Choosing one above the other

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snaggs

Dec 21, 2006
I have always been left wondering about how the Lord tried the troops that were with Gideon just before the victory over the Midianites. Judg 7:5So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. 6And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water. 7And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Mid'i-anites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.This has puzzled me for years...The story of Gideon appears to me, to be a description of the last battle when the Sons of God are displayed in Glory at the breaking of the pitchers in verse 20, but, how the Lord chose the 300 men to go into the battle with Gideon.(Christ figure type)has remained a puzzle to me for years, I can not find a comparison with the way the men chose to drink the water.?? Or, why one would be chosen above the other, we know the symbolism of the water...yet the manner of which the men drank of Christ had an outcome on who was chosen?Drinking the water from the hand was chosen above drinking strait from the flowing stream?Anybody dare to respond as to why..??

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
(snaggs;5815)
I have always been left wondering about how the Lord tried the troops that were with Gideon just before the victory over the Midianites. Judg 7:5So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. 6And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water. 7And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Mid'i-anites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.This has puzzled me for years...The story of Gideon appears to me, to be a description of the last battle when the Sons of God are displayed in Glory at the breaking of the pitchers in verse 20, but, how the Lord chose the 300 men to go into the battle with Gideon.(Christ figure type)has remained a puzzle to me for years, I can not find a comparison with the way the men chose to drink the water.?? Or, why one would be chosen above the other, we know the symbolism of the water...yet the manner of which the men drank of Christ had an outcome on who was chosen?Drinking the water from the hand was chosen above drinking strait from the flowing stream?Anybody dare to respond as to why..??
Snaggs, thanks for posting this. I agree; lapping water; at first I thought when I orginally read it was that the lappers were less intelligent. That was my first impression. I never heard of a human lapping water.But the point of the story was that God wanted to eliminate more men so that Gideon and everyone would know that the Lord won the battle when it was over. God wanted the credit for the battle being won not the men.fighting.Then I kinda thought that the lappers as opposed to the ones that cupped their hands was a minor point but maybe not as you suggest...it does seem that had it not been that important; why was so much detail brought out about it?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(ROS777;5828)
Snaggs, thanks for posting this. I agree; lapping water; at first I thought when I orginally read it was that the lappers were less intelligent. That was my first impression. I never heard of a human lapping water.But the point of the story was that God wanted to eliminate more men so that Gideon and everyone would know that the Lord won the battle when it was over. God wanted the credit for the battle being won not the men.fighting.Then I kinda thought that the lappers as opposed to the ones that cupped their hands was a minor point but maybe not as you suggest...it does seem that had it not been that important; why was so much detail brought out about it?
The lappers would have to put their weapons down and look down in order to drink while those that used their hand could be holding their weapons in the other hand or if they used both hands to drink they were at least still allert, watching for the enemy. They were ready to fight.

snaggs

Dec 21, 2006
(tomwebster;5829)
The lappers would have to put their weapons down and look down in order to drink while those that used their hand could be holding their weapons in the other hand or if they used both hands to drink they were at least still allert, watching for the enemy. They were ready to fight.
that is by far the best Answer that I have heard or read, I was looking for some moral or ethical symbolence, yet there actually is some wisdom, shrewdness "if you will" to take into consideration..we drink the water prepared for battle !! I really like that tom !! thank you
smile.gif

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like what Tom had to say on the matter as well as what the Companion Bible notes in that getting down on one's knees is often how idols were worshipped. Those that got on their knees - both in the physical and spiritual sense - let their guard down and put themselves in a vulnerable position. Think about what the position of being down on ones knees and drinking the water implies - the humiliation of the action verses those that brought the water to them.

snaggs

Dec 21, 2006
(SwampFox;5843)
I like what Tom had to say on the matter as well as what the Companion Bible notes in that getting down on one's knees is often how idols were worshipped. Those that got on their knees - both in the physical and spiritual sense - let their guard down and put themselves in a vulnerable position. Think about what the position of being down on ones knees and drinking the water implies - the humiliation of the action verses those that brought the water to them.
For some reason I couildn't see the other side of the wall I was stuck behind, I was thinking the ones on thier knees were showing an act of humillity, that would be of higher spiritual value at the waters of Christ. yet,..now I see the value in the battle ready, and "always aware" state of spiritual need that Christ had chosen to defeaf the Midianites. That speaks volumes to these last days ..... and the ready and aware state that we must be in..!! Prais God:)

ROS777

Sep 21, 2006
(lastsecman;5851)
i was thinking that because those men drank more like humans rather than animals, therefore God preferred them better than the others...because God created us in His image, which is holy, rather than like animals, which is beastly.
I agree. Cupping one's hands to drink water doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't stoop down or kneel down to drink from a stream or river. Unless one is standing in the river. Shrugs...(And maybe they were standing in the river.)And , "seeing the enemy" doesn't quite sound right-not saying it's wrong-just unconvinced that cupping to hold water ( hands make a very poor cup )that would could hold a weapon or that there wasn't watchmen to watch while many drank water? Okay, it could be as Tomwebster said; but I have my doubts. My gut feeling is that there's more to it.

snaggs

Dec 21, 2006
(ROS777;5856)
I agree. Cupping one's hands to drink water doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't stoop down or kneel down to drink from a stream or river. Unless one is standing in the river. Shrugs...(And maybe they were standing in the river.)And , "seeing the enemy" doesn't quite sound right-not saying it's wrong-just unconvinced that cupping to hold water ( hands make a very poor cup )that would could hold a weapon or that there wasn't watchmen to watch while many drank water? Okay, it could be as Tomwebster said; but I have my doubts. My gut feeling is that there's more to it.
Yes..I see your point...tomwebster's ..post made the best sence that I have yet to hear, but, I can see your point ! it wouldn't be that much of an issue, how one drank his water in a batallion of warriors! certainly..when it came time to eat there would be a protocall for watchmen to be set. additionly...after thinking about the hand method.....one would still be compelled to use bothe hands to cup the water, needing to put down, or, let go of the weapon. yes! there may be more to it??
sad.gif