Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Man

Apr 28, 2011
Steubenville, OH
stpaulcenter.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no distinction.

Exodus 20
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Do you see the distinction now? Do not bow down nor worship them.

k
So interesting. You actually believe what you are saying? Astounding! Someone should do a case study.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do anti-Catholics get so bent out of shape over a picture of the Pope kneeling in prayer?
Would they rather he stand on his head?

Well if its for a photo op its in vain. Mat 6 clearly says prayer should be private... Not to be seen of men. That doesn't make it evil, just in vain. So when we see the Pope in prayer in a photo, God wasn't listening.

Then again, the poor guy probably doesn't have many opportunities to be alone.... Or does he? I don't really know.

Most likely people are upset where he is praying. Was it in front of a statue? If so that's probably the reason.

Again, that's not my thinking. If you say you aren't praying to the statue or asking the statue to pray for you, I take you at your word.

But the question you asked is misdirected. Its clear that no one is upset at the Pope is praying. Its where he is praying. I don't agree that it's wrong. Im just saying it seems to be purposely blind to not see where the objection is.

Old Man

Apr 28, 2011
Steubenville, OH
stpaulcenter.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: Are you ok with the catholic church changing the 10 commandments? They removed one of the commandments. Are you familiar with that?

Counter question: Why do Protestants ignore the commandments about marriage? In other words why do you allow divorce and remarriage? Why do many of your denoms allow killing children before they are born? A clear violation of the commandment against murder. Why do (most of) you allow contraception? In my book, contraception is a real violation of the commandment against idolatry (however you number them) . In Contraception you are saying to God, "I know better than you how many children I'm supposed to have and when". It is the sin of Adam for modern times. "I will decide what's right and what's wrong, not you, God."

The answer is because you have cast yourselves off from the Church which will never change it's moral teaching by a vote of any majority.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So interesting. You actually believe what you are saying? Astounding! Someone should do a case study.

This is something an atheist would say.

I'm not surprised, considering the source...

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Counter question: Why do Protestants ignore the commandments about marriage? In other words why do you allow divorce and remarriage? Why do many of your denoms allow killing children before they are born? A clear violation of the commandment against murder. Why do (most of) you allow contraception? In my book, contraception is a real violation of the commandment against idolatry (however you number them) . In Contraception you are saying to God, "I know better than you how many children I'm supposed to have and when". It is the sin of Adam for modern times. "I will decide what's right and what's wrong, not you, God."

I'm not a Protestant. You'll have to find one and ask them. If you're expecting me to defend their sinful behavior, you have another thing coming. I don't defend sin. I don't defend murder/abortion. I don't defend divorce. I don't defend any of the things you posted. Sin is sin.

p

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer is because you have cast yourselves off from the Church which will never change it's moral teaching by a vote of any majority.

I don't expect it to change and I'm not trying to change it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matt. 22:29
Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.
Yet you are the one denying it,

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

and that is why we dont need religion. Religion has nothing to offer man that God does not have nor give when asked,

Old Man

Apr 28, 2011
Steubenville, OH
stpaulcenter.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a Protestant. You'll have to find one and ask them. If you're expecting me to defend their sinful behavior, you have another thing coming. I don't defend sin. I don't defend murder/abortion. I don't defend divorce. I don't defend any of the things you posted. Sin is sin.

p
OK, I'll bite. Not Catholic (17 rites, the largest of which is the Latin Rite), not Orthodox (national churhes that trace back to the split beginning in 1054), not Protestant (an amorphous term for the thousands of splinter groups that trace back to the split of 1517); what exactly are you?

Congrats, btw, on holding the line on sin.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I'll bite. Not Catholic (17 rites, the largest of which is the Latin Rite), not Orthodox (national churhes that trace back to the split beginning in 1054), not Protestant (an amorphous term for the thousands of splinter groups that trace back to the split of 1517); what exactly are you?

Congrats, btw, on holding the line on sin.

So you believe one must belong to a religious organization in order to know and worship God? Why? Explain your reasoning.

o

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is hilarious! Thanks! I like the dramatic music. So foreboding! I think I'll show it to my bible study group tomorrow.

You laugh because you don't understand what you're looking at. You're not the first to display your lack of knowledge and understanding through laughter.

o

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in post #849 - I obliterated this nonsense . . .

As for the obelisk in St. Peter's square - WHY do you think it's there, Einstein??
Take a look at the TOP of it - and what do you see?

Answer: a CROSS, signifying that paganism has been conquered by Christianity.

Your little video accuses ALL Christian Churches - Catholic and Protestant - that display a cross of being idol worshipers, indicating that the cross is a "pagan" symbol.

Ummm, in case you forgot - our Lord was killed on a cross, Einstein.

1 Cor. 1:23
"...but we preach Christ CRUCIFIED: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"

Good grief - do some homework . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a Protestant. You'll have to find one and ask them. If you're expecting me to defend their sinful behavior, you have another thing coming. I don't defend sin. I don't defend murder/abortion. I don't defend divorce. I don't defend any of the things you posted. Sin is sin.p
Actually - you might be right.
You're only a Protestant if you're a non-Catholic Christian.

By your posts - it doesn't look like you are . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't have to be worshiped. It's an idol and we not suppose to have them.
What an asinine statement.
This proves that you don't understand what an "idol" is, Einstein . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if its for a photo op its in vain. Mat 6 clearly says prayer should be private... Not to be seen of men. That doesn't make it evil, just in vain. So when we see the Pope in prayer in a photo, God wasn't listening.

Then again, the poor guy probably doesn't have many opportunities to be alone.... Or does he? I don't really know.

Most likely people are upset where he is praying. Was it in front of a statue? If so that's probably the reason.

Again, that's not my thinking. If you say you aren't praying to the statue or asking the statue to pray for you, I take you at your word.

But the question you asked is misdirected. Its clear that no one is upset at the Pope is praying. Its where he is praying. I don't agree that it's wrong. Im just saying it seems to be purposely blind to not see where the objection is.
What an astoundingly ignorant take on Scripture.

ALL prayer is to be done in private??
Why did Jesus PUBLICLY pray the Lord's Prayer? Was God listening??
Why did Jesus PUBLICLY bless the loaves and fishes?? Was God plugging His ears??
Why are there tens of thousands of Protestant sects ALL praying PUBLICLY every Sunday?? Is God wearing ear muffs??

You just proved again that you don't understand Scripture in its proper CONTEXT.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 6 doesn't forbid praying in public, it forbids using prayer in public to show off. Otherwise, whole communities would be forbidden to recite the Lord's Prayer, found in the same chapter. Your judgement against the Pope, who is a humble man, is ridiculous.
Only very STUPID people think that Catholics pray to statues.
Maybe we are getting somewhere.
The blindness is in STUPID people jumping to false conclusions.