Christian doctor may be fired after talking with a patient about God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you think of this?

I wrote an article today on the issue @ http://deanroberts.n...ient-about-god/

Don't you think it's reasonable for two adults to have an adult conversation about faith without someone complaining???

Good topic Dean!

While I certainly sympathize with the doctor, one must ask...how wise was he being a doctor to use his position to express his beliefs to someone who saw him as harassing him?

We, as Christians do not have the right to not be persecuted for what we say. The good doctor is in a place of respect in the temporal order in the community. If he wishes to preach the gospel...fine! But one must be ready to pay the price for that witness.

Perhaps more wisdom is in order.

Only speak to a patient about your faith WHEN he asks. There are contextual circumstances where a doctor can share his faith. Maybe he should wait for these circumstances to arrive....that is if he wishes to continue as a doctor.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People in positions of authority have to be really careful. I would certainly be fired if I used my position to witness - politics, religion, or personal opinion.

pilgrimjo

May 10, 2011
People in positions of authority have to be really careful. I would certainly be fired if I used my position to witness - politics, religion, or personal opinion.

It is the same thing in other postions, e.g. teaching, law, etc. Praying and asking for wisdom to speak or not to speak and the right timing is important. I don't know the details and whether or not the patient seemed open to this. Or just what and how this was said.

I do recall over 20 years ago when I was given a forecast at what might be the result of six months of chemotherapy treatment, i.e., how long I may live. The chemo doctor said.."You could live 2 years, 5 years, and maybe 10." So, I said.."In other words this is in the hands of God." And he said, "Yes." I went with that as encouragment and honesty. Of course, I am the one who introduced "God" into the equation. btw, I have lived 22 years since then. And, thanks be to God, no more chemo since. God was in the healing process and still is.

It sounds though like the mother is over reacting to something which could have been basically good for her son. We need to pray for this doctor who likely acted out of courage and conviction that this would help the patient.

I feel compassion for this doctor. But I really don't know what he said and how he said it and I don't know what type of person the doctor was. Just because he was a Christian does not necessarily indicate to me that his comments were appropriate or wise. Still..good to pray..

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really have to be care as a professional because a lot of times the client is fine with the conversation in the office, but change their minds after talking with a friend or family member. People are funny that way - not just about religious topics either. I've witnessed clients having breakthroughs in therapy and then come back the next week with a completely different take on the situation. Many people rely on a mixture of others opinions to formulate their own opinions.

I've also seen clients, I've worked with for months with great success, have one hard session, which ends up changing their view of the entire counseling experience. Or they decide the at I made a poor decision for them, even though I am very clear about the fact that I do not give advice or make decisions for my clients.

Once again, professionals have to be careful.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The article states that the physician was working in Kent. I don't know about labor laws in UK, but in many uS states we've got a right-to-work law which means that an employer can fire an employee for ANY reason. How that equates to right-to-work is a twist on words that eludes me.

In that situation, unless a physican has a specific contract or tenure, he or she can be let go for any reason at any time.

In America we've got the ACLU, which can sometimes defend a person's rights unless of course that person is a Christian. I have no idea if such an organization exists for bretheren of the faith.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The article states that the physician was working in Kent. I don't know about labor laws in UK, but in many uS states we've got a right-to-work law which means that an employer can fire an employee for ANY reason. How that equates to right-to-work is a twist on words that eludes me.

In that situation, unless a physican has a specific contract or tenure, he or she can be let go for any reason at any time.

In America we've got the ACLU, which can sometimes defend a person's rights unless of course that person is a Christian. I have no idea if such an organization exists for bretheren of the faith.

I just asked about that right-to-work law - the answer I got was that as an employee, you have to right to continue working a job or quit anytime and the employer has the right to fire or continue to retain you. Also, even though you can be fired for any reason, the employer has to be able to prove that you are guilty of the reason - if they distort the truth or cannot prove the reason, you can sue

I didn't find the answer very comforting.....

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I live in Florida. When an employer fires someone here, they don't have to prove anything to anybody. It's just bye bye and that's all folks.

In fact, when that guy who's been laid off goes to the unemployment office to apply for benefits, proof that it wasn't his fault must be given.
Usually that's just a statement on a form.

The unemployment office calls the employer and asks for verification for the reasons for firing. If it's the employee's fault, no benefits. If the employer lies, then no benefits. The former employee can go through a lengthy process of appeal. Litigation is also possible. Hey, the poor guy is out of work and needs groceries. If he could afford a lawyer chances are he wouldn't be asking for benefits in the first place.

Been there and done that boys and girls, I know the process intimately. Played the game all the way through.

The employer has ALL the advantage and the guy who's fired must simply suck it up and move on.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I think it comes down to this:

If the doctor volunteered the advise without a request from the patient, he was wrong.

If the patient asked his personal opinion/advise on the matter then the doctor should not be taken to task for it.

The one exception would be if the doctor said that the person could pray and thus it was not necessary to see medical treatment.