Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
They like want every holiday to be Christian like, so they try to make something up with Halloween when it's clearly not.

God Bless you Joshua, :)
Those are words of a young mans wisdom.
You stand firm in the things that God has placed on your heart.
In do so you will never be moved but rather all heaven and earth will move for you.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
The main goals of the modern christian are to be liked and accepted,they have been taught it is the their only responsability and obligation,they imitate what the world does when the bible says be seperate and come out from among them,they think the represent Christ by all things to all people standing for nothing....Christ said he came to bring a sword and division among men in regard to rightousness and salvation, they have exchanged their sword for a welcome basket and a busy schedule of programs sure to please the whole family,movie night,game night and the ever popular pot luck dinner where one can temporarily set aside any vice they may have in favor of the vice of good old fashioned gluttony.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I have been seeing people talk about Halloween and a lot of pumpkin carving lately. That got me thinking if it is something you think is appropriate for a Christian to do. A little digging led to my personal discovery of "All saints day" which is on November 1st, a day after Halloween. Which I find ironic.

I personally never grew up celebrating Halloween because of a somewhat strict religious upbringing. On the contrary, I have seen/heard of other Christians decorating as if it were Christmas and, the usual, costume & candy thing. I've always thought the candy and dress-up was a way to commercialize a Holiday with a deeper meaning (as in Easter, Christmas) but that's just my personal opinion.

I guess it really just depends on your upbringing and beliefs.

Anyone out there join in any of the festivities?
If one belongs to a kingdom that is not of this world why would one participate in the celebrations of the kingdoms of this world?

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Christians should enlighten and offer alternatives to celebrating Halloween, but I don't think the best way to do that is preventing a 3 year old Buzz Lightyear from going door to door to collect free candy and accolades for his costume.

Accusing parents and their small children of celebrating pagan rituals because they go door-to-door for treats is as ridiculous as it is counterproductive.

Those that feel that any participation in Halloween activities amounts to the participation in the original purpose of the holiday must then apply that principle evenly.

Therefore:
- Those who accept Easter candy in their baskets from a person dressed like a giant bunny are actually willfully celebrating the Resurrection of Christ.

- Those that open Christmas presents from Santa on Christmas morning are actually willfully celebrating the birth of Christ.

Or to put a finer point on it:
if Buzz Lightyear taking candy from a neighbor is actually honoring the pagan gods, then those taking candy from a bunny or accepting presents from Santa are actually honoring Jesus Christ.

Good points. Oh we'll...those religious types passed the same judgement on Jesus when he had dinner with those nasty sinners.

15 And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at food in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. 16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eats and drinks with publicans and sinners?

17 When Jesus heard it, he says unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Mark 2:15-17

And remember what he said bout the hookers...

Whether of them two did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus says unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. Matthew 21:31

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
i'm bumping this thread a month in advance to raise awareness. i just think if more christians know about the roots of Halolween, less would celebrate it.

here's a verse i haven't shared yet. in 3 john 1:11 it says to not imitate what is evil.

i think it's important to note that celebrating halloween like most people do is opening the door to Satan.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
bump! with the festival 3 weeks away and with all of the media and sales beginning, it's time for a counter strike.
what are you all doing about halloween?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ain't participating! If kids come to my door, I'll tell them I don't have any candy to give them. There is no justifying this holiday!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
People and even Christians are blind to think that it's only a question of wether or not it is sin. what about wether or not it is bondage? people are being led away in chains and they don't even question it.

i was just sitting at this computer in this library and the librarian gave me some candy. she said trick or treat and i immediately sensed the same evil from the candy that i sense from a horror dvd on the rack or a heavy metal album. not that all of these candys have something attatched to them neccessarally, but because many of them do.

Wake up Christians!!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I do not know where others get their information about Halloween, but I have done research on the Celtic (pronounced "keltik") origin of what is now known as Halloween.

For the ancient Celts (pronounced "kelts"), the night of Halloween was not a night for celebration. Instead, it was just the opposite.

The Celts believed that on that night, demons were allowed to roam on the Earth. The goal of the Celts was to avoid those demons, possibly shooing them away. The druids had the task of using their religious rituals to try to drive away the demons.

Commoners, meanwhile, hid in their homes. If any person needed to go outside, then that person donned a disguise in an attempt to trick the demons into believing that the person was a demon, too, so that the demons would not harass or harm the person.

Again, the Celts wanted to be protected from demons. Worshiping demons was unthinkable.

Thankfully, Celtic Christian missionaries ( such as Columba) spread the news that there were no demons roaming the Earth on that night. The missionaries explained to the Celts how the God of Christianity ruled Heaven and Earth and how Christ Jesus had defeated Satan, the leader of demons.

Knowing that Satan had been conquered enabled the Celts to stop living in fear on the night of October 31st. They no longer had need for the druids, and so druids became relics. The Celts gladly converted to the Christian faith.

Today, Halloween is a time for fun only, for pretending to be someone else for a short while. Participants understand that there are no demons roaming the Earth on that night.

Sadly, Halloween has been hijacked by people who participate in Wicca and Satanism. They turned October 31st into something that it was not originally.

If some people are opposed to the non-religious modern-day Halloween tradition, then so be it. That doesn't bother me.

Personal Note: I learned about the ancient Celts because the were my ancestors, as were the Picts, also.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Dodo, halloween is not just a time for fun only and yes there are demons roaming the earth every night. and halloween is a special night for them.

the Bible says, Satan roams about as a roaring Lion seeking whom he may devour. that verse couldn't be more of a contradiction to your statements.

oh and Dodo, Druids weren't as innocent in the festival as you'd like to paint them.

As darkness set in on October 31st, the clan of Druids would put on their white robes and hoods. They would carry sickles and Celtic crosses as they began a torchlight procession. At the beginning of the procession, a male slave was killed and dragged by a rope fastened to his left ankle. The Druids would walk until they came to a house or a village where they shouted the equivalent of “trick or treat.” The treat was a slave girl or any female to be given to the Druids. If the people refused to a girl as a “treat”, blood was taken from the dead slave and used to draw a hexagram or six-pointed star on the door or wall of the village. Spirits of the “horned hunter of the night” were invoked by the Druids to kill someone in that house or village by fear that night.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
teamventure said:
Dodo, halloween is not just a time for fun only and yes there are demons roaming the earth every night. and halloween is a special night for them.

the Bible says, Satan roams about as a roaring Lion seeking whom he may devour. that verse couldn't be more of a contradiction to your statements.

oh and Dodo, Druids weren't as innocent in the festival as you'd like to paint them.

As darkness set in on October 31st, the clan of Druids would put on their white robes and hoods. They would carry sickles and Celtic crosses as they began a torchlight procession. At the beginning of the procession, a male slave was killed and dragged by a rope fastened to his left ankle. The Druids would walk until they came to a house or a village where they shouted the equivalent of “trick or treat.” The treat was a slave girl or any female to be given to the Druids. If the people refused to a girl as a “treat”, blood was taken from the dead slave and used to draw a hexagram or six-pointed star on the door or wall of the village. Spirits of the “horned hunter of the night” were invoked by the Druids to kill someone in that house or village by fear that night.
How about citing a Bible verse which says that October 31st is a particular day for demons? Cite a Bible verse which says that any particular day of the year is a special day for demons.

The information that I cited came from encyclopedias (pre-Internet physical encyclopedias, that is). What is the source of your information?
I cannot find any evidence that verifies what you said about the ancient druids.

By the way, the Celtic cross is a symbol of Christianity used by Celtic Christians, What pre-Christian Celts used was the Sun Cross. (Information Source)

Anyway, I said, "If some people are opposed to the non-religious modern-day Halloween tradition, then so be it. That doesn't bother me."

I am not advocating the modern-day celebration of Halloween. I merely explained its Celtic origin. Also, I did not say that druids did anything good.

If you want an accurate explanation of the origin of Halloween, then I recommend visiting the History Channel's website that talks about Halloween's origins.

Correction: Earlier I said that the ancient Celts did not celebrate anything on October 31st.

Since I said that, I have done further research and discovered that my earlier comment isn't correct.

The ancient Celts believed that they could be visited by the spirits of their deceased loved ones on that night.
So, the Celts would do something to celebrate the return of their deceased loved ones.

At the same time, the Celts believed that evil spirits could also visit them on that night, which is something that the Celts wanted to avoid.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Dodo_David said:
How about citing a Bible verse which says that October 31st is a particular day for demons? Cite a Bible verse which says that any particular day of the year is a special day for demons.

The information that I cited came from encyclopedias (pre-Internet physical encyclopedias, that is). What is the source of your information?
I cannot find any evidence that verifies what you said about the ancient druids.

By the way, the Celtic cross is a symbol of Christianity used by Celtic Christians, What pre-Christian Celts used was the Sun Cross. (Information Source)

Anyway, I said, "If some people are opposed to the non-religious modern-day Halloween tradition, then so be it. That doesn't bother me."

I am not advocating the modern-day celebration of Halloween. I merely explained its Celtic origin. Also, I did not say that druids did anything good.

If you want an accurate explanation of the origin of Halloween, then I recommend visiting the History Channel's website that talks about Halloween's origins.

Correction: Earlier I said that the ancient Celts did not celebrate anything on October 31st.

Since I said that, I have done further research and discovered that my earlier comment isn't correct.

The ancient Celts believed that they could be visited by the spirits of their deceased loved ones on that night.
So, the Celts would do something to celebrate the return of their deceased loved ones.

At the same time, the Celts believed that evil spirits could also visit them on that night, which is something that the Celts wanted to avoid.
i didn't say that any day was evil. it is the festival celebrated on that day that is evil. the day still belongs to God because he alone is soverign.
here's the websight i found it on: http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract10.html oh and if you can't find similar articles you're not looking very hard.
and you believe the history channel? the same source that would deny Jesus is the Christ or say that evolution is true?

i see too much truth for you to deflect Dodo?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worrying about Halloween gives it power to influence others, besides it is small potatoes compared to the consumerism of Christmas

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yes. I participate in this night. When people ask you for food (or candy lol), as Christians, we should give it to them.

Sounds simplistic doesn't it ?

But that's what It boils down to for me.

We ARE NOT like our ancestors were. Afraid of this that and the other (thanks dodo david for the lesson about this day :) ).

WE HAVE EVOLVED AND GROWN AS CHRISTIANS.

For the whole, we have learned a bit more about demons.

And children asking for candy is not something to turn my self righteous, holier than thou head away from.

We took back that day and turned it into something good again.

Get over yourselves.

Huuummmphhh !

*stomps away*

:lol: ;)
KPpkgLn6d.jpeg

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
aspen2 said:
Worrying about Halloween gives it power to influence others, besides it is small potatoes compared to the consumerism of Christmas
no, celebrating halloween gives it power to influence others. and who's worried anyway.
laid renard said:
Yes. I participate in this night. When people ask you for food (or candy lol), as Christians, we should give it to them.

Sounds simplistic doesn't it ?

But that's what It boils down to for me.

We ARE NOT like our ancestors were. Afraid of this that and the other (thanks dodo david for the lesson about this day :) ).

WE HAVE EVOLVED AND GROWN AS CHRISTIANS.

For the whole, we have learned a bit more about demons.

And children asking for candy is not something to turn my self righteous, holier than thou head away from.

We took back that day and turned it into something good again.

Get over yourselves.

Huuummmphhh !

*stomps away*

:lol: ;)

KPpkgLn6d.jpeg
because taking a stand against Satan and the Occult means you're self righteous. get over it.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
jiggyfly said:
When I stand back look at Halloween I am convinced that it is a christian religious holiday or activity.
Everyone dresses up and pretends to be something that they are not. Sure sounds like a Sunday worship service to me. :blink:
You are so funny jiggyfly. How about we start a church for those who don't take themselves too seriously?

Dodo_David said:
Today, Halloween is a time for fun only, for pretending to be someone else for a short while. Participants understand that there are no demons roaming the Earth on that night.
Whilst I enjoyed what you said overall, I cannot agree to this. My impression is that participants have no idea about demons roaming the earth and in all probability would say you are a bit cuckoo if that is what you believe.

One has only to look at the claims of atheists to know what the devils plans are. They say satan does not exist and that is what satan wants people to believe. If that is what they believe, they will usually blame God for everything that is wrong even though they believe he doesn't exist.

Knowing that satan is the father of lies and he is incapable of telling truth, it is obvious that he does exist otherwise he would not try and convince people that he doesn't.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
As I said earlier, I am not endorsing or advocating the modern-day Halloween celebration.

I just want people to have a correct understanding of Halloween's origin.

Sadly, some well-meaning people have been spreading false information about the origin of Halloween.

Again, for an accurate account of the origin of Halloween, I (as an individual, not as a moderator) recommend the History Channel webpage about Halloween. It summarizes what professional historians have reported about Halloween.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
well said marksman.

hey Dodo, do you admit that Satan and his hordes roams about on the night of Halloween, just not in the way the ancient Celts believed but from a Christian perspective?

i went through your link from the history channel, but what in my description of halloween disagrees with it?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
teamventure said:
well said marksman.

hey Dodo, do you admit that Satan and his hordes roams about on the night of Halloween, just not in the way the ancient Celts believed but from a Christian perspective?

i went through your link from the history channel, but what in my description of halloween disagrees with it?
teamventure,

I find no historical evidence to back up the claims mentioned in the source that you quoted.

Also, the last time that I checked, the Bible doesn't say that Satan limits his work to a particular day or time of day.

Anyway, I am not recommending that the modern-day Halloween celebration be accepted.