• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think church is necessary for spiritual growth and evangelism?

• Total voters

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think so? Here's St? Ignatius who received these things from St.John and the apostles and was made Bishop of the Church in Antioch by them..

They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again. Those, therefore, who speak against this gift of God, incur death in the midst of their disputes. But it were better for them to treat it with respect, that they also might rise again.

St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans (Roberts-Donaldson translation)

This is the Orthodox, Catholic faith received from Christ, through the apostles..

Who are you? To call my brothers and sisters from the Feast?

Shame on you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
The feast wont be found in the CC . Ps , i do communion , i just dont and wont do it with those who teach falsehoods .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The feast wont be found in the CC . Ps , i do communion , i just dont and wont do it with those who teach falsehoods .

Oh, the irony... If Rome is your stumbling block brother, then come to the Feast with Alexandria, come with Constantinople.. But Come!

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think so? Here's St? Ignatius who received these things from St.John and the apostles and was made Bishop of the Church in Antioch by them..

They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again. Those, therefore, who speak against this gift of God, incur death in the midst of their disputes. But it were better for them to treat it with respect, that they also might rise again.

St. Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans (Roberts-Donaldson translation)

This is the Orthodox, Catholic faith received from Christ, through the apostles..

Who are you? To call my brothers and sisters from the Feast?

Shame on you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Interesting letter. This is not recorded in the bible is it?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting letter. This is not recorded in the bible is it?

Hello devin,

It kinda is.. :

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Reactions: dev553344

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is church?
When I was a youngster, "church" was something you did on Sunday morning whether you liked it or not.
Sunday School was a little more interesting but not much. I found it all rather confusing actually....I had bits here and bits there of various Bible stories, but never knew how to connect them. I loved the illustrations in my little KJV picture Bible, but was never taught the meaning of any of it. So church was not appealing to me at all.
Should you go? Why?
We were told we had to go.....I don't remember ever wanting to. It was like some kind of duty. If you didn't go, then you might end up in that place where God roasts bad humans.

What if it's just awful?
It always was...boring as all get out....I would walk in empty and walk out the same way.
I would watch people I knew pick up their Christianity at the door and then leave it there on their way out.
I knew Jesus hated hypocrites.....so what was that all about?

What if the Pastor/Preacher says something heretical?
On studying the Bible later in my early twenties, I found out that most of what they taught was heretical. But no one ever corrected them. The heresies were so ingrained in the church teaching that is was not possible to even suggest that there might be a problem.

What if I don't feel blessed after going to church?
Can't say I ever felt good walking into a building where what people wore was more the topic of women's gossip than the Bible. I never felt blessed.....I felt out of place.

Etc., etc., etc.?
Too many etc's to enumerate. Nothing made a lick of sense until I was ready to understand what the whole Bible taught, not just disconnected bits of it. I was tired of not getting any satisfying answers to my questions.

Two things bothered me the most......if God's law was "thou shalt not kill", then why were the churches up to their necks in supporting the wars? (Isaiah 1:15) Israel’s wars had God’s sanction because they were defending their God-given land. No one’s land today is God-given....mostly stolen.

The clergy were always there in the military salving consciences, because it never feels right to take a human life.
God told Noah....Genesis 9:5-6....NASB...
"And from every person, from every man as his brother I will require the life of a person.
6 Whoever sheds human blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God
He made mankind."
God does not sanction political wars, especially where the fighters on both sides claim him as their God. Whose side can God be on?
"If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also." (1 John 4:20-21)

Jesus also taught.... “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". (Matthew 5:43-44)

All that was conveniently pushed aside so that the church could be friends with the political leaders of the world. (James 4:4)

The other problem I had was "what happens to us when we die?"

Many funerals I had attended were clearly not 'good church folk' but apparently they were all in heaven with the Lord.
The undertone you might hear at the wake was that the person was most certainly in that other place.....
That really bothered me.
If they were going to tell God's truth from the Bible, why not explain where the dead are and why? What was the point of hiding it?
So this is just a brief rundown of why, at a young age, I no longer had any desire to attend "church".

Sorry to write another novel....:oops: but you did ask......:D

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was a youngster, "church" was something you did on Sunday morning whether you liked it or not.
Sunday School was a little more interesting but not much. I found it all rather confusing actually....I had bits here and bits there of various Bible stories, but never knew how to connect them. I loved the illustrations in my little KJV picture Bible, but was never taught the meaning of any of it. So church was not appealing to me at all.

We were told we had to go.....I don't remember ever wanting to. It was like some kind of duty. If you didn't go, then you might end up in that place where God roasts bad humans.

It always was...boring as all get out....I would walk in empty and walk out the same way.

I would watch people I knew pick up their Christianity at the door and then leave it there on their way out.
I knew Jesus hated hypocrites.....so what was that all about?

On studying the Bible later in my early twenties, I found out that most of what they taught was heretical. But no one ever corrected them. The heresies were so ingrained in the church teaching that is was not possible to even suggest that there might be a problem.

Can't say I ever felt good walking into a building where what people wore was more the topic of women's gossip than the Bible. I never felt blessed.....I felt out of place.

Too many etc's to enumerate. Nothing made a lick of sense until I was ready to understand what the whole Bible taught, not just disconnected bits of it. I was tired of not getting any satisfying answers to my questions.

Two things bothered me the most......if God's law was "thou shalt not kill", then why were the churches up to their necks in supporting the wars? (Isaiah 1:15) Israel’s wars had God’s sanction because they were defending their God-given land. No one’s land today is God-given....mostly stolen.

The clergy were always there in the military salving consciences, because it never feels right to take a human life.
God told Noah....Genesis 9:5-6....NASB...
"And from every person, from every man as his brother I will require the life of a person.
6 Whoever sheds human blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God
He made mankind."
God does not sanction political wars, especially where the fighters on both sides claim him as their God. Whose side can God be on?
"If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also." (1 John 4:20-21)

Jesus also taught.... “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you". (Matthew 5:43-44)

All that was conveniently pushed aside so that the church could be friends with the political leaders of the world. (James 4:4)

The other problem I had was "what happens to us when we die?"

Many funerals I had attended were clearly not 'good church folk' but apparently they were all in heaven with the Lord.
The undertone you might hear at the wake was that the person was most certainly in that other place.....
That really bothered me.
If they were going to tell God's truth from the Bible, why not explain where the dead are and why? What was the point of hiding it?
So this is just a brief rundown of why, at a young age, I no longer had any desire to attend "church".

Sorry to write another novel....:oops: but you did ask......:D
I think doctrinal integrity is optional equipment for funerals nearly everywhere in the Christian tradition, at least. Not saying it's right, just that that seems to be the way things are.

You might appreciate this:
(lol)

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think doctrinal integrity is optional equipment for funerals nearly everywhere in the Christian tradition, at least. Not saying it's right, just that that seems to be the way things are.

You might appreciate this:
(lol)

If only they were all that truthful......:D

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Too many gather under what makes them FEEL GOOD . They are led by the carnal lusts of their flesh .
They can even see dire and grave error , YET WONT LEAVE and wont correct . THEY JUST Like the way
the service makes them FEEL . I dont see the love for GOD in any of that , nor the love of the brethren .
CAUSE those who LOVE , WOULD correct and would warn folks to steer clear of any dangerous place or person .
Oh boy. Ain't that the truth. And that covers all denominations. Having a good time could apply to night clubs... And the music in many churches isn't much different to them.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello devin,

It kinda is.. :

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Can you consider my signature?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you consider my signature?

Hi Brakelite,

"Does this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where He was before? It is the Spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life". John 6:61-65

If His words are spirit and life (and they are), we should probably believe Him!

I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.

Pax et Bonum

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Brakelite,

"Does this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where He was before? It is the Spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life". John 6:61-65

If His words are spirit and life (and they are), we should probably believe Him!

I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.

Pax et Bonum

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
We are to eat... Internalize His words.
KJV Isaiah 55:11
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it

Thy words were found, and I did eat them: and Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by Thy name, O Lord God of Hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

KJV Matthew 4:4
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are to eat... Internalize His words

Hello Brakelite,

Sure. Here are some of them:

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him

And for 2000 years our brothers and sisters have recognized this as referring to the Eucharist.

Here's some more of St. Ignatius:

in obedience to the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote which prevents us from dying, but a cleansing remedy driving away evil, [which causes] that we should live in God through Jesus Christ

Ignatius of Antioch to the Ephesians (Roberts-Donaldson translation)

Pax et Bonum!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, so "Church..." is transubstantiation. Which is necessary for spiritual growth and evangelism. Got it.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok, so "Church..." is transubstantiation. Which is necessary for spiritual growth and evangelism. Got it.

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Does the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world stand on four legs?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody is strange….you....me….and the guy next door, but Christians should not be strangers.

I believe there are a lot of serious Christians on this forum.

But one of the things that surprised me is that a lot do not go to church. And it seems that they have different reasons. But if they are not going to church and not participating in church activities, what are they doing? Are they strange? Are they estranged from the church? LOL That is a funny. Are they hermits? Home bodies? I think some are hermits because of mental and or physical issues. Some use to go to church but are now elderly and it is difficult. In the distant past some of the well known Christians lived in trees, towers, caves, cemeteries, the wilderness…..just them and God. Why? It is a long story. It is not like they were taking examples from Christ or the Apostles.

Can the Bible help with this? Sure it tells us to assemble and give to the church, but the Bible is not real big on friends or relationships or the benefits of church. Christ never told the Apostles to write things down or build churches. So why are Bibles and churches important now? There are actually reasons why Bibles and churches are important.

Some people have issues or have had bad experiences with Churches. For the first 300 years, there were no church buildings. The Romans would have just known where to get’em! LOL So you had congregations that would gather in people’s homes, in underground catacombs, the wilderness etc. But now we have churches everywhere and we are free to fellowship and gather to worship the Lord, yet some do not. What would Christ want us to do? It is an honest question.

Some would say they do not need the church. And I would say, does the church need you? If we are not “hanging” with other Christians, who are we hanging with? Wouldn’t it be a good thing to gather…spend time with other Christians. I like Christians, I like being around Christians. That does not mean I believe exactly what they believe. Who could keep up with that? I go to several churches of different denominations. I do not think any of them are perfect….but is perfect the point? I go to different churches because I enjoy them and I stand and worship the Lord with people of different denominations …church activities…help with plays…dinners, or painting …church camps whatever….I do that because I enjoy it…but also my ministry is the Johnny Appleseed of Truth….I do not try to change their beliefs…just plant seeds of truth.

There are people on this forum that have expertise with different biblical topics….does the church need that input? Does God want to work through you?

When I was young my family was big on Bluegrass music and Christian songs. That is why I knew Christ when I was still tooling around in diapers on my tricycle. We would gather in someone’s home and fellowship and play music and eat till we could not stand up! Well that is a church. Anywhere Christians gather and worship the Lord is a church. And my point with this is that we should gather with other Christians….not because their beliefs are perfect…or they believe exactly what you believe…but for fellowship with other Christians and worshipping the Lord.

There is something to be said about Christian families and friends. Something to be said about children and grand children growing up with families that are active Christians…it is everything…a Christian atmosphere at home, church and dinners and recreational activities that include Christ. They grow up knowing Christ and Christianity.

Some are comfortable with being hermits or hermit families, but is there anything in the Bible that would suggest that is the way. Of course I recommend going to church but I also recommend gathering with Christian friends and discussing the scriptures and praying together.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody is strange….you....me….and the guy next door, but Christians should not be strangers.

I believe there are a lot of serious Christians on this forum.

But one of the things that surprised me is that a lot do not go to church. And it seems that they have different reasons. But if they are not going to church and not participating in church activities, what are they doing? Are they strange? Are they estranged from the church? LOL That is a funny. Are they hermits? I think some are hermits because of mental and or physical issues. Some use to go to church but are now elderly and it is difficult. In the distant past some of the well known Christians live in trees, towers, caves, cemeteries, the wilderness, and caves…..just them and God. Why? It is a long story. It is not like they were taking examples from Christ or the Apostles.

Can the Bible help with this? Sure it tells us to assemble and give to the church, but the Bible is not real big on friends or relationships or the benefits of church. Christ never told the Apostles to write things down or build churches. So why are Bibles and churches important now? There are actually reasons why Bibles and churches are important.

Some people have issues or have had bad experiences with Churches. For the first 300 years, there were no church buildings. The Romans would have just known where to get’em! LOL So you had congregations that would gather in people’s homes, in underground catacombs, the wilderness etc. But now we have churches everywhere and we are free to fellowship and gather to worship the Lord, yet some do not. What would Christ want us to do? It is an honest question.

Some would say they do not need the church. And I would say, does the church need you? If we are not “hanging” with other Christians, who are we hanging with? Wouldn’t be a good thing to gather…spend time with other Christians. I like Christians, I like being around Christians. That does not mean I believe exactly what they believe. Who could keep up with that? I go to several churches of different denominations. I do not think any of them are perfect….but is perfect the point? I go to different churches because I enjoy them and I stand and worship the Lord with people of different denominations …church activities…help with plays…dinners, or painting …church camps whatever….I do that because I enjoy it…but also my ministry is the Johnny Appleseed of Truth….I do not try to change their beliefs…just plant seeds of truth.

There are people on this forum that have expertise with different biblical topics….does the church need that input? Does God want to work through you?

When I was young my family was big on Bluegrass music and Christian songs. That is why I knew Christ when I was still tooling around in diapers on my tricycle. We would gather in someone’s home and fellowship and play music and eat till we could not stand up! Well that is a church. Anywhere Christians gather and worship the Lord is a church. And my point with this is that we should gather with other Christians….not because their beliefs are perfect…or they believe exactly what you believe…but for fellowship with other Christians and worshipping the Lord.

There is something to be said about Christian families and friends. Something to be said about children and grand children growing up with families that are active Christians…it is everything…a Christian atmosphere at home, church and dinners and recreational activities that include Christ. They grow up knowing Christ and Christianity.

Some are comfortable with being hermits or hermit families, but is there anything in the Bible that would suggest that is the way. Of course I recommend going to church but I also recommend gathering with Christian friends and discussing the scriptures and praying together.
Thank you, GH. Very thoughtful words, indeed. :)

Reactions: Brakelite

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no peace, or happiness without our God and Holy religion!

Hebrews 2:12
Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of thechurch will I sing praise unto thee.