Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcom back Aspen! My, its been awhile!

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you should probably get to know Luther - he has shaped your religion in profound ways

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura is one of the bedrock doctrines of Protestantism. Luther developed it in order to facilitate dismantling 1500 years worth of reliance on the Bible + Tradition as authoritative. Luther needed to discount sacred tradition because he had no authority except his interpretation of the Bible. Protestants (Christians who embrace sola Scriptura, sola fide, and sola gracia) still hold to the idea that the Bible is the sole authority within Christianity. Roman, Coptic, and Othodox churches reject this idea.

Luther also added a word to the scriptures, "faith alone" to bolster his interpretation of sola fide. He didn't want the books of James, Hebrews, and Revelation to be included in the NT

You will not find sola scriptura amongst my belief. But what you will find is a belief that if something is against scripture, I reject it.

The problem is so many build a doctrine and a tradition without consulting the whole Bible. You can pull a verse fron the Bible and build a doctrine, but it crumbles under the whole weight of the Bible.

As fror Luther... He was indeed a great man and inspired by God. But he had error too.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and aspen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Why are you so angry, Bread of Life?
fwiw i understand, i think. The CogDis of being raised RCC and then actually opening a Bible must be intense; but this is nothing less than any seeker must endure imo, if they hope to find Christ. Why one would subject their Catholic beliefs to the critique of Protestants i do not really get, but i think this site encourages that by claiming to be "Christian," when that is perceived as being different from "Catholic" by most people in the West--not that Prots have any stronger claim to the term or anything.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But what you will find is a belief that if something is against scripture, I reject it.
ya, we all say this, but that does not make it true. Beside which, no one is invited into a belief that is "against Scripture" strictly speaking, as obviously no one would pursue that belief--yet "Easter," which is not in the Bible, is widely observed, in place of Passover, and etc. Not interested in debating the merits there, understand; just pointing out that we all say this "if it is against the Bible, i reject it," and then go and participate in fertility rites during Passover anyway lol.

Iow as a general rule i try to recognize that if something is "against Scripture" then i prolly accept it whole-heartedly on some level, regardless of what comes out of my mouth.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found this translation.
English
1. Daystar of the morning its flame: man, I say, O Lucifer, who does not know the going down thereof. Christ, the Son of yours, which, went back from the grave, his peaceful light on all mankind, and lives and reigns for ever and ever.
Flammas eius lúcifer matutínus invéniat: ille, inquam, Lúcifer, qui nescit occásum. Christus Fílius… Translated to English
Bad translation - although I'm not surprised, coming from an uneducated anti-Catholic like yourself.
Your ill-researched posts have been debunked time and time again . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your false dichotomy aside,

I've never read about Jesus being disgusted by people who held different ideas about doctrine.....in fact, I believe the Pharisees were disturbed by this aspect of Jesus - he hung around all sorts....even Samaritians, prostitutes, and tax collectors.

Anti Catholic ideas are held for different reasons. Mine were based in ignorance. Love brought me into the light.
This is a false premise.

Jesus may not have been disgusted by people who had different opinions - but he didn't tolerate liars.
The videos that Job has posted are not only an exercise in stupidity - they are filled with easily-debunked lies.

Do you honestly believe that God approves of lies??
Maybe, you're not as "educated" a Catholic as you claim to be . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never defended the Truth, either, btw - he was too committed to living it
His entire life was a defense of the truth.
His Apostles defended truth until their deaths. All of the Epistles are a presentation - AND a defense of the truth.

Not sure which Bible you're reading . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is immaturity talking. "I'm mad so you should be mad too."
Not at all.
I'm not "mad" because you lie. I simply won't tolerate it.

Exposing lies from angry anti-Catholics like you helps those who are sincerely seeking the truth.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fwiw i understand, i think. The CogDis of being raised RCC and then actually opening a Bible must be intense; but this is nothing less than any seeker must endure imo, if they hope to find Christ. Why one would subject their Catholic beliefs to the critique of Protestants i do not really get, but i think this site encourages that by claiming to be "Christian," when that is perceived as being different from "Catholic" by most people in the West--not that Prots have any stronger claim to the term or anything.
Why wouldn't a Christian subject their beliefs to the "critique" of others??
This is precisely what a Christian is SUPPOSED to do - spread the truth.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Debunk this.
Here’s a little hint:

Just because you saw on Youtube doesn’t make it true.

One of the most blindingly clear examples of this is the “dark secret” #2. It describes a corruption of mental hospitals and speaks of statistics and “federal funds” – but never speaks of where this allegedly took place.

The story of the supposedly 800 babies in a supposed “mass grave” inside a septic tanks is also a work of fiction. Whereas, there was a high infant mortality rate at this clinic for unwed pregnant women – not all of the babies died – and not ONE of them was buried in a septic tank.

Bottom line here: You REALLY need to be careful about what you so readily swallow as the “truth.”
Stop being so gullible and do some homework instead of spreading unsubstantiated lies.

This speaks VOLUMES about your angry confusion . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why wouldn't a Christian subject their beliefs to the "critique" of others?
because one's beliefs are irrelevant to God and others, as noted in several passages
This is precisely what a Christian is SUPPOSED to do - spread the truth.
"beliefs" are not "truth," however. they also are not faith, even though the two terms are often conflated with one another, often improperly, in translations.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because one's beliefs are irrelevant to God and others, as noted in several passages
One's beliefs are not "irrelevant" to God.
EVERYTHING is relevant to God because we will be judged by everything we do or do not do.

"beliefs" are not "truth," however. they also are not faith, even though the two terms are often conflated with one another, often improperly, in translations.
Well - there's a first time for everything - and you finally got something right.
Belief and faith are NOT the same thing.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
One's beliefs are not "irrelevant" to God.
well as i said--and of course you did not pick up on--is that this concept is illuminated in more than one passage, which i guess you do not want to even entertain, which is why you do not ask about them.
Well - there's a first time for everything - and you finally got something right.
unfortunately, coming from you, that likely means that it is time for me to pause and reflect lol, because you are obviously a pretty mentally disturbed individual, i guess maybe you got beat down too much as a kid or something? What? Do you understand that i am jeopardizing myself here even telling you this, and i have absolutely nothing to gain by it?

How many witnesses do you need to tell you that you have issues, before you will believe it? If you are the standard-bearer for the RCC, what hope do you think it has?

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You saying they're not true is not debunking. Get a clue.
Youtube video is not proof.
I can show you a slew of Youtube videos that make some of the wackiest claims - like yours . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well as i said--and of course you did not pick up on--is that this concept is illuminated in more than one passage, which i guess you do not want to even entertain, which is why you do not ask about them.
PROVE it . . .