Character

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe that for one minute. I think the people have got what they deserve. But that's just my opinion and I am as entitled to it as you are to yours.
Since you're from the UK the leadership there is even more pathetic than anywhere else. Dithering over Brexit is just one example. Totally unprincipled politicians. Did the Brits get what they deserved? It sure looks like the Canadians got what they deserved in clueless Trudeau.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that for one minute. I think the people have got what they deserve. But that's just my opinion and I am as entitled to it as you are to yours.
The people got what they deserve? Which people you are referring to

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much weight do you place in a person’s character when voting for our leaders?
If you do value good character in your choice of leader, how do you respond to their bad behavior?

If you ignore bad behavior in the person you elected to office, do you make an issue of bad character traits in leaders you do not agree with?

I am guessing that a popular strategy is to ignore bad character in leaders we vote for - because members of our tribe cannot have bad character because they are members of our tribe! And the opposite happens when it is a leader from another tribe in power.

For those who are honest and have this insight into themselves, why do you do it? How do you avoid feeling like a hypocrite? Is it a fear thing - you have a hard time admitting that the short term benefits out weight the long term results? Is it that bad character is worth the long term benefits - the right judges will be put in place, the right regulations will be abolished? Do you just want to ‘stick it’ to government?

I really want to know.

Like many other Christians I overlooked Trump's inconsistencies. I went along with the reasoning: "At least he's better than Hillary!" I read and listened to all the pastors who idolized Trump, fawned over him, and initially appeared as if he was what we'd all prayed for. A "Moses." But then I read that at a rally in NY with police, he told them that they should "rough people up" and "knock their heads around" to the delight of the police who cheered him. Anyone with knowledge about psychology knows that certain positions of power, such as police officer, attracts psychopaths (see Forbes Magazine "Top ten jobs that attract psychopaths). So what did the psychopaths in attendance need other than license from the premier office in the land, to abuse the populace? That isn't something a Christian would say. It was irresponsible. Anyone who reads the news knows that we have an epidemic of police shootings and police brutality. (Not all of course: we have really nice police in our city, but the fact remains that it's been definitively proven that the job itself attracts psychopaths.)

Then other things turned me off about Trump - he lied a lot. I heard so many pastors gloss over his lying and bad character, and make excuses for him: "he's a baby Christian" and other things. But then when I heard him on tape claim to be a Freemason I knew he was an imposter: Freemasonry is satanic.

So yes, character means everything. I don't like it when Christians are snooty and look down their nose at everyone - that's the opposite end of the spectrum - but Christians are supposed to have character that reflects Christ - or at least seem to be developing that way. I think we have to be very careful not to gloss over inconsistencies, or make excuses for someone. I began following Pastor Chuck Baldwin who has spoken out about all the Christians who are fawning over Trump even as he lies again and again and again. He's continued the endless wars, hasn't defunded Planned Parenthood, hasn't done away with NAFTA (he's re-negotiating it alright: Trump is a master at sleight-of-hand - it will be just as bad or worse), hasn't prosecuted wrongdoers in high places, and has packed his cabinet with globalist swamp creatures. In short: he's a black-hearted liar. In short, he's known as "controlled opposition." He was put there to fool the Christian right into thinking they have a champion, as he continues what his predecessors have started: surrendering America's sovereignty to the United Nations. Betsy DeVos is another plant - but so many Christians continue to turn a blind eye to what is going on before their eyes. The mind has many ways to dodge reality and truth, yet that is what God calls us to. Throughout my years of being a Christian I've encountered a fair number of Christians who lie - to others and to themselves - and we're seeing a number of Christian "leaders" lying to the public and lying to themselves about Trump.

I'm not sure our votes even count anymore, but I'm voting independent. I don't see a real lot of difference in the parties - they're both irresponsible and both have led America to the brink of disaster. Unless there is some Revival that spreads across the land I think America is done - and probably to a large extent because we let good character fall by the wayside. I don't like how America has become.

Matthew 7:13

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:”

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My comment comes from the fact that Trump fights for, rather than against making America great. But also because I have met him and talked with him and he is not what the enemies in the media make him out to be. That is not my opinion, but my witness.

Reactions: Willie T

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Like many other Christians I overlooked Trump's inconsistencies. I went along with the reasoning: "At least he's better than Hillary!" I read and listened to all the pastors who idolized Trump, fawned over him, and initially appeared as if he was what we'd all prayed for. A "Moses." But then I read that at a rally in NY with police, he told them that they should "rough people up" and "knock their heads around" to the delight of the police who cheered him. Anyone with knowledge about psychology knows that certain positions of power, such as police officer, attracts psychopaths (see Forbes Magazine "Top ten jobs that attract psychopaths). So what did the psychopaths in attendance need other than license from the premier office in the land, to abuse the populace? That isn't something a Christian would say. It was irresponsible. Anyone who reads the news knows that we have an epidemic of police shootings and police brutality. (Not all of course: we have really nice police in our city, but the fact remains that it's been definitively proven that the job itself attracts psychopaths.)

Then other things turned me off about Trump - he lied a lot. I heard so many pastors gloss over his lying and bad character, and make excuses for him: "he's a baby Christian" and other things. But then when I heard him on tape claim to be a Freemason I knew he was an imposter: Freemasonry is satanic.

So yes, character means everything. I don't like it when Christians are snooty and look down their nose at everyone - that's the opposite end of the spectrum - but Christians are supposed to have character that reflects Christ - or at least seem to be developing that way. I think we have to be very careful not to gloss over inconsistencies, or make excuses for someone. I began following Pastor Chuck Baldwin who has spoken out about all the Christians who are fawning over Trump even as he lies again and again and again. He's continued the endless wars, hasn't defunded Planned Parenthood, hasn't done away with NAFTA (he's re-negotiating it alright: Trump is a master at sleight-of-hand - it will be just as bad or worse), hasn't prosecuted wrongdoers in high places, and has packed his cabinet with globalist swamp creatures. In short: he's a black-hearted liar. In short, he's known as "controlled opposition." He was put there to fool the Christian right into thinking they have a champion, as he continues what his predecessors have started: surrendering America's sovereignty to the United Nations. Betsy DeVos is another plant - but so many Christians continue to turn a blind eye to what is going on before their eyes. The mind has many ways to dodge reality and truth, yet that is what God calls us to. Throughout my years of being a Christian I've encountered a fair number of Christians who lie - to others and to themselves - and we're seeing a number of Christian "leaders" lying to the public and lying to themselves about Trump.

I'm not sure our votes even count anymore, but I'm voting independent. I don't see a real lot of difference in the parties - they're both irresponsible and both have led America to the brink of disaster. Unless there is some Revival that spreads across the land I think America is done - and probably to a large extent because we let good character fall by the wayside. I don't like how America has become.

“Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:”
I clicked 'like' but I wish there was a 'hurray' icon to click. Well said. My US friends would agree with you too.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How much weight do you place in a person’s character when voting for our leaders?
If you do value good character in your choice of leader, how do you respond to their bad behavior?

If you ignore bad behavior in the person you elected to office, do you make an issue of bad character traits in leaders you do not agree with?

I am guessing that a popular strategy is to ignore bad character in leaders we vote for - because members of our tribe cannot have bad character because they are members of our tribe! And the opposite happens when it is a leader from another tribe in power.

For those who are honest and have this insight into themselves, why do you do it? How do you avoid feeling like a hypocrite? Is it a fear thing - you have a hard time admitting that the short term benefits out weight the long term results? Is it that bad character is worth the long term benefits - the right judges will be put in place, the right regulations will be abolished? Do you just want to ‘stick it’ to government?

I really want to know.

Another good topic aspen! I can't say that my method is the correct one, but here's how I 'do it'!
I look at a number of things. Are they a Church leader or a Politician? Are they a Christian or not?
If they are a Politician and do not claim to be a Christian, I do not judge them by that standard. I look at their Party's policies, their personally held beliefs in regards to those policies and how they've held true to them. If those policies are as close to what I, as a Christian believe, then I'll throw my vote their way...and I think that's probably as best as I can do with a secular system.
If they are a Church leader who is a Christian...then I most certainly hold them to Christian standards. They've known going into leadership that that is a requirement, as hard as it is. There is forgiveness and encouragement to be had, of course, but we do require a certain biblical standard from them.
Now...things do get a big tricky if its a Politician who claims to be a Christian. I sometimes wonder if such a creature exists! The amount of compromise they must bow to in their work...yikes! But...I think it should be no different. They claim a higher Lord than the law. So I think if you have a Pollie who says he loves Jesus but approves abortion...he's sold out, and needs to be kicked out of his seat.
That's my take on it!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that all three — Politician, Police, and Clergy — are listed as jobs that attract psychopaths? (That is according to the "Forbes" list our resident "Conspiracy Nut" just posted about.)

Reactions: Waiting on him

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that all three — Politician, Police, and Clergy — are listed as jobs that attract psychopaths? (That is according to the "Forbes" list our resident "Conspiracy Nut" just posted about.)

Smart psychopaths go to Wall Street, average ones go into the ministry

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would a Christian want to rule the dung heap?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is not the job description.

We didn't elect a swell pastor type for a lovely day in the neighborhood. We elected a pit bull, a fighter to do a dirty job. That's the current political climate. That's the job. By your description, sounds like he's perfect!

But, hey, hang on to that job description...so when it is actually a beautiful day in the neighborhood, maybe you can pull it back out.

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Soverign Grace,

It's good to read you again. You're still being name-called the "resident 'Conspiracy Nut'" for your opinions I see, heh...well, I guess I am one too, so now there's two of us again; if there's any more, soon we'll be a group of nuts (I'm holding back a self-degrading joke here, actually a couple of them...).

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I clicked 'like' but I wish there was a 'hurray' icon to click. Well said. My US friends would agree with you too.

Hi Pearl,

What's your viewpoint on Boris Johnson over in the UK?

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I really want to know.

I'm a bit different: I've never voted for any political leader; none has been good enough for me. I'm not for demo(N)cracy nor a republic like I was conditioned to be for when I was in grade school - high school. I'm for a theocracy, specifically for a king named Jesus Christ - none will ever match that for me, so I don't vote. I hope this world, this kingdom of satan, burns down, and Jesus' kingdom is built on the ashes, as the book of Revelation states (as I interpret it).

I have no idea how anyone supports someone like Trump, with all of his "grabbing by the" talk, and mocking disabled people (Donald Trump Criticized for Mocking Disabled Reporter), and boasting, on and on and on. Even from a non-religious viewpoint, I wouldn't want to be around someone with an ego that large.

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arrogance in the pulpit is coveted by lots of congregations, mistaking it for confidence and ‘right thinking’.

How about political leaders, rocky?

I would add-on to your statement with, and I detest thinking this, pride. Pride is rampant these days, even with Christians, from pride of religion to pride of country to pride of material possessions/looks. Arrogance plus pride can make for a real bad combination, sometimes even leading to being deceived.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a bit different: I've never voted for any political leader; none has been good enough for me. I'm not for demo(N)cracy nor a republic like I was conditioned to be for when I was in grade school - high school. I'm for a theocracy, specifically for a king named Jesus Christ - none will ever match that for me, so I don't vote. I hope this world, this kingdom of satan, burns down, and Jesus' kingdom is built on the ashes, as the book of Revelation states (as I interpret it).

I have no idea how anyone supports someone like Trump, with all of his "grabbing by the" talk, and mocking disabled people (Donald Trump Criticized for Mocking Disabled Reporter), and boasting, on and on and on. Even from a non-religious viewpoint, I wouldn't want to be around someone with an ego that large.
The only thing you got right in that mini-rant was the part about him having an ego. Truth is, all politicians seem to, he is just honest and open about his. The other two points are so wrong that it is probably good you don't vote.... being so misinformed.