Cherry picking in the garden of Eden

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 31:6
Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;

That's an odd thing for your God to say.
Believe it or not my friend the Bible does NOT specifically forbid the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Perhaps the strongest verses in this regard would be these:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" Eph 5:18

"For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:" I Peter 4:3

What it is teaching is moderation and control rather than excessive license and lack of control. Some people will read into that 'teatotalling', but I don't believe that is God's message to men.

See also these words written by the Apostle Paul:

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." I Tim 5:23

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe it or not my friend the Bible does NOT specifically forbid the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Perhaps the strongest verses in this regard would be these:

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" Eph 5:18

"For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:" I Peter 4:3

What it is teaching is moderation and control rather than excessive license and lack of control. Some people will read into that 'teatotalling', but I don't believe that is God's message to men.

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." I Tim 5:23

Psalm 104:14-15
"He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate-- bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts."

Yes Amadeus, it is all in "moderation and control ". He has given us ALL things that are intrinsically good but sadly, most in this world become consumed by them because of lack of self control, gluttony, greed...and that is when these "good" things become sinful.
In His Name Always!

Reactions: amadeus

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;
Proverbs is a book of wise sayings written by King Solomon.They are the observations of the wise King.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 104:14-15
"He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate-- bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts."

Yes Amadeus, it is all in "moderation and control ". He has given us ALL things that are intrinsically good but sadly, most in this world become consumed by them because of lack of self control, gluttony, greed...and that is when these "good" things become sinful.
In His Name Always!
Absolutely! Coca Cola that quite popular drink over the decades may indeed be worse for a person than beer taken in the same quantity... Lost in my computer someplace is a study on it sent to me by a friend several years ago.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

1. What does this have to do with cherry picking in the garden of Eden?

2. You have taken verse 6 out of context. It is actually a condemnation of wine and strong drink.

KINGS (AND PRIESTS) FORBIDDEN TO DRINK WINE & STRONG DRINK
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

ALCOHOL MAKES KINGS LAWLESS AND PERVERTS SOUND JUDGMENT
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

ALCOHOL IS A POISON AND ALSO A NUMBING AGENT
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

ALCOHOL ALLOWS PEOPLE TO TEMPORARILY FORGET THEIR TROUBLES
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Biblical wines were quite different from modern hard liquor, and that term is also applied to either unfermented grape juice, or grape juice concentrate. And since God's children are also kings and priests, they are forbidden strong drinks. That's the lesson from this passage.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
1. What does this have to do with cherry picking in the garden of Eden?

2. You have taken verse 6 out of context. It is actually a condemnation of wine and strong drink.

KINGS (AND PRIESTS) FORBIDDEN TO DRINK WINE & STRONG DRINK
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

ALCOHOL MAKES KINGS LAWLESS AND PERVERTS SOUND JUDGMENT
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

ALCOHOL IS A POISON AND ALSO A NUMBING AGENT
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

ALCOHOL ALLOWS PEOPLE TO TEMPORARILY FORGET THEIR TROUBLES
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Biblical wines were quite different from modern hard liquor, and that term is also applied to either unfermented grape juice, or grape juice concentrate. And since God's children are also kings and priests, they are forbidden strong drinks. That's the lesson from this passage.
What are you? A Mormon?

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia

Jesus drank lots of wine, did he not? Everywhere he went for a meal, he enjoyed the warm buzz of a cup of wine.

It only takes one cup.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus drank lots of wine, did he not? Everywhere he went for a meal, he enjoyed the warm buzz of a cup of wine.

It only takes one cup.
Don't read more into it than what is there.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

ok I goota...arg, similar to gotta, only from someone who is very blond and whit I guess lol, this keybpoard is shredding me
anyway I gotta call foul here, you say "their God" but they are mostly tee-totalers?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"...and if skimming through the first chapter of this book has taught me anything…" lol

just heard on some little kids cartoon, swear to Allah, on Cartoon Network, gotta track that one down now sigh
I would let my kids watch it
if I hadn't eaten them already anyway

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"...and if skimming through the first chapter of this book has taught me anything…" lol

just heard on some little kids cartoon, swear to Allah, on Cartoon Network, gotta track that one down now sigh
I would let my kids watch it
if I hadn't eaten them already anyway
TAG
"craig of the creek"
never heard of it even