Can you have God as your Father, without the Church as your mother?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not possible.

We are called to be one body.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Father, Son and Holy Ghost
The family of God is taught by our heavenly mother's wisdom who teaches her children to obey the Father and that is what the Spirit does, teaches the children of God wisdom. We are nourished in the womb hidden under the blood being birthed in the image of the Son who is our head.

Rev 22:17
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
KJV
Rev 2:7
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
KJV

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Church is not a mother...the Church is the body of Christ. The Body of Christ is the arms and legs in which Jesus is the head. The Church cannot cannot be a mother. The Church building cannot be a mother either nor can the Church modus operandi.. :)

Reactions: day and Niki

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The Church is the Bride of Christ, and Christ is her Head. Just as the husband is Head of the house, the wife is the compared to be the Church. Husband and wife are one. Christ and His bride (the Church) are also one.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The mystery of Christ and the Church is that they are one, liken unto a husband and wife being one...Ephesians 5:29-31
The bride of Christ is not from earth but comes down from heaven. Revelation 21:1-3

Revelation 22
17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

If the church is the bride then who is the Spirit and bride inviting to partake of the free gift of life???
I do not believe in replacement theology....

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Angelina said:
The mystery of Christ and the Church is that they are one, liken unto a husband and wife being one...Ephesians 5:29-31
The bride of Christ is not from earth but comes down from heaven. Revelation 21:1-3

Revelation 22
17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

If the church is the bride then who is the Spirit and bride inviting to partake of the free gift of life???
I do not believe in replacement theology....
The Church is the Bride of Christ. The Church that Christ built on earth is divine because it was built by God. It was not built by man. Just as a husband is called to be like Christ by giving his life for his wife, so did Christ won His bride, the Church, by giving up His life for her.

The Church consist of all Christians on earth and all those in Heaven. When a Christian dies, they do not stop being a Christian. They are still part of the body of Christ. We are one with Christ and also one with our brothers and sisters in Heaven. There is only one body of Christ, which consist of all Christians on earth and in Heaven. Death cannot separate us from Christ nor from those in Heaven (who are also one with Christ).

The marriage between Adam and Eve at the beginning of the Bible (Genesis) is a foreshadow of the marriage between Christ and His Church found at the end of the Bible (Revelations). When Adam and Eve became one, their union brings forth a new life (which is a child). When Christ and His Church become one, our union with Him brings eternal life for all of us.

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
I have to agree with Angelina...The church is not a mother and never has been.

The church is the bride of Christ...I will save from posting all the passages of scripture to support this Biblical fact.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The_highwayman said:
I have to agree with Angelina...The church is not a mother and never has been.

The church is the bride of Christ...I will save from posting all the passages of scripture to support this Biblical fact.

The Bride of Christ is called "New Jerusalem" (Revelations 21:2). In the Holy Bible, St. Paul refers to the New Jerusalem as "our mother."

Galatians 4:26 But the other woman, Sarah, represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She is the free woman, and she is our mother.

(Taken from the NLT Bible)

In this biblical verse, St. Paul describes Sarah as the "Heavenly Jerusalem", and he called the Heavenly Jerusalem, which is above, our Mother. Like the Apostle Paul, Catholics also believe that the Church is a Mother.

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
Selene said:
The Bride of Christ is called "New Jerusalem" (Revelations 21:2). In the Holy Bible, St. Paul refers to the New Jerusalem as "our mother."

Galatians 4:26 But the other woman, Sarah, represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She is the free woman, and she is our mother.

In this biblical verse, St. Paul describes Sarah as the "Heavenly Jerusalem", and he called the New Jerusalem our mother. Like the Apostle Paul, Catholics also believe that the Church is a Mother.
Selene,
Check out Ephesians 5:22-33.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
The Church is not a mother...the Church is the body of Christ. The Body of Christ is the arms and legs in which Jesus is the head. The Church cannot cannot be a mother. The Church building cannot be a mother either nor can the Church modus operandi.. :)
Somebody should have told Augustine and the Church Father this

Niki

May 28, 2013
Ummm...I just can't agree with that. How are you defining church here aspen if I might ask......how do you see that because I really don't follow?

Thanks

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Niki - we are called to be apart of the Church, as well as a follower of Christ - I am just agreeing with the early church fathers that the two cannot be separated - we are called to be in community. The Church includes all Trinitarian churches.

Niki

May 28, 2013
Yes I agree with being a member of the church...that is, the body of Christ as well as follower. I'm not following on the 'mother' doctrine...I guess it's a doctrine?

Thanks again

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is more of a description than a doctrine

Niki

May 28, 2013
It's my understanding it's an allegory but I am not necessarily understanding that from some of the posts here? I mean, mother is being capitalized.

Can someone please explain just how this is being interpreted? Thanks

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only capitalized it in the title because it is part of the title

Niki

May 28, 2013
Post 9

anyhows...I'd still like better understandig? otherwise, this makes no sense...at least to me...enlighten me please

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The_highwayman said:
Selene,
Check out Ephesians 5:22-33.
I don't see how that has to do with what I posted? Is that supposed to explain why St. Paul called the Heavenly Jerusalem a mother? Perhaps, you can explain?

In my post, I did say that the Church is the bride of Christ. In Revelations 21:2, she is the New Jerusalem, so that does not contradict Ephesians 5:22-33. However, St. Paul also called the New Jerusalem "our mother."

Galatians 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

(Taken from the NKJV Bible)

Status
Not open for further replies.