Can you repent without works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Those are very searching verses there in Philippians. The sovereignty of God in His ways is such a precious subject.
Yes it is, and His election isn't a popular subject but is taught in scripture. Never the less, people consistently reject the idea that salvation is God's work and according to His will, because we want to believe in our own free will, and because if it is entirely God's choice, He may not want to save us. However, such a view isn't justified in that scripture tells us plainly that God takes no pleasure in the death of those that are dying, nor is it His will that anyone perish.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes it is, and His election isn't a popular subject but is taught in scripture. Never the less, people consistently reject the idea that salvation is God's work and according to His will, because we want to believe in our own free will, and because if it is entirely God's choice, He may not want to save us. However, such a view isn't justified in that scripture tells us plainly that God takes no pleasure in the death of those that are dying, nor is it His will that anyone perish.
@michaelvpardo Divine sovereignty and human responsibility are both abundantly present in Scripture; both are Biblical, indeed.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Divine sovereignty and human responsibility are both abundantly present in Scripture; both are Biblical, indeed.
Yes they are, but God's judgment is not so explicitly defined by scripture and what few passages we have leave enough room to frighten us when we make evil choices. I suspect that is by design and meant to be a restraining influence. Clearly some people have abused Christian liberty as license to sin ever since Paul wrote his Epistles, but the Lord was clear in His promises to those who believe Him as well.

I think it's a strange thing that Christians are always second guessing God while the world either believes in some god that helps and saves, or doesn't exist at all.

The superstitious frequently have more faith in their superstition than Christians have in Christ's word and I'll qualify that by saying faith in a Savior as opposed to faith in a vengeful and condemning god.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife absolutely LOVES ol’ Earnest.....Did you know that the guy that portrayed him was a classically trainer actor that performed in Shakespearian Plays.....he was also a personal friend of Frank Sinatra’s ....the latter once gave him a Jaguar....Howard Morris was his real name....he was divorced 5 times ( was rock- throwing involved?) and he was the voice of “Atom Ant”...... He died due to heart problems...
He also directed several episodes of TAGS and Gomer Pyle, USMC. He was also 1st Sergeant of an Army Special Forces unit in WWII. :)

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are told in scripture that we are to do works meet for repentance. But what does that mean? Are works required for repentance? I have often heard people say that repentance is stopping sin, but I'm starting to think that repentance is more than just stopping sin. It involves works.

In the NA, AA and other anonymous programs we find that they are designed to turn people to a higher power and direct them to works that appear to make successful their efforts. And I believe these programs to be designed by God, inspired by God.

And now I read that we are to provide "works meet for repentance". And I think those works are the same works Jesus taught throughout the bible. Including baptism and the Holy Sacrament.

Ref:

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 26:20 “But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.”

Here is…

My Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that "Repentance" means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

"Asking God for forgiveness of sin" can either refer to: The "Sinner's Prayer" (Initial Salvation) (Romans 10:13), and or the seasoned believer "Confessing one's sin" (Continued Salvation) (See 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1).

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin.”

#1. Acts 2:38,

The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,

"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

(Continued in my next post):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,

"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.