Christ only died for past sins...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Christ's sacrifice only count for past sins?

• Only past sins are forgiven. We must maintain our salvation by not sinning.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Christ's sacrifice was all sufficient for all of the believers sins.

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So I've been encountering this position a lot lately, that Christ's once-for-all sacrifice at Calvary only covers the past sins of Christians. Such a position is held by a number of believers in Christ who seem to think that Christ's eternal sacrifice is in some way, shape or form, insufficient to cover the sins of a person throughout the duration of their lifetime, and fails to regenerate them for the life to come should they accidentally sin. I will now delve into why I think this argument fails to hold water and also why I believe it is borderline heresy in that it removes the focus of salvation off of Christ and places it upon the good, law abiding behavior of the person.

"The root of every heresy in history is adding something of our own to the work of Christ."
~ Charles Spurgeon

It is an axiomic assertion that every single human being on earth has, at one time or another, committed sin against God, whether intentionally or unintentionally. That's just a fact of life that the bible testifies for in Romans 3:22-24 (all have sinned an fallen short of the glory of God). Excluding Jesus Christ, of course, which is why His sacrifice for sin was acceptable to God. And so it follows that if Jesus' sacrifice on the cross does not get rid of our future sins, then I fail to see how anyone can be saved, because everyone falls short in their own way.

It is usually at this time that 1 John 3:6 is presented, which states: "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him."

And that's a fair rebuttal. But I believe it is talking about those who headstrongly persist in sin without feeling any remorse whatsoever. It is not talking about the sins we commit unintentionally, in the flair up of our thoughts and desires, of omission and under duress. If anyone thinks they are walking flawlessly before God, in that God is so pleased with him or her that He couldn't offer any word of improvement to that person... I'd conclude that that person is deluded by a self-righteous spirit. There is always room to improve on holiness in this life. Always.

James 2:10-11
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

Now, in order to be saved by The Law, one is required to follow the law perfectly. Sinning before becoming a Christian therefore disqualifies any person from being sinless in God's sight. It's over before it begins. Not to mention that our savior took this one step further and told us that being angry with a brother or hating on a sister is the same as being a murderer in God's sight. With a glance we may commit adultery. With a single covetous thought we may steal. So can anyone reading this right now honestly and in good conscience tell me that they only have thoughts that are perfect and flawless before God? Forgive me for doubting you, but it seems unlikely. After all, if we could be so perfect before God, then why did Jesus even need to come at all?

Now, I take umbrage at the term "hyper-grace" (or worse) "greasy grace," that some people use when they talk about what Christ accomplished. It's borderline blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. It is irreverent. As if the grace of God presented in Jesus Christ's sacrifice was not the ultimate expression of love to His people and the world. As if Christ's infinitely majestic sacrifice was incapable of being regarded as the ultimate act of mercy throughout history that ever has and ever will occur. The crowning work of eternity. Yes it really is that good. It is beyond our ability to capture just how good it is. Please don't use these terms.

Galatians 3:10-12
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”

Let's say we have someone who doesn't think that Jesus could possibly take away all her sins and that she must maintain her status pre-glorification. Let's say she takes a walk to work, meets an individual at the bus loop, and fails to tell them about Jesus when she feels the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

She has now committed a sin of omission. Her slate is tarnished. She is immediately struck and killed by the bus. She believes in Jesus Christ as her Lord and savior, but she failed to confess and repent of the sin of omission she just committed at the bus stop. My question to those who think that Jesus only saves from past sins is this: "is she saved?" Because this position is pretty much legalism defined. I coin the phrase "revolving door salvationism"

Thank you for reading and may God bless you today. Hebrews 10:12-14

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Nancy

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The position that Jesus died for past sins is a biblical one.

Romans 3:25
King James Version

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

2 Peter 1:9
King James Version

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

I think that asking about technicalities is not the right attitude when the Bible clearly says that we should strive against sin and resist it.

But no, one unrepentant of sin does not send you to hell. A heart of unbelief does, however. And Hebrews talks about sin leading to unbelief.

I don't think one unrepentant sin does it. But a lifestyle of sin is clearly shown in the Bible to be a product of unbelief.

Why not just heed the warnings of Scripture rather than looking for reasons why we can't avoid sin?

1 John 3:8
King James Version

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Lets not water this down. Lets just let this sink in, stop making excuses, and resist sin like Jesus did.
Is He going to throw you into hell over a single sin? No. But a lifestyle of sin leads to unbelief. So every sin must go.

If you realize you sin, confess it, repenting to the Lord. And keep on going.

None of this, oh this shifts the focus onto us and not God business. The appropriate response to God is obedience. I can find that position in Scripture.

I challenge those who disagree to find it in Scripture.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So I've been encountering this position a lot lately, that Christ's once-for-all sacrifice at Calvary only covers the past sins of Christians.
I believe you may be misunderstanding the issue. The penalty for all sins was paid at Calvary. Those who believe are forgiven of all their past sins. But they must still address their present sins, since the remission of sins is based upon repentance (Acts 3:19). This does not mean that all sins were not covered at Calvary. But God expects us to deal with our present sins.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But God expects us to deal with our present sins.

As much as I agree with this statement, it comes off as you being a proponent of sinless perfectionism. I already mentioned why this is impossible.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I've been encountering this position a lot lately, that Christ's once-for-all sacrifice at Calvary only covers the past sins of Christians. Such a position is held by a number of believers in Christ who seem to think that Christ's eternal sacrifice is in some way, shape or form, insufficient to cover the sins of a person throughout the duration of their lifetime, and fails to regenerate them for the life to come should they accidentally sin. I will now delve into why I think this argument fails to hold water and also why I believe it is borderline heresy in that it removes the focus of salvation off of Christ and places it upon the good, law abiding behavior of the person.

"The root of every heresy in history is adding something of our own to the work of Christ."
~ Charles Spurgeon

It is an axiomic assertion that every single human being on earth has, at one time or another, committed sin against God, whether intentionally or unintentionally. That's just a fact of life that the bible testifies for in Romans 3:22-24 (all have sinned an fallen short of the glory of God). Excluding Jesus Christ, of course, which is why His sacrifice for sin was acceptable to God. And so it follows that if Jesus' sacrifice on the cross does not get rid of our future sins, then I fail to see how anyone can be saved, because everyone falls short in their own way.

It is usually at this time that 1 John 3:6 is presented, which states: "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him."

And that's a fair rebuttal. But I believe it is talking about those who headstrongly persist in sin without feeling any remorse whatsoever. It is not talking about the sins we commit unintentionally, in the flair up of our thoughts and desires, of omission and under duress. If anyone thinks they are walking flawlessly before God, in that God is so pleased with him or her that He couldn't offer any word of improvement to that person... I'd conclude that that person is deluded by a self-righteous spirit. There is always room to improve on holiness in this life. Always.

James 2:10-11
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

Now, in order to be saved by The Law, one is required to follow the law perfectly. Sinning before becoming a Christian therefore disqualifies any person from being sinless in God's sight. It's over before it begins. Not to mention that our savior took this one step further and told us that being angry with a brother or hating on a sister is the same as being a murderer in God's sight. With a glance we may commit adultery. With a single covetous thought we may steal. So can anyone reading this right now honestly and in good conscience tell me that they only have thoughts that are perfect and flawless before God? Forgive me for doubting you, but it seems unlikely. After all, if we could be so perfect before God, then why did Jesus even need to come at all?

Now, I take umbrage at the term "hyper-grace" (or worse) "greasy grace," that some people use when they talk about what Christ accomplished. It's borderline blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. It is irreverent. As if the grace of God presented in Jesus Christ's sacrifice was not the ultimate expression of love to His people and the world. As if Christ's infinitely majestic sacrifice was incapable of being regarded as the ultimate act of mercy throughout history that ever has and ever will occur. The crowning work of eternity. Yes it really is that good. It is beyond our ability to capture just how good it is. Please don't use these terms.

Galatians 3:10-12
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”

Let's say we have someone who doesn't think that Jesus could possibly take away all her sins and that she must maintain her status pre-glorification. Let's say she takes a walk to work, meets an individual at the bus loop, and fails to tell them about Jesus when she feels the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

She has now committed a sin of omission. Her slate is tarnished. She is immediately struck and killed by the bus. She believes in Jesus Christ as her Lord and savior, but she failed to confess and repent of the sin of omission she just committed at the bus stop. My question to those who think that Jesus only saves from past sins is this: "is she saved?" Because this position is pretty much legalism defined. I coin the phrase "revolving door salvationism"

Thank you for reading and may God bless you today. Hebrews 10:12-14
Missionaries who go to remote corners of the heathen world.....what do they tell people? Isn't it the good news that their sins are forgiven....isn't it that God does not count their trespasses against them.....isn't it that they are loved....and love does not keep a record of wrongs as 1 Corinthians 13 tells us.....or does it mean he keeps a record of some wrongs??? ...and is waiting to have his revenge??

Or do we make sure we can control people by reinforcing their low self esteem, by reminding them that forgiveness is extracted from God by keeping his unspeakable promise of love in the distance and his burning anger ever present unless they perform???

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is borderline heresy in that it removes the focus of salvation off of Christ and places it upon the good, law abiding behavior of the person.
Of course that's what it does!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone thinks they are walking flawlessly before God, in that God is so pleased with him or her that He couldn't offer any word of improvement to that person... I'd conclude that that person is deluded by a self-righteous spirit. There is always room to improve on holiness in this life. Always.
I agree. The real difference between the person who acknowledges sin remaining in them, and the one who does not, is entirely a matter of self-awareness.

Someone who believes you must remain sinless will have a vested interest in not seeing their sins. Or excusing them. Making those kinds of sin ones that don't count.

As if the grace of God presented in Jesus Christ's sacrifice was not the ultimate expression of love to His people and the world. As if Christ's infinitely majestic sacrifice was incapable of being regarded as the ultimate act of mercy throughout history that ever has and ever will occur. The crowning work of eternity. Yes it really is that good. It is beyond our ability to capture just how good it is. Please don't use these terms.

Just so!! This is NOT greasy!

Much love!

Reactions: friend of

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
This is speaking of a person who forgets that they have been forgiven of sins they've already committed. But this does not teach us that some sins are not forgiven.

Jesus said all sin will be forgiven man except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which the Bible defines as those who saw Jesus' miracles claiming He did them by an unclean spirit, calling the Holy Spirit a demon.

God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses against them. Behold the Lamb of God Who carries away the sin of the world.

Why not just heed the warnings of Scripture rather than looking for reasons why we can't avoid sin?
That's not the point. Legalistic thinking - that our salvation is dependent on our ability to always obey - works directly against us. It makes it harder for us to obey because our flesh becomes incited to rebel.

The real avoidance of sin is found in God's grace, His forgiveness of sins, and giving to us Jesus.

Much love!

Reactions: friend of

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you may be misunderstanding the issue. The penalty for all sins was paid at Calvary. Those who believe are forgiven of all their past sins. But they must still address their present sins, since the remission of sins is based upon repentance (Acts 3:19). This does not mean that all sins were not covered at Calvary. But God expects us to deal with our present sins.
Get re-reconciled?

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Get re-reconciled?
Those who received Christ as Lord and Savior were instantly reconciled to God through the death of His Son. They were redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. However, Christians can and do sin, and the Bible tells us what to do:

1 JOHN 1: FELLOWSHIP IS NOT ABOUT SALVATION
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us
our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who received Christ as Lord and Savior were instantly reconciled to God through the death of His Son. They were redeemed by the blood of the Lamb.
So then, how reconciled are we?

This passage is about how to become a Christian. To be redeemed, forgiven.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you know what reconciliation means? It means that your enmity to God (as a sinner) was extinguished when you believed. You are no longer an enemy of God and Christ.
Absolutely not! How can you even misunderstand such a plain passage? It is addressed to children of God, since only the children of God can have fellowship with God. But sin in the believer breaks fellowship. It does not end salvation. So to restore fellowship you must confess your sins and turn away from them. Deal with your present sins. All your past sins were forgiven when God justified you by His grace and you repented of all your PAST sins.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John says== I am writing to you, little children, because your sins """have been""" forgiven you for His name’s sake. 1 John 2:12
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Rom. 8:1
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. Heb. 10:14==PTL ALL the sins of believers are paid for and forgiven.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus says== I am writing to you, little children, because your sins """have been""" forgiven you for His name’s sake. 1 John 2:12
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Rom. 8:1
For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. Heb. 10:14==PTL ALL the sins of believers are paid for and forgiven.
Actually john said . BUT THEY WERE SPIRIT INSPIRED . As is every wonderous and glorious Word in that beautiful bible is .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what reconciliation means? It means that your enmity to God (as a sinner) was extinguished when you believed. You are no longer an enemy of God and Christ.

Absolutely not! How can you even misunderstand such a plain passage? It is addressed to children of God, since only the children of God can have fellowship with God. But sin in the believer breaks fellowship. It does not end salvation. So to restore fellowship you must confess your sins and turn away from them. Deal with your present sins. All your past sins were forgiven when God justified you by His grace and you repented of all your PAST sins.
Speaking of reconcilation . The churches are now under a false reconcilation . JUST thought you might like to know that . Though you might
already know it .
THINK about it . Their new gospel is all about reconcilation , BUT OF Man with man . THEY DONT PREACH JESUS or SOUND DOCTRINE .
They instead just preach LETS ALL BE ONE , LETS ALL BE RECONCILED TO ONE ANOTHER . AND Even with other religoins .
ROME IS A LIE . That sounds harsh , but oh well . I SAY IT AGAIN . THE RCC IS ALIE and so are most of all our protestant
sold out to ROME LIE churches . What a fake dead evil unity and a false dead fake love .
BUT be happy . I WILL DO what few are willing to do . EXPOSE IT ALL . FOR MY LOVE IS FOR CHRIST AND FOR THE PEOPLE .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
So why do the fake love , false love , false unity churches preach another fake reconcilation .
Has anyone ever thought on that one .
Has anyone ever noticed that today our version of reconcilation has nothing to do with MAN TO GOD
but rather man to man and the world to be as one . FOLKS better wake up is all i can say and fast too .
That kind of reconcilation that most our churches preach today , IS RECONCILATION TO BE AS ONE WITH THE BEAST .
I call a spade a spade . Its true i am direct . BUT its how we should have been .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reconciliation is a restoration to friendship. My follow up question is How reconciled are we? I don't believe our reconciliation to God "switches off" if we sin. If we are reconciled in Christ, that's not in ourselves, and that's the way it is. We are reconciled to God in Christ, no longer His enemy. That does not change if we commit a sin. Suddenly we are His enemy again? That would mean we've returned to the flesh creature. I don't believe that happens.

So we move to fellowship. Sin separated us from God, but in Christ we are reconciled. What is the separation you are thinking of? Our feeling that we are OK with God and therefore can enjoy our thoughts of being with Him? That God is now going to shut my mind from any awareness of His presence? It's not with my senses that I know He is with me. My faith tells me that.

Is it that God will no longer care for my needs in His love? Certainly not!

What is fellowship with God to you? Is it the continual casual conversation, the reliance on Him, as He provides for my needs? Is it to reflect in my heart towards Him, knowing His is with me, is leading me, strengthening me, loving me? Is it the quiet mind that wants to not be in the way when He speaks? That sits at His Word seeking just to absorb whatever such a flimsy creature as I can?

It's faith in His Presence, and that faith is not unrewarded. And it's completely based in being reconciled to God in Christ Jesus, not in fulfilling my current mental version of Law, and keeping up with such sins as I care to admit to myself, and to God, promising never never to do it again.

But when we commit sin we condemn ourselves, our faith evaporates, and we aren't looking at God. We're thinking He's tossed us away, and now we can come back to Him in sufficient contriteness that He will restore me to fellowship. And our faith now bouyed up we pray in faith to God, we look to Him as we did before. This is what I see happening.

Since I've come to realize that my reconciliation is fully in Christ, and not myself, I've learned that it was only my lack of faith that shut me out from God. He was there all the time, reaching into my life, into my heart, at all times, never a time He is not with me. And in times of sin is when this is most important, to break the cycle. We approach boldly, in time of need.

Where is the Scripture which teaches God deserts us when we sin? He has promised, I will never leave you nor forsake you. I believe His promise.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do the fake love , false love , false unity churches preach another fake reconcilation .
Has anyone ever thought on that one .
I don't know why people do what they do. But I believe settling this matter of our forgiveness releases us into lives of faith and fruitfulness.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know why people do what they do. But I believe settling this matter of our forgiveness releases us into lives of faith and fruitfulness.

Much love!
IF we are preaching and teaching the BIBLICAL JESUS . But any other version , well their will be no forgiveness and no reconcilation .
EITHER we preach BIBLE JESUS and BIBLE JESUS CRUCIFIED or we preach death .