Commitment Over Marriage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope it didn’t come across that I was sitting in judgement on April, it was more from the motive of reflecting on the whole subject of marriage in Gods eyes because of how she had evaluated it. I have no right to sit in judgement on April, not with my own past xx Rita

I'm not sure why you're saying this. I didn't think you were judging April.

Reactions: April_Rose

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You need to get married in the eyes of God and legally BEFORE having sex. And you need to be faithful to your spouse and only have sex with him....
Nonsense.

(Genesis 38:16) And Judah saw her, and took her for a whore, because she had covered her face. And he turned to her in the way and said, "Come, let me come to you".

It will be even better: This "whore" is the mother of Yeshua.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.

(Genesis 38:16) And Judah saw her, and took her for a whore, because she had covered her face. And he turned to her in the way and said, "Come, let me come to you".

It will be even better: This "whore" is the mother of Yeshua.
Wow! You are profane! Even if the mods don't see this, God does! Nothing is hidden from Him.

Last edited:

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Wow! You are profane! Even if the mods don't see this, God does! Nothing is hidden from Him.
I was just quoting the Bible and Tamar is the mother of Yeshua. Where have I blasphemed God? Because I have said the truth?
Who are you?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you would ever want to talk, including me sharing personal stories or stuff, feel free to PM me. I am sorry that things were so poorly received at the beginning.

And of course, prayers for you and your beloved.

Thanks but I sort of don't really trust you enough right now to open up with you. No offense or anything.

Would you agree with the view a committed defacto relationship is equivalent to marriage today?

Pretty much.

Hi Prayer warrior, I just wanted to check as it’s easy to convey something without any intent, but it can be read it in a different way xxx

You're fine, I just sent you a PM. :)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks but I sort of don't really trust you enough right now to open up with you. No offense or anything.
Ok, I acknowledge your call there and don't hold it against you at all (such would be very silly of me). I do believe very strongly in God's gift of marriage. And i again apologize if something miscommunicated or was uncalled for rashly said.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, I acknowledge your call there and don't hold it against you at all (such would be very silly of me). I do believe very strongly in God's gift of marriage. And i again apologize if something miscommunicated or was uncalled for rashly said.

Yeah I don't like how you sounded at first so trust isn't just something you automatically get with me,.. you have to earn it.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I don't like how you sounded at first so trust isn't just something you automatically get with me,.. you have to earn it.
April, I'm not sure what you want here.
I believe STRONGLY in the sacredness of God's gift/covenant. I can't deny that. If me believing in that upsets you, I'm sorry you're upset- I really am. But that doesn't change the fact that I do strongly hold those beliefs and I can't deny those beliefs either.

I am well aware that many many (the majority) Christian couples nowadays have sexual relationship before marriage. Obviously. I could give you dozens of examples of couples I know very closely and love very closely whom are in that boat. I know them, what they are don't, strongly believe what they are doing isn't part of God's plan, but I do still love them and am very close.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was older when I got married, almost 30. One thing I had to tell myself is that you're not married until you're married. Even being engaged is not the same as being married. The marriage commitment (meaning being legally married) helps ensure that the other person doesn't walk away on a whim. Also, this level of commitment is best for any children you may have.
@Prayer Warrior This is the Scriptural way that honours the Lord.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I finally decided to bring this up considering the fact that my fiancee and I have slept together several times now, and even though we still do plan on getting married we've been together since high school so I sort of feel like we're married in the heart so I feel like we're married already and a ceremony is just that and a certificate is just a piece of paper. I think that all God means is not to have a one-night stand.

this is an interesting topic. The Quaker Church considers marriage to have occurred if the couple stands up on a Sunday and declares themselves committed to each other before God, as witnessed by the congregation. This is the case with silent Quakers and Evangelical Quakers (Bible based/with ministers) as far as I know. It is rare for Quakers to register at the courthouse for a marriage certificate.

Do you consider yourself and your fiancé married before God? If you broke up, would you consider yourself divorced?

I had a less than normal 20 year marriage so I am in no position to judge your situation, I am just curious

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard Olivia Newton John singing in my head while reading the OP.
Let's get Biblical, biblical, I want to get biblical..
Oh wait that was physical.. I like mine better.

So who married Adam and Eve?
Adam said.. Hey woman, your mine. I'm yours. And we are gonna grow soooo old together.
Of Course it was God who created the woman for the man, but it was Adam who declared her his wife.

Now I been married 2 times. Divorced 2 times. And now I live alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. For me.
That piece of paper aint no gaurantee.
Yeah you might get some tax credits or place you on a statistics chart, But it aint God.

Are you willing to spend the rest of your lives together through thick and thin, ups and downs, and wherever the road leads?
Do you share the same foundational beliefs in right and wrong?
Do you both believe God brought you 2 together forever and ever amen?

Adam meet your wife Eve.
God Bless you both.
If it's meant to be, it will be
forever and ever,
AMEN.

HUGS

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I finally decided to bring this up considering the fact that my fiancee and I have slept together several times now, and even though we still do plan on getting married we've been together since high school so I sort of feel like we're married in the heart so I feel like we're married already and a ceremony is just that and a certificate is just a piece of paper. I think that all God means is not to have a one-night stand.

Well the act of intercourse is the act that consumates a marriage.

God has called us to obey governing authorities, and in america the authorities say you must get married. If you love each other you should want to di things right before God!

Without anger, I say right now you two are simply shacking up! Make it legal and right before God and enter into teh bond of marriage! If you love each other and seek to sever God- it should be no problem what so ever! It is a record of you rcommitment to love and serve each other before God and man!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you consider yourself and your fiancé married before God? If you broke up, would you consider yourself divorced?

I've already been over this so many times that I'm not answering questions like this anymore.

I heard Olivia Newton John singing in my head while reading the OP.
Let's get Biblical, biblical, I want to get biblical..
Oh wait that was physical.. I like mine better.

So who married Adam and Eve?
Adam said.. Hey woman, your mine. I'm yours. And we are gonna grow soooo old together.
Of Course it was God who created the woman for the man, but it was Adam who declared her his wife.

Now I been married 2 times. Divorced 2 times. And now I live alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. For me.
That piece of paper aint no gaurantee.
Yeah you might get some tax credits or place you on a statistics chart, But it aint God.

Are you willing to spend the rest of your lives together through thick and thin, ups and downs, and wherever the road leads?
Do you share the same foundational beliefs in right and wrong?
Do you both believe God brought you 2 together forever and ever amen?

Adam meet your wife Eve.
God Bless you both.
If it's meant to be, it will be
forever and ever,
AMEN.

HUGS

Yes,.. excellent point! *Hugs back*

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you know my view on this, AprilRose: in God's eyes you were married the first time you had sex. Congratulations on your decision to get the piece of paper, though. Then, you won't have people sinning every time this topic comes up and they start judging you ("Judge not, that you be not judged"). The piece of paper is more for them, so they stop judging/sinning. I pray you and your husband have many more years together.

Please, no one needs to argue with me about my views. Don't tell me how God performed the marriage ceremony for Adam & Eve, because God did no such thing. Even you literalists should know not to add to God's word. God does not recognize the principalities (authorities) of this world.
That is not remotely accurate of anyone's views here.
I'm fine with you having your view. But please don't so drastically misrepresent or disrespect mine.