Co-resurrections

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ephrem Hagos

Apr 21, 2011
According to the Good News from the glorious and blessed God, what are the names of some of “God’s people who had died but were raised to life” on equal terms with Jesus Christ as the “God of the living”?
(Matt. 27: 50-56)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi woldyesus!

what are the names of some of “God’s people who had died but were raised to life”
The bible does not specify who these saints were but we can probably exclude Moses and Elijah Matthew 17:3 and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Matthew 22:32, Joshua Zechariah 3:4

...but possibly include Samuel 1 Samuel 28:12, 13, 14, 15.

on equal terms with Jesus Christ
Please clarify your meaning here because the bible says that he was the firstborn from the dead Colossians 1:18, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep 1 Corinthians 15:20

Blessings!!!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
How about
Enoch Gen 5:23-24
Angelina

This might turn in to an interesting topic........... Less, the on equal terms phrase---> Phil 2:6

Enoch and Elijah may not have joined the dead, but yet we see Mosses and Elijah before the resurrection?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Indeed! :) Elisha may possibly be, one of these risen saints also 2 Kings 13:21

How about these two together

Mark 9:11-13
[sup]11 [/sup]And they asked Him, saying, “Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”
[sup]12 [/sup]Then He answered and told them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and restores all things. And how is it written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt? [sup]13 [/sup]But I say to you that Elijah has also come, and they did to him whatever they wished, as it is written of him.”

Matthew 11:11-14

[sup]11 [/sup]“Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. [sup]12 [/sup]And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. [sup]13 [/sup]For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. [sup]14 [/sup]And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. [sup]15 [/sup]He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

Oh and I can't forget Gabriel

Luke 1
[sup]13 [/sup]But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. [sup]14 [/sup]And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. [sup]15 [/sup]For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. [sup]16 [/sup]And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. [sup]17 [/sup]He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’[sup][b][/sup] and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Now that's another topic entirely Rex...

... I would like to focus on the O/P
what are the names of some of “God’s people who had died but were raised to life”

Based on scripture, can anyone else think of any other saints that may have been risen during this time? - Matthew 27:50-56 :huh:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You can also start another thread Rex ... ;) but I'm interested in this one because it tends lean heavily towards this verse

1 Corinthians 15
[sup]51 [/sup]Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— [sup]52 [/sup]in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead[sup] [/sup]will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. [sup]53 [/sup]For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. [sup]54 [/sup]When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

[sup]55 [/sup]“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”

[sup]56 [/sup]The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. [sup]57 [/sup]But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Rex.... I'm still following the O/P. Just thinking out loud, that's all

King David could have risen during this time... :huh: [possibly - unsure though]

Acts 2
29 “Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
35 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet.”

36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
That cool I'll leave you can have your topic

You lead I'll watch

But I still think your taking the long way around to the same "conclusion"

BUT there is no greater joy than working out your own salvation.
Discovering in the leading and power of the Spirit the truth and depth of God being made know to you

God Bless

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was hoping that this was going to be a stroll DB ;) never mind...I'll keep walking then...some times the best revelation comes from these gentile walks [in the cool of the garden] as Adam use to walk with God...

Shalom Achi!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Yes they do
I hope someone else has something to say, its a great topic but you've got to have a solid foundation as I'm certain you do. ;)
BTW whats DB

The Lord is certainly leading you to new heights. I nor anyone else can do that least He allow it

I don't speak about it, I've been fishing, feeling you out in a sense, I believe your well on your way. And your on the right path it simply looks a bit different than mine.

Makes me ponder If the one post wonder that started this conversation will be back or If they are just another finger of God

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have an old friend who see's himself as a prophet of God. He and I used to discuss matters very much like this subject but would call it "a walk in the cool of the evening" meaning: that we were going to discuss a subject leisurely...without too much stress or heavy debating...I enjoy that type of discussion. Usually end up agreeing to disagree... ;) but in the nicest possible way..."praise God".[Dear Brother]

Gnite!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I don't profess to be a prophet, but I am being made into the image of Christ.
The things we could be talking about is not something that should be done in public. I just want you to know your on a threshold and I sense you know that as well your holding all the keys.

God Bless you I just looked at my watch and couldn't believe the time
Bless you sister, that's a gift

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
According to the Good News from the glorious and blessed God, what are the names of some of “God’s people who had died but were raised to life” on equal terms with Jesus Christ as the “God of the living”?

There are none...

Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Hezekiah

Oct 30, 2012
There are none...

Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Excellent post!! God bless.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi John!

woldeyesus, on 23 November 2012 - 04:03 AM, said: According to the Good News from the glorious and blessed God, what are the names of some of “God’s people who had died but were raised to life” on equal terms with Jesus Christ as the “God of the living”?

your quote:
There are none...

These verses only prove that these saints did not receive the promises when they died. It does not say that they did not receive those promises when Christ died and rose again.

Note:

I personally do not believe that those who died before Christ, waiting on the promised redeemer are the same as those who died in Christ. The saints mentioned in Matthew 27:50-53 may be considered part of the first fruits but the bible does not indicate whether these saints went into heaven after that time. There is, however, a hint of the saints possibly being led into heaven in this verse.

Ephesians 4
[sup]7 [/sup]But to each one of us grace[sup] [/sup]has been given as Christ apportioned it. [sup]8 [/sup]This is why it says:
“When he ascended on high,
he led captives in his train

and gave gifts to men.”

[sup]9 [/sup]What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? [sup]10 [/sup]He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.

Matthew 27:53 states that the saints arose and came out of their graves after Christ's resurrection which falls into line with the above passage.

I believe that the above verse refers to "The Day of the Lord" or "The Return of the King"

Please note: 1 Thess 4:13
[sup]13 [/sup]Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep,[sup] [/sup]or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. [sup]14 [/sup]We believe that Jesus died and rose again[sup] [/sup]and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

These one's are not in the grave but in heaven...

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Mat 27:52 And the graves [G3419 - mnemeion] were opened; and many bodies of the saints [G40 - hagios] which slept [G2837 - koiao] arose,
Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, [G1454 - egersis] and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

G3419 mnēmeion - graves
From G3420; a remembrance, that is, cenotaph (place of interment): - grave, sepulchre, tomb.

G40 hagios - saints
From a̔́γος hagos compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated): - (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

G2837 koimaō - slept
From G2749; to put to sleep, that is, (passively or reflexively) to slumber; figuratively to decease: - (be a-, fall a-, fall on) sleep, be dead.

G1454 egersis - resurrection
From G1453; a resurgence (from death): - resurrection

Blessings!!!

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
Hi! Everyone
Ummm, forgive me ... but could someone please tell me what exactly is the O/P question meaning to ask?
It' seems to be kinna' lost to my feeble brain.
Is it concerning who are the "many bodies of the saints"? Or, is it seeking to clarify about the "firstborn of the dead"?
I agree with what Rex has said, "This might turn in to an interesting topic".

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi MT!
The O/Pr was inquiring if anyone knew who the saints were...who arose after Christ's resurrection in Matthew 27:50-53 ^_^