Can angels repent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Probably not.

By angels, I mean beings that exist in the spirit realm, including Satan.

Humans cannot directly observe the spirit existence of God. We do have the ability to choose to repent and be redeemed by Christ.

Angels can directly observe the spiritual existence of God. They can see that God exists. Yet, they choose to rebel against God.

Jesus says in Matthew 11:

23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.
Angels who see the realities of God and still rebel have no excuse. The Bible does not describe any redemptive plan for such beings. They seem to be incapable of repenting.

Jude 1:

6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.
If an angel falls, he is headed for judgment day.

‭‭‭Revelation‬ 20:

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
Humans are born in a fallen state of affairs, i.e., we cannot observe God directly. We are given a chance to repent. Angelic beings can observe God directly. They should know better. Once fallen, there is no chance to repent. Some humans will judge angels.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably not.

Humans cannot directly observe the spirit existence of God. We do have the ability to choose to repent and be redeemed by Christ.

Angels can directly observe the spiritual existence of God. They can see that God exists. Yet, they choose to rebel against God.

Angels who see the realities of God and still rebel have no excuse. The Bible does not describe any redemptive plan for such beings. They seem to be incapable of repenting.

Jude 1:

‭‭‭Revelation‬ 20:

Humans are born in a fallen state of affairs, i.e., we cannot observe God directly. We are given a chance to repent. Angelic beings can observe God directly. They should know better. Once fallen, there is no chance to repent. Some humans will judge angels.
Yes, all of the above. However, I don't think we can determine the limits of what God has done in the past and will do in the future. If angels fell once, they may fall again. That is, others may still fail. Those who have "passed the test" will never fail again. God's word is law--it can never fail once spoken.

I think "angels" is a generic name we give all of God's creatures beyond the zone of the earth. We may call them "cherubim"--I'm not sure why? God certainly displayed them in the temple worship, indicating they are somehow mixed in with earthly worship. They line the inner walls of the tabernacle, and are prominently displayed over the mercy seat of the ark in the Holy of Holies.

If we think and know there are many kinds of earthly creatures, what keeps us from thinking there are many kinds of angels in the universe? Why must they all be the same--just because they are given one name, the angels?

But clearly, God has put a buffer between earthly creatures and heavenly creatures, the angels. We know that as humans we were created not far below the angels, and with authority to rule over earth. Angels are subject to us within the sphere of the earth. And this would include Satan. We can cast demons out of possessed people. We can call upon the Lord to deliver us from Satanic oppression.

But since they are more powerful creatures and diabolical, as well as deceptive, when they rebel against the Lord, we are to avoid them like the plague. We should not dabble in the occult. We should avoid any of the dark mysteries of spiritual wickedness.

And so, we know very little about the angels. However, we may experience them on occasion, as the Lord wills. Like us, the good angels will worship the Lord along with us. Heaven and earth will hear the praises of God from both men and angels.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably not.

Jude 1:

‭‭‭Revelation‬ 20:

Hi Tony,
I believe there is no repentance for demons and Satan because they were not created in God's own image.
Also, have you ever thought that one of the reasons Satan and his band of angels-then, demons-now rebelled against God because He made man in His image? Jealousy perhaps? :contemplate:

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably not.

Jude 1:

‭‭‭Revelation‬ 20:

Almighty God did this:
Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Is this repenting feeling bad to you? I think yes angels can and do just the ones that followed satan didn't. My opinion .

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Almighty God did this:
Genesis 6:6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Is this repenting feeling bad to you? I think yes angels can and do just the ones that followed satan didn't. My opinion .
I agree.

If God allowed them free will in their choices and we see what satan and his 1/3 of angels chose in rebellion against God which is sin, then it stands to reason that if God can repent so too could they. It does not mean they needed salvation as they were spiritual beings not mortal beings.

The word clarifes that God so loved the world that he agreed to a redemption plan in Jesus for the forgiveness of sin in fallen man before the foundation of the world. Salvation by grace through faith in him is afforded every man, however we have zero knowledge of the workings in God's spiritual realm !

Reactions: Cyd and Wrangler

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hebrews 2:16
For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

There is an obvious difference between man and angels.

Plus, there is no scripture evidence that says God created angels in His Own Image... God only says this about man.
hell was created for satan and his angels

Matthew 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Reactions: Nancy

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone knows the verse. The application is logic, which works because of the Mutual Exclusivity Principle.

Given that humans were made in the image of God, logically implies that no creature besides humans were so blessed.

Most things are known my implication or circumstantial. Most knowledge is not from explicit scenarios. For instance, humans did no see Pluto directly, the gravity signature from Neptune's orbit implied Pluto's existence.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

There is an obvious difference between man and angels.

Plus, there is no scripture evidence that says God created angels in His Own Image... God only says this about man.

Matthew 25:41
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
@TonyChanYT

"Believers in Jesus Christ understand what it is like to be dead in sin and alienated from God (Ephesians 2:1–3). They also understand the overwhelming grace and mercy shown in Christ dying the death they deserve (Ephesians 2:13). They are adopted into the family of God, and their relationship with God is redeemed (Romans 8:14–17). Angels, on the other hand, do not know the sweetness of redemption. They have no experiential knowledge of grace and salvation. Angels in heaven have not been separated from God, nor have they personally known reconciliation or the depth of intimacy that follows. It is a foreign concept that piques their curiosity. The Greek word for “to look into” means “to physically stoop down, peer intently, and inspect curiously.” Over the course of human history, angels have had a front row seat in watching God’s redemptive work with humanity (1 Timothy 3:16). The book of Hebrews describes them as “ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation” (Hebrews 1:14, ESV). They are amazed by salvation and lean in attentively, longing to understand its mysteries."

"It is important to note that the angels who disobeyed God are not restored or redeemed like humanity. The Son of God became a man to redeem humanity; He did not become an angel to redeem the heavenly host. Angels cannot fully understand salvation, as it is not for them."

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans ... have the ability to choose to repent and be redeemed by Christ.

Hi Tony, it seems to me that angels (if they have free will) could certainly choose to "repent" if they wanted to, but even if they did, they could not be forgiven because, unlike us, they do not have a Savior to make atonement for their sins.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The Genesis account in which God said, "Let’s make man in our image, after our likeness" (Genesis 1:26), is a passage about God creating living beings on the earth. It has nothing to do with the creation of angels, so we cannot make any deductions about them from the Genesis account. Of all the animals, only Adam is described as being a son of God (Luke 3:38). The angels, who are made a little higher than man (Psalms 8:5) are referred to as being sons of God (Job 1:6, 38:7), so logically it is reasonable to assume that they were also created in the likeness of God.

And, of course, Jesus was sent "in the likeness of sinful flesh" (Romans 8:3) because the redemption price for mankind was like for like, the life of a sinlesss man (Jesus) for the life of a sinless man (Adam). If Jesus was sent in the form of an angel then he could not have supplied the redemption price.

You're getting confused. The "everlasting fire" is "prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41), not hell (sheol/hades), i.e. destruction awaits them (that's what fire does!), which is clearly descibed as "the second death" for resurrected humans that are thrown into the same fire (Revelation 20:14).

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
it seems to me that angels (if they have free will)
They do have free will - how else could they have chosen to obey God or disobey God?

could certainly choose to "repent" if they wanted to, but even if they did, they could not be forgiven because, unlike us, they do not have a Savior to make atonement for their sins.
We do not have any knowledge of what laws God gave to the angels, or what punishments were promised for disobedience to those laws. All we know is that there was a war/battle in heaven and the disobedient angels were thrown out of heaven and down to the earth (Revelation 12:7-9). Therefore we can have no idea as to whether a saviour is needed for the angels. The Bible is God's word to mankind, and concerns mankind only. Jesus could be a saviour for all mankind because all mankind are descended from Adam and Eve, but angels do not procreate and none are descended from other angels - so a single redemptive saviour can't work for angels.

Reactions: Nancy

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're getting confused.

No, there's no confusion on my end... that's over at yo house.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. The lake of fire is forever

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Yes, so let's take a look at the account Jesus gives of the rich man and lazarus in Luke 16:19-31

Lazarus goes to Abraham's bosom (paradise) and the rich man goes to hell.

Luke 16:23,24
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.