Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
DodoDavid, the history channel is extremely biased against Christ and the word. this should be a concern to you. is it a concern to you?

and your next statement is a strawman fallacy as I didn't say that Satan limits his work to a particular day. but Satan does specific work through the festival of Samhain.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
teamventure said:
DodoDavid, the history channel is extremely biased against Christ and the word. this should be a concern to you. is it a concern to you?
I am more concerned about the use of ad hominem against a source of information.
Historians do not have to promote Christianity in order to accurately describe what is in the historical record.

teamventure said:
Satan does specific work through the festival of Samhain.
Samhain isn't the modern-day Halloween holiday enjoyed by the majority of the American public.

Whereas neo-pagans may celebrate a neo-Samhain, the vast majority of people who enjoy modern-day Halloween don't believe like the neo-pagans do.

Frankly, I would not object to the modern-day Halloween holiday completely and permanently disappearing.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
historians don't have to promote Christianity but man of them are biased against it.

fair enough of a statement that halloween and samhain isn't the same. but Satan uses halloween too.

as you can see. i like to debate sometimes. i would love to see halloween permanently disappearing.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been following the History channel for a long time.... Heck I was following it back when they actually had programs that dealt with history.... Not Pawn shops and coon asses. :)

history.com is still legit. It's still a good website. It ain't the Bible and it doesn't take presidence over it. Furthermore, just because they produced a crappy miniseries on the Bible doesn't make it anti Bible or Anti Christian.

I have read the historychannel on Halloween. I take that piece of information and compare it to others. Have you?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
FHII said:
I have read the historychannel on Halloween. I take that piece of information and compare it to others. Have you?
Indeed, I have.

See "A Quick Guide to the Origin & History of Halloween" and "Samhain - A Very Irish Feast".

Also see "The Origins of Halloween" and the Salon article "Primeval terror (since 1929)", as well as "The odd origins of the Halloween celebration".

Then there is "Halloween Origins" by UCLA English professor Andy Kelly. Professor Kelly writes the following:

"What little we know about them [Druids] we get from Julius Caesar and other classical writers, and a bit more from early medieval Irish sources. None of them speak about sinister rites on Oct. 31, the end of the Celtic year."

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the history channel is pop-history - headlines dragged out over 45 minutes. accounts that could be told in 5 minutes dragged out - that is why i stopped watching tv 5 years ago and have never missed it.

Halloween is simply another distraction from loving God and neighbor. Congress is distracting us in the same way with artifical debt ceiling drama..........make me wonder if Christ is waiting so long to return based on our perpensity to distract ourselves with so much drama, instead of practicing our sanctification

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
great post aspen

SO HERE'S A TOP TEN LIST OF PEOPLES COMMENTS ABOUT HALLOWEEN AND MY RESPONSES TO THEM:

it's ok to eat meats sacrificed to idols in the Bible so it's ok: (two different things like the difference between celebrating halloween and eating halloween candy afterwards)

the Bible doesn't say not to celebrate it: (the bible is older than samhain)

Satan doesn't want us to celebrate it because we're showing we're not afraid of him by mocking him: (Satan invented samhain.) (Satans biggest strategy is to convince the world he doesn't exist)

it's legalistic not to: (it's not about legalism it's about bondage)

evil is not a force: (our battle is against the forces of evil)

Satan isn't roaming about on that night: (Satan roams about like a roaring lion)

it just depends on what halloween means to you and how you celebrate it: (you can't uncurse something that's cursed)

it's judge mental to say it's a sin: (it's not just a sin issue it's a bondage issue)

it's only what you make of it: (it doesn't make sense to take something that's occultic and say it's not occultic to me so it's no longer occultic. that's what the world has done with Samhain)

it's for children: (it's leading your children into bondage and opening the door to Satan)

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
teamventure said:
great post aspen

SO HERE'S A TOP TEN LIST OF PEOPLES COMMENTS ABOUT HALLOWEEN AND MY RESPONSES TO THEM:

it's ok to eat meats sacrificed to idols in the Bible so it's ok: (two different things like the difference between celebrating halloween and eating halloween candy afterwards)

the Bible doesn't say not to celebrate it: (the bible is older than samhain)

Satan doesn't want us to celebrate it because we're showing we're not afraid of him by mocking him: (Satan invented samhain.) (Satans biggest strategy is to convince the world he doesn't exist)

it's legalistic not to: (it's not about legalism it's about bondage)

evil is not a force: (our battle is against the forces of evil)

Satan isn't roaming about on that night: (Satan roams about like a roaring lion)

it just depends on what halloween means to you and how you celebrate it: (you can't uncurse something that's cursed)

it's judge mental to say it's a sin: (it's not just a sin issue it's a bondage issue)

it's only what you make of it: (it doesn't make sense to take something that's occultic and say it's not occultic to me so it's no longer occultic. that's what the world has done with Samhain)

it's for children: (it's leading your children into bondage and opening the door to Satan)
Uh, just who here is speaking favorably about the observance of the modern-day Halloween holiday?

Not me. I'm just clarifying the origin of the modern-day Halloween holiday.

Anyway, what I see in the above-quoted post is an example of begging the question. C'est la vie!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
hi DodoDavid, i understand that you've made it clear you're not advocating halloween.
however some people in this thread were.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan sure gets around.......of course, even the busiest entity cannot possible hope to masquerade as every demon known to humanity, while possessing countless humans, not to mention using all the leaders of the church as pawns - unless he was omnipresent, wait.......that would mean that we were confusing him with God.......hmmmmm

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen2 said:
Satan sure gets around.......of course, even the busiest entity cannot possible hope to masquerade as every demon known to humanity, while possessing countless humans, not to mention using all the leaders of the church as pawns - unless he was omnipresent, wait.......that would mean that we were confusing him with God.......hmmmmm
How about we give this debate a rest?

If a man feels that it is wrong for him to participate in modern-day Halloween customs, then it is wrong for him to do so.

When it comes to issues that aren't addressed by the Bible, let each live according to what a clear conscience will permit.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good David - not sure why you are addressing my post. I am not the person telling people to fear what is hiding behind every bush.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Dododave, Aspen would have you believe there is no literal Devil or Satan. He posted in this very thread that evil is not a force directly contradicting Ephesians. halloween or no halloween our battle is against the forces of evil. that much is certain, but not to Aspen apparently.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen believes there is a angel named Lucifer that fell and became Satan. Aspen believes we can follow his path to Hell by only looking after ourselves instead of loving God and neighbor. Satan is a cautionary tale, not a god.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The Bible doesn't address ancient Celtic traditions or modern-day traditions related to the former.

So, how about we agree to disagree and then move on.