.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if we dont accept the gift, how can we be saved?
If you choose to reject Christ's saving gift, then the result is pretty obvious.
Again, this doesn't give the person any particular power- just like if I give my daughter a gift she can choose to reject it, but that doesn't mean she's "more powerful" than me.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God certainly acts sovereignly at times with some people. But the problem with some people is then they make it a rule to judge others by it. It is all too human.

But God doesn't do the same things with everyone.

For some ..there is the irresistible draw of the Holy Spirit. Weeping for sins that do not even come to mind.

Can the Spirit be irresistible? Yes, at times.....but not always.

With others, God uses other means. He doesn't always do the same things.

Why not?

So that we learn God is alive and not a robot in His technique. But this is lost on some people.

So then the power of the Spirit...the draw is powerful....at certain times...and at other times very subtle, like a still small voice.

For some...they don't need the hammer on the head....they can already be guided by the still small voice. That's the point of it anyway. Which is better....for God to have to basically force us to our knees....or to comply with a gentle touch?

So should we look down on others for being MORE attentive than the ones who need a more forceful approach? (like me)

So then the "more in tune" ones among us are not Calvinist. God needs more powerful draws for the slow witted I guess.

I must be very slow-witted because I should be the most stubborn Calvinist...but I acknowledge that others are not as obtuse as I have been. So I can avoid falling into that man-made trap.

"With others, God uses other means. He doesn't always do the same things."
He is a personal God...I love that ♥

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ took the punishment for all who want to be saved. And let those who do not want to be saved suffer for their sins. “That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” (John 3:15)

“Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, And causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: We shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, Even of thy holy temple.” (Psalm 65:4)

"God "chose" Israel out of all the nations of the earth to be "a special people unto himself" (Deuteronomy 7:6), and gave them a distinct position, and peculiar privileges. And causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts"
I believe this was commanded for Israel to do, at least three times a year...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...at least it is to those who love God. All things work together for their good.

"to those who love God. All things work together for their good."
Yessiree...it can be hard at the time to recognize "the good"...if one will expect and look for His good in all things, good or bad...we will find it.

D

Dave L

"God "chose" Israel out of all the nations of the earth to be "a special people unto himself" (Deuteronomy 7:6), and gave them a distinct position, and peculiar privileges. And causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts"
I believe this was commanded for Israel to do, at least three times a year...
We are Israel, today's Jews/Israel are not. God broke off all the unbelievers from Israel in the first century and grafted us believing gentiles into their place. Only through faith in Christ will any be reattached (Romans 11).

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you believe in a limited atonement?

Do you believe in Universal Atonement (everyone will be saved)? Limited atonement is misleading in its name. There is nothing limited about the power of Jesus' death. What it is stating is that Jesus died for His Sheep, the elect. There is no salvation outside of Jesus, His death secured the salvation of those who the Father draws to Him and believe in His name.

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him...John 6:44. Jesus was pretty clear on that

Reactions: Dave L

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I dont have any more problem with Calvinism than I do with any other school of thought: I agree with some of it and disagree with other parts.

One giant problem I have is that Calvin himself didn't teach many of its doctrines... At least not than I am aware of.

Calvin wrote alot! Dozens of books and thousands of chapters. 3 of them were on predestination. Yet... That's the tag he gets.

I agree with predestination, but its rather useless to know that God predestinates some. We still gotta run the race and remain faithful. Many fall by the wayside.

Amen...Good post...agree.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed it is! And, it is GOOD NEWS TO ALL!

"The gospel is not salvation for everyone but salvation for those who believe, for everyone else it's a death sentence."
- Paul Washer

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you believe in Universal Atonement (everyone will be saved)? Limited atonement is misleading in its name. There is nothing limited about the power of Jesus' death. What it is stating is that Jesus died for His Sheep, the elect. There is no salvation outside of Jesus, His death secured the salvation of those who the Father draws to Him and believe in His name.

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him...John 6:44. Jesus was pretty clear on that

Clearly error. Why doesn't it say....God so loved the church (or elect) that He gave His Son?????

You are still diminishing and boxing in God. I guess you just can't help yourself.

God is merciful...and He will have mercy on people you would never dream of having mercy on. As you will find out.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1.) If Christ's Sacrifice was for all men, then why are all men not saved? If our wills are free, and not at all swayed by our natures, then why are all men not saved? Did Christ fail in His work of redemption
2.) If Bob accepts a gift that others reject, that puts Bob in a position of superiority; Bob was much smarter than Jonny or Sue. But the real question then is this; Why dont all free willed people see how gracious of a gift it is and take it? It is apparently a free ticket to heaven, and since we are all free and are not at all swayed by anything in our nature, why dont all men choose correctly? What stops some from choosing the blatantly correct choice?

Amen

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly error. Why doesn't it say....God so loved the church (or elect) that He gave His Son?????

You are still diminishing and boxing in God. I guess you just can't help yourself.

God is merciful...and He will have mercy on people you would never dream of having mercy on. As you will find out.

You know, you keep telling me that I am judging when I am simply stating what I believe, but it really seems like you are the one who is judging...

Yes, God is merciful, to whoever He chooses to be

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You know, you keep telling me that I am judging when I am simply stating what I believe, but it really seems like you are the one who is judging...

Yes, God is merciful, to whoever He chooses to be

So then many non-Christians will indeed be saved...through God's mercy based on the finished work of Christ.

See...it has nothing to do with works or beliefs. It is ALL God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So every single soul will be saved in the end? How can that be?! Wouldn't that be against their free will :eek:

Don't confuse issues. It doesn't say...God will have mercy on everybody...but you won't like God's ways. He saves non-Christians too.

Religious snits ensue.