Christ-mas?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zeth4500

Dec 24, 2023
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
whats your guys thoughts on christmas?
this is a bit controversial- it was supposedly a christian holiday long ago but was since merged with pagan traditions

i tried to go to church today- orthodox church but they didnt have any sunday celebration going
i looked up what other churches were open and i say "christmas celebration" and i decided to not even go because i dont personally feel its christian

to me what makes it not christian is that its celebrated with materialism and its celebrated by so many people who are by no means christian. you also usually eat a lot of food which is gluttony- a major sin
and then all the presents, targeting the kids to make them hooked on the materialistic mindset at a young age- infecting them with satanic mindset- which i- was also guilty of when i was a small child. i remember i cried because i was angry i didnt get the <right> videogame. i was always ungrateful child, maybe christmas helped manifest that in me?
and honestly - i never liked christmas food. i was always a very honest person and i always disliked christmas apart from the presents when i was a little child, it just always felt very off to me

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you mean; the worldly commercialization has nothing to do with Christ. A lot of people feel it's necessary to celebrate the Lord's birth; that's fine if they want to but I don't see why it has to be on a date that is one of the biggest pagan holidays. It seems to me it's one of those traditions people haven't really thought much about; it's just something that's been done every year for centuries and that's good enough.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If your celebrations and focus at this time of the year are on Jesus birth and the Saviour he is then that is in no way pagan. God sees our hearts, he knows our thoughts, he can see that we are celebrating the birth of His Son whatever some people may say to take it away from us. Do not be swayed by these wring thoughts, carry on loving and celebrating the birth of our King - the King of kings.

Zeth4500

Dec 24, 2023
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
If your celebrations and focus at this time of the year are on Jesus birth and the Saviour he is then that is in no way pagan. God sees our hearts, he knows our thoughts, he can see that we are celebrating the birth of His Son whatever some people may say to take it away from us. Do not be swayed by these wring thoughts, carry on loving and celebrating the birth of our King - the King of kings.
yes i understand- but we must worship in truth, and good intentions cannot make an untruth- become truth

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your post.
The best communities in the world practice Love Thy Neighbor (or an approximation) even if they are not familiar with the commandment’s characteristics: Sharing and Caring, Kindness and Gentleness, centering on nuclear families. (See also Romans 2: 14,15 and Acts 28: 1-7).

Unfortunately, our base nature gets in the way: self-centeredness, coveting, etc.

During the Christmas season—Advent—secular people and Christians try a bit harder to exemplify Love Thy Neighbor, such as through extra food & meals for the needy, toys collected for the needy (lifting children’s spirits), trying to be a bit kinder to all, etc.

We should commend secular people for practicing Love Thy Neighbor, and let them know it that was an essential part of the gospel message from Jesus and His Apostles.

One of the concepts these secular people are missing is Grace, especially learning to forgive those who have hurt them. If we can convince them to turn to God (with the help of the Holy Spirit), they too can join the Kingdom of God.

Peace!

Reactions: Philip James

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
whats your guys thoughts on christmas?
this is a bit controversial- it was supposedly a christian holiday long ago but was since merged with pagan traditions

i tried to go to church today- orthodox church but they didnt have any sunday celebration going
i looked up what other churches were open and i say "christmas celebration" and i decided to not even go because i dont personally feel its christian

to me what makes it not christian is that its celebrated with materialism and its celebrated by so many people who are by no means christian. you also usually eat a lot of food which is gluttony- a major sin
and then all the presents, targeting the kids to make them hooked on the materialistic mindset at a young age- infecting them with satanic mindset- which i- was also guilty of when i was a small child. i remember i cried because i was angry i didnt get the <right> videogame. i was always ungrateful child, maybe christmas helped manifest that in me?
and honestly - i never liked christmas food. i was always a very honest person and i always disliked christmas apart from the presents when i was a little child, it just always felt very off to me
All your reasons are valid. but that does not mean we cannot celebrate the birth of Jesus on 12/25. Just not the way the world does.

During the roman persecutions, the early church would come out and celebrate each other and Christ while th eRoman world was celebrating Saturnalia and the solstice and Bacchus. They could do so while not in hiding.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't think... Just enjoy... The World goes along with it.... so can you... The Truth has already set you free... why do you try to craw back into the cage???

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's kinda like the Saturday sabbath thing... why rest and worship on Saturday when you can do this everyday?

The same is true for Christmas... why wait till Dec 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus when you can do this everyday?