Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So....God only answers prayer based on merit? Sounds like an abusive parent, not God.
well, my argument there would be where is

"and they both ask for a different outcome of the same situation"

justified in Scripture? Lots of "Christians" do it, but imo it is not Scriptural.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to believe that God only answers prayer that is in our best interests. We are terrible at determining our best interests. Instead of asking our father for a dove, we ask for a snake; a good father refuses our poor request.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Job

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And you're STILL not in His Church . . .
You are absolutely positively correct about that, because I am at home im my house. Actually its not my house I rent. Besides we " ARE", His church, His church is not something you go to it is what you become when you are in Him . And a strangers voice they will not Hear.

Reactions: Job

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's calendar starts with darkness, not with light. This is why the Jews reckon the beginning of the day at sundown, not daybreak, as God spoke in Genesis chapter 1. I wish that they would reckon the year as beginning at the 1st passover as God has commanded, but they've always had trouble with obedience.
BTW, when the Lord talks about a house, he could be speaking of a structure, or he could be speaking of a people, or a family. His use of terms are broader than hours. Eventually the curse will consume the whole earth if men don't take the things that they see to heart. Prophecy is light from a dark place and even the NT prophets have written things which obviously were not true in their time though they anticipated them. I don't understand everything that the Lord is doing, I just say what He gives me to say and do what he gives me to do. If I am a false prophet as mr. BOL asserts, then I can tell you that according to scripture I was still sent by the Lord, but I don't think that's the case.

I appreciate your reply and apologize for the back-handed attempt to mock your prophesy. I do not say you are a false prophet, but it should be easy to understand how a simple parishioner, such as I, could think that BoL's house should be consumed by fire by now!
"I will send out the curse,'' says the Lord of hosts; "It shall enter the house of the thief and the house of the one who
swears falsely by My name. It shall remain in the midst of his house and consume it, with its timber and stones.''

Now, a curse might be on his household if he is swearing falsely by the Lord's Name. I don't know that and don't think I will give my opinion.
Thanks again for your explanation.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks again for your explanation.
Thank you for your kindness and I pray that the Lord strengthens and encourages you for the days to come. Amen.
From my earliest memories of gospel readings I wanted to be like Jesus, but somehow life has made me more like my namesake and I feel a bit robbed. I downloaded a free e-book about the archangel which includes old prayers to him, novenas, and some things about his appearances. I don't understand why an angel would ask for the church to pay him and the angelic host homage when the Lord specifically forbade these things, so I consider such apparitions deception, but perhaps the book misrepresented Catholic practice. These sorts of things have always disturbed me, but at the age of 60 and with poor health I suppose I'll have opportunity to ask the Lord about these things face to face soon enough.

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are absolutely positively correct about that, because I am at home im my house. Actually its not my house I rent. Besides we " ARE", His church, His church is not something you go to it is what you become when you are in Him . And a strangers voice they will not Hear.
Actually - you're not a part of His Church because His Church is a VISIBLE entity (Matt. 5:14). It is unified (John 17:21-23).

His Church isn't a gaggle of perpetually-splintering Protestant sects and Lone Ranger believers all believing in different doctrines..
It is Monolithic - it is ONE - it is Catholic.

You're a fringe believer - inventing your own doctrines along the way . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your kindness and I pray that the Lord strengthens and encourages you for the days to come. Amen.
From my earliest memories of gospel readings I wanted to be like Jesus, but somehow life has made me more like my namesake and I feel a bit robbed. I downloaded a free e-book about the archangel which includes old prayers to him, novenas, and some things about his appearances. I don't understand why an angel would ask for the church to pay him and the angelic host homage when the Lord specifically forbade these things, so I consider such apparitions deception, but perhaps the book misrepresented Catholic practice. These sorts of things have always disturbed me, but at the age of 60 and with poor health I suppose I'll have opportunity to ask the Lord about these things face to face soon enough.
While you're asking the Lord about those things - you might wanna ask Him for forgiveness for casting useless curses on His people . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I tend to believe that God only answers prayer that is in our best interests. We are terrible at determining our best interests. Instead of asking our father for a dove, we ask for a snake; a good father refuses our poor request.
amen. We pray for favorable outcomes of fleshly situations, instead of praying in God's will, for more wisdom, or humility, etc. Like God is Santa or something

Reactions: aspen

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While you're asking the Lord about those things - you might wanna ask Him for forgiveness for casting useless curses on His people . . .
It's the Lord's curse, not mine. And I'm already forgiven for every sin, past, present, and future. His sons and daughters have received Him and are sealed with His Spirit, and there is no condemnation for us. Hallelujah, what a savior! We don't need your voodoo doctor priests, because we are a kingdom of priests and we intercede for humanity through prayer and works prepared beforehand by the Father Himself. It's a shame that you don't get these things, but you may eventually.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the way, "fortune telling" aside, God's law always requires 2 or more witnesses in order to be received for the Lord's judgment, and I've never encountered a second witness with the boldness to stand as such among these "brothers and sisters" that participate.
And I don't need you or anyone else to pass my request up to the lowly father in the Vatican, as I've found a mailing address on line which appears valid.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the Lord's curse, not mine. And I'm already forgiven for every sin, past, present, and future. His sons and daughters have received Him and are sealed with His Spirit, and there is no condemnation for us. Hallelujah, what a savior! We don't need your voodoo doctor priests, because we are a kingdom of priests and we intercede for humanity through prayer and works prepared beforehand by the Father Himself. It's a shame that you don't get these things, but you may eventually.
You talk about "voodoo" and it's YOU who is casting whammies and hexes on me and my household.
Can YOU say, "Hypocrite??"
How about "False prophet?"

As for priests - you're only partially correct but you don't know the whole story.
Allow me to explain . . .

In the Old Testament, there were three levels of Priests: Aaron, the High Priest, the Levitical (ministrial) Priesthood, and the rest of the people were a general priesthood of believers.

In the New Testament, there are also three levels of Priests: Jesus, our High Priest (1 Tim. 2:5, Heb. 7:22-25), the Ministerial/Levitical Priests (James 5:14-15) and the general priesthood of all Christians (1 Peter 2:5-9).

Just as with all NT fulfillments of OT types - the fulfillment is always more glorious and perfect than the OT type.

Finally, in the Epistle of Jude, we read the warning about those who would usurp Church Authority by assuming the ministerial priesthood without the Church’s consent (Jude 1:11). In this passage he compares them to the rebellion of Korah and their subsequent punishment (Numbers 16:1-35; 31:16).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you post this lie??
That's NOT what the Pope said and is NOT what the Church teaches.

First of all - it's a theological statement from the Vatican - not the Pope.

It says:
"That the Jews are participants in God's salvation is theologically unquestionable, but how that can be possible without confessing Christ explicitly, is and remains an unfathomable divine mystery,"

Get your story straight before posting this kind of provocative and erroneous tripe.
This is PRECISELY why there is anti-Catholicicm in the world - because of people like YOU perpetuating myths and lies.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh....and you heard BoL, all you anticatholics! I am the reason you exist.....

Wait! The Pope didn't say that ex cathedra! Wait! That didn't come from the Pope at all! Wait that statement didn't come from the Vatican either! Wait, wait, wait.....it only came from BoL.......nevermind

Reactions: pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is a tough subject. But it is like being "saved" while in the rain...and then thinking that the rain should stop, or have anything to do with your inner self. It doesn't.
Tough indeed, but well put....I too had to learn that our flesh and spirit do not 'mix' in that sense. I see the trouble as being one of unbelief, they simply WILL not accept that it is the gift of God, so that no man can boast. Most I meet want to try to save themselves, or add to what they can't believe Jesus has already done. Pity that !

Reactions: ScottA